Coin Ideas

Boom!pa

Just thought I would start a topic that I'm sure we could all participate on!

I'm looking for ideas on what kinda coin YOU would like to see. As I have seen many different coins out there, what type of coin haven't you seen that you would like to see!? Also, what are your favorite attributes of coins out there (ie. suncatcher style, shaped coins etc) - what would you like to see on a coin!

I really like the Marine Theme coins that are shaped (fish, crustaceans, etc).

I'd also be interested in Shaped (or not...most would be really hard to do) of Canadian Provinces and Territories - the few that are out there are hard to come by. I have the Caching thru the zones, but it's not the same as having one for your home province!

just my 2 cents :)

Edited by Erica-opoly

:ph34r:

Ilike coins that are unique, strange or have great messages etc!

I would love to see something unique that have in my mind, but except that I do not have the money to make this coin...I really do not know if it can be made!!!!

I have seen geocoins for time ect!

I have also seen real coins, commemorative ones that are strange, or have strange and unique things on it!

so... according to all that, I would love to see a coin with a design of a sandglass clock disign, BUT(!!!), to have a small capsule or something where the glass is in this clock, full of white sand that can go from one area of the closk to the other, just like in real ones! So, it will look like it is actually counting time! Of course, to make something like that is.... :)

Now... an other idea!!! I have seen that a geocacher made or is planning to make trackable bracelets! I like this idea, but I have an other one! How about....a trackable watch?? A cheap one with batteries! I am talking about a watch for a hand! On the inside disk of the watch, you can put your avantar or your photo, or even the geocaching symbol! Ok, this is not a cheap trackable item , but... it is just an idea!! :ph34r:

Just edited this to say that we can go in trackable aluminium rings too! :ph34r:

When I will have more crazy ideas, I will post again!

Edited by GATOULIS

Ok, here is my idea. I really want to make a coin. I got the front designed out, pretty simple...my sword & shield design. That is also the shape of the coin. My problem is, I cant think of anything for the back. I want something that says ME. At first I was going to put all of my favorite things. 3 sections . Top:Cars - half my truck on the left side and half a 70 Hemi cuda on the right with a tool box and a welder in the middle of them. Middle: Camping & outdoors - A camper, a little fire, my ATV and my new street bike I am getting. Bottom: Geocaching - an ammo can & a micro and my GPS. As for the handle and the other end of the sword...At the top something that would fit in the little space along with the tracking code thought about a dragon (since I love em). The pointy end, the keystone symbol and DuBois. Only problem is that when I did a rough go of it, it did not look so great. For the size I want to do for the coin, alot of it would turn out not looking like I wanted it to. So now I am back to the drawing board again. I am still going with my sword & shield as the shape and the same design for the front. Just the back needs work.

That is my idea.

I too would like to see some more shaped coins. Think they are neater and show a little more thought into the coin. Basic round is good but they dont catch my eye as much

Ok, here is my idea. I really want to make a coin. I got the front designed out, pretty simple...my sword & shield design. That is also the shape of the coin. My problem is, I cant think of anything for the back. I want something that says ME. At first I was going to put all of my favorite things. 3 sections . Top:Cars - half my truck on the left side and half a 70 Hemi cuda on the right with a tool box and a welder in the middle of them. Middle: Camping & outdoors - A camper, a little fire, my ATV and my new street bike I am getting. Bottom: Geocaching - an ammo can & a micro and my GPS. As for the handle and the other end of the sword...At the top something that would fit in the little space along with the tracking code thought about a dragon (since I love em). The pointy end, the keystone symbol and DuBois. Only problem is that when I did a rough go of it, it did not look so great. For the size I want to do for the coin, alot of it would turn out not looking like I wanted it to. So now I am back to the drawing board again. I am still going with my sword & shield as the shape and the same design for the front. Just the back needs work.

That is my idea.

I too would like to see some more shaped coins. Think they are neater and show a little more thought into the coin. Basic round is good but they dont catch my eye as much

I had a great idea I thought of, but it would require a large vendor to do as I have neither the resourses or knowledge to do.

