MISSION/COINTEST

WRITE SHOP ROBERT

OK, it will be a little(long?) while before the Participants and Winners for this thread are chosen(depending on the Coin production), but I want to give plenty of opportunity to get in on this. There will be 8 people chosen to participate in the MISSION, and 5 other winners in the COINTEST. The Coins at stake are a Bike Safety Awareness coin, that is yet to be officially announced.

You cannot enter the COINTEST, if you are not willing to participate in the MISSION. There will be other ways to get these coins, so do not worry.

The MISSION:

You must be willing to do all of the following to be chosen to participate in this MISSION,

Recieve 6 Coins in the mail.(unactivated)

Activate 5 of the Coins.(According to "Todie's Wild Ride" Guidelines)

Prepare them for travel as you see fit.

Adopt each of those 5 Coins to a player specified by WRITE SHOP ROBERT or Rockin' Roddy as Cointest Prizes.

Release the Coins for travel after addoption.

The 6th Coin is your gift for participation, to keep or whatever you decide

Participant Selection

I will select 8 people to participate in the release of these Coins. 6 will be chosen according to the region where they live, and two more at random from those willing. The six regions are:

Northwest US

Southwest US

Northeast US

Southeast US

Canada

Outside North America

One player will be chosen from each of those regions, and two more at random, from the remaining candidates

The COINTEST:

Those who are willing (but are not chosen) will be entered into a random drawing for five Coins to be given as prizes to keep or whetever you decide(one each to 5 people)

To ENTER:

Post your entry here, including your region, and Photos/Description of how you prepare coins to travel(no drilling needed on these)

This MISSION/COINTEST will probably need some revision, but I wanted to get it rolling. The Participants/Winners will be chosen after I have the final coin order in hand. Right now they are in the Sample Phase.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Mission here. I would love to represent the Northwest - There are plenty of cachers around in these here parts of the United States. But then, If someone else were the winner, I wouldn't mind not being chosen to receive then adopt, as long as I may be on the other end :ph34r:

We'll see and time will tell. :)

Hi, I could release Coins in the North of Germany :-)

I usually send my coins in the wild in their plastic flips, with a laminated piece of paper which shows the mission in german on one side and in english on the other side. If the coin has got a hole, I'll attach the laminated mission label to it, too (I'm actually doing some experiments with metal eyelets in the mission label, but it seems I am too clumsy to attach those eyelets... )

I hope all the coins will have a long and safe wild ride!

Sure! Sign me up for Canada!

I now drill all my coins and attach a laminated tag with aircraft cable. But since these coins are not to be drilled, I would still laminate a tag and attach it to the coin's flip with bead chain (the stuff that comes with travel bug tags)

We have no photos of prior send-outs to share, we're currently working on sending out 5 we've bought and are moving several other trackables along. We're still very new. In the event that you don't receive any other entries for the Southeast (Louisiana), we would be honored to participate. One stipulation though, if chosen, we would require a little input on the best way to prepare the coin for travel. :)

I now drill all my coins and attach a laminated tag with aircraft cable. But since these coins are not to be drilled, I would still laminate a tag and attach it to the coin's flip with bead chain (the stuff that comes with travel bug tags)

This is just a guess (or is it :) ), but I'm thinking these coins might already have a hole for attaching a cable or whatever??

My favorite way to release a coin for travel is to NOT drill a hole in a beautiful coin (I know others will disagree, this is MHO), but to put the coin (in it's flip case) in a ZIPLOCK baggie with a laminated mission card that's almost as big across and half way as tall as the baggie. Adding instructions on how to move a traveler or just stating it IS a traveler to the back of the mission statement is also good, adding the coin's page (laminated of course) is also great! Adding the tracking number right onto the mission card or on a big laminated sheet also lets cachers see the numbers without having to remove the coin (even though some will or do to see the coin), this is helpful to the cacher and might protect the coin since some won't even bother to remove it, which might save it from being lost or mistaken as a non-trackable! This is my opinion and is not how anyone has to do it! Just sharing how I think it works best!

Putting a hole in the flip and attaching the tags is also a good thing...

THNAKS for the cointest WSR, MUCH appreciated, my friend!!! Good luck all!!

eta: This is NOT an entry into the cointest lol

Edited by Rockin Roddy

OK I HAVE A QUESTION,,

DO I NEED TO BUY 6 COINS TO SEND OUT AS PART OF THE MISSION??

AFTER READING ALL THE POSTS,,I GATHER FROM ROD,, THESE COINS ARE ONE YOU WILL SEND OUT,AND MAY HAVE A HOLE INCLUDED TO ATTACH A CARD OR WHAT HAVE YOU,,

IF THIS IS THE CASE SIGN ME UP IM SURE I CAN COME UP WITH A CREATIVE WAY TO GET THESE READY FOR TRAVEL. IM ACTUALL MID WEST,,SO ID HAVE TO BE CONSIDERED SOUTHWEST REGION :)

HAS ANYONE TRYED TO LAMINATE THE COIN ITSELF LIKE YOU WOULD THE CARD OR TO SEAL IT IN ITS FLAP WITH SUPERGLUE SO IT CANNOT BE TOOKEN OUT??

I HAVE NOT SENT OUT ANY COINS YET FOR TRAVEL,ONLY RODS I WON FOR TOD,, AND I HOOKED UP THE PAGES WITH HTML GRAFFIX TO MAKE THEM REALLY COOL. HE SENT THEM TO GEO PIGS AND MAX B FOR PREPS FOR TRAVEL..

UNTILL I HAVE A CHANCE TO SEND SOME COINS OUT WHO KNOWS WHAT IM CAPABLE OF!!??! :)

Edited by DJ.J.ROCK

Northeast US (Michigan)

The coins that I have sent out I have drilled a hole (if it doesn't already have one) and added a traveler tag that says something to the effect that I am a traveler don't keep me. To add the tag, I use airline cable that isn't easily cut. I put that in a baggie along with a copy of the mission statement.

9427ec54-074b-4291-a8a4-fcd210bd603d.jpg

OK I HAVE A QUESTION,,

As I'm reading it, you will agree to send out 5 and get to keep one...no buying involved! Write Shop Robert will pick who will participate, you will get the coins and then will be required to mail them to others!

Am I right here Robert???

Hey, did you give my ideas any thought DJJ??? Let me know if you have any ideas or questions!!

Rod

OK I HAVE A QUESTION,,

As I'm reading it, you will agree to send out 5 and get to keep one...no buying involved! Write Shop Robert will pick who will participate, you will get the coins and then will be required to mail them to others!

Hey, did you give my ideas any thought DJJ??? Let me know if you have any ideas or questions!!

Rod

Yes I am in!! pick me!! pick me !!! ,,haha

and yes I have thought about your ideas,,just not sure where to go with them yet. the ideas are cool but putting it togeather is a whole other story, Im trying to figure how i can make this work better,as far as a presentation,,goes.. Just not quite sure yet,,,like you said all we have is time.

my orginal radio idea can be done by anyone not just me, that station is well knowen here. Im just tring to think bigger!! :) ill let you know if i can come up with something.

Germany calling here :)

I normally release all my coin into the wild without any protection, I think coins need to show the scars of their adventures.

In order to prevent theft, I scratch them with my caching name in a place that does not harm the overall design. In this case it would be the names of the cachers they will be adopted over to.

Additionally I try to give good missiondetails on the coinpage on geocaching.com and keep track of the countries visited.

An example of my coins would be this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1511544

I also wanted to say,, I have noticed bikes ALOT more lately. My awareness towards them has trippled.

But on the down side of this I have noticed alot of bikers are agressave riders,,riding very close the the car in front of them or yesterday there was one at the back of a pack of cars,,he speed up and weeved in and out of the cars till he was in front almost clipping his bike between the cars,,I tryed to yell at him to think,,but his pipes were so loud he couldent hear me,,,at least he was wearing a helmet.

mabie its just where i live. but geeeez no wonder we have theese coins,, crazy riders,, crazy drivers,,and everyones in a hurry to get nowhere!!

PLEASE ""THINK"" WHEN YOU DRIVE OR RIDE,, BE SAFE,, AND FOR GOD SAKE SLOW DOWN!!!!!

