Home Depot 5 Gallon buckets

duckdogs

They sell these with lids available. I notice that the lids fit tight have a gasket that might make them relatively waterproof similiar to a lock-n-lock. I would like to hide a large cache and this seems ideal. Has anyone tried them? If so, how did they stand up to the elements?

They sell these with lids available. I notice that the lids fit tight have a gasket that might make them relatively waterproof similiar to a lock-n-lock. I would like to hide a large cache and this seems ideal. Has anyone tried them? If so, how did they stand up to the elements?

You might buy one, fill it with water, then leave it on its side for a few days and see if you get any leakage! Not a bad idea at all. If it really has a gasket, perhaps it was made for holding paint. If that's the case, it might work out very well as a cache! I'd be curious to see how you do with this!

Pete

I am aware of a business that has used them with varying success in an application where no air can get to the product inside. The consensus is that the seal created by the lid is only as good as the last person that puts the lid back on. If the gasket gets pinched or comes out of the guide you will not have a waterproof seal. Where they are not similar to lock-n-lock is you cannot tell if you have sealed it correctly or not. I'd say a few factors will play into the effectiveness of this container. Things like: How often it is visited and the care used in replacing the lid. The amount of contamination that is allow to get on the gasket seal. If it is directly exposed to the weather.

You can always improve the lid. better lid
Fom the linky:
Simply secure on the Gamma Seal to your bucket and access items contained inside by un-screwing the inner portion of the lid.
MS-L701.jpg

OOOHHH!!

I WANT ONE!!!!!

:D

I have a gamma seal lid on one of my 5 gallon bucket caches and the cache has been dry so far (nearly a year). I had another bucket with the lid that they sell at Home Depot and it leaked because people didn't snap it down completely. The gamma seal is more idiot proof. :D:D

We have several of these buckets hidden as caches around our area and have never had one leak. We have even trimed the lid a little to make it easier to remove. Two of them have been out in the elements for over a year and are problem free. :)

My hint though is if you put out a cache of this size is to load it with large swag. Its no fun for people to find a cache of that size and only find a few rubber balls and a plastic cowboy in it.

I think the hardest thing about using a container of this size is finding a place to hide it, not to mention that the buckets are bright orange.

You'd have to either camoflage it very well or hide it far off the beaten path. Even then you'd be surprised how often people wander far off the beaten path, so it still might be accidentally discovered.

We found one of these not too long ago out in a nature preserve.... but it was well camouflaged and hanging 40-feet in the air with a really cool rope and pulley system. It's been there for a while and everything was dry and secure. :)

Check the plastic type, the number in the chasing arrows and usually a letter code underneath. If it's polyethylene -- LDPE or HDPE, code 2 or 4 -- then it will degrade in sunlight. It may take a few years, since it's pretty heavy, but it will degrade. All the 5-gallon buckets I've seen are polyethylene. The one I've found as a cache was about five years old and had held up OK for most of that time, but was starting to get pretty brittle.

So if you're only planning the cache for 2 or 3 years, it's probably a good container. If you want it to last longer, you'll either have to plan on replacing it or use a more durable container.

Edward

If you go to your local grocery store (Safeway, Albertson's etc) go to the Deli or bakery section and ask if they have empty buckets. They throw them away, so they are more than happy to give you some. Most come with gasket lids. I've been using them for feeders, water carriers etc etc for years. I've done a few bucket caches, but have always been amazed that they've lasted as long as they have. Just way too big IMHO.

Edited by GeoRoo

We recently found one of these and all was well with it. I think the key was the fact that it was hidden under a sandstone cliff that took some major balance to get to. It was totally out of the elements (short of a major windy rain storm) and not were anyone walks. It was kind of cool to hold the gps and be 100% accurate when I said "I'm standing on it."

I've seen 2 of these "out there". Both had contents that were dry and secure. However, I think keeping them upright is the key. I know from past experience years ago that these really are only as good as the last person that put the lid on. Especially when sat on thier sides.

I've used on. It worked out well. It was hidden upright. The gaskets don't just fall out. The cammo paint doesn't stick so well. Like all hides and containers they are as good as the last finder. Mostly finders can figure out a 5 gallon bucket. I had more problems with Decon containers.