event? can this work?

MREAGLEWO1

Hello,

This event is in general questions nothing planned as of yet. Looking for feedback first.

would this work as an event? bowling "get together" at a local bowling alley. during the week the place has specials at 9pm-12 midnight. if i set this up but it would work as first come first serve to bowl. people would bowl 5 to a lane. and pay the bowling alley directly. ($14 with shoes and unlimited games until close) $11 with your own shoes and unlimited games until close) I was wondering if this can be used as an event . I was thinking about creating a first event by me.

Thanks for your input first.

mreaglewo1

I think you also have to state that not everyone attending your event have to bowl. I've been to 2 events like that.

But if it's like it sounds from your description, then geocacing.com will not allow it due to this wording in their rules:

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

For geocaching events that involve several components, such as a full weekend event that includes a geocoin trading session, a seminar and a potluck dinner, multiple event listings may be submitted if they each stand on their own merits as events meeting the listing guidelines.

Afterall a geocaching event is supposed to be about geocaching, not bowling.

Speaking from experience hosting such an event (have held 4 so far), they are a great idea for groups because they are an instant ice breaker (teams cheering each other on, working to beat other teams, etc) and usually even better for new folks to the group because they get people working together right away. The time might be an issue since it's late, but that call is all yours. You can always see if the alley has any other group rates on other days. If you want something to go by as far as how to write things out, and even how crazy the bowling idea can get, check out GC1FY4M which was our bowling event last weekend. Any other questions about things for it, feel free to shoot me an email.

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

You can get around this by making the event separate from the bowling. Say that the event is a meet-and-greet (or chat-and-chew) and will last from 10:00-10:30 PM in the refreshments/eating area of the bowling alley. These locations are usually free to enter, and people can choose to get something to eat/drink or not. Also mention that you and others will arrive at 9:00 PM to do some bowling before the event starts and more bowling will occur after it's over.

I went to a baseball game event once. The "event" occured during the 30-minutes before the game, we all signed the log book, then most of us went in to watch the game.

so would this be possible... there will be cachers bowling during 9-12midnight. you can join if you would like. (fee) if not, you can come to the bowl n greet. Come and let your anger out of all those dnf's and hard caches at the pins...

how can this be done without asking the management of the alley, since they would want to charge a bday type rate probably.

Call ahead and reserve lanes for the night, even if it more than you need. You can always call and remove a lane if you have too many. Most alleys do not mind having people just hang out and talk, whether they see them bowl or not, so no worries about anyone who would be there just to mingle. Invite cachers to bring TBs and Coins to share with the community and possibly hand off. You can always have prizes for top bowler/team if you get enough people ahead of time to plan teams.