:)

I would love to help. I sent my first one out right after I started geocaching and only included a mission sheet folded inside the plastic sleeve. The coin is still traveling.

I've now have some travel buddies to attach to the next coin I release along with a laminated mission statement.

I live in Illinois next to the Mississippi River so I'm right in the middle of all 4 regions of the united States. I guess I belong to the Northeast region.

SOUND LIKE A FUN MISSION/COINTEST.

The Coins are based on Chris Rake's "Nomad" series, and already have a hole in them.

We have no photos of prior send-outs to share, we're currently working on sending out 5 we've bought and are moving several other trackables along. We're still very new. In the event that you don't receive any other entries for the Southeast (Louisiana), we would be honored to participate. One stipulation though, if chosen, we would require a little input on the best way to prepare the coin for travel. :)

I see some good ideas in the photos Here, with more to come I'm sure.

I'd like to sign up for Canada (Montreal area) please. When I prepare coins to travel I attach a plastified card with the mission on it with plastic tire wraps. The plastiied card keeps the mission water proof and using the tire wrap makes sure it will stay with the coin.

This is very generous of you to do!! :):)

OK I HAVE A QUESTION,,

Rod

This is correct. You do not ned to buy any Coins for this. I am having a new Coin made, and this will be a way to release some of them. The only cost to you in this Mission will be the cost of the travel preparations.

Participant selection will be based on location, and travel preparation. If I have more than one candidate in an area that I like, then I will draw among them. I'm not going to specify how the coins should be pepared to travel(that's up to you), but I will consider the methods in my decision. Most of what I've seen is good so far.

Edit to add...Oops, this is not entirely correct. You will be dropping the Coins into Caches after addoption, not mailing them to the owners.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

OK I HAVE A QUESTION,,

AFTER READING ALL THE POSTS,,I GATHER FROM ROD,, THESE COINS ARE ONE YOU WILL SEND OUT,AND MAY HAVE A HOLE INCLUDED TO ATTACH A CARD OR WHAT HAVE YOU,,

IF THIS IS THE CASE SIGN ME UP IM SURE I CAN COME UP WITH A CREATIVE WAY TO GET THESE READY FOR TRAVEL. IM ACTUALL MID WEST,,SO ID HAVE TO BE CONSIDERED SOUTHWEST REGION :)

HAS ANYONE TRYED TO LAMINATE THE COIN ITSELF LIKE YOU WOULD THE CARD OR TO SEAL IT IN ITS FLAP WITH SUPERGLUE SO IT CANNOT BE TOOKEN OUT??

I HAVE NOT SENT OUT ANY COINS YET FOR TRAVEL,ONLY RODS I WON FOR TOD,, AND I HOOKED UP THE PAGES WITH HTML GRAFFIX TO MAKE THEM REALLY COOL. HE SENT THEM TO GEO PIGS AND MAX B FOR PREPS FOR TRAVEL..

UNTILL I HAVE A CHANCE TO SEND SOME COINS OUT WHO KNOWS WHAT IM CAPABLE OF!!??! :)

HaHa, I think you might have a bit of trouble explaining to anyone in Iowa that you are in the Midwest!!???Southwest it is!!

This is just a guess (or is it :) ), but I'm thinking these coins might already have a hole for attaching a cable or whatever??

My favorite way to release a coin for travel is to NOT drill a hole in a beautiful coin (I know others will disagree, this is MHO), but to put the coin (in it's flip case) in a ZIPLOCK baggie with a laminated mission card that's almost as big across and half way as tall as the baggie. Adding instructions on how to move a traveler or just stating it IS a traveler to the back of the mission statement is also good, adding the coin's page (laminated of course) is also great! Adding the tracking number right onto the mission card or on a big laminated sheet also lets cachers see the numbers without having to remove the coin (even though some will or do to see the coin), this is helpful to the cacher and might protect the coin since some won't even bother to remove it, which might save it from being lost or mistaken as a non-trackable! This is my opinion and is not how anyone has to do it! Just sharing how I think it works best!

Putting a hole in the flip and attaching the tags is also a good thing...

