Premium Member Only caches are elitist!

smomofo

I'm of the opinion that making a cache a medium to hard puzzle will protect it more than PMOC status. Not SEEING the cache page isn't much protection. But most of the time making a PMOC makes a traditional into a puzzle anyway.

Still findable and still logable. It's just a single layer. Making it some work to do is the real answer.

Doug 7rxc

Sure, that would probably work, but at the expense of putting your caches out of range of even more legitimate cachers, even PM ones that don't care to solve puzzle caches. Sounds elitist to me. :lol:

I was mostly going to the point that security is not a cut and dry thing. Did you see the latest update list of fixes...

While I only used it a bit, they fixed the bug that allowed PMOC coords to be loaded to your GPS... Although I only used that once or twice after finding it. I think turning it into a triangulation exercise is/was more fun. Of course there are only 4 in the area.

In that case PMOC status didn't do anything. Now yesterday I FTF'd a cache on a mountain ridge near home

GC30N82 . That was an exercise in frustration. Good coordinates, nice container and placement, but the access route was murder. I'm working to improve that IF the CO wants to post them... As a SAR person I'm a bit concerned that someone with less skill might make a bad choice of route. Even the CO was unsure of the route up. That will probably be protected by yet another method, hard to reach location.

One does not have to be that hard to discourage though.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Well, since this was reported I have read through it.

The topic is Premium Member Only caches are elitist!. Please keep the focus on Premium Member Only caches and stop nit picking other people. If someone disagrees with a statement, focus the disagreement on the statement, not the person posting.

Continued interpersonal bickering will cause the topic to be closed.

Thank you.

The topic is Premium Member Only caches are elitist!. Please keep the focus on Premium Member Only caches and stop nit picking other people. If someone disagrees with a statement, focus the disagreement on the statement, not the person posting.

Thank you.

I'll second that.

Thank you.

Images such as this

elitist.jpg

Ok?

(It probably would not have hurt anything to go ahead and close this elitist menace of a thread.)

Thank you.

Images such as this

elitist.jpg

Ok?

(It probably would not have hurt anything to go ahead and close this elitist menace of a thread.)

I'm not that sensitive, especially since I have lost a whole lot of hair since someone grabbed that photo of me. :cry:

An occasional joke that is not over the top in bad taste is not a big issue but the persistent sniping takes others off the intended topic and defeats the purpose of having a Geocaching Topics forum.

On topic.

Sure, I made dumb jokes about L33t cahces, but I really did just make my new cache a PMO.

Why?

- Because I didnt on my others and I want to see if it is really any different

- Because I do want to let the more dedicated cachers have a chance at it.

- Because of the "audit log" function, where I can see who has looked at my cache page and how often. Now I am trying to guess who might make the first attempt at getting it.

I will not leave it as a PMO for long though. It depends on how long before it gets FTF'd.

I have been geocaching for about 8 months, but only became a Premium Member about 2 weeks ago. I shelled out a membership fee to only support the activity and keep the site running, not because of the extra features that would come with a Premium Membership.

After becoming a Premium Member I noticed a couple more caches in my area, then noticed that they weren't new, but for Premium Members only! I think these are a disgusting feature. I waited a week before I posted this, giving myself time to cool off and think about it more, but I still hate the fact that they exist on this site.

I have no problem with any of the other features offered to Premium Members that make geocaching easier/more convenient/more fun. But to find out that regular (unpaying) members are excluded from some Geocaches is terrible.

I have heard the argument that the site needs to make money, so they have to offer features that will attract people to paying to become a Premium Member. That may be true, but it is my feeling that this should be done other ways. They already offer many other features to Premium Members, so they should still have membership fees coming in, plus, there is advertising on the site. I'm sure the advertisers are paying well.

I also argue that unpaying members are not just "freeloaders". I have several regular member friends that have placed many caches. Placing a new cache is not free: between the cost of a container, logbook, pencil, and some trade items, one can easily spend $20 to put out a cache. This site/activity depends on people placing new caches continuously, so should not be excluding those people from finding them.

How upset would you be if you were a regular member that had just spent $20 putting a nice cache together, another $20 for gas to place it in a special spot that you would like others to see, but when you try to register it are told by a reviewer that your cache cannot be placed there because there is already one there? One that you are not allowed to participate in because you chose to spend your money placing a cache rather than forking it over to this site to join their "Premium Members" club.

