Wherigo for J2ME

matejcik

Sorry, but I could use some help. I'd love to install & try on my Blackberry Curve 8310 but I'm having trouble. I've downloaded http://openwig.googlecode.com/files/openwig-0.3.07.zip, unzipped, and the application loader on my PC doesn't recognize anything to install.

Do I need to hit that link from the phone itself?

Looking forward to hearing back, and getting a chance to play!

somebody from the BlackBerry crowd please help him? (i have no clue about BB's)

Sorry, but I could use some help. I'd love to install & try on my Blackberry Curve 8310 but I'm having trouble. I've downloaded http://openwig.googlecode.com/files/openwig-0.3.07.zip, unzipped, and the application loader on my PC doesn't recognize anything to install.

When I installed it on my pearl, I visted http://openwig.googlecode.com/files/OpenWIG.jad from my phone (to make it easier, I just emailed myself the link).

Just to say I've had OpenWIG v0.3.07 working on my Nokia 6120c, using the "Internal" setting for GPS connection. The phone doesn't actually have built-in GPS, but the internal mode lets the Nokia handle the Bluetooth connection to my GPSr without me having to tweak any other settings. I did find a couple of minor bugs though, which I'll post in detail on the OpenWIG website.

Keep up the good work!

Just to say I've had OpenWIG v0.3.07 working on my Nokia 6120c, using the "Internal" setting for GPS connection. The phone doesn't actually have built-in GPS, but the internal mode lets the Nokia handle the Bluetooth connection to my GPSr without me having to tweak any other settings. I did find a couple of minor bugs though, which I'll post in detail on the OpenWIG website.

Keep up the good work!

thank you, and glad to hear that! i'm looking forward to seeing the bugreports.

Hi all,

I use OpenWIG on my Nokia 6500 Phone with the manually GPS Option.

I would like to know what is the syntax for the GPS coordonates to locate me and progress to another step ?

Best Regards

Nostra

i answered this off-thread, but for other people's benefit:

the format for Manual GPS is simple decimal in degrees.

for example, if your coordinates are 50° 13' 43.15", that is 50° (13 + 43.15 / 60)', and that is 50 + (13 + 43.15/60) / 60 = cca 50.22865° (you can safely round to five decimal places in most cases)

therefore, the number you input into Manual GPS is 50.22865

there's a feature request for more friendly input formats, but i still can't decide how to do it properly - biggest advantage of this format and biggest disadvantage of the others is that i can force numeric input and be done with it, but i can't force "numeric plus degrees sign" or anything like that, so the input would have to be in text mode and that would make it pain to use.

maybe i'll force it to "phone number" format and make # be degrees/minutes/seconds separator and * be decimal point or something like that

there's a feature request for more friendly input formats, but i still can't decide how to do it properly - biggest advantage of this format and biggest disadvantage of the others is that i can force numeric input and be done with it, but i can't force "numeric plus degrees sign" or anything like that, so the input would have to be in text mode and that would make it pain to use.

maybe i'll force it to "phone number" format and make # be degrees/minutes/seconds separator and * be decimal point or something like that

Text may be ugly to deal with, but using Regular Expressions (I assume Java supports these) it's not terrible bad... this code sample is in JavaScript as I still haven't gotten very far into my learn Java experiment:

function valitate_north() {
var north = document.getElementById('north').value;
if (north.match(/^\s*[ns]\s*\d{1,2}.?\s+\d{1,2}\.\d{1,3}'?\s*$/i)) {
	alert("DDD MM.MMM");
} else if (north.match(/^\s*-?\d{1,2}\.\d+\s*$/)) {
	alert("Decimal");
} else if (north.match(/^\s*[ns]\s*\d{1,2}.?\s+\d{1,2}'\s+\d{1,2}\.\d{0,5}"\s*$/i)) {
	alert("DDD MM SS.SSS");
} else {
	alert("Bad input for north");
}
}

Of course this code can use some cleanup and it doesn't do anything useful with the data other than check what format its in.

j2me doesn't have regexps - but that doesn't matter. You misunderstood my point, the problem is not in processing the text, but in the input.

As it is now, with decimal mode, the phone buttons do what they're designed to, type numbers. asterisk is minus, pound is decimal point, or maybe vice versa. If i allowed arbitrary text to be typed into the input box, phone buttons would type letters. Typing numbers would be clumsy (the user would either have to manually switch to numeric input, or hold each key for a longer time) and i don't think that many phones even allow typing the degree character.

that is the main reason why i'm hesitating whether to do this or not.

