Activation Code Question?

Tennessee Jed

Most people in this forum have had trouble finding activation codes for one reason or anther. Maybe it was a bad trade or a purchase from a vendor. A few coins probably don’t matter that much, but if you have around $500 to $1,000 invested in these coins and have exhausted all possibilities of locating the codes do you just write it off or should you hold anyone accountable? Mind you the coins are not defective but the numbers are.

Most people in this forum have had trouble finding activation codes for one reason or anther. Maybe it was a bad trade or a purchase from a vendor. A few coins probably don’t matter that much, but if you have around $500 to $1,000 invested in these coins and have exhausted all possibilities of locating the codes do you just write it off or should you hold anyone accountable? Mind you the coins are not defective but the numbers are.

Do you have particular coin in mind? Maybe someone here can help you out...

I am not sure I understand why you wouldn't be able to locate an activation code....sometimes I have to look at various sites to the one I am looking for.....

The first place I go is coincodes.com then through the major vendors, which I am sure is the same thing you have done.

I am not sure I understand why you wouldn't be able to locate an activation code....sometimes I have to look at various sites to the one I am looking for.....

The first place I go is coincodes.com then through the major vendors, which I am sure is the same thing you have done.

Some of the coins are from numerous overseas vendors and some are from major american coin vendors that don't recognise the tracking number. Some originally came with a code but the code was lost before the trade was made. But it is not just one or a few coins, it is around 100+ coins.

Edited by Tennessee Jed

I have had no troubles finding activation codes from coins bought through vendours or directly from the coin makers. It's the secondary market sales and sometimes trades that have caused me troubles and that is no fault of the coin makers or distributors but middle-people who've lost the records.

With 20 coins or more a person has to start giving serious thought to databasing their coins' information. Info cards that come with the coins are tossed because they get in the way of admiring the coin. But following a trade or sale that tossed info can cause a fair amount of grief... for the buyer/recepient!! So with 20 coins one may not be thinking just yet about trades and secondary market sales (Ebay) but when the time comes it's best to be prepared.

Some of the coins are from numerous overseas vendors and some are from major american coin vendors that don't recognise the tracking number. Some originally came with a code but the code was lost before the trade was made.

I am working with one that originally came with the code, but I didn't receive the code when I got it. It was suggested that I contact GS, and I did that yesterday. I haven't heard back yet, but hope they can supply me with the code, since it is in their DB.

I'm confused about the "bad numbers" allegation or that tracking numbers aren't recognized by certain vendours. Vendours only recognize tracking numbers they've been issued by Groundspeak or those they've been entrusted with by other coin makers hoping to use that vendour's site to host their activation codes. The only entity that should recognize ALL tracking numbers is Groundspeak.

That said, though, when confronted with the "lost flip card" I've come to the forums to find out who the coin maker is or who might host the activation codes. Finding out who made the coin and who the client was is very helpful as they are the ones who buy the tracking numbers from GS and who are given the database of codes to go with the tracking numbers.

Edited by Droo

I have had no troubles finding activation codes from coins bought through vendours or directly from the coin makers. It's the secondary market sales and sometimes trades that have caused me troubles and that is no fault of the coin makers or distributors but middle-people who've lost the records.

With 20 coins or more a person has to start giving serious thought to databasing their coins' information. Info cards that come with the coins are tossed because they get in the way of admiring the coin. But following a trade or sale that tossed info can cause a fair amount of grief... for the buyer/recepient!! So with 20 coins one may not be thinking just yet about trades and secondary market sales (Ebay) but when the time comes it's best to be prepared.

I have databased all of my purchases but that hasn't helped. Also I can read the numbers even if I have to use a microscope.

Edited by Tennessee Jed

Some of the coins are from numerous overseas vendors and some are from major american coin vendors that don't recognise the tracking number. Some originally came with a code but the code was lost before the trade was made. But it is not just one or a few coins, it is around 100+ coins.

Oh,,,yikes :rolleyes:

I hope when I do go through my collection, this doesn't happen to me. Although, I don't activate my collection,

I would hate to make a trade and then have the recipient not be able to activate due to the activation code being lost by myself or the original vendor. I never thought about it much when I saw the coins with activation codes, I never if you lose that tiny piece of paper you could be up the river without a paddle. I always thought you could locate the activation by visiting the vendor site or coincodes.com (I always thought they were being courteous by including the activation code so I wouldn't have to waste my time locating it.

Dang I feel like such a newbie..... :) Sorry about that uneducated response above :(

I have databased all of my purchases but that hasn't helped. Also I can read the numbers even if I have to use a microscope.

I guess it doesn't help when you get new coins but can't update your database with complete information. An updated database is only good for those coins you have listed. No listed coin - no info.

But I gather you're not at the selling/trading end of the information shortage but the receiving end. Getting that information updated for as many coins are you say will be a big job. But you could start with using the forums to find out who the coin makers were which can lead you to finding their codes' hosted sites.

Here are some of the coins I am having trouble with...

Baby Loggerhead Micro

Big Bear, CA

Canada 2006

Castleman 2008 Australia

Caught Red Handed

Caught Red Handed Micro

Double Dragon

Earth Turtle 2008

Ernest Demuyter (Gordon Bennett)

Euro

Geocaching Germany 2007

King Boreas