TextMarks SMS (from Coord.info site) for logging field notes

FireRef

I found this about 2-3 weeks ago, and love it - I can send texts from my phone, and it creates a field note, keeps them in order of find, I can send a few words to help me remember the cache, and then just click through the list to post logs (after typing in the appropriate comments).

I have some friends who haven't been able to get it to work - waiting for gs.com to reply to my email asking for help.

Otherwise, it's a great system. I think they need to add the ability to post a "post note" option, instead of found/not found only, but that's a minor thing.

Comments? Good? Bad? Anyone else using it?

I played around with it, but don't use it. I get a set number of free messages a month on my phone plan. That would actually be enough to use this system, except that the confirmation messages it sends back are also counted against my total, which essentially cuts that available number in half. And while a "Yup" is all I need for a lame LPC, other caches require a lot more log space.

Well, I don't actually send a full log with each one - Just a couple of words to remember something unique about each cache. When I pull up the field notes and pick "post log", it fills in everything, including my couple of notes, and then I just delete that and type in my real log entry.

But I see your point - I have an unlimited plan, so it works well.

I think it is a great thing - especially with the Twitter integration. I just wish each user had a little more control of the messages sent to outside services like Twitter.

I've been using it and love it. I like the integration with Twitter and Facebook. It's kinda cool to see where your friends are caching at!

For those that don't know what the heck we're talking about, check out http://coord.info/textmark.aspx

It's also a great and fast way to go to a cache page, just type the GC number of the cache after the coord.info, like http://coord.info/gcj7vh Takes you right to the cache page..it's really great when you're out in the field and have a cell phone with internet access.

I'd love to try it but coord.info doesn't work in Canada.

Do you mean you can't access the site or the SMS stuff doesn't work?

I can access the site fine, but when I tried to send a text message to 41411 with the GEOC in it, I did not get a response.

Does this feature only work in the US?

I'd love to try it but coord.info doesn't work in Canada.

Does this feature only work in the US?

Is TextMarks available outside the U.S.?

* No. We are only available in the U.S.

Well, quite frankly, that sucks.

Guess I'll have to wait til they getting the logging feature on the iphone. Would have loved to have been able to make notes that are accessible from the website.

I can access the site fine, but when I tried to send a text message to 41411 with the GEOC in it, I did not get a response.

Yep, exactly. The true north may be strong and free, but we get hosed when it comes to technology -- no Hulu, no Textmarks and data plans for smart phones that make you weep gently.

TextMarks is based around the short SMS address system which is country-specific. Canada's overall phone number system is integrated with that of the US (country code 1) but its short SMS codes are in a separate space.

I suppose if TextMarks ever became a substantial revenue generator (direct or indirect) then Groundspeak might consider setting up a similar service in other markets. But even then I wonder if there aren't legal issues. It would have to be a juicy market for Groundspeak to incorporate in Canada or Germany just to do this.

Texting is a nice feature for those of us that use more than one database in a day. I travel from city to city for my job. I keep a database for each area. As I leave one area and enter another I import the listings for the new area from the database and into Cacheberry. It works well, but any field notes that I have entered in the old area get lost.

By texting the logs in I don't have to worry about losing fieldnotes. Texting my finds is also a lot faster than visiting the cache listing and entering the log there. Mobile browsers are still a little slow.

I am not having any problems logging finds with texts, but I can't seem to log DNFs.

As soon as our new phones come, I am going to apply for this one. One thing I was wondering is if you can get coordinates for caches sent to your phone? This would be great when a new SMS pops up telling me about a new cache when I am not at home. Yes, I am an FTF hound.

As soon as our new phones come, I am going to apply for this one. One thing I was wondering is if you can get coordinates for caches sent to your phone? This would be great when a new SMS pops up telling me about a new cache when I am not at home. Yes, I am an FTF hound.

Those people are actually having emails sent to their phones, not SMS text messages. Or some of them may have come up with an elaborate scheme to have their email application send out a text message. Either way, as I'm sure you know, new cache notification emails don't contain cache coordinates anyways. You can receive the first 140 characters of a cache page via a text message, but I don't know if that includes the coordinates.

When I was playing around with the textmarks, probably the coolest thing you could do with it was receive decrypted cache hints via text. Just used it the other day actually. Works good, and very fast.

Geobeagle (http://code.google.com/p/geobeagle/) the app I use with my Android G1 phone integrates txtmarks and that's a key part of my paperless setup. Get to a find using Geobeagle, which also functions as a GPS unit, or using my Vista HCx then log the find in Geobeagle, it sends an SMS to textmarks which pops the message into my field notes and tweets my find to all my Twitter followers. It's great, I love it.

Those people are actually having emails sent to their phones, not SMS text messages. Or some of them may have come up with an elaborate scheme to have their email application send out a text message. ......................

Oh, a comment on this one too. "Most" cell companies give you an e-mail address that you can send an e-mail to which gets converted to a SMS message and sent to your phone. Verizon, for example, is phonenumber@vtext.com. So, sending mail to 5175551212@vtext.com will send a text message to the person with the cell number of (517) 555-1212. Also a good way to send your friends text messages without burning your allowed messages in your monthly plan...assuming you don't have an unlimited plan. :D

Edited by MICacheBandits

Those people are actually having emails sent to their phones, not SMS text messages. Or some of them may have come up with an elaborate scheme to have their email application send out a text message. ......................

Oh, a comment on this one too. "Most" cell companies give you an e-mail address that you can send an e-mail to which gets converted to a SMS message and sent to your phone. Verizon, for example, is phonenumber@vtext.com. So, sending mail to 5175551212@vtext.com will send a text message to the person with the cell number of (517) 555-1212. Also a good way to send your friends text messages without burning your allowed messages in your monthly plan...assuming you don't have an unlimited plan. :D

I figured this sort of technology existed, although I personally have no use for it. :D Although now that I think of it, the 2 or 3 Twitter.com personal messages I have received in my entire Twitter career have in fact been converted to text messages, and sent to my phone. And one of them was even over 140 characters, and the text messages were labeled 1 of 2 and 2 of 2.

But still, in the message I was replying to, you're not going to get cache coordinates of a newly published cache sent to your phone via either SMS or email. I have heard tales of FTF hounds getting a new cache alert on their phones, and either calling someone on the phone for the actual coordinates, or going on the internet on their phones to the newly published cache page.

Well, the new phones are in and Textmark is pretty awesome. I don't have a data plan, so no internet access via phone, but the Textmark makes it able to receive coordinates, name, difficulty/terrain, and size of container in a SMS message. Pretty nice for those FTF runs without having to run home to check on the computer.