Washington State University Coug Trackable Coin Now available

Joyful April

This is my fist geocoin and I am very excited.

I have one on ebay but I will take direct orders, too.

WSU Geocoin

This is an unique coin with the trademarked WSU Coug logo.

I'm curious about a couple things (aside from the price)...

How is it "unique"? Is there only 1? Being a trademarked logo, how did you get permission to use it? Is it being marketed by the University as well? Were any other metal versions made or planning to be made? How many of each if there is more than 1? Does it have a custom icon? What's the thickness? :)

edit to add: You mention it being "my" coin in the title. Is this your personal coin?

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

I suppose it is possible they could have received permission to use the logo, or paid whatever licensing fee the university requires. The latter might explain the price.

I know that 2~sherlocks received permission from the Green Bay Packers to use their logo for his coin, with the stipulation that it not be sold for a profit.

I suppose it is possible they could have received permission to use the logo, or paid whatever licensing fee the university requires. The latter might explain the price.

I know that 2~sherlocks received permission from the Green Bay Packers to use their logo for his coin, with the stipulation that it not be sold for a profit.

The coin was made with legal use of the registered trademark and can be sold for profit.

WSU Geocoin

Yes, that's the price. If none sell than I will come down on the price.

Are you having to pay a fee to use that logo?

Yes, a fee had to be paid to use the the logo.

PS - I hope I am replying properly. I am awkward at the reply function.

WSU Geocoin

Curious about the price... $35, plus $4 for postage? That's the correct price?

ouch, is this being sold as a fundraiser for something?

It's a fundraiser but NOT for a non-profit group. :)

Is there a link to an image that works? This one gets me a dead yahoo page.

It could have been a design and composition that was very costly to produce :) so we'd like to see it for ourselves.

People may be supportive if the recipient of the fundraiser was disclosed.

Is the licensing fee public knowledge?

WSU Geocoin

I'm curious about a couple things (aside from the price)...

How is it "unique"? Is there only 1? Being a trademarked logo, how did you get permission to use it? Is it being marketed by the University as well? Were any other metal versions made or planning to be made? How many of each if there is more than 1? Does it have a custom icon? What's the thickness? :)

edit to add: You mention it being "my" coin in the title. Is this your personal coin?

It's "unique" because it's the only WSU coin and maybe the only university coin. There are 300 made. Future coins (if made) will be slightly different (a different metal version). I measure the coin at 3 mm thick. I'll weight it in the future. I am unfamiliar with "my" coin. I contacted a designer and worked with him and the mint to get it created. Does that make it a personal coin?

WSU Geocoin

Curious about the price... $35, plus $4 for postage? That's the correct price?

ouch, is this being sold as a fundraiser for something?

It's a fundraiser but NOT for a non-profit group. :)

Then who exactly is it supporting? I'm sorry if I sound like an interrogator, but I'd really like to understand the pricing on this coin.

Edited by MustangJoni

I'm going to do a workup for a simliar coin I was quoting, perhaps that might help a few of the "cost curious" :) Remember, this IS NOT the cost of this coin, just an estimate I received for one of mine.

1.5" 3mm thick bronze stamped coin, 4 color enamel antique finish, going through a vendor.

300 pcs. x $4 each = $1200

die fees x $100 each side = $200

custom icon = $150

tracking codes x $1.50 each = $450

Ciphering that out for the math challenged, that's $2000/300 = $6.67 each.

Your mileage may vary.

TMA

It could have been a design and composition that was very costly to produce :) so we'd like to see it for ourselves.

I fixed the link WSU coin link attempt 2

I'm he recipient of the fundraiser. I was making a tongue in cheek joke.

I don't know if the licensing fee public knowledge. I didn't work directly with WSU. I worked with someone who had purchased rights to the logo for resale.

This is the first coin that I've had created so I might have been over charged.

If I don't sell any then I'll lower the price. That's pretty typical in the retail business.

It could have been a design and composition that was very costly to produce ;) so we'd like to see it for ourselves.

I don't know if the licensing fee public knowledge. I didn't work directly with WSU. I worked with someone who had purchased rights to the logo for resale.

If I don't sell any then I'll lower the price. That's pretty typical in the retail business.

Okay, I hope you don't take this as mean spirited in anyway, but your coin is way too expensive for what it is. I have no idea how much you paid in licensing fees, but a typical coin sells for around $10.

You would probably sell out much faster and still make a profit if you mark it down to about $2 over your cost.

I'm going to have to agree with the majority of posts here, sorry.

You say this is your first coin - have you done any research to see what other coins have sold for? Anything above $10 generally needs to be extremely rare or unique.

Anything over $15 is rare.

Anything over that comes across as purely trying to gauge people on price.

I don't mean to be nasty, just providing some background to the questions that you are getting.

I was born in WA and have a family member that is a big Cougar fan (not into caching) and I thought about buying one for him before I saw the price. That's way out of line in my opinion, but if you actually $35 for them - more power to you.

I'm going to stop now before I start ranting about how buyers supporting this coin will only drive all coin prices up in the future, etc.... ;)

It could have been a design and composition that was very costly to produce ;) so we'd like to see it for ourselves.

