Any cachers doing anything?

Welcome to the sport.

Unfortunately you've stumbled upon the major grey area when it comes to Geocaching. The promotion of a "worthy cause" without permission from Groundspeak, who own and run this site, is a big no no; and has caused grief in this forum on several occasions.

May I suggest taking the discussions to the GAGB website, where no such restrictions are in place.

http://www.gagb.org.uk

I don't know why you accuse me of being a sock puppet, just because I'm new here. Charming. :)

All I was doing was asking if any Geocachers were doing anything related to the annual appeal, I'm not promoting enything. Even if I were I don't see the harm but that's not for me to say. I thought geocachers were good people (well the one's I've met already have been very nice people) and I sort of assumed they/you would be joining in the countrywide fun and games. If not then so be it, I'll crawl away and not disturb your friendly discussions.

Hello CiN and welcome to the forums. I'm sorry that we may seem a little offish, but there's a long history of sock puppet accounts being used for various reasons, and on this forum, charity can be a dirty word. That's not generally the feeling of most users, but for better or for worse, we have to be very careful around the topic. Ever since the Tsunami of Boxing Day 2004, and several threads being closed down, the feeling has been to keep clear of the subject. Once in a while special dispencation has been given (geocaching calenders, for example) but even this can cause problems; when an ex-UK reviewer/mod tried swapping some for geocoins, he got a 3 day ban. So! Please don't take it personally- It's just your caching name and questions could lead to trouble, hopefully not for you, but perhaps others. All very uncharitable, but these are the forum guidelines.

Thank you Paul for the information. I certainly don't want any trouble. So in order to try and avoid any unpleasantness I'd like to check a couple of things here first.

If I wanted to place a cache and start it off with some CIN themed goodies would that be allowed?

If I wanted to make some CIN themed swaps in existing caches would that be allowed?

If I wanted to chat here about what I was planning to do would that be allowed?

If I wanted to chat here about other things I was involved in (without necessarily mentioning CIN) would that be allowed?

And if anyone is interested, my sock drawer is full of clean socks, and nothing else!!

Thank you Paul for the information. I certainly don't want any trouble. So in order to try and avoid any unpleasantness I'd like to check a couple of things here first.

If I wanted to place a cache and start it off with some CIN themed goodies would that be allowed?

If I wanted to make some CIN themed swaps in existing caches would that be allowed?

If I wanted to chat here about what I was planning to do would that be allowed?

If I wanted to chat here about other things I was involved in (without necessarily mentioning CIN) would that be allowed?

And if anyone is interested, my sock drawer is full of clean socks, and nothing else!!

Points 1 and 2 a reviewer should be able to tell you, and points 3 and 4, a forum mod. As I understand the (sometimes fluid) rules, any cache that 'solicits' is a no-no, so a cache with a CiN theme or contents might get questioned. I imagine swaps left elsewhere would be less of a problem (if problem there is) but again, I'm not 100% sure what the official line is. On the forum, the general rule is 'is it caching related?' which makes talking about a charitable stuff 'risky' - I recall a thread about a Commando Challenge event was closed not so long ago, for just this reason. Talking about other things would depend on what they were. Asking what tyre pressures your car needs (to pluck a topic from the past) might not be deemed caching-related. Talking about taking photos of wildlife while out caching would probably be fine. Don't ask me where the line of 'caching-related'/'not-caching-related-enough' is though. It moves a bit, depending on the wind. These are only my thoughts on the questions though. Hopefully an official word will come soon.
Points 1 and 2 a reviewer should be able to tell you, and points 3 and 4, a forum mod.

Thank you again Paul for a reasoned and friendly reply. This newbie appreciates your help, I'm glad there are people like you around in this game who are happy to answer questions rather than some of the "moaning minnies" I've seen in the past couple of days.

To get back on topic it was answers from reviewers/mods I was hoping to attract so I'll wait before doing anything.

Points 1 and 2 a reviewer should be able to tell you, and points 3 and 4, a forum mod.

Thank you again Paul for a reasoned and friendly reply. This newbie appreciates your help, I'm glad there are people like you around in this game who are happy to answer questions rather than some of the "moaning minnies" I've seen in the past couple of days.

To get back on topic it was answers from reviewers/mods I was hoping to attract so I'll wait before doing anything.

Faggle might be able to help you. His first hide and your first find are only 3.4kms apart...........I'm surprised you haven't met each other already!

Edited by Jacobite

I was surprised no mod answered your questions, but as there aren't any UK-based ones now, it might be worth contacting the reviewers about your first two. You should try the GAGB forum, link in my sig line below. Recognised charities aren't a problem there- Just don't try collecting for the military wing of an organisation... like the Salvation Army :):grin:

I was chatting to Alex (Slytherin) a short while ago and he mentioned he was flying over from the states to attend this event. Many of the old timers, like me, will remember Mark "The Cat" with affection and the work he used to do to combine geocaching with good causes (see, I'm being good and not mentioning any naughty words). Given the date on Friday and what a national televesion company were scheduling, the fact that Alex is flying in from Austin, TX and the memory of Mark it would be great if the event was well supported. If nothing else the pies and peas sound lovely and I'm sure even the Northern beer will not be too bad :laughing:

Maybe the person who started this thread might change their mind about local cachers' attitudes if he/she/they were to attend. It would seem somewhat appropriate to me.

paul are you not bored talking to yourself
:laughing::rolleyes:;)
I'm still not getting this 'joke'. I've lots of GC accounts 'for emergencies' but children_in_need isn't one of them. I rather resent the insinuation that I'd bother with a sock puppet to make a point, if I didn't need to. As it happens, I'm not even planning to do anything for CiN this year. With my costs up 30% on last year, any my income not matching this rise, charity is beginning at home at the moment ;)

It seems some people have got the impression I'm not me but somebody else. I can assure you that I'm real. I found geocaching a little while ago and found this forum. I thought it was going to be a good place to hang out and have a little banter with like minded people.

I also thought it would be interested to know what, if anything, geocachers were planning to do to support something very dear to my heart (hence my username).

I was interested to see news of the event mentioned above but it would seem that no mention must be made of certain things here. I find that sad, especially as our country's national TV and radio service is devoting so much time and the whole country (outside geocaching of course) is joining in something special.

So thank you for your posts here and private messages of support sent by some. I am sorry some of you have been accused of being me. But it seems this is not the place I thought it was. Don't worry, I'll not bother you all again. You do your own thing and I'll join the rest of the country in doing mine.

Goodbye.

paul are you not bored talking to yourself
:):):rolleyes:
I'm still not getting this 'joke'. I've lots of GC accounts 'for emergencies' but children_in_need isn't one of them. I rather resent the insinuation that I'd bother with a sock puppet to make a point, if I didn't need to. As it happens, I'm not even planning to do anything for CiN this year. With my costs up 30% on last year, any my income not matching this rise, charity is beginning at home at the moment :rolleyes:

Just wondered why you would need lots of other accounts ? What "emergencies" might arise ? And wheteher it is of any benefit for other cachers to set up extra accounts ? :rolleyes: