Lack of caches around here?

marikun

I want to know why Northern NJ, of all places, has areas simply devoid of caches. For example, I live in the Paterson, NJ area (pop. 100,000+) and there are almost no caches around to find. Paterson has only one cache, nearby Clifton has only a handful and Passaic has a resounding none. I don't get it. :D

It seems like all the caches are out on Rifle Camp and Garrett Mountain Parks.

I want to know why Northern NJ, of all places, has areas simply devoid of caches. For example, I live in the Paterson, NJ area (pop. 100,000+) and there are almost no caches around to find. Paterson has only one cache, nearby Clifton has only a handful and Passaic has a resounding none. I don't get it. :D

A simple solution is hide a cache yourself in those areas and more will come! :D

MaitreMind

Urban areas make it difficult to hide caches that will stay hidden from muggles for long. North Jersey is actually quite cache-rich in many areas; check out the swath from Ringwood State Park down to Ramapo Mountain and the Wanaque Ridge for an example. I would consider your area to be decent territory because of Garrett and Rifle Camp, as well as High Mountain not far away. Like MaitreMind said, though, if you aren't satisfied, hide more; it'll attract cachers to the area, and might just lead to other people hiding some for you to find as well.

Urban areas also lots of time are not conducive to GPS reception due to bounce of tall buildings. For instance, while there are many caches in NYC, I have never found one with a GPS cause reception is so bad. Instead those I usually do with google map printouts (technically not really geocaching). Also, New Jersey has lots of wonderful parks and suppose geocachers in Northern Jersey prefer to be in the park rather than dodging cars in traffic. Dont have to worry about muggles as much and cache go missing at a slower rate. The other issue of course is safety - there are many places were techies should not be going with GPS devices. One geocacher was mugged a little over a year ago in NYC and his GPS was stolen. So there are many factors...

It is probably more basic than that:

1.Worldwide there are less than 70K cachers, probably fewer than half would be considered active. Which I would define as having logged a find within the last year. When you bring it down to 07055 , you probably would find that you are the only active cacher in town. Cachers tend to hide close to their home turf so they can maintain. Try and get some of your friends and acquaintances involved and they may hide more.

2.I did run an inquiry within 5 miles of 07055 and I got a return of at least 100. I can suggest Brookdale Park in Bloomfield, Mills Reservation up near Montclair State in addition to the Rifle Camp and Garrett Caches. Saddle River Park in Bergen County.

3.I know you are new to the game, but check out some of the surrounding zip codes. 07070, 07011, 07012, 07015, 07505

4. Lower Passaic Cachers have very poor hide to find ratios. :D, as do most , so you are right they need to get crackin :D

5. I did have a nice series of urban caches in the area of Paterson, actually they were darn good if I do say so myself. :D But they were hard to maintain, so I archived them. I knew I was in trouble when one of them got dropped off a bridge three weeks in a row. Moral of story it is hard to hide an urban cache. So when you do find a good one make sure you thank the hider.

6. Keep your eye open, I think I will go hide one for you today.

Edited by Packanack

There was a cache in 3rd Ward Park in Passaic at one time. It's gone now. I've long though of putting a few in there for old times sake, being that I spent the first 24 years of my life in Passaic.

Anyway, unlike a lot of areas, northern NJ doesn't have a lot of urban caches. The sport in this area has developed largely into one that gets you out of urban areas and into the woods and parks.

Other parts of the country have developed differently and urban caches are quite common.

2.I did run an inquiry within 5 miles of 07055 and I got a return of at least 100. I can suggest Brookdale Park in Bloomfield, Mills Reservation up near Montclair State in addition to the Rifle Camp and Garrett Caches. Saddle River Park in Bergen County.

3.I know you are new to the game, but check out some of the surrounding zip codes. 07070, 07011, 07012, 07015, 07505

4. Lower Passaic Cachers have very poor hide to find ratios. :), as do most , so you are right they need to get crackin :(

Thanks for the tips! :D I'm relatively new to Geocaching as you can see, and I don't drive (or own a GPS at the moment, heh) so finds take some planning for me.

Yes you did. Now as for the others......... :P

marikun I did hide a new one today, and it is less than 1/2 mile from your hide, so you should be able to go and walk to that one, so look for it to be published.

Thanks much!! Maybe I'll get lucky and nab my first FTF. :)

There was a cache in 3rd Ward Park in Passaic at one time. It's gone now. I've long though of putting a few in there for old times sake, being that I spent the first 24 years of my life in Passaic.

