GPS - Which One?

Charles7640

I am new to Geocashing. I found that there are several points close to my home in Orlando. I want to get started and have narrowed my decision to two different Garmin units. I have decided to go with the 76CSx or 60Cx. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about these GPSs.

Thanks,

Charles

I am new to Geocashing. I found that there are several points close to my home in Orlando. I want to get started and have narrowed my decision to two different Garmin units. I have decided to go with the 76CSx or 60Cx. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about these GPSs.

Thanks,

Charles

I'd also through the 60CSx into the mix.

Essentually, the 76csx and the 60csx are the same unit, so between those two, I'd choose the one that you like the look of more, as they are very different ergonomically. The 76 floats, the 60 doesn't. the 60 is definately the more popular one, but those that have the 76 seem to really really prefer the button layout.

The 60cx is essentially the same as the 60csx, except it doesn't have a barometer or electronic compass. What the electronic compass is able to do is point in the direction of a waypoint (most likely a cache) while you are standing still. Without it, you need to be moving relatively straight and quickly for the unit to know what direction you are facing. I find the electronic indispensable, but others seem to prefer having to move, or use a combination of an actual compass and using the bearing given by the GPS.

what about the vista?

What is a Vista?

Garmin eTrex Vista HCx - very similar features to the 60CSx but a bit smaller and much cheaper.

Thanks I'll check it out. I like cheap.

Just remember that you get what you pay for...

(I have the 60CSx--it rocks. It's by far the best gps on the market right now. The 76 CSx is the same quality in a different body, also very very nice).

I've been using the 76 series since 2002 and have really gotten good service from them. Started with the basic 76 and found quite a few caches with that unit. Then i got a 76s as a Christmas gift in 03 and kept the older one to use as a backup ever needed. The majority of our cache finds were made with the 76s. It has the sensors (electronic compass and barometer) but neither of those was ever needed for finding a cache. Someone above said that you have to be moving straight and quickly but this isn't necessary to get the arrow to point towards your goto. With these newer units, you don't have to move far to get the arrow to point right and give you the direction in which you are heading. Some will say to make sure and get the compass but for us, it just isn't worth the extra cost.

I found a good deal on both the 76csx and 76 cx earlier this year so decided to go ahead and get one since they have better reception and the color screen. There was close to $50 difference between the two so it was obvious to me which one to get. The 76cx is the best unit i have ever used and i sure don't miss having the sensors at all!

p.s. and true story,,, My wife and i tipped over in a canoe last year and thankfully we were using our 76s. Our caching buddies in the other canoe were able to catch it as it floated by them. In otherwords, it being able to float is another nice attribute. ;)

[...]The majority of our cache finds were made with the 76s. It has the sensors (electronic compass and barometer) but neither of those was ever needed for finding a cache. Someone above said that you have to be moving straight and quickly but this isn't necessary to get the arrow to point towards your goto. With these newer units, you don't have to move far to get the arrow to point right and give you the direction in which you are heading. Some will say to make sure and get the compass but for us, it just isn't worth the extra cost.

A little clarification...

The Garmin 76S has the electronic compass and barometric altimeter--so no, you don't have to be walking quickly to activate the compass on that unit.

It isn't a matter of 'newer' or 'older' technology-- The "S" in the name signifies is has the 'sensor" (the electronic compass and barometric altimeter)

From the Garmin page: The GPSMAP 76S has a built-in electronic compass that provides bearing information even while you're standing still, and its barometric altimeter tracks changes in pressure to pinpoint your precise altitude. You can even use the altimeter to plot barometric or ambient pressure over time, which can help you keep an eye on changing weather conditions.

Any units, like the GPSMAP 76, the eTrex Legend, the GPSMAP 76Cx, eTrex Vista HCx etc without the "S" in their name do not have the electronic compass and barometric altimeter. They do have a rudimentary compass, but in order to make it work, you have to be walking at a pace of at least 3mph for the compass to operate.

