Is this some kind of record?

mikemtn

My Travel Bug Smokey_3, which was the 109th TB to be released, has just shown up after being MIA for nearly seven years. Somehow he got to England and his travels become sort of mysterious. Anyhow, he just got found by a Cacher in England at a car boot sale. I have to guess that would be something like our garage/yard sale or flea market. It's good to see an old TB resurface after so many years. Thanks petebw. (Is there any easy accurate way to see how many of the first 109 TB's are still around?)

What I think is more amazing is that the person who bought it is a cacher. While we are a growing hobby and I know there's an active community in the UK, I still think we're in the minority....

It appears as though this TB, Wally Warhead Wally Warhead released 29 August 2002 is the oldest still in ACTIVE circulation. There are a couple that are older that are current "in" caches or in the possession of cachers but have not been logged for a long while.

I think then Smokey now thus breaks this and becomes the oldest ACTIVE since it was released in 2001.

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

It appears as though this TB, Wally Warhead Wally Warhead released 29 August 2002 is the oldest still in ACTIVE circulation. There are a couple that are older that are current "in" caches or in the possession of cachers but have not been logged for a long while.

My TB Loup Loup (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=7181) was released June 20, 2002 and has traveled just under 30,000 miles. She was just picked up this week in Latvia after spending quite a bit of time "down under."

That's pretty awesome about Smokey showing up after 7 years of being missing though. That has got ot be some sort of record!

Twigs

I don't dispute the ages of some of the caches mentioned. I purely worked on the "ID=?" of the bugs as shown by "Blue Deuce". Wally Warheas has the ID of 12. I would have surmized that was the 12th TB released but it appears that I am wrong as the 109th TB is older than #12. So, I am now presuming that the ID# refers more to the nmber itself rather than when it might have been released.

Quite amazing to see how long some TB's have been out there. It is also amazing at how low the mileage is on some of those "old timers" as well. They just don't seem to have travelled at all.

Have a caching weekend.

I don't dispute the ages of some of the caches mentioned. I purely worked on the "ID=?" of the bugs as shown by "Blue Deuce". Wally Warheas has the ID of 12. I would have surmized that was the 12th TB released but it appears that I am wrong as the 109th TB is older than #12. So, I am now presuming that the ID# refers more to the nmber itself rather than when it might have been released.

Quite amazing to see how long some TB's have been out there. It is also amazing at how low the mileage is on some of those "old timers" as well. They just don't seem to have travelled at all.

Have a caching weekend.

Well, that's why it's always best to say things like 'It appears', or 'I guess' :) I guess the ID numbers are associated to the tracking number when first issued not when activated.

Well, that's why it's always best to say things like 'It appears', or 'I guess' :( I guess the ID numbers are associated to the tracking number when first issued not when activated.

BlueDeuce - It appears that you might be correct in your assumption and I guess that what I said might have some truth as it certainly does appear that the numbers are not directly correlated to release dates. :rolleyes::)

Have a great day!

Amazing! 7 years! and purchased at a sale - that's remarkable. I sure hope that he actually places that bug....

I had a bug go missing for 35 months - then reappear when a former cacher handed it off to a friend, new cacher. It's gone missing again, naturally :) ah well....

I also read recently of one that was found by a non-cacher washed up on a beach. he created an account to record the find and "grab" the bug.

Well, that's why it's always best to say things like 'It appears', or 'I guess' :D I guess the ID numbers are associated to the tracking number when first issued not when activated.

BlueDeuce - It appears that you might be correct in your assumption and I guess that what I said might have some truth as it certainly does appear that the numbers are not directly correlated to release dates. :(:)

Have a great day!

First, congratulations, that's an amazing story. Yup. you have to have the record there.

If you look at all the TB's older than yours, I guess you'll have to do it manually. I've done this before, influenced by other threads here. Yes, I'm a geek. :D I do know the first few dozen are either owned by the CEO of Groundspeak, or were sold at an event cache in Virginia before being officially announced on the website. (Info gleaned from reading the logs of one of the very low-numbered TB's, but I can't remember which). That may explain the date discrepency? :rolleyes: