Mio a701?

Mio a701?

I am wanting to go paperless and think the Mio a701 is the right one for me although I am happy to be persuaded otherwise.

Features I want from my unit

GPS, Phone, Sat Nav (pos TomTom), & PDA to down load to. All at a cost of about £100.

I think the Mio a701 will do all this for me including the price according to recent sales on Ebay.

Before I take the plunge I would like to hear from current users on what they think of the Mio a701 and how well it works for the. I am also keen to find out if I have to pay any extra to use the GPS or Sat Nav systems once I have got it on my unit. If you are a user of a different unit you think far exceeds the Mio a701 but keeps within the price of £100 please let me know. I cant afford to get this wrong as I cant really justify spending this kind of money when I already have a stand alone Etrex which works fine.

Any advice and guidance will be grateful received. :D

Kind Regards Team Ipplepen

I cant help noticing that so far this post has been read 77 times but no replies. This is most likely because those who have read my post so far do not use Mitic Mio A701. I would very much appriciate it if everyone who reads my post could reply even if you just post the make and model of unit you use whether its stand alone GPS or Smart phone. This will help me biuld up a picture of what are the units of choice.

Many Thanks for everyones help in advance. Cheers Team-Ipplepen (Ken) :D

Edited by Team-Ipplepen

Mio a701?

I am wanting to go paperless and think the Mio a701 is the right one for me although I am happy to be persuaded otherwise.

GPS, Phone, Sat Nav (pos TomTom), & PDA to down load to. All at a cost of about £100.

I think the Mio a701 will do all this for me including the price according to recent sales on Ebay.

Before I take the plunge I would like to hear from current users on what they think of the Mio a701 and how well it works for the. I am also keen to find out if I have to pay any extra to use the GPS or Sat Nav systems once I have got it on my unit. If you are a user of a different unit you think far exceeds the Mio a701 but keeps within the price of £100 please let me know. I cant afford to get this wrong as I cant really justify spending this kind of money when I already have a stand alone Etrex which works fine.

Any advice and guidance will be grateful received. :)

I cant help noticing that so far this post has been read 77 times but no replies. This is most likely because those who have read my post so far do not use Mitic Mio A701. I would very much appriciate it if everyone who reads my post could reply even if you just post the make and model of unit you use whether its stand alone GPS or Smart phone. This will help me biuld up a picture of what are the units of choice.

Many Thanks for everyones help in advance. Cheers Team-Ipplepen (Ken) :(

It's a great piece of kit. Probably the best value for money out there IMO and thats allowing for the fact that I paid quite a bit more than £100.

I've use Tomtom 7, MM Navigator and BeelineGPS for navigation, all of these can be used at the same time if you install a small application called GPSutil in the startup directory. All these applications cost extra but for caching BeelineGPS alone allows you to navigate to caches and read the cache info whilst out caching for a price of $30.

The only negatives for me are battery life if you have GPS and phone both switched on in poor reception areas. I now switch the phone off whilst caching. Satellite acquisition times are far better if you download the quickfix files regularly.

I managed to crack the screen and found the repair time unacceptably long, but this was due to Mio switching the company that was doing the repairs for them. Once the new company took control the job was completed quickly by friendly, efficient and courteous staff.

Mio a701?

It's a great piece of kit. Probably the best value for money out there IMO and thats allowing for the fact that I paid quite a bit more than £100.

I've use Tomtom 7, MM Navigator and BeelineGPS for navigation, all of these can be used at the same time if you install a small application called GPSutil in the startup directory. All these applications cost extra but for caching BeelineGPS alone allows you to navigate to caches and read the cache info whilst out caching for a price of $30.

The only negatives for me are battery life if you have GPS and phone both switched on in poor reception areas. I now switch the phone off whilst caching. Satellite acquisition times are far better if you download the quickfix files regularly.

I managed to crack the screen and found the repair time unacceptably long, but this was due to Mio switching the company that was doing the repairs for them. Once the new company took control the job was completed quickly by friendly, efficient and courteous staff.

Thanks Tim This is exectly the kind of information I am after. I appreciate that feedback

Cheers Ken

Mio a701?