Anyway, unlike a lot of areas, northern NJ doesn't have a lot of urban caches. The sport in this area has developed largely into one that gets you out of urban areas and into the woods and parks.

Other parts of the country have developed differently and urban caches are quite common.

I thought 3rd Ward Park would be great for caches, and I'll probably end up hiding one there once I obtain a GPS. I have a few ideas for caches around Passaic, Paterson and the surrounding areas, just have to find a way to implement them.

Wish we could say the same thing in SE Pennsylvania

4. Lower Passaic Cachers have very poor hide to find ratios. :), as do most , so you are right they need to get crackin :(

Thanks for the tips! :D I'm relatively new to Geocaching as you can see, and I don't drive (or own a GPS at the moment, heh) so finds take some planning for me.

Yes you did. Now as for the others......... :P

marikun I did hide a new one today, and it is less than 1/2 mile from your hide, so you should be able to go and walk to that one, so look for it to be published.

Thanks much!! Maybe I'll get lucky and nab my first FTF. :)

I thought 3rd Ward Park would be great for caches, and I'll probably end up hiding one there once I obtain a GPS. I have a few ideas for caches around Passaic, Paterson and the surrounding areas, just have to find a way to implement them.

There is a really tall pine tree in 3rd Ward Park not far from the band shell that they usually decorate for Christmas (well at least they used to). When I was a kid I'd climb darn close to the top of it. I've long thought of putting a cache in that tree among the higher branches. There are also probably dozens of places in the wall along McDonalds Brook that could conceal a micro. It's a tough park to hide something in because there are so many people there. It would be great if you could hide some there. I'd love for an excuse to get back to my old stomping grounds. I rarely go back since my parents moved out and my grandmother passed away. Now I just go there to get my car fixed, or sometimes I pass through on my way to Rutts Hut.

Armory Park would be a cool place to put a cache. Lots of history there, a fascinating place. I remember scouting it looking for a spot for a cache when I first started geocaching, but I couldn't find a place to hide something. That was before I had ever heard of micro caches though. Hmmmm, maybe I'll take a drive down there one day and take another look a the place.

Edited by briansnat

I want to know why Northern NJ, of all places, has areas simply devoid of caches. For example, I live in the Paterson, NJ area (pop. 100,000+) and there are almost no caches around to find. Paterson has only one cache, nearby Clifton has only a handful and Passaic has a resounding none. I don't get it. :)

Take a short trip up to Sussex Co. 07826 many wonderful sites and hikes.

There are actually two caches in Paterson. One is a virtual but it is a great Virtual. The one on the eastside of Paterson is a great cache because I hid it.

There are many caches in Hawthorne.

However, you are correct that Paterson deserves more caches. The ones Packanack hid were great historic spots. Paterson is a great city. Find some historic spots and I will place a cache for each cache you place in Paterson.

Find some historic spots and I will place a cache for each cache you place in Paterson.

Sounds like a wager, a challenge or an event somewhere in there.

I'm in.

I've been looking at Raceway Park (great spot that I pass every morning) but as I understand Packanack had a micro there already.

What I *really* want to do is put a cache right at City Hall... but it would be muggled within a week!

In about an hour or so I'm going to head out the door to scope out a location in Paterson for a cache. I also pass by this one frequently, and as far as I know no one's put a cache there. We'll see...

I've been looking at Raceway Park (great spot that I pass every morning) but as I understand Packanack had a micro there already.

Just because I already had a cache there, does not mean that you can't go back and revisit the place, it is a good place, it is not off limits because a cache once existed there. I like fresh inventory, without fresh inventory the game goes stale, people lose interest and suddenly billiards is on the upswing again.

Just make sure that you don't micro-spew and that your caches have socially redeeming value. Take me somewhere where I want to go, not to some shopping center parking lot.

Edited by Packanack
Just make sure that you don't micro-spew and that your caches have socially redeeming value. Take me somewhere where I want to go, not to some shopping center parking lot.

Ditto. We've been pretty lucky in northern NJ so far and haven't seen the micro spew that is so common in many other areas, but I'm starting to see more and more of it creep in here.

Ditto. We've been pretty lucky in northern NJ so far and haven't seen the micro spew that is so common in many other areas, but I'm starting to see more and more of it creep in here.

