Event cache listing restrictions

Zor

Recently I decided to try and put on an "Amazing Race" style geocaching race here in Moncton, NB Canada. It's an all-day event and teams of cachers would hit up various places in the city via coordinates to find clues and caches and at the end, someone would be crowned the winner.

When I submitted the listing, it was denied saying that event caches cannot be "organized hunts". I read the details and the reviewer was in fact correct.

What is the reasoning behind not allowing organized hunts (such as my race) to be published as an event cache? It is a gathering of geocachers is it not?

The official publishing guidelines don't say why. They just say that organized hunts should be done through regional group message boards, etc.

Anyone know why? I would have loved to have my actual race listed on GC.com but am unclear as to why it is not permitted.

I've only heard that guideline in reference to organized cache hunts (where TPTB don't want you putting together an event JUST to go get caches).

However, in your case, unless they were only visiting caches, I don't see how it's an organized hunt and sounds like a great event.

As far as it can't be competitive, then no more poker runs are allowed? The competition is OPEN to everyone...they can then choose to participate or not.

Perhaps if you had a registration/gathering at the beginning or end of your competition that would be acceptable.

Edited by KoosKoos

Assort caching races are fairly common at events. The key is that the event can be held such that those who don't want to drive/bike/hike all day chasing cache finds can still attend the get together and chat. Either there's a before-the-cache-run breakfast, or an after-the-cache-run dinner - some gathering that's more purely social, not just a group hunt of caches.

As to why? I dunno. Possibly so that every time 3 cachers decided to get together and drive around to find some stuff they don't write it up as an event cache.

Assort caching races are fairly common at events. The key is that the event can be held such that those who don't want to drive/bike/hike all day chasing cache finds can still attend the get together and chat. Either there's a before-the-cache-run breakfast, or an after-the-cache-run dinner - some gathering that's more purely social, not just a group hunt of caches.

As to why? I dunno. Possibly so that every time 3 cachers decided to get together and drive around to find some stuff they don't write it up as an event cache.

See that's ultimately how I got around the restriction. I put up my own website for the race portion of the event (www.monctonsraceforcache.com) and then had a post-race party which is where we would award the prizes and such. That way, if folks didn't want to participate in the race, they could still come.

I just wish I could have had the actual race itself listed as an event.

Recently I decided to try and put on an "Amazing Race" style geocaching race here in Moncton, NB Canada. It's an all-day event and teams of cachers would hit up various places in the city via coordinates to find clues and caches and at the end, someone would be crowned the winner.

When I submitted the listing, it was denied saying that event caches cannot be "organized hunts". I read the details and the reviewer was in fact correct.

What is the reasoning behind not allowing organized hunts (such as my race) to be published as an event cache? It is a gathering of geocachers is it not?

The official publishing guidelines don't say why. They just say that organized hunts should be done through regional group message boards, etc.

Anyone know why? I would have loved to have my actual race listed on GC.com but am unclear as to why it is not permitted.

Think outside the box on this one... we have a local cacher that has thrown a LARGE event each of the past two years that involved a competition.

The first one was a "county-wide" scavenger hunt. So we had a list of items to find that took u all over the county (we drove over 250 miles!) and it just so happened that there were about 30 new geocaches launched the same day! So we didn't just scavenger hunt, we stopped along the way for tons of geocaches!

This year, it was a "road rally" where we had to search for and identify places and things along a pre-determined route. And yes, there happened to be 30 or so brand new geocaches placed as well.

These events were fantasticly fun, and we got to do some caching, but it wasn't a requirement. In fact, each event had a points system and at the end of the day we all got together for dinner, prizes and geo-games!

You can figure out a way to throw a great event and get some caching in as well!

Driver Carries Cache

There is some leaway in the acceptance of events like the one you tried to publish.

There have been many events in Massachusetts and Connecticut that 'by strict interpretation of the rules' wouldn't be allowed. The Great Northern Tier, WGAW Footprint and GeoJamboree to name a few.

I think they are discouraging small events to get some prople to tackle one or two caches.

But you can always get around those rules, by having a geocaching event, meet, beforehand where the topic of geocaching is discussed... Then afterwards have everyone who wants go on your race. Or you could go over your local reviewers head and go tdirectly to contact@geocaching.com but that could make enemies.

There is some leaway in the acceptance of events like the one you tried to publish.

There have been many events in Massachusetts and Connecticut that 'by strict interpretation of the rules' wouldn't be allowed. The Great Northern Tier, WGAW Footprint and GeoJamboree to name a few.

I think they are discouraging small events to get some prople to tackle one or two caches.

But you can always get around those rules, by having a geocaching event, meet, beforehand where the topic of geocaching is discussed... Then afterwards have everyone who wants go on your race. Or you could go over your local reviewers head and go tdirectly to contact@geocaching.com but that could make enemies.

I can't vouch for the first 2 events you mention, but I've been to many of the yearly GeoJamborees. Can you explain what the heck you are talking about "'by strict interpretation of the rules' wouldn't be allowed."?

GeoJamboree is about as typical an event as you can find. It's a picnic in a park. For 300 plus people, but still just a picnic. Everyone brings food to share. No wagon trains. No organized cache runs. Not even very many new caches and even fewer temp "event only" caches (There are usually a few hidden for young kids to allow them to find a cache on their own). A few fun games here and there (example: best campsite sign for those that camp out for the weekend) that have nothing to do with the event. I don't see how GeoJamboree skirts the rules? The only thing I see skirting the rules is you (and a handful of other people )seem to have logged the 2007 GeoJamboree cache attended twice by mistake. It appears you found a NAVICACHE and accidentally logged it on the event page instead of the cache page over at navicache.

I think they are discouraging small events to get some people to tackle one or two caches.

