Oregon vs Colorado

Cache Bug

I have both a Colorado 300 and an Oregon 200 GPS.

The Colorado: I bought this unit in February this year and have had a bit of a roller coaster ride with it. It started off with numerous glitches and bugs. Still, I liked its look and feel and saw a lot of potential in it. The most discouraging problem didn't really effect me until August or so. With the latest firmware updates - my Colorado has become the goto unit of choice for me. No troubles now. The Geocaching screens are easier to use and seem a bit more thought out than the Oregon. Some of the other screens are a bit confusing and it took a while to learn the right way to get the most out of the R&R. However, the units anntena makes it hold signal just a tad little bit better under challenging conditions. I like my Colorado. A lot. Make certain you use some rechargable NImH batteries as alkline batteries don't last.

The Oregon: I fell in love instantly with the touch screen interface. Wow. Very well thought out system and easy data entry. Somehow the geocaching screens are just not as good as the Colorado's though - makes no sense that they are not duplicates. Each software update has made it better and better. My only complaints are: 1 screen brightness- the screen requires backlighting in nearly all conditions, 2 - Not as rugged look and feel and 3 - It has lost signal under heavy tree cover with leaves swirling off the trees while the Colorado hung in there rock solid. Overall I give it a very close 2nd place to the Colorado (with latest firmware). Same battery advice for the Oregon.

Colorado has a severe waterproof problem to the point where Garmin is trying to design a "fix" for the back cover.

Do you have an actual source for that?? I think it is just rumor.

A caching friend has already received a beta test from Garmin. It is not a rumour.

And he is not happy with their solution. It does not address the battery compartment at all; only the SD card area.

And for further proof of the issue, have a look at the picture in Post # 13 of this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=206819

The thread also contains a copy of my friend's comment.

My first unit leaked through to the batteries in a rain storm and Garmin claimed that a rain storm was worse than submersion.

I think that hole is for barometric pressure.

The big problem is twofold. First, every time the back cover slides over the battery compartment there is stress put on the o-ring as shown in the photo in the other thread. I had that problem. Sometimes the 0-ring would pull out. You could mitigate the problem somewhat by pushing the o-ring down and squeezing the back cover a bit.

The second problem is that most (all 3 of my units had this problem) of the back covers do not form a tight fit where they meet the body of the unit. In one case, I could insert a dime in the gap. This is a natural trough for water.

I have owned both.

The Oregon's touchscreen is far more intuitive to navigate around and hand-enter coords with.

The Oregon's overall dimensions feel much better in my hand (I'm a big/tall guy, usually wear size XL gloves)

People have complained about the Colorado's poor waterproofness... having looked at both closely I'd be way more confident with the Oregon around water than I would the Colorado.

That said, overall I still really liked both units very much, but between the two... most definitely get an Oregon