Caching in the rain?

Jaebird82

Hey,

It's staring to rain here in Southern Cali - just wondering who caches in the rain? A more relative question to me would be, who hikes while caching in the rain? I just bought an incredible rain jacket and want to test it out, but now I need rain pants and water proof shoes to go along with it.

Just wondering if the rainy season keeps you in doors and out of the dirty muddy water.

--Jaebird82

Hey,

It's staring to rain here in Southern Cali - just wondering who caches in the rain? A more relative question to me would be, who hikes while caching in the rain? I just bought an incredible rain jacket and want to test it out, but now I need rain pants and water proof shoes to go along with it.

Just wondering if the rainy season keeps you in doors and out of the dirty muddy water.

--Jaebird82

Let's put it this way. If it's raining on Saturday, then I'm going to get wet and muddy. No way around it.

Hey,

--Jaebird82

We live in a small city in the scenic Snoqualmie River valley, nestled against the foothills about 30 miles east of Seattle.

If we didn't cache in the rain, when would we cache.

OK, the above was to keep up the myth that it always rains in Seattle. We've actually had a very nice summer this year.

Does the rainy season keep us indoors? Not a bit. Neither does snow. Just dress appropriately and enjoy! :)

Hey,

--Jaebird82

We live in a small city in the scenic Snoqualmie River valley, nestled against the foothills about 30 miles east of Seattle.

If we didn't cache in the rain, when would we cache.

OK, the above was to keep up the myth that it always rains in Seattle. We've actually had a very nice summer this year.

Does the rainy season keep us indoors? Not a bit. Neither does snow. Just dress appropriately and enjoy! :rolleyes:

:) I musta blinked cuz I saw a cool wet summer. But to stay on topic, rain, snow, sun, scattered sunshine, hail... it's all the same here. I hike. Staying indoors due to weather is not an option. Good weather is a by product.

Edited by TotemLake

We've actually had a very nice summer this year.

:) I musta blinked cuz I saw a cool wet summer.

Probably just a case of selective memory on my part.

If you stray from the party line again, we'll have to take appropriate action. :(

What he said. :rolleyes:

But we did have a warmer, sunnier fall than usual....until yesterday.

If you stray from the party line again, we'll have to take appropriate action. :(

I beg humble forgiveness of my fellow northwesterners. I won't stray from the party line again. I blame it on the fact I'm working late nights and my body clock is all messed up so I'm not thinking straight, plus they adjusted my med's today :D (What my bloodpressure meds have to do with it I don't know, but I'm gonna blame them ).

On Topic. We're actually saving some nearby areas to cache in the snow. Cougar mountain is beautiful with a fresh snowfall.

I beg humble forgiveness of my fellow northwesterners. I won't stray from the party line again. I blame it on the fact I'm working late nights and my body clock is all messed up so I'm not thinking straight, plus they adjusted my med's today :D (What my bloodpressure meds have to do with it I don't know, but I'm gonna blame them ).

On Topic. We're actually saving some nearby areas to cache in the snow. Cougar mountain is beautiful with a fresh snowfall.

The airshaft near the Claypit is even weirder with snow on the ground.

I'm in SoCal too and have cached in the rain. The funnest was caching in the rain in the desert when the washes fill up with water. Water out there firms up the sand, making it easier to get around.

The biggest hassle is signing the log without getting it wet. An umbrella comes in handy. Try caching in the rain at night - now that's an experience!

We hike and cache in the rain, snow, sun, wind, sleet whatever. I love being outdoors on a beautiful day, but I enjoy it just a bit more during bad weather. There is something about being out there when everybody else is snug in their homes.

I've heard it said that there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing and I'm a firm believer in that. In the rain I wear a waterproof, breathable Marmot Precip rain jacket (if you use a non breathable raincoat you'll get just as wet from sweat as you would from the rain) and generally prefer nylon, quick drying shorts and waterproof gaiters rather than rain pants. I only use rain pants if it's real cold out. Again make sure those pants are not only waterproof, but breathable or you'll just get soaked from the inside. All my hiking boots are Gore-Tex lined so waterproof footwear is never a worry. Stay away from any cotton clothing, even underwear, because when cotton gets wet it stays wet for a long time. Synthetics don't retain water and dry quickly.

