Premium Member Only caches are elitist!

smomofo

I've got to ask... what is so terrible about being an "elitist", anyway? Are we that afraid of any sort of "ist" these days?

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism (-ltzm, -l-)

n.

1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.

b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

The whole point of a premium membership is extra features. I've yet to get mine but i am excited by the fact that there will maybe be a few more in my area. You wont find many premium memberships that dont offer extras thats the whole point. Sounds like your complaining for the sake of complaining, get over it

I have only placed five caches so far, but it is my preference to publish them initially as Premium Members Only, then after the Premium have a chance to get the FTF, I change them to remove the PMO classification. I think folks that pay to support the activity are entitled to some extra perks, and there aren't many I can give them other than a chance to be FTF before opening it to the world.

I've got to ask... what is so terrible about being an "elitist", anyway? Are we that afraid of any sort of "ist" these days?

n.

1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

Yeah? So?

n.

Yeah? So?

"The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment"

Sounds like it's not the PMO caches that are elitist, but the non-PMs that want access to them!

"Sure, you all pay for access to special caches, but I DON'T WANT TO PAY MONEY."

"The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment"

Right or wrong, that is a fact of life. I am generally not a member of that "certain class", but if I cough up $30/year, I can at least be a premium member of geocaching.com. I don't know of ANYBODY that can afford a computer and an ISP that cannot also manage to save uip $30/year in pocket change. Elitist? Go ahead, call me whatever you want. I have a gallon mayo jar half filled with pocket change for next year's membership, and so can anyone else.

n.

Yeah? So?

Exactly.

n.

Yeah? So?

Exactly.

:lol:

Right or wrong, that is a fact of life. I am generally not a member of that "certain class", but if I cough up $30/year, I can at least be a premium member of geocaching.com. I don't know of ANYBODY that can afford a computer and an ISP that cannot also manage to save uip $30/year in pocket change. Elitist? Go ahead, call me whatever you want. I have a gallon mayo jar half filled with pocket change for next year's membership, and so can anyone else.

That is the part I love. Can't afford 30 bucks but have a smart phone and pay a lot more then that for all the app's and such they have or a gps'r. Hey, I got an idea. Don't eat out for a few weeks. There, now you have 30 bucks. Problem solved.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to pay my elitist dues before the end of the month, or they are going to confiscate my secret PM hat.

I have a gallon mayo jar half filled with pocket change for next year's membership, and so can anyone else.
Half a gallon of change? I helped count and roll 5 gallons and it was over $1000. If there's a correlation, you can pay for mine and BlueDeuce's, too. Cough it up! broke.gif

What he didnt mention is that the other half is still filled with mayo.

Pocket change? What is this that you speak of?

That reminds me. I need to make a note on the calender to pay that ahead of time incase the server glitches again.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to pay my elitist dues before the end of the month, or they are going to confiscate my secret PM hat.

I have a gallon mayo jar half filled with pocket change for next year's membership, and so can anyone else.
Half a gallon of change? I helped count and roll 5 gallons and it was over $1000. If there's a correlation, you can pay for mine and BlueDeuce's, too. Cough it up! broke.gif

What he didnt mention is that the other half is still filled with mayo.

Bwahahhahaaaha!

That reminds me. I need to make a note on the calender to pay that ahead of time incase the server glitches again.

Its a guy thing. Go clean out your purse and you will understand.

I paid for a Mexican vacation once by caching in that jar.

The problem, as I see it, is not with premium only caches or premium memberships. It's with the elitist attitude that sometimes gets expressed.

I can't say I've ever noticed an elitist attitude I could attribute to a Premium membership. From those with more or different kind of experience? Sure.

It's all "Premium Envy" anyway. :-)

Edited by Ecylram

The problem, as I see it, is not with premium only caches or premium memberships. It's with the elitist attitude that sometimes gets expressed.

I can't say I've ever noticed an elitist attitude I could attribute to a Premium membership. From those with more or different kind of experience? Sure.

It's all "Premium Envy" anyway. :-)

For that matter, I've seen a few non-premium members act (in my opinion) as though they were superior to paying members because they didn't "sell out" to Groundspeak.

