Caching outside the container?

Talk about full circle...

We lost a cat recently to liver cancer. There is a county park near our home, so we buried him there. To memorialize him we placed an ammo can cache about 500 feet away. So, we lost a cat and left a cache.

Today while out in another set of woods we found a cache and on our way out heard a cat crying in the woods. The noise stopped and we continued to our car. Just as we were getting in, a tiny black cat came bounding out of the woods towards us. She came up to us purring and wanting some attention. Of course we had no option but to take her to our vet and keep her. She is about 8 weeks old and 2 pounds. Not only was it our most expensive caching experience, but we had to name her "Cache". So, we found a cache and took home a cat.

We would have not have found her if it wasn't for geocaching. Any other outside the container stories?

How great is that? Now what to leave as an equal trade? :(

Us pet lovers would love a picture, how about it?

As soon as she is cleaned up, flea treatment left her looking rough. Black and brown, sweet as can be, geo-kids love her. I love this game! :P

You probably should go back to make sure that there arent other kittens left behind. :)

I hope not anyway and congrats on your new family addition.

I am sure it will bring alot of joy.

How great is that? Now what to leave as an equal trade? :P

Us pet lovers would love a picture, how about it?

As soon as she is cleaned up, flea treatment left her looking rough. Black and brown, sweet as can be, geo-kids love her. I love this game! :D

You probably should go back to make sure that there arent other kittens left behind. :)

I hope not anyway and congrats on your new family addition.

I am sure it will bring alot of joy.

I will, Mom said so :( . Mama cat was on the road, obviously hit by car. Only one cat came out to greet my wife. We can't take any more animals in our zoo, but it's been nagging us. We love animals and it's been in our thoughts. If we can rescue any, even to the humane society, we will. :)

Great story.

Many years ago, long before we found caching, a kitten found us while we were out and about. The little girl couldn't have been more than five or six weeks old and there was no sign of other cats in the area. We figured that she had been dumped and took her home.

Sadly, we had to put Shadow down yesterday, 21 years and four months later.

442506932_f07e697265.jpg

Edited by sbell111

Awww that's a great story. Nothing helps to heal the pain of the loss of a beloved pet than having a new baby. I'm so sorry for your loss but happy that you've found a new kitty to love. I've got two 10 week old kittens myself right now and my heart is bursting with love. Love the name too. :)

Well, we didn't exactly get our latest cat at a cache, but we did get him while caching.

MsKitty had been mourning her Blue Point Siamese cat that we had to put down after almost 18 years. We even released a TB bin his honour (Here)

We were on our way home from a day of caching and decided to stop in to a pet store in a nearby town. They had this lonely little kitten in a cage in the center of the store and when we inquired about him, the clerks tried to talk us into some others that they said were prettier! Well, this little guy knew how to "con" us, because he started reaching out through the cage bars, and was begging us to pick him up. We really had no intention of buying a cat when we went in and had less than $20.00 on us! They said that because he was just an "ordinary" cat, they would sell him for $20.00 plus tax. We had 19.75 and they sold him for that tax included! :D

It turned out we actually rescued him, because he had a respiratory infection that he would have died from in another week or two.

Let me tell you, he is far from just an "ordinary cat" and has ended up being the best cat we have ever had, and we have had as many as 6 cats at a time!

We called him Geo. Here he is at about 4 months just "chillin'"

geo2.jpg

This won't top the story of how you aquired your new family addition, but I think it fits in with the topic.

My friend Ninja Bruno placed a couple of caches several weeks ago which got muggled soon after publication. Undaunted, he decided not only to replace them but to put even more out in this local park. Speedy Tortuga and I were accompanying him while he went to place these new caches when I found a laminated sheet of paper buried in some mud. I picked it up, with the intention of throwing it out when we got back to the trucks, but noticed that it had several questions on it that if solved would give you coordinates to a "final". Are you kidding me?

We brought it home, but could not find an active cache that it belonged to. It was signed on the bottom, but initially, we couldn't locate that name as being used on Groundspeak. The next day, Ninja Bruno's caches got published and found, and miraculously one of the finders noted that they had not been to this park for a few years, since doing a multi that was located there, but was no longer active. A little more digging and we found:

Stringy Thingy cache

We decided to ressurect the cache by copying the original puzzle page, though we would have to also include some offsets because two of the newly placed caches are so close to the original coordinates. I contacted all 25 finders of the original cache and within minutes, I got a response back from one, saying that by coincidence, they are having dinner tonight with two of the other cachers from that time and they believe they remember some of the specifics of the cache. Unfortunately, the original owner doesn't seem to have been active for the past couple of years, though I have tried emailing him as well. I'm looking forward to hearing back from them and from the others I contacted.

Well, we didn't exactly get our latest cat at a cache, but we did get him while caching.

MsKitty had been mourning her Blue Point Siamese cat that we had to put down after almost 18 years. We even released a TB bin his honour (Here)

We were on our way home from a day of caching and decided to stop in to a pet store in a nearby town. They had this lonely little kitten in a cage in the center of the store and when we inquired about him, the clerks tried to talk us into some others that they said were prettier! Well, this little guy knew how to "con" us, because he started reaching out through the cage bars, and was begging us to pick him up. We really had no intention of buying a cat when we went in and had less than $20.00 on us! They said that because he was just an "ordinary" cat, they would sell him for $20.00 plus tax. We had 19.75 and they sold him for that tax included! :D

It turned out we actually rescued him, because he had a respiratory infection that he would have died from in another week or two.

Let me tell you, he is far from just an "ordinary cat" and has ended up being the best cat we have ever had, and we have had as many as 6 cats at a time!

We called him Geo. Here he is at about 4 months just "chillin'"

geo2.jpg

Awesome, looks like one of our cats who passed in May, we still miss him badly. B)

Great story.

Many years ago, long before we found caching, a kitten found us while we were out and about. The little girl couldn't have been more than five or six weeks old and there was no sign of other cats in the area. We figured that she had been dumped and took her home.

Sadly, we had to put Shadow down yesterday, 21 years and four months later.

442506932_f07e697265.jpg

My condolences!!! Happily, though, you got a LOT of years out of her!!!

Cache Safe,

Grigorii Rasputin

WWW.Glass-cockpit.org

Sorry for your loss brianandbraun and sbell. I also put two cats in the ground this week - check my profile for pics. :)

Oh, my goodness! I can't imagine losing two so close together. :grin: I'm so sorry. Hopefully, when the time is right you will find new family members - not to replace those who are gone, but to share in that joy of getting to know someone new and sharing in new adventures.