New GPSr Suggestion?

loadedgun

I have a Magellan Explorist 100 that I have used for the last 2 years. This is my first GPSr, and I'm ready to upgrade. I currently am a paperless cacher, but that involves manually adding the coordinates and any hints I can fit into the character limitation text box in the unit. Needless to say I am ready for a new one.

My question is, what is a good GPSr that I can download the caches straight to the unit without having to manually input it myself? Or does one even exist? I'm imagining one that I can connect to my PC, copy over the caches I want to search for, then go find them, with all of the information stored in my GPSr already. It is currently taking me around 30 minutes just to add all the coordinates. This is taking too much time away from caching and also eating my battery life.

Keep in mind I'd like to go as cheap as possible, but I'm not even sure if there is one that will do what I'm wanting to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance~

I would say if you are looking at cheap and doing what you are looking for Something in the Garmin Etrex series. Like the Venture HC can be picked up for around $125 some times cheaper.

I can recommend the Venture HC, too. I recently upgraded to it from my trusty little Geko after a local cacher gave me this link. At only $115, I couldn't pass it up. It's very easy to upload coordinates with its USB cable.

I like the eTrex Venture as well but it really doesn't address the paperless issue. The eTrex line is very limited in how much data you can store in the text fields. While there are a number of methods for sort of encoding data on the unit - all fall short of true paperless caching. Easy to trasfer the waypoints though.

The only units that really offer drop the file and go paperless are Garmin's Colorado, Oregon and Nuvi 500 lines. All very expensive at over $400 minimum.

Go ahead and get the Venture but supplment it with a cheap used Palm from ebay ($25) - that plus cachmate will get you full page listings out in the field.

I also recommend the Venture HC if you want inexpensive, and not having true paperless caching isn't a show-stopper.

If money was no object there are several units out there that'll do it all. But you'll pay dearly for it.

StarBrand's suggestion is the best of both worlds - an inexpensive but good GPSr and a cheapo used PDA :) The downside is having two things to carry, but for many that's not a big deal.

How is this any better than a Magellan Explorist 500? I'm kinda leaning towards the Magellan because I have the 100 and I'm so used to it and like it. The 500 has a rechargeable battery too, which is a plus. But the Venture is getting great reviews.

Is there something better with the Etrex than the Magellan that I don't know about?

Well, for starters you can send cache info straight to the Garmin from the website. From what I have read, Magellan's aren't what they used to be, and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired...

The Venture HC is also less expensive at $115. You did ask for cheap. IMO, the Venture HC is the best bang for the buck GPSr out there...

Although, if you don't mind a refurbished unit, you might want to consider the DeLorme PN-20. Do a search for reviews on it...