So let me get this straight:

Investing in a hobby you adore = Selling out!

Wishing you could afford it, but crying elitist because you can't save $3 a month = Keeping it real!

Makes sense. Excuse me while I go fuel up the gulf stream, I gotta go get the last APE cache and be back for my scene in the upcoming Angelina Jolie movie. (I hope that last part sounded crazy, it really helps me sell the first bit) :ph34r:

Edited by Flintstone5611

I can't say I've ever noticed an elitist attitude I could attribute to a Premium membership.

That's why I said I don't think it is premium caches or premium memberships. I think when the attitude creeps up it has more to do with the poster and not so much with what kind of account he has or cache he has hidden.

Its a guy thing. Go clean out your purse and you will understand.

I paid for a Mexican vacation once by caching in that jar.

Humm, see I don't ever carry cash so that might be the problem. Quarters that I get go for laundry, all other silver change goes for the parking ( you wouldn't beleive the parking costs in Durango - some places it is a whole penny per minute (I park in the 2 mins per penny area most of the time) all to avoid a 9$ parking ticket).

So let me get this straight:

Investing in a hobby you adore = Selling out!

But geocaching.com is not "the hobby". It's a listing website. Those two things may be closely related, but they're not identical. For other people they may not even be related at all.

I have only placed five caches so far, but it is my preference to publish them initially as Premium Members Only, then after the Premium have a chance to get the FTF, I change them to remove the PMO classification. I think folks that pay to support the activity are entitled to some extra perks, and there aren't many I can give them other than a chance to be FTF before opening it to the world.

DITTO

I am sure this has been said.. I make the new ones PMO to keep traffic down so it doesn't get muggled. Then I will turn it loose [unless it is in total muggle territory]. In my area, mostly the regulars are PM anyway.

I figure it will save me work as a CO.

Edited by alohabra
' timestamp='1308368088' post='4746707']

It's like bribing the bouncer at the bar when there's a line up, you have two choices, pay up or wait outside, now try complaining to that bouncer that the people that he let in are elitist and let me know how that works out.

Paying for special attention to get ahead of others that are being socially appropriate by waiting in line as expected would hardly be the same thing. That, I would consider being elitist in a bad way.

Be grateful that they still have a free membership, guys. Groundspaek has to make money or it goes under. i support them.

Purchase a premium membership because it offers features you want and use.

Groundspeak has plenty of revenue streams to keep afloat. They're not a charity that needs donations.

Using any type of money is elitist and perpetuating a hierarchy based on symbolic work units, which are highly inaccurate, so I'm assuming the OP meant that PMOs are more elitist than what's commonly accepted. Kind of like getting a car for free, and then throwing a tantrum when you find out that you have to pay for the extra options. I suppose this would be definitely elitist under Leninism and Marxism. :rolleyes:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
' timestamp='1308368088' post='4746707']

It's like bribing the bouncer at the bar when there's a line up, you have two choices, pay up or wait outside, now try complaining to that bouncer that the people that he let in are elitist and let me know how that works out.

Paying for special attention to get ahead of others that are being socially appropriate by waiting in line as expected would hardly be the same thing. That, I would consider being elitist in a bad way.

Hey, we agree again. :)

I think premium membership is more like paying extra for a scooter at Disney World to make it easier to get around. It just gets you a few extra perks to make life easier, but anyone can find caches.

I also argue that unpaying members are not just "freeloaders". I have several regular member friends that have placed many caches. Placing a new cache is not free: between the cost of a container, logbook, pencil, and some trade items, one can easily spend $20 to put out a cache. This site/activity depends on people placing new caches continuously, so should not be excluding those people from finding them.

How upset would you be if you were a regular member that had just spent $20 putting a nice cache together, another $20 for gas to place it in a special spot that you would like others to see, but when you try to register it are told by a reviewer that your cache cannot be placed there because there is already one there? One that you are not allowed to participate in because you chose to spend your money placing a cache rather than forking it over to this site to join their "Premium Members" club.

