Wherigo for J2ME

matejcik

Save games?

Thie weekend I gave this app 2 tries and both worked more or less well. Now I wanted to upload my save games (I triggered the Save menu several times especially at the end) to the Wherigo page and sew that besides my gwc I have one gwl and one ows (o, not g!).

I tried to upload them but neither worked. I changed ows to gws file extension but it didn't work either.

So: am I not able to upload/ log my OpenWIG caches?

Regards

Hi, thanks for all your work to bring Wherigo to plain folks :(

I installed openwig 0.3.92 (the latest version) on Nokia 6230i through PC Suite. (I was only able to see the jar file during the instalaltion, so I'm not sure if I transferred the jad file as well...) Then I downloaded two cartridges, one of them is "Cukarska paka" which should work.

I pressed "start" and browsed to the cartridge file, but I got "failed to open cartridge for reading" error. Tried googling the error and reading this thread, but with no success. Do you have any suggestions what the matter could be?

not really, but just yesterday somebody wrote that they have a similar problem with the same phone.

you can try opening the cartridge again and it might work. i have no clue why would this happen. (yet)

please try installing the older version, 0.3.91i and find out if that works more reliably. if it does, i can compare the version and see what might have gone wrong

Just manage to play through the tutorial cartridge on a Palm T3 with the 0.3.92 version using IBM java environment

Things to note for others.

1) To connect to a bluetooth gpsr choose "Serial port" and "rfcm"

2) Connect the the gps before playing and disconnect connect before exiting openwig.

2) Saving does take a bit of time - don't think the palms have ever been quick at writing to SD cards.

Thanks for this, I'll try out some other cartridges - probably the play anywhere ones as the current closest location based ones are a far travel away.

I just tried it on my N95 with the problem that no gps signal was detected. There is always a "no fix" in the display. I have selected "Internal GPS".

Any ideas what to do?

Okay, now it works. Tried an older version. So I don't know if the problem was caused by the newes version or by my phone (temporarily). I could check if this is important.

One other question:

What does 'Azim' mean at the navigation screen?

Oh, and what is enable logging and full command?

Thx!

Edited by DeeJay58

"enable logging" -> unlike official players, where logging (putting debug info into gwl files) is a property of the cartridge, in openwig you can turn logging on/off globally

"show full" -> Some phones don't wrap around multiple-choice texts. Meaning that if one of the choices in an input doesn't fit to screen width, the rest is lost. Newer Nokia phones have a "show" command that displays the full text of the option. If you enable this, openwig adds its own "show" command that works in the same way (for phones that don't provide it)

and while i'm at it... "refresh interval" specifies the number of seconds the phone waits before updating distance info on zone/item details screen. This is important, because many Nokia (and possibly other) phones scroll up whenever the distance is updated. So on those phones you effectively can't scroll down (e.g. if the description is longer than one screen, or if there is a picture), because the refresh scrolls you up every second.

Navigation screen (the one with arrow) is not affected, nor is the frequency of reading new position from GPS.

Thank you for those great answers! Everything is clear now! I'll give Wherigo a try in the next two weeks and I'm looking forward to find my first Wherigo as my 1000th cache. :D

Edit: so it doesn't really matter to me if logging is enabled or disabled?

Edited by DeeJay58

it doesn't matter for you as a player, as long as everything goes all right :e)

if something goes wrong, the generated log can help me fix a problem in openwig, or it can help the cartridge creator fix a problem with the cartridge.

so basically, unless you have a reason to turn it off, please keep it turned on.

Just found out about this app today because I was investigating a strange cache icon on the google map.

Downloaded the latest version to my BlackBerry 8330 Curve using the OTA link provided. App comes up with the message "Error starting OpenWIG: Symbol 'CommandListener.SELECT_COMMAND' not found."

So I took a hint from another post and went in to Applications and deleted it.

Then I downloaded the .zip of 3.91i and put the files on my webspace so I could OTA it from there. That gives me some kind of message about midlet 3.92 being present and I'm trying to load 3.91 so it fails on the install. I haven't been able to back up a version and try that.