I'm certainly not planning on it. I thought about having a series of "Cache n' Shop" caches at supermarkets in the area. I already have one out there but it's rather lame. I was thinking about putting a 5 stage micro multi inside a huge parking lot that I know of up in Midland Park... but I'm sure most cachers would run away screaming. :D

I found a nice spot in Mills Reservation to put a cache that's nowhere near any of the other 7... but I don't want to saturate the park. ;)

I'm actually rooting for micro spew in Northern NJ, just so y'all can feel everyone else's pain. ;)

I'm actually rooting for micro spew in Northern NJ, just so y'all can feel everyone else's pain. ;)

I'll be out your way next week trying to find the 3 non micro caches between Erie and Buffalo

I'm actually rooting for micro spew in Northern NJ, just so y'all can feel everyone else's pain. :D

I'll be out your way next week trying to find the 3 non micro caches between Erie and Buffalo

I have 17" of snow on the ground North of Buffalo (and still counting), and they probably have 2 feet down there. So you'd better pack your metal detector if you want to find those three ammo boxes. :(

I'm actually rooting for micro spew in Northern NJ, just so y'all can feel everyone else's pain. :(

Been wondering why I saw so much cache density the last time I visited my sister and looked at a map of where she lives (Williamsville, NY) :D

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

I'm actually rooting for micro spew in Northern NJ, just so y'all can feel everyone else's pain. :ph34r:

Been wondering why I saw so much cache density the last time I visited my sister and looked at a map of where she lives (Williamsville, NY) :huh:

What are you trying to get me into trouble for? All I said was we have 2 feet of snow here, and that I wish micro spew upon Northern NJ. <_<

I'm actually rooting for micro spew in Northern NJ, just so y'all can feel everyone else's pain. :)

I have 17" of snow on the ground North of Buffalo (and still counting), and they probably have 2 feet down there. So you'd better pack your metal detector if you want to find those three ammo boxes. :)

My Father-in-law reports "we have a lot of snow". From experience I know that when he says a LOT of snow, he means a REALLY LOT of snow. We're bringing our snowshoes.

We'll be there from the 26th through the 30th so if you want to make the drive south, perhaps we can meet for some caching. Perhaps we can meet around Dunkirk (I hear there was a miracle there).

Edited by briansnat

I'm actually rooting for micro spew in Northern NJ, just so y'all can feel everyone else's pain. <_<

Say it ain't so Joe!

I'm certainly not planning on it. I thought about having a series of "Cache n' Shop" caches at supermarkets in the area. I already have one out there but it's rather lame. I was thinking about putting a 5 stage micro multi inside a huge parking lot that I know of up in Midland Park... but I'm sure most cachers would run away screaming. :)

I found a nice spot in Mills Reservation to put a cache that's nowhere near any of the other 7... but I don't want to saturate the park. <_<

I liked your on the On the Passaic cache more than the cache in shop.

I'm actually rooting for micro spew in Northern NJ, just so y'all can feel everyone else's pain. :)

Been wondering why I saw so much cache density the last time I visited my sister and looked at a map of where she lives (Williamsville, NY) ;)

What are you trying to get me into trouble for? All I said was we have 2 feet of snow here, and that I wish micro spew upon Northern NJ. <_<

Actually, the sad part is that it was so busy with her and her kids that only ended up doing Thruway/rt. 17 rest stop caches up and down the way (though at least we did all of the ones on our route and 2 of them (both on 17) were even "regular" caches to our surprise (one an ammo box!). Was going to intro them to caching by doing the one at America's Fair (which was on when we were there), but it rained all day that day.....

Actually, briansnat, look for the hides of a cacher named rfran. She is a teacher south of Buffalo so her hides would be between Buffalo and Erie and I think they're mostly "non micro". I know of her because apparently she takes students once/year on a trip to NY City and as part of the trip picks an "urban woods" cache either in the City or nearby along the way to show them nature coexisting with urbanity and to my pleasant surprise one year she picked one of my "Diamond in the Rough" caches, the one just north of the Bronx. I know she has a multi in woods right behind the school she teaches at about 15-20 miles south of Buffalo, one of these days when I'm up there we have to "return the favor" and find it.

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

I figured that most cachers would, and that's why I'm making an effort to place more smalls and regulars. In fact, I hope to have a series of "On the Passaic" caches at scenic and/or historic locations along the river.

As the holidays pass us by I'm going to be placing a few more. To be honest micros don't appeal to me as much as larger sized caches, but they are a lot easier and cheaper (important in this economy). However, I won't be placing too many. <_<

I figured that most cachers would, and that's why I'm making an effort to place more smalls and regulars. In fact, I hope to have a series of "On the Passaic" caches at scenic and/or historic locations along the river.

As the holidays pass us by I'm going to be placing a few more. To be honest micros don't appeal to me as much as larger sized caches, but they are a lot easier and cheaper (important in this economy). However, I won't be placing too many. <_<

Check out Walmart. Lock n Locks are $2.50 each there, or $6 for a 6 piece set (3 containers and 3 lids).

I know its more expensive than a film canister, but you don't have to spend a ton for a decent container.

Edited by briansnat

Check out Walmart. Lock n Locks are $2.50 each there, or $6 for a 6 piece set (3 containers and 3 lids).

I know its more expensive than a film canister, but you don't have to spend a ton for a decent container.

Lock n Locks are what I currently use for hiding caches. I did find a cheap large sized Lock n Lock, maybe 2/3rds the volume of an ammo can for $4. But thanks for the tip.

But hey... film canisters are free if you have them lying around the house. :shocked:

Lock n Locks are what I currently use for hiding caches. I did find a cheap large sized Lock n Lock, maybe 2/3rds the volume of an ammo can for $4. But thanks for the tip.

But hey... film canisters are free if you have them lying around the house. :shocked:

Yes, film canisters are certainly free. :shocked: Check out Dollar General, they have "Farberware", which is an exact copy of lock-n-locks, and although I don't remember the prices, I'm sure it's even cheaper than Wally World's lock-n-locks.

Yes, film canisters are certainly free. :ph34r: Check out Dollar General, they have "Farberware", which is an exact copy of lock-n-locks, and although I don't remember the prices, I'm sure it's even cheaper than Wally World's lock-n-locks.

Luke, Beware the darkside! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

He's just trying to get the micro spoo infecting your hometown! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :ph34r:

Get a vaccine and buy a lock-n-lock! :shocked:

I saw a recent post where some guy is bartering lock-n-locks. Anyway they are cheaper in the long run because you don't have to buy gas to make the make the maintenance checks. I have had to replace many micros but only one ammo box and that's because a bear tore it apart to eat something someone put inside of it.

Regarding you On The Passaic Idea. You have my vote for mayor! See link:

Along the Passaic: Elmwood Park Seems that was a micro and it kept getting washed away in floods or eated by the ducks!

Ohy: P.S. I think Lock-n-locks are better in this area of New Jersey than ammo cans. Ammo cans have a higher chance of getting the cops called if placed in an urban setting. If someone seas the corner of a lock-n-lock they will think it is trash and just leave it on the ground. Also, I hear those Coke Christmas ornament shaped things are negative attention getters. :shocked: Look forward to your caches. Do you mind if others use the Prefix (On The Passaic) I have a few I would like to place.

Edited by weathernowcast

Another option is to buy one of the large Lock n Lock sets. You get a bunch of containers of various sizes and shapes for around $30. Amazon.com has it.

Film canisters leak. I've rarely found one were the log was dry. If you must place a micro, head over to Walmart and pick up some waterproof match containers. 97 cents. Ok they are orange but some camo duct tape, or paint made for plastic will take care of that.

At the Container Store, Rt 17 NB in Paramus, 07652 you will find a variety of nalgene containers that are similar in size and smaller than film canisters, they have a snap lock that is listed as water resistant, they also have a variety of snap lock containers in the lock n lock vein. It is on the same side of the highway as Ramsey Outdoor Store, Campmor and Eastern Mountain Sports, so why not make a day trip of it. Hey, it is Christmas Eve on a rainy icy day--Why not do it NOW !!!

Consider it my gift to you this season.

At the Container Store, Rt 17 NB in Paramus, 07652 you will find a variety of nalgene containers that are similar in size and smaller than film canisters, they have a snap lock that is listed as water resistant, they also have a variety of snap lock containers in the lock n lock vein. It is on the same side of the highway as Ramsey Outdoor Store, Campmor and Eastern Mountain Sports, so why not make a day trip of it. Hey, it is Christmas Eve on a rainy icy day--Why not do it NOW !!!

I just looked up their website and for New York store locations they list 4:

58th and Lexington, NYC

6th ave, NYC

White Plains, NY and

Paramus, NJ :shocked:

58th and Lexington, NYC

6th ave, NYC

White Plains, NY and

Why, everyone knows suburban NJ is the 6th borough. :shocked:

58th and Lexington, NYC

6th ave, NYC

White Plains, NY and

Why, everyone knows suburban NJ is the 6th borough. :shocked:

I guess so because all 3 NY stores are closer to NJ than the Paramus store is to NY. :shocked:

In about an hour or so I'm going to head out the door to scope out a location in Paterson for a cache. I also pass by this one frequently, and as far as I know no one's put a cache there. We'll see...