Some terms to know:

S = sensor (electronic compass and altimeter)

C = color screen

x = expandable memory (takes a micro SD card or other memory card)

H = MediaTek chipset (high-sensitivity)

*Note: all Garmin 60 and 76 "x" models use the SiRFSTARIII chipset, which is also high sensitivity

So a unit marked CSx has color screens, electronic compass and barometric altimeter, takes a memory card that allows extra map storage, and if it's a Garmin 60x or 76x model it has a high sensitivity chipset.

Any units, like the GPSMAP 76, the eTrex Legend, the GPSMAP 76Cx, eTrex Vista HCx etc without the "S" in their name do not have the electronic compass and barometric altimeter. They do have a rudimentary compass, but in order to make it work, you have to be walking at a pace of at least 3mph for the compass to operate.

I guarantee you I am not walking 3mph in order to get the compass to work on my Venture HC... usually I only have to take ONE step for it to change. IMO, the electronic compass is an upgraded feature, not a necessary one.

Thanks,

Charles

Hi there, I have just recently gone through the same question as you have and I to had to decide between those 2 models, as it turns out it was easy in the end, I went with the Garmin 60CSX and glad, the 76CSX had a poor layout in the sense when you operate the buttons you cover the screen with your hand, I highly recomend the map60csx. It also has the electronic compass and all the features the 76 has.

Cheers Gasm

I guarantee you I am not walking 3mph in order to get the compass to work on my Venture HC... usually I only have to take ONE step for it to change. IMO, the electronic compass is an upgraded feature, not a necessary one.

My old eTrex Legend "changes" the pointer direction when I take one step, too.

Like your HC, it has no electronic compass, either. Take a few steps it flips one way, stop, and it loses it's sense of direction...take a few more steps and it flips again. At slows speeds, the gps receiver doesn't provide a very accurate compass. All the non-electronic gps units behave that same way. They just do not know where they are unless they are moving.

The real test is when you can't follow a straight path to the cache--Then the electronic compass really shines. It continually refreshed, even at low speed, to keep you pointed in the correct direction.

The compass page is the best choice for navigation when you can't follow a straight line course (up rugged hills, in swampy areas, etc). On a unit with an electronic compass, the unit can navigate using the electronic compass or the GPS receiver. My 60 CSx unit camefrom the factory set to navigate below 10 mph using the electronic compass. If the unit's speed exceeds 10 mph, the unit automatically switches to the GPS receiver for navigation to save battery drain. When the unit's speed drops below 10 mph for longer than 90 seconds, the unit switches to using the electronic compass for navigation. The time and speed can be reset.

For cross-country skiers and backpackers, having an electronic compass can be critically important (although I still maintain that if you need the compass, you need a decent handheld compass and a good paper quad map in addition to the gps anyway). For the average geocacher who won't go more than thirty feet off the well worn path of a state park, it only means it may take a few minutes more to find the cache.

I use the barometer/altimeter to monitor weather changes and just out of curiosity when we drive over mountains. A hiker, skier, or someone who goes after caches on mountain tops might be more concerned with having accurate altimeter.

Having an electronic compass is supposedly more reliable when projecting waypoints, too. I suppose that makes sense. If you are off even a little, the farther out you project the greater your error will be at the other end.

I have the Venture HC and I agree. One step and it usually updates. It's not much of an inconvenience for me :)

Thanks,

Charles

Charles,

Following the threads that follow, ie., the 60 CSx, the 76 CSx, and the Vista HCx, follow this link:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...pareProduct=351

Either click on the link, or cut and paste the entire thing onto browser and then compare for yourself.

Good Luck !

Hello - I am also looking for a GPS (currently using my car's tomtom, which can be difficult!) There is one on sale this week for $89 - Garmin eTrex - does anyone have any experience with this one? Should I spend the additional money and get a better/different one? thoughts?