No worries. If you have any extra questions feel free to ask.

Thanks Tim This is exectly the kind of information I am after. I appreciate that feedback

Cheers Ken

I would very much appriciate it if everyone who reads my post could reply even if you just post the make and model of unit you use whether its stand alone GPS or Smart phone.

I use an Asus P750. Having looked at the the one you're thinking of getting I think I would rather have mine, but there's not much in it, and you won't get the Asus for anything like £100. I think you should go with the Mio.

Some more background info.

The Asus appears to be very good on battery life. On a recent long walk I used it for 7 hours running MemoryMap and a cache database program, plus the phone of course. At the end it was still showing 34% battery life remaining.

The Asus has a SiRF III chipset, as has the Mio. This is good. However, when I got it, the "static navigation" feature was enabed. I was able to turn this off using a utilty from SiRF, and now it work pretty well.

The Asus is a bit short on memory (only 64Mb RAM), but so is the Mio. This was crippling when I first got the unit, but I was able to stop some of the Asus "addon" programs from running; they were completely unnecessary and used huge amounts of RAM. It's just about OK now.

I also have 3 other phone/GPSr units, an XDA Orbit, and XDA Stellar and an XDA Orbit 2.

The original Orbit is excellent, except that it too uses the SiRF III chipset and has the "static navigation" filter enabled, but on that unit it is not possible to switch it off, making it of very limited use for caching. Note that the other problem with the original Orbit, that it an take uSD cards only up to 2Gb, is solvable with a separate driver.

Both the Stellar and the Orbit 2 use the QualComm chipset. It would not be right of me to state my opinion of this chipset on a family forum. In other respects these are nice phone/PDAs.

Rgds, Andy

Mio a701?

No worries. If you have any extra questions feel free to ask.

Cheers Ken

...........and??

I am sensing a hint of sarcasm here; please excuse me if I do not respond in a similar manner.

My apologies if I have offended anybody in posting my question here. Yes it is true I am new to the forum but not completely incompetent at least I don’t think so.

Prior to posting my question to the forum I searched the forum for key words associated with my request. Having checked through the search results and not found anything of real value to me I posted my more specific question. I did not search the US site as I want to ensure the information I receive is relevant to the UK, UK phones, Software etc. Thank you to the positive responses I have so far received, I appreciate your assistance and I look forward to receiving more in due course. If a moderator believes this post is inappropriately placed, my apologies and please move it to where ever you feel appropriate.

Kind regards

Ken :anibad:

I am sensing a hint of sarcasm here; please excuse me if I do not respond in a similar manner.

My apologies if I have offended anybody in posting my question here. Yes it is true I am new to the forum but not completely incompetent at least I don’t think so.

Prior to posting my question to the forum I searched the forum for key words associated with my request. Having checked through the search results and not found anything of real value to me I posted my more specific question. I did not search the US site as I want to ensure the information I receive is relevant to the UK, UK phones, Software etc. Thank you to the positive responses I have so far received, I appreciate your assistance and I look forward to receiving more in due course. If a moderator believes this post is inappropriately placed, my apologies and please move it to where ever you feel appropriate.

Kind regards

Ken :anibad:

Ken,

There is no sarcasm aimed at yourself and your post above just adds weight to my argument, over many years, of highlighting such topics on the UK forum.

Thanks for your input.

Neil

I have had a Mio A701 for 2 maybe 3 years and its a great piece of kit. I rarely use the phone (buts its handy to have a SIM in for an emergency backup) and mainly use it for caching, its been out in all weathers with me - sensible precautions mean it has survived fine. I have even dropped it onto stone a few times with just a few scuffs to show for it. The battery issues is solved by obtaining a high capacity battery (£20 off ebay); I get 4 to 5 hours with 30% life to go. Charge both before you go, carry one in your bag/pocket and you have plenty of hours of use.

I use TomTom to get to the parking spavce, switch to memory map and off we go caching.

Fix times are fine, I dont bother downloading the quickfix files.

I must admit i have been wondering whether its time to get a new device but I dont know what I could get to better it, the only thing it needs is WiFi.