Garmin 24K topo questions

Hi,

Has anyone purchased one of the new TOPO US 24K cartridges for their area? I'm wondering if the roads and streets are shown at the same level of detail as with CityNavigator NT N. America. Are the roads placed accurately on the 24K maps, or are they off like with the TOPO basemaps in the Colorado and Oregon?

Since Garmin advertises these maps as having routable roads and trails, I'm wondering if they are suitable substitutes for CityNav in the regions they cover?

Are you happy with the products?

I'm most interested in the California/Nevada and Washington/Oregon sets.

Thanks!

Hi,

Has anyone purchased one of the new TOPO US 24K cartridges for their area? I'm wondering if the roads and streets are shown at the same level of detail as with CityNavigator NT N. America. Are the roads placed accurately on the 24K maps, or are they off like with the TOPO basemaps in the Colorado and Oregon?

Since Garmin advertises these maps as having routable roads and trails, I'm wondering if they are suitable substitutes for CityNav in the regions they cover?

Are you happy with the products?

I'm most interested in the California/Nevada and Washington/Oregon sets.

Thanks!

I have the Garmin 24K Topo CA/NV microSD in my 60CSx. It has replaced my City Navigator NT v8 and Topo 2008 that I used to download from MapSource. I can tell you the roads are the same as City Navigator (a little better for me as the micsoSD card is updated from my version 8) and they are routable. The topo info is displayed simultaneously with the streets so there is no need to hide/show one or the other which I think is an improvement. I don't have an Oregon or a Colorado so I can't answer your question as how it compares with those units and their basemaps, but I can say I haven't noticed anything off about the roads on the microSD so far.

Yes this is a nice substitute for both Topo and City Nav if all you need are just the state(s) the microSD covers.

I have noticed a few flaws in my CA/NV micsoSD. The arrived at tone usually doesn't sound when you reach your destination when completing a route, and sometimes the route calculation hangs a bit long which once resulted in my GPSr shutting down by itself. These maybe compatability issues with the 60CSx or maybe these two issues appear in all Garmin mapping units. I don't have anything other than a 60CSx to try the microSD card in.

I have the CA/NV card. I really like it. It is the best of both worlds. The streets of City Nav which are very accurate combined with a very highly detailed topo map. The topo is much more detailed than the Topo 2008, BUT there are some trails missing from the 24k topo that are on the Topo 2008 for some reason. I have a profile set on my Oregon with Topo 2008 chosen for those times when a trail might be missing but for the rest of the time I use the CA/NV card, both for routing the streets and hiking the back country. I also have City Nav Nt on my Oregon but rarely ever look at anymore.