Administration

I was just wondering how someone becomes an administrator? Can anyone do it? Also, how do they decide who reviews a cache? Is it by area or first come first serve? Also, can administrators disable a cache just because a "reliable source" tells them it is gone? As anyone heard of Admin. wanting a cacher to change the title of a cache? Even when the name is appropriate and goes along with Halloween. Just wanted to see if anyone knew the inter workings of Administration. :)

I was just wondering how someone becomes an administrator?

We're called "volunteer cache reviewers." I thank BrianSnat for linking you to the explanation of how to become a reviewer.
Can anyone do it?

Yes. Many reviewers are dogs.

Also, how do they decide who reviews a cache? Is it by area or first come first serve?
We divide the world up geographically for the most part. One or more reviewers will be responsible for a particular country or state.
Also, can administrators disable a cache just because a "reliable source" tells them it is gone?

We make judgements based on logs to the cache page and any e-mail reports. If the cache is in place, it is a simple matter to re-enable it.

As anyone heard of Admin. wanting a cacher to change the title of a cache? Even when the name is appropriate and goes along with Halloween. Just wanted to see if anyone knew the inter workings of Administration. :)

Cache names must be family-friendly and non-commercial, among other things. If the name of a cache violates the listing guidelines, the reviewer will ask the cache owner to select a different name.

Many of the best reviewers are dogs. Dogs cannot be influenced by flattery or bribes over the internet. In the flesh, yes - most dogs are suckers for a friendly, "good boy!" (and milkbone). Human reviewers are more subject to over-the-net influences, fulsome praise (and Paypal).

Reviewing being an internet job, dogs have just shown themselves to be more reliable. I expect the remaining human reviewers will be phased out over time.*

*I confess, I have many unmet expectations. For example...where's the Kenyan money I've been promised? when is Vinny going to send the Secrets of Successful Pro Geocachers (only $19.95?) .

I was just wondering how someone becomes an administrator? Can anyone do it? Also, how do they decide who reviews a cache? Is it by area or first come first serve? Also, can administrators disable a cache just because a "reliable source" tells them it is gone? As anyone heard of Admin. wanting a cacher to change the title of a cache? Even when the name is appropriate and goes along with Halloween. Just wanted to see if anyone knew the inter workings of Administration. :)

Do you really want to become an administrator and/or cache reviewer?

Or is something else going on? Did you try to place a Halloween-themed cache? What did you want to call it, if I may be so bold as to ask? I'm sure some of the veteran cachers on the board might be able to suggest something that won't fall afoul of the guidelines.

...*I confess, I have many unmet expectations. For example...where's the Kenyan money I've been promised? when is Vinny going to send the Secrets of Successful Pro Geocachers (only $19.95?) .

Please be advised that as of December 12, 2006, the pricing on the invaluable and yet pragmatic and practical literary work entitled Secrets of Successful Pro Geocachers was raised to $99.96, and yes, copies of the book are still available on Ebay via "Buy It Now" listings, for the cited price plus $42.00 S/H charges. Thank you for your interest in my masterpiece work! It is much appreciated!

Rainbow Brite, I must warn you from the start that my answer will differ radically from the pablum vanilla "feel good" replies sent to you by Briansnat and Keystone, for they are mere corporate puppets and mindless tools for the evil Groundspeak empire, while I, on the other hand, have all-seeing and all-knowing perception. Here goes with the REAL explanation.

First, the term "administrator" is usually used only to denote salaried managerial employees of Groundspeak. The beings to which you are referring are not administrators, but rather, they are volunteer reviewers. The reality is, despite whatever nonsense Keystone will try to shove down your throat, that volunteer reviewers are recruited from among the ranks of the most depraved and insane and sadistic criminals in the world, from the world's worst prisons for the violent criminally insane, and then they are further culled and selected by teams of trained Groundspeak sado-psychologists, and, once selected, are then trained to become even more evil and more cunning and more sadistic.

The goal of these reviewers, once trained, is to drive you crazy when you try to submit a cache. To do so, they use the Acme MT-550 Mind Reading Machine to read your mind (that is, the mind of the poor geocacher who has just submitted a cache for publication) and find out exactly what types of obstacles and nonsense will drive you most mad, and then they proceed to throw all sorts of custom-engineered imaginary obstacles and challenges in front of you, in order to drive you insane in the shortest possible time. For this is how they and their evil masters, the Grundspeak administrators, get their jollies, and this is how they serve their master Satan (no, you are surely and decidedly dyslexic, for I did NOT write "Santa"!), who loves to see poor hapless innocent geocache hiders driven mad.

These trained sick and sinister "volunteer reviewer" mercenaries are finely-trained in the art of frustration and obfuscation, and they will invent all sorts of reasons why your perfectly-good cache cannot be published as-is, and their inane excuses for refusal to publish will invariably include one or more of the following bogus "reasons":

• "your cache is located within 528 feet of another pre-existing cache", when the reality is that there are no caches within a 30 mile radius of your chosen GZ.
  • "Groundspeak does not allow Radioactive Isotope Hotel caches, for they are in violation of Groundspeak rules and federal and international law", when the reality is that evil Groundspeak admins are being paid off by the radioactive isotope cartel in order to limit trade and raise prices on these commodities.
  • "your cache is located on active railroad tracks and thus cannot be published" when, in reality, numerous studies have shown that geocachers and railroad administrators alike LOVE caches which are placed on active railroad tracks.
  • "Your Unused Prescription Drug Trading Post cache has been rejected because it is in violation of Groundspeak rules and federal and international laws", when the reality is that evil Groundspeak admins are being paid off by the pharmaceutical drug cartel in order to limit trade and raise prices on these commodities and to deprive little old ladies of the expensive prescription drugs that they so desperately need in order to stay alive.
  • "Your PVC pipe cache with the protruding wires and timer has been refused publication because you placed it under a bridge located on a very busy interstate highway", when the reality is that numerous studies show that geocachers, highway administrators and law enforcement officials alike LOVE such caches placed under busy highway bridges.
  • "We cannot publish your cache because you made a major error in the waypoint coordinates, and the current waypoint coordinates place your cache in a deep trench in the Atlantic Ocean, over 800 miles from the nearest land", when the reality is that the admins and reviewers are simply jealous that you managed to place your extreme terrain cache in a far more creative site than they could ever have dreamed of.
  • "Your cache was placed on posted and fenced private residential property without permission and thus we cannot publish it.", when the reality is that numerous studies show that landowners and property managers around the world love it when geocachers place caches without permission on their posted and fenced private properties.

So, the bottom line is this: these reviewers are trained evil mercenaries, and their puppet masters, the admins of Groundspeak, are all multi-billionaire evil henchmen/henchwomen of Satan, and their sole purpose for existing is to drive you crazy! So, the best thing to do is to fight them tooth and nail, by suing them in courts at the local level, the national level and the international level for depriving you of your God-given right to hide a cache wherever you want to place one! I wish you the best with your holy, sacred and ordained mission, and please remember that God is on your side in your battle against these simpering minions of Satan!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team