I do realize I'm butchering the notation of the version numbers, but you get the point. Any hope for me to get this App running on my BlackBerry?? Or if I upgrade to the BlackBerry Tour will I have any better luck?

Ohhhkayyy, thanks to all for the non-help, but since I'm not that way here is the scoop:

BlackBerry 8330 Curve on Cellcom (a regional Midwest US carrier) unlocked. Software version 4.5.131 - it's the Sprint version, I just removed the vendor.cnf file and loaded it a long time ago.

0.3.92 did not work for me as dowloaded OTA - it gave me the error message listed above.

So I downloaded the zip of 0.3.91i and copied the jad/jar files to my webspace so I could load them OTA. I first deleted version 0.3.92.

Unfortunately the 0.3.91i version would not load properly because it said I had the 0.3.92 midlet already there and was trying to overwrite it with 0.3.91. So what now?

I downloaded a handy and cheap .jar to .a1x converter and converted the jar file to .a1x - then used the BlackBerry Desktop Manager's application installer to load it on the device. Bingo! Up it came and ran fine.

Then I had to figure out the GPS issue. I am using a Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 external bluetooth GPS because, honestly, the one built into the BlackBerry sucks butt.

I tried telling the software to use a bluetooth GPS under options and it kept telling me no bluetooth devices were found - even though it was up and running with BB maps in the background when I started the software. No such luck.

So I tried Manual GPS, and that told me the GPS was online but wasn't providing any data, so no luck there either.

Finally, because under Options - Advanced - GPS in my BlackBerry I have the GPS data source set for Keychain GPS 2000 for all GPS functions I chose Internal GPS. that went right to work and accessed the GPS and gave me a full data stream.

I then downloaded the Wherigo tutorial cartridge for Pocket PC because I had no idea which version to choose and thought that would be closest to my Java application. I connected the BB to my PC and let it go into media card mode - then I just copied the cartridge file over to the BlackBerry.

Note that the application would not let me access the data card until I disconnected the BB from the PC, so I did that.

I chose Start and browsed to the cartridge file and selected it, and then hit Start to begin the game - I had no problem completing it and getting the unlock code at the end. While I was browsing for the application and loading it the blackberry asked me a whole bunch of times if it was OK to let the application access the local data and I said yes every time. it did not do that during the game. The only thing I found unwieldy during the game was that after every single message I had to keep hitting OK to go on to the next step....

Otherwise, cool software - thanks for writing it. I look forward to trying to create one of my own now that I know it works.

I will be happy to provide the .a1x file of 0.3.91i to anyone else who wants to try it on their BB - or provide it to the author so he can make it downloadable from the project.

hi,

i'll try to make 0.3.93 (due in few days) work with blackberries again - but if you meet somebody from RIM's development team, tell them i hate their guts for it.

as for your other complaints:

- I can't properly "support" blackberry, because it's very different from normal java-phones, and i don't have any BB for testing. So sorry about that. I said many times that if somebody experienced in BB development wanted to work with me, i'd be more than happy to provide assistance.

- That's probably the reason why your bluetooth doesn't work. But, by any chance, did you have the gps keychain linked with BB when you tried to connect to it? If so, it would probably be regarded as busy and not shown in available devices. Glad that it worked as "internal" device then.

- The questions when browsing for files are expected (it's because the application isn't digitally signed). If the device asked you for file access during game, that would be a bug.

- i don't understand about "i had to keep hitting OK". Of course you must click OK after you read each message. Is it that you had to click OK more than once?

- i am not sure about those .a1x files. If you think that they could be useful, i'd be glad to post them on the project page.

I'll be happy to help you sort out some of the BlackBerry stuff. I can't do development because besides the Java programming knowledge it also requires some kind of developer approval thingy from RIM.

Yes the bluetooth keychain was turned on and also BB Maps was running and acquiring signal. I figured the app would need to see the GPS being online and active per previous comments. I didn't try running the app and turning on the GPS after and then doing the search - but internal works good in my case. I'll try to test the other case for thoroughness of testing.

I thought the issue with the digital signature was when I went to download the app and was told it was not from a known source and asked me if I wanted to trust it - i didn't correlate that to it asking me if it was OK to access my data files once it was already on the device. It only happens when loading the card so it's just a minor inconvenience vs not being able to play at all.

The "OK" after every message or action in the game play was tedious. Is that a function of the original player, or could it be changed to some sort of "hit any key to continue?" It's more of the fact that it doesn't tell you to hit OK to continue - you first have to push the track ball and then it first gives you the OK? prompt and then you have to hit the track ball again.

The .a1x and .cod file pair is equivalent to the .jad and .jar pair except the .jad/.jar is more easily installed OTA and the .a1x/.cod can be downloaded to your PC and installed using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. You can PM me where to send the files and if it's ok to zip them up or if you want them individually (total 112K). I can also wait till the new version comes out and make a set for that instead if it works.

If I can be of any other help feel free to ask.

hi,

i'll try to make 0.3.93 (due in few days) work with blackberries again - but if you meet somebody from RIM's development team, tell them i hate their guts for it.

as for your other complaints:

- I can't properly "support" blackberry, because it's very different from normal java-phones, and i don't have any BB for testing. So sorry about that. I said many times that if somebody experienced in BB development wanted to work with me, i'd be more than happy to provide assistance.

- That's probably the reason why your bluetooth doesn't work. But, by any chance, did you have the gps keychain linked with BB when you tried to connect to it? If so, it would probably be regarded as busy and not shown in available devices. Glad that it worked as "internal" device then.

- The questions when browsing for files are expected (it's because the application isn't digitally signed). If the device asked you for file access during game, that would be a bug.

- i don't understand about "i had to keep hitting OK". Of course you must click OK after you read each message. Is it that you had to click OK more than once?

- i am not sure about those .a1x files. If you think that they could be useful, i'd be glad to post them on the project page.

re development: i was able to download the SDK and some kind of development environment, i think after a free registration on the RIM website. But the dev environment is windows-only (i work on linux) and besides i disliked the app and didn't figure out how to work without it.

I figured the app would need to see the GPS being online and active per previous comments.
This is true (probably?) for internal gps. It works differently with bluetooth.

re digital signatures: There is a set of permissions for JavaME apps, like filesystem reading/writing. By default those are set to "always ask user", but a digitally signed app can set them to "never ask". Some devices (by default or with hacked firmware) allow you to override the trust level and set "never ask" manually. Check the application properties, maybe you will be able to turn off the prompts.

re a1x/cod: let's leave that until 0.3.93 is ready, then i'll contact you

and about the buttons ... that is weird.

on official players, you always have a visible button below the text, and you need to click it to advance (obviously)

on regular phones, the OK is mapped to the main softkey (usually center key - unlike on the screenshot) and it is always visible:

onebutton.png

so you can advance by one click of one key (which is the key with which you confirm everything else on your phone)

thing is, sometimes the cartridge author can relabel the button, and/or add a second one with a different choice. in such scenario, "press any key" wouldn't work too well.

on normal phones, the other choice is on the other softkey, like this:

actions.png

(in rare cases, and in the emulator, it can also look like this:

optionsx.png)

how does it look on a blackberry?

also, the Candybar screenshot is showing a "detail screen", where you can go "Back" to item list, or open a list of "Actions". does it work like this on the BB?

Did the mod delete my post or something?? I remember spending an hour posting my BlackBerry screen shots and comments here but they're gone today - no one ragged on me about anything I did wrong....

and about the buttons ... that is weird.

on official players, you always have a visible button below the text, and you need to click it to advance (obviously)

on regular phones, the OK is mapped to the main softkey (usually center key - unlike on the screenshot) and it is always visible:

onebutton.png

so you can advance by one click of one key (which is the key with which you confirm everything else on your phone)

thing is, sometimes the cartridge author can relabel the button, and/or add a second one with a different choice. in such scenario, "press any key" wouldn't work too well.

on normal phones, the other choice is on the other softkey, like this:

actions.png

(in rare cases, and in the emulator, it can also look like this:

optionsx.png)

how does it look on a blackberry?

also, the Candybar screenshot is showing a "detail screen", where you can go "Back" to item list, or open a list of "Actions". does it work like this on the BB?

I'll do it over tonight if I have time - the hardest part was learning how to take screenshots of the BB and downloading all the applications needed.

I assume this isn't your first rodeo, but did you check to make sure your thread subscription is still valid under My Controls?

i haven't seen anything <_<

(also, i don't seem to receive mail notifications from this thread anymore)

OK, trying this again - I forget what I all said when I first wrote this, but....

The first thing to note is that on a BB the screen is wider than it is high, which may be the reason for the annoying scrolling effects. If there is a way to make it auto-resize I'll have to figure it out.

So it starts like this:

Tut1.jpg

You will notice there are no softkeys or commands listed on the screen, and

Tut2.jpg

You have to scroll down to see the bottom.

At this point, a first-timer like me has no clue what to do so I click the trackball and get the menu:

Tut3.jpg

And then I have to click again to select OK - so that's 2 clicks to do anything.

That brings me to the next screen

Tut4.jpg

On which I have to scroll down again to read it all, and then

Tut5.jpg

Press the trackball to get the menu and again to select OK. This goes on and on and becomes tedious.

The same thing happens for the main menu. You have to press the trackball or menu key (I forget) to bring that up, then select your action type, such as Give, and then click on give, etc... lots of clicks.

Overall the concept is great, and on a real trek one would think you have to travel further and click less than in the tutorial, but it's the same general concept....

Hopefully it shows up this time!!

Ah, okay.

This is the same issue somebody was reporting earlier in this thread. And unfortunately, i can't do anything about it :/ I'm using "lcdui" to create the interface, and apparently support on blackberries is less than stellar. To fix this, you would need to write a different UI, based on some blackberry technology.

or i might switch to j2mepolish and be done with it.

(but j2mepolish looks very very scary :P )

I certainly understand the scary part! I am not resistant to change, but I usually prefer to take a known route rather than make up a new one unless I'm bored and have time to kill... It's like my own website - I got bored with it and loaded Joomla on my server. I started teaching myself how to create a web environment in there and then got bored with that too... It looks really cool but never got more than half done! :P)

Ah, okay.

This is the same issue somebody was reporting earlier in this thread. And unfortunately, i can't do anything about it :/ I'm using "lcdui" to create the interface, and apparently support on blackberries is less than stellar. To fix this, you would need to write a different UI, based on some blackberry technology.

or i might switch to j2mepolish and be done with it.

(but j2mepolish looks very very scary :) )

Grabbed the zip but am heading for bed. Will install tomorrow night hopefully and put some time on it. I'll report back the results. Thanks!

version 0.3.93 is out (usual place).

Saving is now much faster, there's a great deal of bugs fixed (still problems with internal GPS, though) and it should in theory work on a blackberry.

donb01, please test and if it works for you, send me a zip with those bb-related files

OK, this is seeming very strange and am wondering if something bogus is going on. Converted the jar file the same way I did with the last one. Deleted 0.3.91i and rebooted the phone. Used app loader to load the converted file from 0.3.93.

Yes it runs. But on the main screen right after you star the app it says it's v312, and if I go into the blackberry and look at the modules it says the module is still 0.3.91. I don't know if you didn't update the variables for the version number before you compiled or if the 0.3.91 module was never deleted off the blackberry when I deleted the app.

Regardless, it works the same way - internal GPS and no changes in text size or scrolling. That is why I'm not sure if I really got the new versions or not. I may try one more thing with the jar/jad files just to be sure I have the new version...

EDIT: Dumped the 2 files on my website and tried to load them OTA. When I choose the .jad file it still says 0.3.91, and when I say to download it comes up and says invalid .jar file. I was sure to purge out my browser cache before attempting to install it.

Grabbed the zip but am heading for bed. Will install tomorrow night hopefully and put some time on it. I'll report back the results. Thanks!

version 0.3.93 is out (usual place).