Am I alone here?

no you are not alone, I agree 100%

I placed a small cache in a wooded area and was told it was too close to another that was already there (a premium only cache)

but on the map IT CAN"T BE SEEN by a non-premium member

so I had no idea there was one so close

so this is exactly what you are talking about...

no I gotta drive back over there and find a new place for it farther away, but how will I know this?????

I can't know if I place it most anywhere if it is too close to a POC or not, unless I check with a reviewer or

(and here is my solution)

they need to make them visible to all and just mask the coords or not allow a log entry without a password...but

you are right completley

Edited by Contra1971

I have been geocaching for about 8 months, but only became a Premium Member about 2 weeks ago. I shelled out a membership fee to only support the activity and keep the site running, not because of the extra features that would come with a Premium Membership.

After becoming a Premium Member I noticed a couple more caches in my area, then noticed that they weren't new, but for Premium Members only! I think these are a disgusting feature. I waited a week before I posted this, giving myself time to cool off and think about it more, but I still hate the fact that they exist on this site.

I have no problem with any of the other features offered to Premium Members that make geocaching easier/more convenient/more fun. But to find out that regular (unpaying) members are excluded from some Geocaches is terrible.

I have heard the argument that the site needs to make money, so they have to offer features that will attract people to paying to become a Premium Member. That may be true, but it is my feeling that this should be done other ways. They already offer many other features to Premium Members, so they should still have membership fees coming in, plus, there is advertising on the site. I'm sure the advertisers are paying well.

I also argue that unpaying members are not just "freeloaders". I have several regular member friends that have placed many caches. Placing a new cache is not free: between the cost of a container, logbook, pencil, and some trade items, one can easily spend $20 to put out a cache. This site/activity depends on people placing new caches continuously, so should not be excluding those people from finding them.

How upset would you be if you were a regular member that had just spent $20 putting a nice cache together, another $20 for gas to place it in a special spot that you would like others to see, but when you try to register it are told by a reviewer that your cache cannot be placed there because there is already one there? One that you are not allowed to participate in because you chose to spend your money placing a cache rather than forking it over to this site to join their "Premium Members" club.

Am I alone here?

no you are not alone, I agree 100%

I placed a small cache in a wooded area and was told it was too close to another that was already there (a premium only cache)

but on the map IT CAN"T BE SEEN by a non-premium member

so I had no idea there was one so close

so this is exactly what you are talking about...

no I gotta drive back over there and find a new place for it farther away, but how will I know this?????

I can't know if I place it most anywhere if it is too close to a POC or not, unless I check with a reviewer or

(and here is my solution)

they need to make them visible to all and just mask the coords or not allow a log entry without a password...but

you are right completley

Boy, talk about digging up old bones.

If your worried about saturation issues you would have read the knowledge book article on checking for cache saturation. You will note that this article is not limited to only premium members and does not "hide" the premium member caches from the check. Pay particular attention to step 2. As for mysteries and multis that even premium members can't see them, that is covered in step 3. I see no reason to whine about having saturation issues with a premium member cache you "can't" see.

Edited by jholly

I just agreed and pointed out that I run into a problem with this in my fairly new geocaching hobbie

so,

if you have nothing constructive to contribute, without insulting, then please go away and let the discussion continue

P.S. I was thinking about getting a Premium account, no matter if I agree with the POC deal

but I find that too many people here (yes even the women)

are just plain rude and insulting to others

I can't pay and be part of a cummunity that incorperates such people

Edited by Contra1971

P.S. I was thinking about getting a Premium account, no matter if I agree with the POC deal

you should never say to someone in writing what you are too afraid to say in person

would you talk to me like that if we meet in person, not unless you like to spend a month or 2 in the nearest ICU

so you should not say it here either

Rude and insulting people are all around...

you should never say to someone in writing what you are too afraid to say in person

would you talk to me like that if we meet in person, not unless you like to spend a month or 2 in the nearest ICU

Rude and insulting people are all around...

I see but it is OK Threaten Someone like Contra1971 did,

Edited by Scubasonic

I just agreed and pointed out that I run into a problem with this in my fairly new geocaching hobbie

so,

if you have nothing constructive to contribute, without insulting, then please go away and let the discussion continue

EVEN THE WOMEN??? No, I just can't believe that.

Can't be true.

Anyway, Miss Manners says that we try to be impeccable in our manners while looking the other way when others are rude. We all make mistakes. So I don't see a thing.

There are tons of caches out there for free.

how many TV stations does Cable TV give out for free?

It's all good.

I never went so low as to threaten you, you have crossed the line with your threats. That is vile behavior, either here or in person. As for if I would say it in person or not, the answer is yes. Why would I not say what I think?