I hold POG events (not all on my account) just to team up and help others tackle difficult caches (sometimes just one cache). The event itself is to get cachers together before, during, or after. It is not hard to be clear that the event itself is not part of the cache hunt. It's a standard event that all are welcome. The hunt details are managed through our local forum.

The only problem I've run into these days is more people showing up than reported that they would.

I'm pretty sure that is one of the reasons. At least it was when one of my events was denied.

It made sense to me. (my response) "Oh, so you don't want to open an event every time a couple cachers want to hit the trail" :)

The only thing I see skirting the rules is you (and a handful of other people )seem to have logged the 2007 GeoJamboree cache attended twice by mistake. It appears you found a NAVICACHE and accidentally logged it on the event page instead of the cache page over at navicache.

I'll not explain my interpretation of the regs.

But the event organizers of that event STATED that in order to log the 2 event caches, you MUST log a second, or third Attend log of the Event and put a code word within the log. Didn't you do the morse code Radio cache? I was FTF by actually decoding the morse code audio broadcast, others found it first by finding the half dozen micros planted around the area.

They were the ones skirting the rules by flaunting the cache permanence rules.

Edited by trainlove

The only thing I see skirting the rules is you (and a handful of other people )seem to have logged the 2007 GeoJamboree cache attended twice by mistake. It appears you found a NAVICACHE and accidentally logged it on the event page instead of the cache page over at navicache.

I'll not explain my interpretation of the regs.

But the event organizers of that event STATED that in order to log the 2 event caches, you MUST log a second, or third Attend log of the Event and put a code word within the log. Didn't you do the morse code Radio cache? I was FTF by actually decoding the morse code audio broadcast, others found it first by finding the half dozen micros planted around the area.

They were the ones skirting the rules by flaunting the cache permanence rules.

I'm glad this thread has deteriorated into a discussion of the logging of temporary event caches. The fact that there are temporary event caches and people wish to log them only shows that it is common for hunting of caches to be a part of many geocaching events. Around here it is common for event organizers to hide caches for and event but submit them as regular cache to be published the day of the event or sometime after the event.

We just had a event that was a puzzle rally where a number of puzzle caches were hidden. Teams competed to find the most caches with penalties for using hints. There was a fee for each team participating. The day ended with dinner at restaurant where the prizes were awarded. You did not have to participate in the rally to log the event. You could meet at the start and log it or attend the dinner part. The puzzle caches were submitted to geocaching.com to be published after the event. The people who participated no doubt get to log their finds on geocaching.com. The whole event seems to be a promotion for a new website that is, for now, a non-commercial geocaching information site, though it looks like they may be planning to sell geocaching gear at some point in the future. The reviewer made a decision that this event was within the guidelines. Without knowing more about the OPs event, it is difficult to know why that reviewer was more picky about the rally part not being promoted on the page. These kinds of events are getting more popular and TPTB may need to issue clarification to the reviewers and the community for guidance on what can be done and how these differ from just getting a group together to hunt caches.

...When I submitted the listing, it was denied saying that event caches cannot be "organized hunts". I read the details and the reviewer was in fact correct.

While this is literally true I think there is a limit. You list an event to go hunt existing caches.

However where the event itself is the hunt that's another thing. Poker Runs being a good example. Locally we had an "Easter" hunt. The goal was to go find special event only caches that gave clues to the easter backet. The even ended with a dinner for everone to meet up.

If the even itself is "the Amazing Race" and the cache hunt involved is entirly contained within the event it should be approvable. Even if it's not, ending the day with a meet and greet (which people do enjoy to discuss a great day caching) should have it pass any "it can't be about just the hunt" rule.

Think outside the box on this one... we have a local cacher that has thrown a LARGE event each of the past two years that involved a competition.

The first one was a "county-wide" scavenger hunt. So we had a list of items to find that took u all over the county (we drove over 250 miles!) and it just so happened that there were about 30 new geocaches launched the same day! So we didn't just scavenger hunt, we stopped along the way for tons of geocaches!

This year, it was a "road rally" where we had to search for and identify places and things along a pre-determined route. And yes, there happened to be 30 or so brand new geocaches placed as well.

These events were fantasticly fun, and we got to do some caching, but it wasn't a requirement. In fact, each event had a points system and at the end of the day we all got together for dinner, prizes and geo-games!

You can figure out a way to throw a great event and get some caching in as well!

Driver Carries Cache

The first event above was the first event I've ever attended! What a blast! I couldn't believe that there were so many other crazies like me out there.

The second event was also a blast. Met up with some friends for a fun cruise around the county and the pasta was pretty good too!

I've seen (but never attended) a few of these. In Canada, Ironically enough, must be a Canadian thing. :anibad: Yes, I agree with the purely social evening gathering. I suspect if you add that, you could get this thing published no problemo. Just my simplistic opinion though.

Driver Carries Cache

The first event above was the first event I've ever attended! What a blast! I couldn't believe that there were so many other crazies like me out there.

The second event was also a blast. Met up with some friends for a fun cruise around the county and the pasta was pretty good too!

I can't wait to see what he comes up with for this year!

Edited by Driver Carries Cache

Without knowing more about the OPs event, it is difficult to know why that reviewer was more picky about the rally part not being promoted on the page. These kinds of events are getting more popular and TPTB may need to issue clarification to the reviewers and the community for guidance on what can be done and how these differ from just getting a group together to hunt caches.

The event in question isn't a rally/poker run or anything like that. It's simply an outdoor event (in the traditional style) that's held at a state park where people gather together and hang out, have a pot luck and things like that.

Every year, new caches get placed for people to find if they want. Some of them aren't listed on GC.com, so to log them, people do a double log of the event. I think that's what they're talking about.