Wherigo for J2ME

matejcik

I'll check on the TrekBuddy thing later, but at the time of installation of openwig I opened the permissions wide open for everything. I'll have to look into the certificate store thing as well - not sure how that works. Also not sure (yet) if it makes a difference if the cart files are on the device or the extended memory card. Will keep you posted!

the certificate from Thawte, which seems to be the most widely recognized cert authority, is $300 a year

i might set up a Donate button for this purpose, but first i'll try to get somebody to sign openwig for me for free :)

anyway, the whole situation with certificates is complex and it only serves for marketing and/or vendor lock purposes. what you are seeing is a configuration so stupid that its only purpose can be to nag developers to buy a certificate. (the policy seems to be "ask about every file operation", as opposed to "ask once for each file")

......which might mean that even if i did get a thawte cert, it still wouldn't work on your device - because your carrier decided that they only want to recognize their own certs.

you can try checking application permissions for openwig, to see if you can switch them to something more reasonable.

or you might look into installing your own root certificates - if that was possible, i could sign the certificate myself and tell you to install the cert first and the application afterwards. but this is impossible on vast majority of phones.

also, make sure that you can install TrekBuddy from http://trekbuddy.net/ and that your BB recognizes its signature

Thanks to our Penguin friend from Up North - it appears to be running on my Samsung Code (WM6 Classic). Alas, I've got a little 320x240 screen and it looks like poo with JBED being intended for VGA... But hey - I'm going to run out in the next day or two and try it anyway.

Somehow I missed the Tux'd Ones' post re: JBED 080912 working where the prior links wouldn't. Doh! I literally killed the entire day trying to get GPSGate and GPSPort to talk to it. After updating JBED (and I'm using the SD version to move it off onto the storage card), it's finally seeing the GPS and loading the module. All APPEARS healthy, so I'm going to risk the 48mi round-trip to run out there and see if I can figure it out.

Seriously, though, GREAT WORK and INCREDIBLE EFFORT to knock this off in an Open Source sorta way that supports maximum devices. KUDOS!

Well... I might have spoken a bit soon.. It appears to function and reports a Lat/Lon for the GPS, but the tutorial module wouldn't even let me get as far as wearing the Space Suit because of "not optimal GPS signal".

GCzII was reporting +/- 7ft.

I need to poke around and find the log file, me-thinks.

Altitude is uninitialized, no 3D position fix, maybe? Think that would blow-up the tutorial cartridge?

I won't paste the whole log since it's just me moving around eight or nine blocks on foot and trying it again. I can link it if like.

Would hugely appreciate your input since there's really no error state there that would give me any "aha!" moment myself, other than it being a 2D fix.

[start of the logfile]

-------------------

cartridge Wherigo Player Tutorial started (openWIG r344)

-------------------

7:31:54|38.5599|-121.3274|NaN|NaN|:: EVNT: Wherigo Player Tutorial.OnStart

7:31:54|38.5599|-121.3274|NaN|NaN|:: CALL: Dialog - "Hello there! I'm Captain Jon and I need your help. This adventure tutorial will teach you how to na

7:31:54|38.5599|-121.3274|NaN|NaN|:: PROP: nameinput.Text is set to Unidentified Species Detected: Type in a name for the Alien and hit OK.

7:31:54|38.5599|-121.3274|NaN|NaN|:: EEND: Wherigo Player Tutorial.OnStart

7:32:38|38.5599|-121.3275|NaN|NaN|:: EVNT: Spacesuit.OnWear

7:32:38|38.5599|-121.3275|NaN|NaN|:: CALL: MessageBox - "Your GPS signal is not optimal. Try moving around to get better reception. You may have to change y

7:32:38|38.5599|-121.3275|NaN|NaN|:: EEND: Spacesuit.OnWear

7:32:51|38.5599|-121.3275|NaN|NaN|:: EVNT: Spacesuit.OnWear

7:32:51|38.5599|-121.3275|NaN|NaN|:: CALL: MessageBox - "Your GPS signal is not optimal. Try moving around to get better reception. You may have to change y

7:32:51|38.5599|-121.3275|NaN|NaN|:: EEND: Spacesuit.OnWear

[sNIP! ... 8KB Later ... End of the log file]

8:28:29|38.5598|-121.3277|NaN|NaN|:: EVNT: Spacesuit.OnWear

8:28:29|38.5598|-121.3277|NaN|NaN|:: CALL: MessageBox - "Your GPS signal is not optimal. Try moving around to get better reception. You may have to change y

8:28:29|38.5598|-121.3277|NaN|NaN|:: EEND: Spacesuit.OnWear

I did have several restarts in that period, seeing if they'd help. Even a phone reboot and wait for warm-up...

Phone is a Samsung "Code" (SCH-i220), WM6 Classic. Qualcom GPSOne chipset for the GPS, GCzII sees it on COM1. JBED 080912

It just feels like this should be working. All the functionality is there, and I can obviously connect to the GPS, so why not?

Oh oh - searching the registry, allegedly there's a GPS log file at \windows\GPSLogFile.txt. Let's go see what's in it... Wishful thinking on the part of the registry. No such log file, even though the "IsEnabled" regkey is 1

I'm not sure where to go from there at first-blush. Any advice?

Thanks again!

--- A

[edit]

Here's the middle of the log file, I just realized that made it look like I was trying from the same place for an hour. I walked around and ended-up in the same place...

7:44:19|38.5606|-121.3263|NaN|NaN|:: EVNT: Spacesuit.OnWear

7:44:19|38.5606|-121.3263|NaN|NaN|:: CALL: MessageBox - "Your GPS signal is not optimal. Try moving around to get better reception. You may have to change y

7:44:19|38.5606|-121.3263|NaN|NaN|:: EEND: Spacesuit.OnWear

7:53:35|38.5623|-121.3245|NaN|NaN|:: EVNT: Spacesuit.OnWear

7:53:35|38.5623|-121.3245|NaN|NaN|:: CALL: MessageBox - "Your GPS signal is not optimal. Try moving around to get better reception. You may have to change y

7:53:35|38.5623|-121.3245|NaN|NaN|:: EEND: Spacesuit.OnWear

8:2:21|38.5592|-121.3275|NaN|NaN|:: EVNT: Spacesuit.OnWear

Edited by Adrenalynn

hard to tell - perhaps the JBed is not reporting altitude/precision data. if you could get the gpsport solution to work, we'd know for sure

Yeah, I spent a good six hours trying to get that going without any luck. Total exercise in frustration. Maybe I'll try switching jvm's again. [there goes another day... :) ]

Thanks for your thoughts!

Well - it appears I have it working with JBED 20090217.5.1R2 SD, combined with GPSPort 0.36. The catch is that I have to fire-off something like MetroNAV or GCzII or similar to bring the GPS live, then run GPSPort, JBED, OpenWIG, then task switch out, connect to COM8 (the actual GPS, not the "intermediate" abstraction on COM1) -

You know, I'll try the tutorial again when I get home tonight (I only got as far as successfully wearing the space suit), and if I'm able to fully complete it, I'll write a step-by-step for the MetroPCS/Samsung Code WM6 Classic...

As an aside: J9 was worthless. Not only was it clunky, it appeared to connect to the GPS, did return valid data, but when I tried to "Start" the module, it just went to "wait..." and after 15mins was still in that state.

As an aside: J9 was worthless. Not only was it clunky, it appeared to connect to the GPS, did return valid data, but when I tried to "Start" the module, it just went to "wait..." and after 15mins was still in that state.

in all likelihood, your J9 doesn't do JSR-75 (which is the part that allows openwig to access files)

there seem to be some versions of J9 that can do it floating around (google "ibm j9 jsr-75" returns some sensible results), but i can't tell how hard it is to actually get the right version

Thanks! I'm hopeful that this JBED version that seems to be working with be the ultimate trick. If so, I'll start a new thread (I've hammered this one enough, I think. :anicute: ) and do at least a brief write-up of all the fiddly-bits it takes to get it going.

in all likelihood, your J9 doesn't do JSR-75 (which is the part that allows openwig to access files)

there seem to be some versions of J9 that can do it floating around (google "ibm j9 jsr-75" returns some sensible results), but i can't tell how hard it is to actually get the right version

Working, with a caveat...

I was able to complete the tutorial module (Cheer! Thanks for your patience) and get a completion code.

The caveat, and this may well be due to the JBed implementation of the JVM, but: Generally on the first pass when I was supposed to be given something for inventory, or when something new would pop-up (like the alien), they wouldn't appear in my inventory, and I wouldn't be able to scan them. The first time, I started from scratch and the three items appeared in my inventory as appropriate. Then the landscape appeared and outcropping, which I was able to scan. But the alien didn't end-up being in the inventory or scanable. I saved my game, exited all the way out, came back in, backed up a step, and was notified and able to scan him (does that make any sense as described?)

Sorry for the poor bug report. I'll try to reproduce it a few more times from scratch and see if I can zero in on it.

Great work reversing this and opening the hood!

Thanks again!

--- A

attach file is somewhere around here, but it only works for zips.

anyway, here's what went down:

1. the first time around, when you scanned the outcropping, a message appeared: "You have discovered a cute but unidentifiable creature. (...)"

Did you see this message? Did you click "Ok" to continue?

2. the second time, when this message appeared and you clicked "Ok", another message appeared: "New Task: 'Scan' Alien with Transponder to name it"

after this, the alien was moved into the inventory.

the first time, for some reason, the callback was never initiated.

this happens to be the same problem that we saw on Android. i'll look into it in more detail, perhaps there is some kind of race condition that is killing the callbacks ... blah blah. i now have a pretty good idea of where the problem is lurking.

but you have to tell me: did you see and click through the dialog i mentioned?

attach file is somewhere around here, but it only works for zips.

anyway, here's what went down:

1. the first time around, when you scanned the outcropping, a message appeared: "You have discovered a cute but unidentifiable creature. (...)"

Did you see this message? Did you click "Ok" to continue?

2. the second time, when this message appeared and you clicked "Ok", another message appeared: "New Task: 'Scan' Alien with Transponder to name it"

after this, the alien was moved into the inventory.

the first time, for some reason, the callback was never initiated.

this happens to be the same problem that we saw on Android. i'll look into it in more detail, perhaps there is some kind of race condition that is killing the callbacks ... blah blah. i now have a pretty good idea of where the problem is lurking.

but you have to tell me: did you see and click through the dialog i mentioned?

Hi again,

Yes, I did see the message "You have discovered a cute but unidentifiable [...]" both times. Both times I clicked ok. And your assumption is correct - it was only moved into the inventory the second pass through, after restarting the engine and trying again.

As an aside, I headed out this afternoon and did a "real" Wherigo cache. It was pretty simplistic, just a virtual tour, no real interactivity.

In that instance, your code ran flawlessly, never once hiccuping nor crashing. The designer used _very_ tight range to get inside the zone, generally 1-1.5m, so it was a little frustrating just from GPS error, but nothing that your code could have helped with. Over a three hour period, 12+ tasks, many locations, it ran just fine. Nearly killed my cell battery, but other than that was a great adventure!

Thanks again!

--- A

FEEDBACKS AND PROBLEMS WITH OPENWIG AND WINCE5.0

I am using OpenWIG on WINCE 5.0 platform with the J2ME VM from PhoneME (http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~davy/phoneme/). It works but I use phoneME.exe directly to open the openWIG.jad directly.

I have the following problems :

1. when using directly the VM with a commande line I get :

"Exception

The application cannot be launched. One of the applilcation classes appears to be missing. This could be due to misnamed class. Contact the application provider to resolve this issue."

2. using the midletmanager of phoneME, the first steps ar OK (proposing to install the midlet and so on), but finally I get "invalid host format"

3. problem with this cartridge : "whack-a-lackey"

are locationless cartridge playable with openwig ?