THNAKS for the cointest WSR, MUCH appreciated, my friend!!! Good luck all!!

eta: This is NOT an entry into the cointest lol

Of course not, There will already be a few on the way to YOU!! (not 50)

This MISSION is a way to get these Coins released over a wider area to carry the Todie's Wild Ride message without placing all the burden on Roddy to handle all the addoptions. He and I will still handle the games that determine the final owners, but the Mission Participants will take on the burden of addoptions and release. (for the modest pay of One Keeper Coin)

Willing to take on the mission. Not sure what you use to divide the US but if it is the Mississippi River, lying east of it may put Wisconsin in the Northeast US, otherwise in the Northwest (always thought it was the Midwest).

though I have mostly send out my own coins in their plastic flips with a mission sheet in a ziplock or other type of baggie to keep it watertight, I have the intent to treat these better than that. Learning alot from reading the other posts and if these have a hole for tagging, I would most likely add a plastic photo type keychain fob with the mission statement printed and place in a waterproof baggie to protect it from water and scratches. I have always been taught to treat other's possessions better than you do your own and as this would be a caretakers role for 5 of the 6, they would be treated as priceless. As these coins will have a very special message to deliver, their preparation and placement will also need to be done in such a way as to maximize their exposure to cachers. No 3 mile hikes in 5/5 placements that get 1 or 2 visitors in a 6 month period. But also in a cache that is fairly secure from muggles and the forces of nature.

This continues to be a valuable venture and well deserving of quality preparation.

May all the coins released reach out and get the message across.

HaHa, I think you might have a bit of trouble explaining to anyone in Iowa that you are in the Midwest!!???Southwest it is!!

haha mabie,but After reading your post I asked 3 peps here ,,2 say midwest and 1 say southwest,who knows , lol :) Were just Colorado-ians,,I think the weather messes with us so much we forget where we are,,,hahaaaa :)

:lol: no matter where I am, sign me up and put me where you want :lol:

I could come up with a CREATIVE way TO SEND these out,,today I thought about attaching with something like a braded friendship bracelet from the tag to the coin,,you could weave a thin wire thru to just for extra strength.

The better presentation of the coin the bigger impact it will have on the finder of the coin..my opinion

haha mabie,but After reading your post I asked 3 peps here ,,2 say midwest and 1 say southwest,who knows , lol :) Were just Colorado-ians,,I think the weather messes with us so much we forget where we are,,,hahaaaa :)

:lol: no matter where I am, sign me up and put me where you want :lol:

I could come up with a CREATIVE way TO SEND these out,,today I thought about attaching with something like a braded friendship bracelet from the tag to the coin,,you could weave a thin wire thru to just for extra strength.

The better presentation of the coin the bigger impact it will have on the finder of the coin..my opinion

I have just some wire that would be perfect for that. It's from the fly fishing section at the sports megastore. "Nylon coated steel leader wire"

Well, my Kiwi TBs are racing each other around the world... some of you have come across them.

I always attach a mission card to all TBs and geocoin. Laminate where possible. But NEVER deface a coin. Some of the kiwis (there's a big family of them out there) do have a hole drill in them to allow the TB tag to be attached (unfortunately that is a necessary evil)

06d919a1-cba9-4124-8f63-b62e1e22ad10.jpg

Here's one of the kiwis (Last cache of the day Kiwi) on a glass floor high above the city of Auckland - tag attached.

813c09be-f510-4c46-9754-2851f63c08b1.jpg

And then there are the wonderful coins, which simply have their mission in the other side of a flip plastic sleeve. Tracking # is included, as some coins #s are so hard to see.

72714e12-5df4-46da-b5ad-00372992df6d.jpg

This Butterfly would be happy to release some coins down here, and perhaps even send some onto the land of Oz.

Well, my Kiwi TBs are racing each other around the world... some of you have come across them.

I always attach a mission card to all TBs and geocoin. Laminate where possible. But NEVER deface a coin. Some of the kiwis (there's a big family of them out there) do have a hole drill in them to allow the TB tag to be attached (unfortunately that is a necessary evil)

06d919a1-cba9-4124-8f63-b62e1e22ad10.jpg

Here's one of the kiwis (Last cache of the day Kiwi) on a glass floor high above the city of Auckland - tag attached.