Submitted this one for reviewing and publishing. :lol:

Look for some new ones over Xmas break

I was sorta looking for some places to hide a cache when I was pulled over and given a moving violation ticket so I may be avoiding Paterson for a while. Except when I am serving Jury Duty and fighting my ticket on the same week.

Urban areas also lots of time are not conducive to GPS reception due to bounce of tall buildings. For instance, while there are many caches in NYC, I have never found one with a GPS cause reception is so bad. Instead those I usually do with google map printouts (technically not really geocaching). Also, New Jersey has lots of wonderful parks and suppose geocachers in Northern Jersey prefer to be in the park rather than dodging cars in traffic. Dont have to worry about muggles as much and cache go missing at a slower rate. The other issue of course is safety - there are many places were techies should not be going with GPS devices. One geocacher was mugged a little over a year ago in NYC and his GPS was stolen. So there are many factors...

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but Polskikrol made it sound as if urban caches are distasteful and potentially hazardous to one's health (and wealth). While I agree that bounce from tall buildings really does mess with my GPSr many rock walls and trees in the forest preserves do the same.

And while I fell for the cacher who got mugged, its a complete misnomer that NYC is dangerous to visit. I have cached is some nice areas of the city and some really nasty suburban areas.

Again, sorry for going as bit off topic, but I really felt strongly enough about this that I needed to respond. Agitation out of the way, now I can go to sleep. :lol:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but Polskikrol made it sound as if urban caches are distasteful and potentially hazardous to one's health (and wealth). While I agree that bounce from tall buildings really does mess with my GPSr many rock walls and trees in the forest preserves do the same.

And while I fell for the cacher who got mugged, its a complete misnomer that NYC is dangerous to visit. I have cached is some nice areas of the city and some really nasty suburban areas.

Again, sorry for going as bit off topic, but I really felt strongly enough about this that I needed to respond. Agitation out of the way, now I can go to sleep. :laughing:

UM, I was really tired and cranky last night and I came off a bit nasty. And well, I can't delete the post,( I tried)

So sorry for the digression

UM, I was really tired and cranky last night and I came off a bit nasty.

I am so totally missing your point, You say that like there is something wrong with that. :laughing:

But back on topic, I have hidden urbans, they are high maint as far as I can see.

They can have a wonderful grip for cachers. One of the great ones is 5 Star NY, a wonderful seeking experience . One of my favorite view caches is West New York Aerie, Harry Dolphin/Andy Bear. Geocaching does not have to be an either / or proposition . Personally, I love all the diversity of the locations, the personalities .

Now let me demonstrate NASTY for you:

weathernowcast says:

I was sorta looking for (trouble with that vanity plate on the Prius) some places to hide a cache when I was (swerving all over the road while looking at gps) pulled over and given a moving violation ticket so I may be avoiding(as you well should as you fell into the suburban drug purchaser profile) Paterson for a while. Except when I am serving Jury Duty and fighting my ticket on the same week.(Pay the ticket and save yourself the grief) :anitongue::laughing:

Edited by Packanack

UM, I was really tired and cranky last night and I came off a bit nasty.

I am so totally missing your point, You say that like there is something wrong with that. :anitongue:

But back on topic, I have hidden urbans, they are high maint as far as I can see.

They can have a wonderful grip for cachers. One of the great ones is 5 Star NY, a wonderful seeking experience . One of my favorite view caches is West New York Aerie, Harry Dolphin/Andy Bear. Geocaching does not have to be an either / or proposition . Personally, I love all the diversity of the locations, the personalities .

Now let me demonstrate NASTY for you:

weathernowcast says:

I was sorta looking for (trouble with that vanity plate on the Prius) some places to hide a cache when I was (swerving all over the road while looking at gps) pulled over and given a moving violation ticket so I may be avoiding(as you well should as you fell into the suburban drug purchaser profile) Paterson for a while. Except when I am serving Jury Duty and fighting my ticket on the same week.(Pay the ticket and save yourself the grief) :laughing::laughing:

hahaha, that's funny! :laughing:

I was sorta looking for some places to hide a cache when I was pulled over and given a moving violation ticket so I may be avoiding Paterson for a while. Except when I am serving Jury Duty and fighting my ticket on the same week.

Not to denigrate the Silk City, but I wouldn't want to serve on jury duty there! We needed some benchmarks for a contest, we we went for the ones on the county courthouse. Across the street from the Sheriff's office, and county jail. Parked behind a car. Noticed that the window was broken, and thing were missing from the dashboard. I'll go take the pictures of the benchmark, you stay with the car!!!!