GPSMap 60CSx Backlight issue

I noticed recently that my backlight no longer works. I'm hoping it hasn't completely gone "nipples north" on me, but that's what it's looking like. I power cycled the unit, downloaded latest s/w version, and eventually did a hard reset all to no avail. (I know those were futile attempts at best, but ya never know what might work!) I can't seem to find any in-depth info on the backlight either to help. Anyone else come across this issue with their 60CSx? I've had this unit for about 2.5 yrs if that helps any.

When you say the backlight isn't working, do you mean it isn't coming on at all ever--when you select various pages etc--or just not coming on when you press the power button on top?

Have you checked to see what the power level is on the backlight? If it is down to 5%, it won't appear to be one--set it up to 80% and see what happens.

Have you turned the backlight on and off a couple of times in the set up? (Setup--Display--Backlight timeout and Setup--Display---backlight level). I keep mine at about 25%

Have you tried changing the color theme on the unit?

Have you tried resetting everything to factory specs?

The lights won't "burn out" (which is what I thought you meant by the vaguely vulgar euphemism you used in your post)--but the power switch that also controls the light could be a bit soggy--any problems with powering on and off?

We had one which developed a problem with the backlight... the screen would only light up intermittently and would go on/off if we lightly tapped the side of the unit. It was under warranty and went back for repair.

Try pressing the power button and setting the backlight slider to half or full. Do just the buttons light up, or neither? It may help to take the unit into a dark room to check.

Thanks for the replies....I normally keep my backlight set to 50%, and it's set to that now. The button lights work, just no screen light regardless of what page I'm on or pressing the power button. I've got it connected to the PC via the USB, no light...disconnected and pressing the power button, no light.

The icon at the top of the screen says the backlight is on, but only the button lights are on. I've had no issues with powering on/off either.

What brought my attention to it was driving home from work the other day, out of the blue, the unit chirped. I looked at it and no backlight.

UPDATE:

Even tho this query didn't appear to get much traffic, I wanted to put out that the backlight is working again. Was out on a cache-dash today and saw that my batteries were running low. So I swapped them out with a pair of regular alkalines (had rechargables in there for some time). For S's and G's, I tested the light and it worked. Not sure what the correlation between the 2 types of batteries was, but it's all good to go.

UPDATE:

Even tho this query didn't appear to get much traffic, I wanted to put out that the backlight is working again. Was out on a cache-dash today and saw that my batteries were running low. So I swapped them out with a pair of regular alkalines (had rechargables in there for some time). For S's and G's, I tested the light and it worked. Not sure what the correlation between the 2 types of batteries was, but it's all good to go.

Good to know you resolved that.

There is a setting to show type of battery being used:

Main Menu > Set Up > System > Battery type

Alkaline

NiMH

Lithium

There is a setting to show type of battery being used:

Main Menu > Set Up > System > Battery type

Alkaline

NiMH

Lithium

Just so OP won't be wondering if something is wrong, the 3.70 update for the 60CSx only list Alkaline and NiMH as battery type options. The Lithium setting used to be a setting option but was eliminated in a software update for the 60CSx

Mine has just recently done the same thing...I am using the 4.00 software version and I am using a Mac. I have tried a factory reset, uninstalling and reinstalling the maps to no avail. I will attempt to call Garmin on Friday, but mine is almost 2 years old and out of warranty.

Any suggestions aside from crossing my fingers? This appears to be a somewhat common occurrence.

Thanks for the help.