The forum is unusable at least once a day

Kohavis

I usually stop in here several times a day to catch up. Morning, afternoon, middle of the night, etc.

I usually don't complain about forums loading slow, but it seems the forum here is getting worse these last few weeks. At times I have to click on a topic I want to read, then open another Firefox tab so I can go off and do something else while I wait the 5 to 10 minutes it takes to load. A little while ago I had to give up because it didn't load at all - it just hung.

Other times I'll post a new topic and the topic is there, but my post isn't. This has happened to a number of members here.

What is going on, and is there relief in the near future for us?

(I'm posting this here because there seems to be a forum for reporting problems with geocaching.com but none for Groundspeak.com).

The forum is down for approximately 15 minutes per day while the servers perform a daily backup. This scheduled downtime occurs at 11:00 p.m., Pacific (Groundspeak) time.

I have found problems at all times of the day. I get the 45 second timeout (that takes about five minutes to finally get the error message) and I get slow loading quite often. Most of the time when a thread is slow loading, the status line shows "waiting for pagead2.googlesyndication.com"

By the way, that 15 minutes is getting longer. It used to be about 5 minutes and is now getting closer to 17 minutes. I no longer try at that time of the day.

I don't wait if it looks hung up like that. Just refresh, or use the back button and click the link again. Usually works right away the second time.

If you're submitting a message, the worst thing you can do is hit refresh if it appears your post didn't go through. Every time you hit refresh, you're telling the server to resubmit your post, resulting in double, triple and more posts.

Even if you get that long text error message that comes up every so often when posting, your post has gone through. I've seen that happen a lot and my message has gone through every time.

Edited by Skippermark

Four times in the last 2 hours, there has been at least a nine minute of inability to do anything at all in the forums. Well, 9 minutes for the case where I just posted something and wanted to add some wording. The other 3 times seemed like forever.

One of those times was immediately before I wrote this, and I'm frustrated.

Must be related the the thing that Elias mentioned recently at the Lackey event in Mass, oh boy I hope not. New forum software, broken links to all old messages and so on.

:)FROG MEMO :(

TO: Elias

DATE: November 4, 2008

RE: PROJECT "YANKEE BULLFROG"

Per your request, I've been monitoring Project Yankee Bullfrog metrics for proof of concept purposes. Since the Phase 1 rollout, effective throttle times for Trainlove's posts are averaging at least nine minutes.

There does, however, appear to be some unwanted collateral effects on other segments of the user population. The dev team may wish to investigate this before the Project migrates from the beta test phase.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of further assistance.

I have seen countless errors today,

and occasionally ever since I joined,

to the extent of at least once every few days,

at worst dozens of times in a single day,

(perhaps I chanced on peak periods)

mostly of the following variants:

IPB WARNING [2] mysql_connect(): Too many connections (Line: 131 of \ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php)

There appears to be an error with the database.

SQL error: Too many connections
SQL error code: 
Date: Thursday 06th of November 2008 03:44:01 PM

PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\ipsclass.php on line 1111

CGI Timeout
The specified CGI application exceeded the allowed time for processing. The server has deleted the process.

No doubt it is occurring to many others who are online, who are, altogether, mildly overloading the forum server.

I am sure the development team is aware of this.

But, just to voice or support the opinion that perhaps it might be worthwhile and timely to raise the priority of upgrading a little...

(For in all tech departments I have been in, once in stable production, hardware doesn't really change until end-users start to notice and mention/complain of it glitching/reaching-limits.)

Perhaps this is a sign - the forum's machine is suggesting to us - that the server hardware hosting the forum might need to be upgraded, and the system settings changed to raise the process, memory and connection limits?

Lowering execution timeout would also help, as: If it is timing out, whether we wait 30 seconds or 45, we'll still get to the same error notification page anyway. If we can see it sooner, some people might be less likely to click again.

And before the usual slew of 'Check this! Try this! U n00b?' - No, I know for a fact that it has nothing to do with my computer, my software, my connection, my IT experience, or my political affiliation.

The server telling us with increasing frequency that it's just getting a little overworked is all...

...a good thing, I suppose, for this community is experiencing very robust growth.

Edited by Zarya.
I don't wait if it looks hung up like that. Just refresh, or use the back button and click the link again. Usually works right away the second time.

If you're submitting a message, the worst thing you can do is hit refresh if it appears your post didn't go through. Every time you hit refresh, you're telling the server to resubmit your post, resulting in double, triple and more posts.

Even if you get that long text error message that comes up every so often when posting, your post has gone through. I've seen that happen a lot and my message has gone through every time.

Oh, I don't hit refresh if I've just posted. Only if I'm opening a page and it loads slow. Yeah, refreshing from a 'submit' action is a recipe for disaster. I should have gone into more detail.