It's rather simple actually. make 4- 2" SHAPED coins... a red heart, red diamond, black spade, and black club... sound familiar? you guessed it, the 4 suites on a deck of cards... now the fun part.... customize the coins to have A-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-J-Q-K on them and release them at different times(52 weeks a year,52 cards in a deck....COINcidence?

it would take a year to get a complete set for the true 'gotta have' collectors and I can see many 'cointests' run for best 5 card hands accumulated over time(provided they are released at random)

That's just scratching the surface I think and can even have a joker version made and promote trades for many to try and get a gold version or even a silver or nickle completed deck...

I don't see a novice coiner getting in on this, but many die-hards might...

I even thought about trying to get the coin community in on it and see about doing it as a large group project and having the back personalized...

...just a coin idea I had :):ph34r:

I had a great idea I thought of, but it would require a large vendor to do as I have neither the resourses or knowledge to do.

It's rather simple actually. make 4- 2" SHAPED coins... a red heart, red diamond, black spade, and black club... sound familiar? you guessed it, the 4 suites on a deck of cards... now the fun part.... customize the coins to have A-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-J-Q-K on them and release them at different times(52 weeks a year,52 cards in a deck....COINcidence?

it would take a year to get a complete set for the true 'gotta have' collectors and I can see many 'cointests' run for best 5 card hands accumulated over time(provided they are released at random)

That's just scratching the surface I think and can even have a joker version made and promote trades for many to try and get a gold version or even a silver or nickle completed deck...

I even thought about trying to get the coin community in on it and see about doing it as a large group project and having the back personalized...

...just a coin idea I had :):ph34r:

That is one awesome idea!!! Being a poker player myself I would definately want a complete set of those coins! Let's just hope that someone with the backing and the patience is reading through here and runs with this idea...

It is always hard to constrain the idea of what constitutes orginial, sometimes an ingeneous twist to a design will make it so. Creativity can be simple or complicated and comes in alot more forms than art. I have submitted a few designs that while are not necessarily artistic, if they are made they will be something that has not been done before. The people that make the coins have to send it to the mint to see if it can be made, which is not really accurate, what they really want to know if it can be made cheap enough to sell. It is difficult to match creativity with producability knowing the consumer is both selective and sensitive in purchasing. Coins could be made really creative but how much are you willing to spend. I work in a Fab shop and could get a TB# and craft a three foot circuler coin out of 1/4 stainless diamond plate and weld on the extras and idea I had for the coinfest in pittsburgh. I work with a guy here that handcrafts items out of stone and stainless a stunning combination but it takes him a great deal of time.

Shaped coins while unique I believe need to be laser cut and then pressed, while the round blanks could be cast in considerable quantity and sold in bulk reducing the cost. I have seen precision castings that could produce reale 3D shapes but the molds for such things here in america are quite expensive.

With all that said cretivity is meeting the dollar in coin production and limitations are expected.

...just a coin idea I had :):)

That is one awesome idea!!! Being a poker player myself I would definately want a complete set of those coins! Let's just hope that someone with the backing and the patience is reading through here and runs with this idea...

I've often wondered why some companies haven't run with the idea of tropical fish shaped coins. There is a very wide and large market for the possibilites of the coins that can be created using this theme ( random image )

...but then again, I still like the idea of an illusion coin too. illusion

There are many ideas out there and as the years go by I will be interested to see how the 'taste' for coins will change among those that actually have them made to sell to the masses.

I would think that both the 52 card and tropical fish ideas would be big projects for any of the mints to do, as it seems like they never catch up on producing them as quick as everyone thinks of a cool idea for a coin....

Tropical fish - A few have been done and I woudl have to ask Dorkfish why she has stopped producing them.

Poker - There was a set of poker chip coins made. 10's had the most of each to A's had the least. Makeing it difficult to put the entire set together. Cards have also been done. The cost of each die for hte cutout and then to make at least 13 additional dies for card values makes this a very expensive set and project.

Illusion - is the first one that seems to be do able. not sure why anyone hasn't done this.

You could make one pretty much just about anything, and you'll find a group of people who are interested in whatever subject you chose. These forums are only a small percentage of the geocoiners out there. And frankly, I think by asking here you are risking duplicates on the market, because other coinmakers are reading this too. And you might not find a lot of coiners giving up their unique ideas for someone else to use. It's not that easy to come out with original ideas, that haven't been done already, with the number of coins out there. Why not read all the forums in here and see what geocachers are interested in?