Edited by briansnat

HMM, doesn't the old song say "it never rains in Southern California"? :)

Seriously, I have to admit that we only cache in the rain if it's the only chance to get at a cache. Like last August when we were coming home on a long day's drive from visiting my sister on the other end of the state and it would probably be our only chance to hit some area caches along the way until our next visit which could be 1 or 2 years from now. In fact, sadly, if it rained the day before I usually can't get the family to cache unless it is paved trails since they think it will be too muddy, though I've occasionally been able to go out on my own in those situations.

That said, rain is currently forecast for our local WWFM event this Saturday and we do plan to go to that.

I cache when I get the chance...even in a Tropical Storm this summer. The great part was that muggles weren't an issue. The awful part was that I squished all day.

I can't say what winter weather will bring, but I am not a fan of ice-covered guardrails, so I probably will stay home those days and figure out solutions to Puzzle caches, or gather ingredients for a cache to hide when it gets nice weather.

I live in England = I cache in the rain

A couple of years ago my daughter spent a year in Nottingham. When I first spoke to her I said, " I hear you're getting a lot of rain". She said," Thats what they call it over here". A quick check showed that Nottingham got 10 times more rain days then New Orleans but received only 1/10 the rainfall . :)

Caching in the rain in south Louisiana is not a good idea.......if you do it be very carefull. Containers down here have to be sturdy and absolutely water tight. If a cacher gets water in the container it becomes a terrarium and never leaves. We traveled to the west and NW this summer and had a great time caching but noticed a large amount of containers ( not ammo cans :ph34r: ) that would not last a month in south LA. ( they were dry and just fine for where they are placed)

From a cache owners perspective, rain caching = increased cache maint. When I get logs about folks caching in a downpour I get a little bummed :ph34r:

We'll cache in the rain. We cached during a hurricane once. Granted, the winds in our area were only in the 80MPH range, but still, it was a genuine hurricane.

We've also cached in snow storms and other bad weather. There's something fun about taking out the 4x4 and heading to a park and walking to a cache with a blanket of white and snow falling all around you.

Then, you come home, sit by the fire and sip a warm drink.

I'll happily hike in the rain, I've been up mountains in the rain and fog. Caching in the rain is different though, when you're hiking you don't have to rummage around in wet leaves, mud etc, and try to open a container and sign the log whilst trying to keep the contents dry.

I'm thinking of setting caches that have covered parking and you don't have to go out in the open to get to the cache, thus providing rainy day caching!

I don't cache much anymore, but I do play a lot of golf in the rain. I have learned to avoid cotton fabrics under rain suits because it gets clammy from the perspiration. Wool is better(sheep stay warm), poly underwear is better yet, but poly fleece is by far the best. I saw some really soft poly sweaters at Costco last week and bought a couple for this winter's golf. I played yesterday in the rain with just the sweater and no jacket. If poly gets wet and heavy, you can give it a good shake and it feels virtually dry because the fibers absorb no water.

I just bought a brand new rain jacket. I looked at the Mammot Preclip, though nice, check out the REI's new Shuksan jacket with eVent tech. Supposedly better than Gortex because it' way more breathable. Haven't tested it in the rain yet, wanted to , (heard its amazing in this aspect from various outdoorsy magazine like backpacker) but I did bring it on a hike with me when it got a bit windy. This thing is amazing. Now I need water-proof shoes and pants. Ill look into gaiters. What kind of shoes/boots are you using? Im looking at the Keen Targhees II, but can't decide. Headlamp?

I wear smartwool as my baselayer. Haven't found nothing better to keep your thermoregulation somewhat normal in bad weather( take it from someone with a sever sweating disorder, even in the winter).

--Jaebird82

We hike and cache in the rain, snow, sun, wind, sleet whatever. I love being outdoors on a beautiful day, but I enjoy it just a bit more during bad weather. There is something about being out there when everybody else is snug in their homes.

I've heard it said that there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing and I'm a firm believer in that. In the rain I wear a waterproof, breathable Marmot Precip rain jacket (if you use a non breathable raincoat you'll get just as wet from sweat as you would from the rain) and generally prefer nylon, quick drying shorts and waterproof gaiters rather than rain pants. I only use rain pants if it's real cold out. Again make sure those pants are not only waterproof, but breathable or you'll just get soaked from the inside. All my hiking boots are Gore-Tex lined so waterproof footwear is never a worry. Stay away from any cotton clothing, even underwear, because when cotton gets wet it stays wet for a long time. Synthetics don't retain water and dry quickly.

I just bought a brand new rain jacket. I looked at the Mammot Preclip, though nice, check out the REI's new Shuksan jacket with eVent tech. Supposedly better than Gortex because it' way more breathable. Haven't tested it in the rain yet, wanted to , (heard its amazing in this aspect from various outdoorsy magazine like backpacker) but I did bring it on a hike with me when it got a bit windy. This thing is amazing. Now I need water-proof shoes and pants. Ill look into gaiters. What kind of shoes/boots are you using? Im looking at the Keen Targhees II, but can't decide. Headlamp?

I wear smartwool as my baselayer. Haven't found nothing better to keep your thermoregulation somewhat normal in bad weather( take it from someone with a sever sweating disorder, even in the winter).

--Jaebird82

I have a big umbrella to hold over the cache and keep them dry - now that usually means I'm not fully under it......and I don't always have my rain gear.

As a Seattle native I must ask about this "umbrella" that you mention. What is it? :D

Yeah. I was wondering about that, too. :D

Me three. You can tell who the visitors to Seattle are - they're the only ones with umbrellas. :D

I have a big umbrella to hold over the cache and keep them dry - now that usually means I'm not fully under it......and I don't always have my rain gear.

As a Seattle native I must ask about this "umbrella" that you mention. What is it? :D

Yeah. I was wondering about that, too. :D

Me three. You can tell who the visitors to Seattle are - they're the only ones with umbrellas. :D

Oh, are they those big, black, mushroom-shaped things that people carry? Saw a bunch of tourists with those out at Snoqualmie Falls a few weeks ago. Strange. :D We just laughed at them. :D

I don't cache much anymore, but I do play a lot of golf in the rain. I have learned to avoid cotton fabrics under rain suits because it gets clammy from the perspiration. Wool is better(sheep stay warm), poly underwear is better yet, but poly fleece is by far the best. I saw some really soft poly sweaters at Costco last week and bought a couple for this winter's golf. I played yesterday in the rain with just the sweater and no jacket. If poly gets wet and heavy, you can give it a good shake and it feels virtually dry because the fibers absorb no water.

That reminded me of a cartoon (from a bike ride book) of a group of bike riders passing a golf course in the rain. Both groups were thinking "Look at those nuts out in the rain!"

I'm proud to be from the Great Pacific NorthWet - home of rite-in-the-rain paper!

I take exception to this thread. The original inquiry was from someone in SoCal about caching in the rain. My response: If you are in SoCal and it is raining in the morning, don't cache in the rain; wait until rainy season is over ... like in the afternoon. :-)

Haha! Thanks for your answers guys. Good to see most of you don't let the rain stop you. A poster mentioned having the right gear makes a huge difference. I have to agree with that!

:) Question about rain! Does anyone who has a Garmin 60 CSX, have any reservation about using it in the rain and getting it WET :( $$$$$$$$$$

Nope! From page vi of the owner manual:

The 60CSx is waterproof to IEC Standard 60529 IPX7. It can withstand immersion in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. Prolonged sbmersion can cause damage to the unit. After submersion, be cerain to wipe and air dry the unit before reuse or charging.
It can take a little rain (or a lot of rain, but I've yet to see a meter of rain...).

Hey,

God loves the infantry!!! Like I tell my daughter, "It's just water, kiddo!" I did a little caching in Northern Michigan a couple of weeks ago when it started to POUR. I ran into a Dunham's Sporting Goods and bought a cheapy $4 rain poncho, then kept on cachin'

Enjoy that weather in SoCal!!!!

Pete

WWW.Glass-cockpit.org

Hmm, $4? I think I got ripped off. Thinking about taking mine back. :D

Thinking about caching in the rain is harder than actually caching in the rain. If I'm out caching and it starts raining, I just put on my jacket and continue. But if I'm at home - nice and warm (like today) - and it's pouring down rain (like today), it's a lot harder to get up and go caching (which I didn't today).

I agree, if it is raining on the weekend then I am caching in the rain. But, lightning will keep me indoors. Got some nasty lightning in Ohio. Those metal ammo caches probably arent a good bet to be holding when you hear thunder....

If you hear the thunder don't worry... that one missed. :)