OK, that makes sense. Maybe keep the entry screen decimal only and have a conversion option that pops up a new screen having another entry method.... perhaps multiple boxes that need to be filled in...

[N/S] [__]° [__].[___]
[W/E] [___]° [__].[___]

I'd image if somebody needs to find coords in the field that'd they'd be listed in this format and not everybody's gonna either know how or want to mess with manually converting in the field. That would also solve the regex problem as the input boxes would enforce the entry format.

that would make sense, but majority of phones can only have one input box per line, so this screen would be loooong....

on the other hand ... reading input from numeric keys is simple enough, i could make a custom graphical screen for this. that should work nicely. i'll remember that

haha, well, not much to thank for if it doesn't work yet :D

what device is this? a cellphone, or some kind of PDA?

when you hit Start, you should see a file browser, then find your cartridge

You still deserve thanks for several things...it goes farther than the official player, you respond quickly, you are providing source code, and you are making the effort. Kudos all around even if you do nothing more!

I am using a Mio C230 running MioPocket (basically a hacked auto GPS).

My GPS never did show a fix, even after many attempts outdoors, even though I had a fix through BeeLineGPS.

In GPS mode, the only options I have are Connect and Disconnect (and Navigate at the bottom). There is no way to get out of GPS mode.

When I hit Start, I see a blank screen except for Actions and Navigate.

Which JVM are you using? I haven't gotten one working yet.

Hello,

I tried openwig today for the first time. Download and install were rather quick and I managed to get into the program. I didn't have any cartrige yet, so I closed the program again and downloaded one. After that I didn't managed to open the application anymore. It always says "Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException".

I'm using an Blackberry 8900 (v4.6.1.76). I fear that this smartphone does not work yet, but it would be great, if I could get it to work.

So my first question: is this a known issue? or is it something that only happens on my blackberry?

Can I get any additional info, which could help finding the problem?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Best Regards

Christine

well i certainly hope you can get additional info ;e)

no, this is not a known issue, and it also looks like something that's not caused by your blackberry (which is good news, because i can most likely fix it)

so it would be great if you could describe it in more detail.

1. as it is now, you start the app, but it dies immediately, without even showing the main menu?

2. what did you do when you first started it? did you set some options? try the filebrowser? something else?

3. try uninstalling the app and installing it again. does it run on the first try? and does it run on the second try?

there was this debug variant i had lying around for such cases ... i'll post it when i find it.

I think, I have the reason for the exception.

I sat some additional hours on this problem and did reinstall the application several times. I couldn't deinstall the application, so I always used the stored configuration again.

Here is what happened:

Blackberry allows to disable (/stop/shutdown or whatever) GPS completely.

The first time I opened the application, I selected the intern GPS. After that I closed the application as I had no cartrigde yet.

Whenever I do enable GPS before calling OpenWIG, there is no problem with the application. (And I'm soooo happy about that!!!! I must try out the cartrigde today after work... even if it's very late than).

But whenever I forgot to enable it (which was what happened), I'm getting the NullPointerException. I'm only a little bit confused that the program stored the configuration, while I hadn't activated the GPS yet.

Thank you very much for your help.

alright, i'll look into that.

the code for handling internal GPSs isn't really crash-proof now, i'm making lots of assumptions about how the GPS works, so if yours works differently, that can cause a wide range of problems ... at least i'm glad that it does work when the GPS is enabled

i've created an item in the issue tracker for this, feel free to follow it ;e) http://code.google.com/p/openwig/issues/detail?id=41

I'm still working to find a GPS enabled JVM for my Mio running Windows CE Core 5 so I can try to get this working on there. It works great on my cell phone using Jbed.

Try Esmertec JBed

The trick is finding the right version of it. There are a lot of them out there and I haven't found one that works with MioPocket. The version you pointed to installs and seems like it would work, but it doesn't run when I try it. If I do the EXE check it says it requires OS version 5.1. This is version 5. It also doesn't match the CPU type.

I'm still working to find a GPS enabled JVM for my Mio running Windows CE Core 5 so I can try to get this working on there. It works great on my cell phone using Jbed.

Try Esmertec JBed

The trick is finding the right version of it. There are a lot of them out there and I haven't found one that works with MioPocket. The version you pointed to installs and seems like it would work, but it doesn't run when I try it. If I do the EXE check it says it requires OS version 5.1. This is version 5. It also doesn't match the CPU type.