Saving is now much faster, there's a great deal of bugs fixed (still problems with internal GPS, though) and it should in theory work on a blackberry.

donb01, please test and if it works for you, send me a zip with those bb-related files

Edited by donb01

this is all right. i forgot to increase the version number ;e) the files that you can download now are fixed.

what you see in the menu is revision number, which is like my internal versioning. and it happens to start with 3, but that doesn't mean that it's related to version (0.3.92 had r212)

there aren't any changes visible at first glance, but this version has many bugfixes and all the features from .92 and it runs on blackberry.

as a distinction from .91, you should now be able to save cartridges in progress.

I'll test it more, but it definitely DOES run on the blackberry now and I did notice a new file pop up after I exited the application mid-game and then came back - I'm pulling from a weak mind here, but I think it was a .gvl or .gcl file or something like that... I'll mess with it more tonight.

Thanks!

this is all right. i forgot to increase the version number ;e) the files that you can download now are fixed.

what you see in the menu is revision number, which is like my internal versioning. and it happens to start with 3, but that doesn't mean that it's related to version (0.3.92 had r212)

there aren't any changes visible at first glance, but this version has many bugfixes and all the features from .92 and it runs on blackberry.

as a distinction from .91, you should now be able to save cartridges in progress.

Hello,

Is it somehow possible to get openwig working on a Windows-XP PC.

I hope it will run on my ASUS-901 Netbook.

Please let me know how to ( if possible)

Thanks in advance.

I would assume so - it's just a java app, and if you had the appropriate runtime. Unless he is using some kind of mobile libraries or something. I think the default java stuff that gets loaded on the PC is designed to run apps inside of a web browser and you might have to look for something that will run it standalone.

The trickiest part may be getting communications with your GPS puck up and running if you get the app to work. You also have to remember the screen image will be very small - so you might want to down-res your display to make it bigger.

To M: Sorry I was testing for you and sort of disappeared. The weather here has been less than ideal and I have been very busy at work. o promise I will get back to it and continue.... Last I used it the app was running with a lot less effort than it was on my first trial.

short answer that you won't like: no

long answer that you won't like: yes, you can do it. but i don't know how. good first step is to install netbeans with midlet emulator and check out the source code from SVN. then you have to figure out a way to connect to some gps. i know how to do that in linux, not in windows

middle answer that you WILL like: in about one month, there will be a native Desktop version of openwig available for download.

short answer that you won't like: no

long answer that you won't like: yes, you can do it. but i don't know how. good first step is to install netbeans with midlet emulator and check out the source code from SVN. then you have to figure out a way to connect to some gps. i know how to do that in linux, not in windows

middle answer that you WILL like: in about one month, there will be a native Desktop version of openwig available for download.

Thank you for answer my question.

I will wait for a month on the native one.

Greetings

no. learn metres :(

(said the european.)

not yet, anyway. this is very low priority for me, and there are much more pressing issues - making support for internal GPS better, for instance.

i will gladly accept a patch to add support for feet, if somebody writes it.

(there already is a basic mechanism - all distances are displayed through a function that converts metres to kilometres if there is too many of them. you would just need to add a config parameter for statute units (or whatever you call it) and check for it in this function)

feel free to create an issue for this on openwig.googlecode.com/issues and get many different people to say "i want this". that might change my opinion. or maybe one of those people will know java and will be able to write the patch.

I have a cousin that lives in Selm, Germany. Every time I asked him to convert to feet or inches or whatever, he would say the same thing!!

LEARN METERS Keri. LOL. A simple no is good enough for me. I still can not figure out how to use it, but that is me, not your app.

Thanks for the super quick answer though.

I tested openwig with a Benq Siemens EF81 with external Royaltek RBT 2001 GPS. Seems to work fine. But there was a problem with the save feature, on EF81 you could only write in the folder /brew/shared but my cartridges are stored on the memory card where j2me applications don't have any write access. Is there any way to change manualy the save path?

Best regards

t.

Sorry that I seem to have disappeared. I am working on a 'construction project' for a new space in my basement and also co-creating a new cache series with 25 - 30 caches that will be released at a social event in about 2 weeks. Life has been nuts!

I am also only a few weeks from upgrading to the new BB Curve 8530 (I believe), so I will then work on getting things going for that. As soon as my vendor has it available I will change. I am hoping the increased processor power and memory of that phone will make for a nicer experience, and maybe by now they have built in a better GPS.

I'm still working to find a GPS enabled JVM for my Mio running Windows CE Core 5 so I can try to get this working on there. It works great on my cell phone using Jbed.

Try Esmertec JBed

The trick is finding the right version of it. There are a lot of them out there and I haven't found one that works with MioPocket. The version you pointed to installs and seems like it would work, but it doesn't run when I try it. If I do the EXE check it says it requires OS version 5.1. This is version 5. It also doesn't match the CPU type.

having the same problem here. i tried a few different versions of jbed, all of them installed fine, but none of them worked (failed to start the exe). also tried the intent midlet manager which wouldn't even install. PDA with windows mobile 5.1 here.

does anyone have a list of possible jbed versions that may work, or know any other midlet managers? i tried finding a free download of j9, but no luck with that either.

The trick is finding the right version of it. There are a lot of them out there and I haven't found one that works with MioPocket. The version you pointed to installs and seems like it would work, but it doesn't run when I try it. If I do the EXE check it says it requires OS version 5.1. This is version 5. It also doesn't match the CPU type.

having the same problem here. i tried a few different versions of jbed, all of them installed fine, but none of them worked (failed to start the exe). also tried the intent midlet manager which wouldn't even install. PDA with windows mobile 5.1 here.

does anyone have a list of possible jbed versions that may work, or know any other midlet managers? i tried finding a free download of j9, but no luck with that either.

IBM removed the free download for people outside the United States. You may have to find a proxy server hosted in the USA to gain access to J9.

If you're running MIPS or SH3 processor (I thought CE 5 ended support for those processors in favour of ARM ... ?) then you definitely want to go with J9. The trouble with 95% of the JVMs for Windows Mobile, particularly the non-ARM builds is the lack of support for Bluetooth and GPS. With J9 it's a separate download.

There's information on getting GPS enabled JVM at the Gmaps Mobile Site but that's getting dated. Still, CE OS 5.0 is dated so you may get some luck there. They have a link to an older J9 that works with GPS as well, and since it's hosted at Modaco it likely isn't GeoIP filtered.

Latest update from my world. Just today I upgraded from the BB Curve 8330 to the Curve 8530 and I am VERY impressed with 95% of the results! First, I pointed the browser to the application and it loaded flawlessly OTA. Then, even though it found my bluetooth GPS and synced up with it right away I got better results just leaving it set to Internal. I loaded the tutorial cartridge on the external memory card and it loaded and ran without a problem.

My only complaint is that unsigned application box. On my other curve it only popped up when you were first loading the cartridge. Now it pops up for at least 75% of everything you do - including game play. Now I loaded the cartridge onto an external media card, and I don't know if there would be any difference if I loaded it into the internal memory on the device - maybe I'll have to give that a shot. It's now tot he point where it's incredibly annoying :wub:(

How much does it cost to get you what you need to sign the application? Maybe we can all take up donations on PayPal to get you the cash you need to fix that problem??

the certificate from Thawte, which seems to be the most widely recognized cert authority, is $300 a year

i might set up a Donate button for this purpose, but first i'll try to get somebody to sign openwig for me for free :wub:

anyway, the whole situation with certificates is complex and it only serves for marketing and/or vendor lock purposes. what you are seeing is a configuration so stupid that its only purpose can be to nag developers to buy a certificate. (the policy seems to be "ask about every file operation", as opposed to "ask once for each file")

......which might mean that even if i did get a thawte cert, it still wouldn't work on your device - because your carrier decided that they only want to recognize their own certs.

you can try checking application permissions for openwig, to see if you can switch them to something more reasonable.

or you might look into installing your own root certificates - if that was possible, i could sign the certificate myself and tell you to install the cert first and the application afterwards. but this is impossible on vast majority of phones.

also, make sure that you can install TrekBuddy from http://trekbuddy.net/ and that your BB recognizes its signature