SO, what we are getting from you is for nobody to buy this coin so you will drop the price :sad:

(To tell you the truth, this price is what most of us pay for a set of coins)

This maybe a good separate topic, but whom do you contact for licensing rights, like this coin or the Packers coin? I'd like to make one for my local, well known football team. (Not for $35 though :sad: )

Your price will be even higher I assume :D;) I am thinking you should charge like $1,000 for your coin . . . I it is a steep price but think about it. Sell 2 and your at break even. 1 more and 50% profit . . . . well you get it!

Seriously, licensing is really a tough problem. The amount of money they can reasonably charge for a logo is so small that it is not really worth the trouble for the organizations in general.

Okay, I hope you don't take this as mean spirited in anyway, but your coin is way too expensive for what it is. I have no idea how much you paid in licensing fees, but a typical coin sells for around $10.

You would probably sell out much faster and still make a profit if you mark it down to about $2 over your cost.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I appreciate it. The feedback has indicated that a lower price maybe needed.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I appreciate it. The feedback has indicated that a lower price maybe needed.

The big question is "What do your sales say?" With all the coin junkies on this forum, you should have sold 75-100 (and sometimes coins sell out within hours) coins yesterday.

This maybe a good separate topic, but whom do you contact for licensing rights, like this coin or the Packers coin? I'd like to make one for my local, well known football team. (Not for $35 though :sad: )

Your price will be even higher I assume :D;) I am thinking you should charge like $1,000 for your coin . . . I it is a steep price but think about it. Sell 2 and your at break even. 1 more and 50% profit . . . . well you get it!

Seriously, licensing is really a tough problem. The amount of money they can reasonably charge for a logo is so small that it is not really worth the trouble for the organizations in general.

I think you'd be surprised by how much money US colleges make off of their licensing deals. U of T made 8.2 million in royalties in 2005-06. Granted, that's less than they make from the gate at two sold out football game, but it is a fair bit of coin.

Back in '93 when I was still in school, one of my projects was going to be to design an NCAA hoops stat tracker that would automatically grab info off sports web sites. I emailed the NCAA asking if it would be possible to use team logos in my software. Their reply was a standard form for software companies with a price of $8,000 PER LOGO used in my program. Needless to say I scrapped that idea (although I did build in a function that would allow users to insert their own images :D )

The big question is "What do your sales say?" With all the coin junkies on this forum, you should have sold 75-100 (and sometimes coins sell out within hours) coins yesterday.

People have to like the coin too. I had thought $9 Canadian was a good deal for a coin, but I have yet to sell 100 of the 300 I had minted. I think, however, that a college-themed coin ought to do well if reasonably priced.

WSU Geocoin Link attempt 2

UPDATE:

Hello, I've reduced the price of the coin to $25 plus $4.00 shipping (there are no handling charges)

This coin was made in the United States of America.

the link above is still working.

UPDATE:

Hello, I've reduced the price of the coin to $25 plus $4.00 shipping (there are no handling charges)

My turn to jump in. "Made in the USA". 99% of all challenge coins and especially geocoins are made outdie the USA. Was the vendor in the USA and they get them made elsewhere?

I see the price has dropped but back to the earlier post...around $10 or $2 profit for each coin is the going rate. I sold hindged butterfly coins that needed 4 dies at a rate around $12.00 (special coin with lots of unique features).

UPDATE:

Sorry, but that is still way to expensive.

UPDATE:

Sure....... I'd love to add my 2 cents!!!! :D

....I'd be willing to buy one for $8

After you've realized you made a big mistake trying to make a 350%+ profit on these coins and you've still got 299 of them to try and sell...... email me and I will give you $8 for one.

PS....at only $2 shipping as well....

...back to you regularly scheduled joke, cause nobody will now take this coins' price seriously! B)

This reminds me of a coin a while back that was "almost gone. Reduced price! Hurry before they are gone." 2 years later and they are still selling coins. New coin sellers really need to get a grasp of how things work around here before coming in here trying to sell things. It will save you alot of pain in the wallet if you do.

This should serve as an example to any other new coin sellers. Just because you have a nice looking coin, doesn't mean everyone here is going to play dumb and pay whatever price you want. People can see when they are being ripped off and someone is just trying to make a boatload of money. For this reason, most will remember and not buy the coin at any lowered price. I for one wouldn't buy this coin at $5 at this point because I am not willing to support someone who is trying to take advantage of the community rather than being a part of the community.

At $25 you are making it that we are getting some great deal, but what you have shown is you were gouging everyone here at you even more ridiculous price before.

On the bright side, at least you will have a lot of traders that were once sold on sale at a very high price.

"UPDATE:

the link above is still working."

I'm sorry, but At $4.00 for shipping - thre MUST be a handling fee, even at $2.00 there is a handling fee ! as it is cheaper to mail 1 coin for less.

Washington State University Trackable, unactivated Geocoins

$15.00 plus $2.00 s/h

aabc2d89-5d91-4180-ac33-33fb0f584e45.jpg

Check out My activated WSU coin page to see how it looks and feels.

Sliding scale price reductions on larger purchases. Let's talk if you're interested.

Nice coin, nice to see the coins were made in the USA - what company? It is a little out of my price range but nicely done, I am really starting to like the no frills geocoin with 3-D on them.