Am I alone here?

Where I live we're finding that caches made up with ammo-boxes have come up missing right after the weekly Groundspeak newsletter comes out. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that someone with non-premium membership is watching the publications so they can go out and steal the containers then sell them back on craigslist or eBay. Whenever I put one out I always make it a premium member only cache to see who has been looking at it. After it has been out for a month or so, I almost always open it up to the general population. Since I've started doing that my caches have not been plundered once.

I'd say that it you or your friends get burned once because the have spent around $40 putting a cache together that you'd think about spending the $30 for a premium membership so that it never happens again. Besides. I'm a premium member and I can't tell you how many times I've hidden a cache only to be told that it is too close the the final leg of a multi, or too close to a mystery/puzzle cache. So what did I do? well I just sucked it up and went out and put it someplace else. I've also found that if I send an email to the reviewer before I plant it, asking if it's a good location, I'll always get a reply. So maybe you ought to consider doing that if you are worried about getting told your spot has been taken.

Why was this thread Bumped?!?! I wanted it to fade into the mist forever! :unsure:

Just what an elitist snob would say. <_<

BTW, I know you're a guy. hehehe

I was a basic member before this was bumped... I became premium after it was bumped. If you can't beat em, join em.

Oh. Well, you got me... Again.

Why is it always assumed that a non-premium member is stealing caches?? It could be anybody or anybody using a PM's login.

The more it costs to be a petty annoyance the less likely it is to happen. Sure, there are some who would pay the $ just to wreck someones fun, but it will narrow the field of miscreants.

Why is it always assumed that a non-premium member is stealing caches?? It could be anybody or anybody using a PM's login.

The more it costs to be a petty annoyance the less likely it is to happen. Sure, there are some who would pay the $ just to wreck someones fun, but it will narrow the field of miscreants.

That makes sense, but if I was in the business of stealing ammo cans and selling them, I'd make the $30 investment to open the possibilities of increasing my inventory.

Off topic, but check out my ammo can ebay store, later. :ph34r:

The world's most notorious cache pirate, some nut-job from Utica/Rome NY, who stole hundreds of caches over a 5 year period, paid for a premium membership. (he was eventually caught red-handed and had to go to court and have the charges dropped if he ceased stealing caches) I forgot his name though. Probably on purpose.

The world's most notorious cache pirate, some nut-job from Utica/Rome NY, who stole hundreds of caches over a 5 year period, paid for a premium membership. (he was eventually caught red-handed and had to go to court and have the charges dropped if he ceased stealing caches) I forgot his name though. Probably on purpose.

Repak. Paul, if I remember correctly. He had a PM? Did he ever post in OT? If not... what a shame!

99 geocaches in Rome...

99 caches in Rome...

I'd like to make a couple of comments (dating back a ways in this thread, but I'm not going to hunt the post's for quotes):

1. All cache listings here have an audit log, only PMO's is the log available to the CO.

2. I've used the audit log to ID a cache thief. So there is a use for it beyond "It's cool to look at".

I'd like to make a couple of comments (dating back a ways in this thread, but I'm not going to hunt the post's for quotes):

1. All cache listings here have an audit log, only PMO's is the log available to the CO.

2. I've used the audit log to ID a cache thief. So there is a use for it beyond "It's cool to look at".

have had a number of caches taken myself of late, but I would imagine most "thieves" would be smart like to make a pocket query long before they take the cache so they are not suspected. I would hate to targeted as a thief just because I was the last person to look at a PMO cache myself. Also, they could use sock puppet accounts to hide their identity.

if you honestly snared and "identified" the culprit for a stolen cache, I imagine that is good, but I cant imagine it working in most cases.

This needs to be copied and pasted on every page of an PMOC=elitist thread.

There are multiple legitimate methods to acquire the coords for a PMOC without paying for a membership.

There is a way to log a PMOC legitimately without paying for a membership.

Just because it is easier for a PM to get the coords and log a PMOC once found does not mean that the PM or the PMOC is elitist.But hey if you want to keep thinking I am superior to you then thanks for the compliment! B)