1. when using directly the VM with a commande line I get :

"Exception(...)

my instructions earlier were incorrect. you need to run it like this:

runMidlet.exe -classpathext "OpenWIG.jar" "OpenWIG.jad" gui.Midlet

(it's the "gui.Midlet" part that is important)

2. using the midletmanager of phoneME, the first steps ar OK (proposing to install the midlet and so on), but finally I get "invalid host format"
i don't have the slightest idea what this is supposed to mean
3. problem with this cartridge : "whack-a-lackey"

are locationless cartridge playable with openwig ?

in general, yes. if you have a specific problem, please report a bug and provide all details (e.g. the error message and where it appears) Edited by matejcik

Hi,

i used the newest Version 0.4 on my Samsung Omnia. I can configure everything and can start the cartridge.

I also can type in the com-port. If i use connect my mobile phone (windows mobile 6.5) ask to connect to localhost. When I allow this OpenWig opens a connection to the Internet.

I tried different COM-Ports for the internal GPS and the external Bluetoothgps. Both the same.

What can I do to fix that problem?

Greetings

Jan

I need help,

i tried 2 Version of Esmertiv Jbed, one from 2008, one from 2009

aditionally midp-phoneme,

and openjvm0.4.1

but all with the problem, that there is no other option than tcp.

Maybe can someone send me a link of a jvm which really works, so i can test my device?

Greetings jan

maybe you can use a TCP redirector instead of different JVMs?

First, download the software called GPSPort. Run it, select your COM port and pick a TCP port number.

Keep it running and start OpenWIG. Go to Options, select "TCP socket" as GPS type, then click "Choose..." below the GPS box, and enter the TCP port number from GPSPort. Finally, click Save.

Afterwards, from the main menu go to "GPS" and click "Connect". Confirm any permission requests and soon you should see your GPS data.

Sorry, but I could use some help. I'd love to install & try on my Blackberry Curve 8310 but I'm having trouble. I've downloaded http://openwig.googlecode.com/files/openwig-0.3.07.zip, unzipped, and the application loader on my PC doesn't recognize anything to install.

Do I need to hit that link from the phone itself?

Looking forward to hearing back, and getting a chance to play!

BlackBerry folk, please try this build:

http://raketa.140.cz/openwig/openwig-bbgps.zip

for OTA:

http://raketa.140.cz/openwig/openwig-bbgps.jad

http://raketa.140.cz/openwig/openwig-bbgps.jar

the gps problems should (theoretically) be gone

I Used the .jar link. It works!!! Thanks!!!

The Steaks

i have installed it on my Nokia N97 mini and it works great. Only the special german signs ä/ö/ü/ß not shown correctly but it don't mind.

That's probably a builder issue. The Groundspeak builder conveniently :( eats accented characters for you. Earwigo supports all UTF-8 characters, and even "simple" accented characters like those you mentioned on Garmin. Urwigo didn't have accented character support when it launched, but I told the developers how to do it, so maybe it's been added by now.

Just to let people know openwig does work on my Nokia E72 phone as a java app. It does play the cartridge well. I do say save after every point just incase the java app stops working :laughing: so you do not have to go back to the start. Otherwise it works well :) Otherwise the only problem is unlocking the Wherigo page but that can be done with notepad and knowing where to look. :anibad:

Hello together,

I installed Openwig on my Smartphone Nokia N8. The installation could be finished and the cartridges run allready. But the saving and loading is a big problem. Between the cartridge runs, it tries to save the stations. But then there comes a sign up, that the saving couldnt be finished. Unfortunately I cannot start an interrupted and allegedly saved game. Is ther somone, who can help me with my problem?

Angie from TEam DaWo

certificate

It appears that BlackBerry now gives away signing keys http://adf.ly/5AT4H

I don't have any experience to help with this but I would like to see a BlackBerry player continued to be developed. The crackberry.com forums might have someone who can help out.

Thanks for the hard work, I do have it loaded on my BlackBerry and it appears to work at first glance.

I did a test with the spaceship intro cartridge and It worked! The issue is as others have found with saving progress. Any cartridge with autosave will do this too. I have looked at the code and once I get a compiler going I might try hacking a solution for BlackBerry. I would like to get it working on the Playbook as well since that seems how future BlackBerry handhelds will go.