CPU Type should match -- all Windows Mobile devices should be running ARM (or ARM compatible processors like XSCale) as of PocketPC 2003 (Windows Mobile 3) and later. The OS revision is possibly an issue (may require WM 6). Of all the Esmertec builds only that one works with GPS right out of the box. I use a Windows Mobile 6.1 device and that CAB works fine on it. If your Mio is using MIPS or SH3 you're not likely to find a JVM that supports GPS at all, as both of those processors are no longer supported by Microsoft.

There's a lot of issues on Windows Mobile for GPS. When I was running WM5 I had to use a proxy program like GPS Gate to make the JVM play nice. If you have a bluetooth GPS, you may be able to get the JVM that allows Bluetooth to work (like Esmertec Feb or April 2008 build). Look at xda-developers.com for resources on locating the various JVMs.

Keep in mind that the Microsoft Integrated GPS driver (GPSID) didn't really standardize until WM6.1 so you may be out of luck if your Mio doesn't use the Microsoft stack.

I'm pretty sure its ARM. It could be just the version and that's causing the problems. I don't know if it uses the Microsoft stack or not. Its using the internal com port on most apps, instead of the intermediate driver I use on my phone with 6.1. This is essentially a PNA, not a PDA. Its intended for navigation, which happens to run on top of windows.

It may also be a problem with the whole MioPocket setup. Windows is intended to be in the background, so JBed may just have trouble installing correctly and getting all of its DLLs in the right place. It even asks where to install and then creates an empty directory since I believe it installs everything in the Windows directory.

Are there any other GPS enabled JVMs? Might be worth it to try more out. I might be able to figure out Jbed if I had enough time to make sure it registered everything correctly.

Are there any other GPS enabled JVMs? Might be worth it to try more out. I might be able to figure out Jbed if I had enough time to make sure it registered everything correctly.

Try IBM's J9 JVM.... that one is optimized for WM2003, but it runs on my WM6.1 device. User interface is archaic and if you're not inside the USA you'll have problems locating it. J9 Midlet Manager *used* to be free, not sure what happened to it since the GeoIP filter at IBM keeps me out of that site.

I used to have a copy of it and it DID support Serial port use (not 100% sure about GPS) so you should be able to point the WiG player at the COM port the GPS uses.

Good luck!

Try IBM's J9 JVM.... that one is optimized for WM2003, but it runs on my WM6.1 device. User interface is archaic and if you're not inside the USA you'll have problems locating it. J9 Midlet Manager *used* to be free, not sure what happened to it since the GeoIP filter at IBM keeps me out of that site.

I used to have a copy of it and it DID support Serial port use (not 100% sure about GPS) so you should be able to point the WiG player at the COM port the GPS uses.

Good luck!

I had tried out a version of J9 at one point, but I had trouble, may have to try it again. They certainly don't make it easy to get even if you live in the US.

I tried it today on my N82 using this cartridge. However at the 3rd stage I had to "drop" some items as part of the task. When I selected an item to drop, I got an error message and it didn't remove from the window of items, even though the items were dropping out of my inventory. Therefore it never knew when I'd dropped 6 items so didn't progress.

Thank you so much, matejcik! :(

I have looked around quite a time for a Wherigo player for either my P800 (Symbian UIQ) or a Nokia E66 (Symbian S60).

You made it possible to play Wherigo with my phone, even with some possible bugs, this is a great piece of software you did there! I am looking forward to new releases of OpenWIG.

To support the bugfixing, I think it would be better if you ask people on the google page to write bug reports in english (and also continue to provide english versions of the page as you already do) as there could be more discussion when more people understand the comments...

matejcik -

I read this thread, downloaded the .jad file ( http://openwig.googlecode.com/files/OpenWIG.jad ) that HayleeBugg listed above (thanks, HB!) directly to my new BB Curve 8330 (yes, that model number is right), downloaded a simple Wherigo for a local cache in Pocket PC format, set it to internal GPS, and son of a gun if it didn't work the very first time. Despite the hour, I'm tempted to go out to the park and try it NOW! :)

Thanks for doing this, and just a heads-up that it loaded and popped up right away the first time. Embedded pics show just fine and everything. I'll let you know if there were any problems in the park.

Thanks again -

J

Edited by imanxman
To support the bugfixing, I think it would be better if you ask people on the google page to write bug reports in english (and also continue to provide english versions of the page as you already do) as there could be more discussion when more people understand the comments...
on the other hand, some of the users don't speak english much so it would be harder for them to report bugs. that's why i let them report in czech.

and thank you all for support :e)

on the other hand, some of the users don't speak english much so it would be harder for them to report bugs. that's why i let them report in czech.

and thank you all for support :e)

Nice work here.. I just discovered Wherigo , then your app for my Blackberry 8110, and sure enough it all worked!

Very cool, thanks.. cant wait to try it out!

tESTED it tonight with my curve 8310 worked well. The gps refresh rate is slow and it lost connection to my gps a couple times but no complaints here. Got me to GZ and allows me to access the Wherigo's that are emulator protected, which was my prior method......Good work and Thanks

everyone who experienced trouble with recent OpenWIG versions, please try http://raketa.140.cz/openwig/openwig-0.3.91h.zip

that should fix many problems

(edit: changed to version 0.3.91h with a different obfuscator (one with good track record))

Thanks, It's now works on my Nokia 3109c. Still didn't test it in the field, but the openwig starts, as well as a sample cartridge, without the bug that I got in earlier version.

Thanks for your effort.

any chance getting this on the palm pre?

i'm afraid not - it seems that palm pre's webOS is based on JavaScript, and there is not even a Lua machine in JavaScript. that would be a very lengthy porting effort.

(note that while the names look similar, Java (for cellphones/blackberrys) and JavaScript are in fact very different languages)

When I installed it on my pearl, I visted http://openwig.googlecode.com/files/OpenWIG.jad from my phone (to make it easier, I just emailed myself the link).

What version of the software did you get. I get the same error listed for the current .jad link, "907 Invalid JAR HTTP Error 406: Not Acceptable" is this a problem with the new version? Thanks!

What version of the software did you get. I get the same error listed for the current .jad link, "907 Invalid JAR HTTP Error 406: Not Acceptable" is this a problem with the new version? Thanks!

No idea why that is, sorry :rolleyes: All devices i can use for testing eat the file without problems. Unfortunately, i don't have a blackberry at my disposal, so i can't properly debug the problem. Please try downloading the zip file and installing from a computer...

No idea why that is, sorry :rolleyes: All devices i can use for testing eat the file without problems. Unfortunately, i don't have a blackberry at my disposal, so i can't properly debug the problem. Please try downloading the zip file and installing from a computer...

I do not know what the problem is with the listed file, but I was able to download and run version 3.91i. Here is what I did (for all you BB users). Download the .zip file to the computer, unzip to a known location to get the .jad and .jar files. Connect the blackberry to the computer in mass storage mode. Open the SD card in the blackberry from the computer using file explorer. Copy the files from the computer to the SD card in the blackberry. Disconnect the blackberry. On the blackberry go to the media files and use the menu key to get the option explore. Go to the .jad file and select it and it will "download" and install. I got 3.91i and 3.09 to work in this manner. Good luck to everyone! I am excited. Matejcik, thanks for all your work, it is appreciated!

I do not know what the problem is with the listed file, but I was able to download and run version 3.91i. Here is what I did (for all you BB users). Download the .zip file to the computer, unzip to a known location to get the .jad and .jar files. Connect the blackberry to the computer in mass storage mode. Open the SD card in the blackberry from the computer using file explorer. Copy the files from the computer to the SD card in the blackberry. Disconnect the blackberry. On the blackberry go to the media files and use the menu key to get the option explore. Go to the .jad file and select it and it will "download" and install. I got 3.91i and 3.09 to work in this manner. Good luck to everyone! I am excited. Matejcik, thanks for all your work, it is appreciated!

I followed the instructions that Ziemer posted and it worked just fine for me. I'm using a Blackberry 8310. I put one cartridge on my phone and it plays it with out a problem. Now I just have to get to a location that has a Wherigo geocache to totally check this out.

I did this long again and it worked... I tried to update it recently and I got the invalid JAR message. My best guess is that it has something to do with the content-type as I was able to install it using a method similar to the one outlined by ziemer... that tells me that the JAR file is fine, it's just not getting transmitted OTA correctly. I haven't looked into it any deeper than that.

well if you do look deeper, let me know. i'd love to fix it, but from where i'm looking, there is nothing wrong with the jad or jar

or i might try putting the OTA stuff back on googlecode and see if it fixes the problem

It does seem to be the content type that's the problem... I put the files on my server (modifying the .jad file so it also pointed to my server) and fiddled with the content types. With the right one, it seemed to work... with the wrong one, it didn't.

jad - text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor

jar - application/java-archive

I'm happy to say after installing it and then the Wherigo tutorial on my Blackberry 8310 I was able to run the cartridge to the end. I got the completion code! Great job on this project! Now the real test is to find an actual Wherigo geocache and see how it works. I've wanted to try this out for some time now but I have a Palm and not the pocket pc. Thank you very much..... :mad: