Single person, 24 hour cache run

Clarkbowman

Who out there has the best record for caches in a 24 hour time frame?

I’m asking for the single person record. Not the team record.

I know the numbers gang won’t like this thread, but o well.

I know I have signed for each smiley I have gotten, so I know my numbers are all good.

I have loved the places geocaching has carried me and the kids and would not trade the time we have spent in the woods or in the city hunting a cache. Some are great caches and some are lame in my book. But we still have a blast. My numbers are all about what I can do as a personal challenge or what we the Clarkbowman clan can do.

This being said I am thinking about going for a Single person/ 24 hour run, and was wondering how many others have done. Yes I know there is no official records kept and most could care less. But I am going to do it any ways.

Besides, I figure one day I can say that I did this so please elect me president of the US. Do you think it will get me elected ?

I am going to use the following set of rules for myself:

1. I will drive myself to all locations. No help from any one.

2. Once the run begins, Start to finish, the record run is performed in 24 running hours – no time-outs!

3. The logbook will be signed and dated, no stamps or stickers.

4. All caches will be caches that I have never visited, logged or searched for before the run.

5. No test runs.

6. One or two people will ride with me to film the run and so I can have some one to chat with. BUT no help will be given from them in the search.

edited by me to clairify #4. It used to read : 4. All caches will be new caches, never logged or searched for before the run.

Edited by Clarkbowman

My best score done totally solo is 72 finds. Around hour 15, I got tired and it wasn't fun anymore, so I stopped. I think the biggest impediment to a 24 hour solo run is driving fatigue and safety.

My goal had been to find 100 caches with none of the caches being in urban areas, and with no advance planning apart from the general route selection. Since I found 72 caches stretching across four rural counties, I still had a great day. I think if I tried for this goal again, I would select a more cache-dense route in an urban area. Many of my finds that day were miles apart.

The secondary challenge is navigation and planning. With a team of two or more, one person can always be driving towards the next cache, while someone else takes care of record keeping, reading the next cache page, and selecting the correct route. Alone in the car, it takes time to record find #38 and plan out find #39, while safely pulled off the road.

I don't know that having a film crew and chat buddies along with you counts as a "single person cache run."

My best score done totally solo is 72 finds. Around hour 15, I got tired and it wasn't fun anymore, so I stopped. I think the biggest impediment to a 24 hour solo run is driving fatigue and safety.

becuase of this same issue you stated I realy don't forsee me making it 24 but, 16 -20 I can do.

The secondary challenge is navigation and planning. With a team of two or more, one person can always be driving towards the next cache, while someone else takes care of record keeping, reading the next cache page, and selecting the correct route. Alone in the car, it takes time to record find #38 and plan out find #39, while safely pulled off the road.

I don't know that having a film crew and chat buddies along with you counts as a "single person cache run."

Any one with me will have nothing to do with planning at all, They will be there to record the effort only. I have done 60 in a day with out much planning on a road trip from Birmingham to Huntsville. So I am going to go for a goal of 150.

#4 worries me......4. All caches will be new caches, never logged or searched for before the run.

That's not going to add up to many at all now is it? :)

I think he means caches that have never been logged or searched for by him, not a 24-hour run of FTFs. So he's not going to revisit caches he found before, as that's kind of cheating. I've revisited caches before to place TB's, but I just log a note, not a new find.

#4 worries me......4. All caches will be new caches, never logged or searched for before the run.

That's not going to add up to many at all now is it? :)

I think he means caches that have never been logged or searched for by him, not a 24-hour run of FTFs. So he's not going to revisit caches he found before, as that's kind of cheating. I've revisited caches before to place TB's, but I just log a note, not a new find.

As stated here. I meant that it would be caches I have never visited.

I'd worry about safety if you do all the driving. Your safety and the safety of others.

It just isn't smart to continue to operate a one or two ton motor vehicle when you get tired. I see no harm in allowing yourself a driver. You could do all the navigation and make them promise to get to the cache using your directions even if they think they know a better way.

I'd worry about safety if you do all the driving. Your safety and the safety of others.

It just isn't smart to continue to operate a one or two ton motor vehicle when you get tired. I see no harm in allowing yourself a driver. You could do all the navigation and make them promise to get to the cache using your directions even if they think they know a better way.

I'm contiplating this idea. It's a good one. Driver/videographer

Thanks for the input.

I would think for a solo run such as this, a bicycle might be better than a car. The record cache runs I'm aware of had a driver, so people could exit the car without looking for parking while the driver waited. A single person will have to look for parking for every cache, which will take precious time.

With a bicycle you don't have to worry about finding parking and you don't have to worry about traffic.

I would think for a solo run such as this, a bicycle might be better than a car. The record cache runs I'm aware of had a driver, so people could exit the car without looking for parking while the driver waited. A single person will have to look for parking for every cache, which will take precious time.

With a bicycle you don't have to worry about finding parking and you don't have to worry about traffic.

That 21 mile series with 170 caches along the old RR bed in TX would be a good spot for a solo run, but someone said it's not really good on a bike for the whole distance and an ATV is a better option. That would almost be too easy. Zoom 600 feet, hop off, grab a cache, hop on go 600' more. I think they're all regulars too.

I was thinking scooter - bike works too, but uses more energy. Either would be faster to get on/off and rid of the transportation. Car with driver(s) doesn't equal single person *to me*. Though the rules are whatever you decide they are ( unless you're caching Pro).

There are many places in the world now where a person could start at say 4 am on a Sunday morning and cache through midnight, seeking caches at or under 1.5 difficulty terrain on the right side of the road, and likely get at least 10 an hour, maybe more...... cache the full 24 hours if staying awake.

A well coordinated group certainly has the advantage,,, more eyes searching and especially if each member has a designated duty such as navigating, driving, and/or recording. But there's absolutely no doubt that a single person can find well over 100 caches in less than 24 hours. It all depends on what area a person chooses to cache in and what system he or she has come up with for navigating, finding, and recording of the caches.

The first thing a person needs to do is to find an area where there are plenty of caches. However, quantity is not the only thing a person needs to look for. It also makes a difference in how those caches are laid out. To me, the best areas would maybe consist of a series that followed a certain trail or road where you didn't have to worry too much getting lost or figuring out the best route to the next cache. Our little group made a run up north of us last year where our goal was to find 100. That was easily reached in, i'm thinking around 7 or 8 hours actual caching time. I would think that a single person could tackle that series and get the same results in close to that same time. Since our run, more caches have been added up in that area so i can see how a person could rack up a big number in a 24 hour period!

WeatherednBoston and I once did 56 caches in 19 hours. We were actually awake that 'day' for 45 hours, but as we didn't start caching till 10 hours after morning, and ended when we arrived at a two day dual event it was only 19 hours of actual caching. Perhaps about 10 DNF's to add to that number. And to be honest it really wasn't all in one day, but I logged all those caches while 'awake' from the first day so it was all on the same day to my reconing, except for the event. I couldn't actually log the event for a day before the event actually occurred, or was it two days beforehand?

The most I've done by myself is....5. And that took me almost 3 hours and I was exausted afterwards. I would love to one day take a couple days off any really push it to see what I could do but it just never works out.

I agree. And without someone there to navigate for me I found that I always parked farther away then I needed to. Hunting for the caches was fun but constantly finding parking was probably the biggest pain that made me stop when I did.

Edited by StClairC

You could also plan to do it in a city with lots of urban caches and mass transit. I just went to DC for an event, didn't really start caching until after 2 in the afternoon,and found about 30 by midnight. Walked to almost all of them, except for a quick Metro ride from one area to another, and then the Metro back to our hotel.

Is 2000 caches in one day real?

checkout member GRozecki

"Used to log as Rozecki Now logging as GRozecki"

They are just backlogging caches under a new name.

- They can request a name change and make it easier

- They could use the same date of the original found it log.

I just want to know how they acquired the leading "G". And why does it matter? :)

Problem is, there are no logs by any "Rozecki" on any of those caches I looked at. Dolphin, you on this one? :)

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Driving from Illinois to NC a few years ago I routed myself through Nashville with the idea that I would cache for 24 hours and see how I did. I think I wound up with 150-ish but got bored at about hour 16 so stopped caching and continued my drive to NC. I was driving solo and had never cached in Nashville before. It was fun and then it wasn't.