813c09be-f510-4c46-9754-2851f63c08b1.jpg

And then there are the wonderful coins, which simply have their mission in the other side of a flip plastic sleeve. Tracking # is included, as some coins #s are so hard to see.

72714e12-5df4-46da-b5ad-00372992df6d.jpg

This Butterfly would be happy to release some coins down here, and perhaps even send some onto the land of Oz.

If you don't get chosen in the end, I might really want to trade you for a couple of those cool Kiwis! They look like they're the solid rubber/plastic kind?

Count me in for this mission! I guess living in Southern California puts me in the Southwest region.

As for how I prep coins for release, I usually start with a custom printed card in the coin flip with the coin name, tracking number and track@geocaching.com on the front side. Inside is the owners name and mission. The back states the following: This coin is a traveler, it is meant to move not to be kept. If you cannot move this coin along, please don’t take it (in big bold red letters).

For TB's I use the small plastic coated keyrings that are used for attaching rental car keys to the rental car key tags (if you have ever tried to seperate the keys from the tag you know how hard it can be). Once you snap them together and crimp it you have to cut it to get it off. To this I attach a laminated copy of the TB info sheet. I then usually put both the card and the TB into a ziploc freezer bag.

I would love to assist if you would like to send some coins to Australia, which obviously fits the category of outside of North America.

In this instance as the coin will already have a hole in it to attach something, I would prepare a laminated card to attach to the coin indicating the coin name, tracking number and that the coin is trackable at geocaching.com. The card would also state the owners name and coin mission so that anyone picking up the coin knows whether they will be able to assist the coin with its mission. The card would further indicate that the coin is a traveler, it is meant to move not to be kept and that if it cannot be moved along, please don’t take it.

Where the coins do not already have a hole to attach the coin details, the laminated card and coin would be placed in a zip lock bag.

I'm not sure if I will need to include a bike awareness message but if I did, what would come to mind is: Look left, Look right, Look Bike (for Australia that is because we drive on the other side of the road to the US!)

Hi there

I'll be more than willing to participate. I am based in the Middle EAST - in Abuu Dhabi. I travel regularly for business into the whole of Africa, and would be happy to drop the coins not just here in the middle east - but across Africa and to cachers moving wolrdwide from the Abu Dhabi hub.

As far as releasing coins and preparing them - I like to get them moving as quick as possible. ALL my coins have been activated, and apart from a few special ones - they are all travelling the world. I have also released many coins for UK & US based cachers into Africa previously.

I'd love to participate, and represent the Northeast (I live in soth-central PA, work in western MD, and have family in WV and Philly). As some other posters have said, I don't have any pics to show, as I am still relatively new. I have never released a new coin, but I have helped move some along (only a few).

AND...I am a hockey fan!!

Hi There

I live in Qatar in the Middle East. I am an avid geocoin collector [check out my profile] and will be prepared to abide by the rules of the COINTEST.

When I distribute my coins and set them free on their travels I make a laminated card with the Mission, Coin Name, my name, etc all clearly stated on the card. The card accompanies the coin either attached if there is a hole on the coin as some do have, or in a sealed ziplock if the coin has no hole. I do not and never will deface a coin by drilling a hole. I also have clear instructions on the coins profile page as well.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Greetings from Doha, Qatar.

I'd love to participate, and represent the Northeast (I live in soth-central PA, work in western MD, and have family in WV and Philly). As some other posters have said, I don't have any pics to show, as I am still relatively new. I have never released a new coin, but I have helped move some along (only a few).

Yes, but are you a RED WINGS fan???? :blink::anibad:

Yes, but are you a RED WINGS fan???? :blink::anibad:

LOL! I am a fan of all GOOD hockey, so by default I give a lot of props to the Wings. I was definitely rooting for them against Cindy Crosby and the 'guins last year. However, my blood is orange. That's right...I am a Philadelphia fan. I always loved Stevie-Y, though. I loved his style and work ethic, and the fact that he spent his whole career in ONE place...such a rarity these days. I also liked Hasek's unorthodox style, and his passion. And Scotty Bowman is not of this world! :blink: