Problems with Garmin 60CSx Mapping

Okay this is our first time so I hope we are doing this right. Our question is...we have a Garmin 60CSx and we loaded the City Navigator mapping software and it was working fine for several months. We then tried to load in additional maps and that is were are problems began. We no longer can use the turn by turn directions. It is acting as if only the base maps are in the GPS however all streets are viewable on the map page....but when trying do turn by turn direction it only uses major highways. We deleted the card and started over and we did a hard reset but it still did not work. Does anyone have any idea of what maybe happening? Thanks lil princess

When you load maps to the GPSr from mapsource it erases the previous maps. To load different mapsets you need to load them all into Mapsource first then select the maps from the different mapsets using the dropdown menu, and send them to the gps *in one go* as a single file. New maps cannot be combined with existing maps, (well they can but not easily)

Okay this is our first time so I hope we are doing this right. Our question is...we have a Garmin 60CSx and we loaded the City Navigator mapping software and it was working fine for several months. We then tried to load in additional maps and that is were are problems began. We no longer can use the turn by turn directions. It is acting as if only the base maps are in the GPS however all streets are viewable on the map page....but when trying do turn by turn direction it only uses major highways. We deleted the card and started over and we did a hard reset but it still did not work. Does anyone have any idea of what maybe happening? Thanks lil princess

Are the "additional Maps" made by Garmin? Autorouting only works with Garmin maps. Do you have the City Navigator maps selected on the map page? Map page>menu>Setup map> Map setup -Information> City Navigator has a check mark next to it?

Are the "additional Maps" made by Garmin? Autorouting only works with Garmin maps. Do you have the City Navigator maps selected on the map page? Map page>menu>Setup map> Map setup -Information> City Navigator has a check mark next to it?

Yes the maps are Garmin. I am using the same exact software that I used originally. Like I said I deleted everything and then tried starting over. The street names are viewable on the map page but it will not navigate. In map setup the map is checked. I cannot even get the GPS to ask me if I want to do off road or follow road......is it possible that the micro sd got fried somehow????

Just a couple of things to check. Go to Setup --> Routes, and make sure that the "Guidance Method" isn't set to Off Road. Then go into the Follow Road Options on the same setup screen and make sure that proper settings are in effect. The GPSr might be calculating routes for something other than a car, or there might be check marks in the Avoid category to avoid unpaved roads, etc. It sounds like you've got something set incorrectly, but not sure.

Yes the maps are Garmin. I am using the same exact software that I used originally. Like I said I deleted everything and then tried starting over. The street names are viewable on the map page but it will not navigate. In map setup the map is checked. I cannot even get the GPS to ask me if I want to do off road or follow road......is it possible that the micro sd got fried somehow????

If you are using the non-NT version of CN, I believe it is possible to transfer maps without including route calculation data. If the streets show up, but the unit won’t calculate routes, that may be what happened.

In MapSource, in the pane on the left side of the screen, at the bottom of the Maps tab there is a checkbox that says, “Include route calculation data.” It sounds like it may not have been checked when you transferred the maps. Make sure it is checked and try it again. (To save time, you can try it with just a single map segment of your local area as a test, rather than wait for a large amount of maps to load. If this solves the problem, just select all the maps you want to load and transfer again.)

If you have the NT version of CN, that wouldn’t be the problem, because the NT version always includes route calculation data. If you have the NT version, the box is greyed out, so you can’t change the setting. The greyed out box is incorrectly shown unchecked.

If you are using the non-NT version of CN, I believe it is possible to transfer maps without including route calculation data. If the streets show up, but the unit won’t calculate routes, that may be what happened.

In MapSource, in the pane on the left side of the screen, at the bottom of the Maps tab there is a checkbox that says, “Include route calculation data.” It sounds like it may not have been checked when you transferred the maps. Make sure it is checked and try it again. (To save time, you can try it with just a single map segment of your local area as a test, rather than wait for a large amount of maps to load. If this solves the problem, just select all the maps you want to load and transfer again.)

If you have the NT version of CN, that wouldn’t be the problem, because the NT version always includes route calculation data. If you have the NT version, the box is greyed out, so you can’t change the setting. The greyed out box is incorrectly shown unchecked.

Oh boy am I stupid....I have been working on this for hours....no days...and all I had to do was check the box. Well thank you everyone....I went and checked the box and then reinstalled the maps and it works. Thank you all again very much. lil princess