Cachers add/attach items to other cachers trackables

Dnalsi

"I believe you asked after you took the time to email the owner? Seems to me it must have really bugged YOU! "

Not bugged, like I said, I have no trackables out there, so I personally could care less. I am curious as to what is considered proper etiquette, thus the questions on this forum.

I found the coin in question yesterday. Went to log that I picked it up, and saw the added items.

I emailed the owner asking if they were supposed to be attached, and if not, asking if they should be removed.

Owner responded by asking me to remove the 2 items, and thanked me for helping her.

I then became curious if this was common practice so I went to this forum.

I understand there is no hard or fast rule regarding attaching your "stuff" to another cachers trackables.

I wanted to find out what the general geocacher community consensus would be.

I appreciate your offer to set me up with a trackable of my own. Thank You for that.

I understand your friend MaxB performs a great service to the geo trackables community.

I will respectfully decline your offer. No offense intended.

I'm sure I will have more questions in the future.

My goal is to geocache in a responsible way, thus the questions

I'm going to put my 2 cents in - we (before we knew about Max :) started a similiar service - however we:

1) always ask permission on the TB's page when we pick him up - explaining it will be his diploma - that way when others find the bug they will know we did ask. To date not one person has asked for it not to be on there. We have had lots of people very happy after seeing our pictures and web page say yes yes!!!

2) If the bug is of special significance (such as breast cancer for a mom who passed away) we do NOT attach one - as that would take away from the meaning of the item and message

3) We go out of our way to find and help bug's missions (such as finding people going to Jerusulm to take a bug that way)

4) Always supply a good batch of photos - in some cases up to 40 on one bug (ok Jordy got a bit obsessed with him)

5) We repair the bugs, we give them new baggies, print off sheets and love the little guys

6) They only get them if we've given them a really really good tour

7) We don't with coins

8) Only add if they have the standard metal chain (eg if it's zap strapped - no as that would be having to cut the original)

9) we're now moving into the era of videos with the bugs and posting them on Youtube - we've done one and working on another

We can't boast 11,000 or (think it's about 220 right now) - but our bugs that we tour with climb to the top of 7 hour hikes up mountains and see some awesome scenery at the peaks of places!

I don't take the question the wrong way - I'm glad you asked - we wanted to do this and made sure we looked into it first and my understanding was as long as you ask the owner - we're ok.

The local people like our pictures and our now handing us bugs for our tours - We currently have Trashy Barbie http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...e3-71ecbcae3834

she should be fun!

But if a person were to say no - we wouldn't add it

(another benefit is the tag hides the bugs tracking number out of the photos)

*** Slight interuption from our regularly scheduled program ***

Hey Rod, I picked up the coin I won from you in the Todie cointest and was proud to see Geopigs AND MaxB had it already! I'll be putting it out again soon so it can keep spreading the message.

Thanks again!

*** Now back to the program ***

My take on this - I don't like anything added to my TB that wasn't placed there initially by me. Period.

Seems to me, being a good, courteous *insert whatever* cacher/TB mover should mean moving the TB towards it goal in a timely manner and does not include adding any tags or items to something you don't own.

I have encountered several TBs with personal TB tags on them - to me they did nothing to help the TB in its goal but rather just served the purpose as saying the TB was moved by them. I'm gonna get flamed for this, as I'm sure those that do this mean well, but to me, it's simply TB trash and shouldn't be there. In the end, it's not my right/responsibility to add anything to a TB I don't own, and it's not my right/responsibility to remove anything either.

I dont mind seeing all the signature's attached to a TB, I even thought about drillin some of my pennies to attach to TB's when I move em.

I could easily see if EVERYONE attached a sig to a TB they would all end up looking like a unwanted keychain TB or somethin :) , but it'd still be cool to me.

I would encourage anyone to add a personalized add-on to any of my TB's

Geocoins, now guess its a little different. Unless it had a chain, I wouldnt attach anything. I have replaced coin-flips and whatnot, but theres really not much you can do without cut-outs. if it had cutouts, I wouldnt attach anything, but then again, I dont attatch sigs to travelers...If I did as common practice then I just might. Just how we play.

We all play the game differently in many aspects...we should admire the diversity of how we all play it and play how we wanna. If you wanna make sure TB's and coins are traveling at their owners wishes- So be It...Just have fun! :rolleyes:

Edited by 007BigD

Some people take TBs and then find later that they took it in the wrong direction, so the comment in the log helps them know.

So would a mission card added to the travelers' baggie. Finding a trackable in the wild without a mission card means there's no way to know where it wants to go. And as I said, checking online beforehand isn't always helpful as TBs/coins change locations fast sometimes.

Some of our coins are sent out with a mission on the webpage but not on coin itself. This mission may be altered on ithe webpage if we wish to try to "steer" it somewhere interesting or bring it back home. It is therefore vital that folks don't add tags stating it's mission at the time that they moved it on.

with all of the bugs/coins/Jeeps/etc that go missing, never to be seen again, I am just happy to see that there are some that are still out there moving around - extra little bits of paper with them or not

Amen to that, my friend!!

I think a good idea for those not wanting anything extra added to their TBs/coins is to specify this on the traveler's page! While asking first is a good idea, many don't see adding a piece of paper to a baggie (if it's a coin without a chain attached, neither of the two cachers I know would even THINK to add a hole and chain) as a big deal, just like leaving their sig card or sig item in a cache.

Truly, that's what we're talking about here, a sig card added to the baggie or chain of a traveler just like sooo many do with caches!

I do see your point uktim, but there are far too many helpful and caring TB movers out there who want to help the traveler stay in the game. As I mentioned with TMA, a coin in a flip has a lot less chance of surviving than a coin placed in a baggie with travel documents etc. Most of us movers (not myself as you will note that I don't move travelers along at all anymore simply because of all the craziness people have over an item they left out in the wild) realize the lifespan greatly increases with protective baggies and documents! Hey, it's your traveler, but you might remember you're placing it in the hands of the WORLD!

I once grabbed a TB to move along, the TB had no documents and (silly me) I didn't check before going out and grabbing it. After getting home, I see the item was supposed to stay in the state I took it out of. When I logged the item, I get this rant that I'm not being a good TB mover...OK! That and several other silly complaints soured me, so if you're hoping I'll move your item, keep dreaming! On the other hand, I placed a MICHIGAN only coin out in the wild, added papers and everything, but the second person to grab it takes it to Florida...their log stated something to the effect "moving it because I can"...did this bother me? No, glad the coin moved! Just showed me that placing silly restrictions on an item being released into the world is setting me up to be disappointed! :)

I've talked to a few cachers who've told me they don't move TBs/coins because of the same reason I don't...it's no fun for us anymore when a TB owner emails screaming about a coin going to an event, being pampered etc....you people did release it, but do you really expect it to be "yours" after you let it go?? Think about it! Do you get as angry when you notice someone has placed your traveler on their watchlist?? That is nearly the same as an electronic tag being placed onto your item! (you and yoursbeing generic here, I'm not asking any particular person)

Bottom line, you are releasing a game piece into the world, if you don't want it altered, you'd be better not even releasing it at all or at least stating no altering on the travelers' page!! Some of us realize this IS a game piece and is being released into the world with the expectation that something may actually happen to them! And yes, adding a slip of paper with your name on it is of very little concern to me!

What I find funny...people here constantly tell those whose travelers go missing "it happens", but are more anal about a slip of paper....just my humble opinion!

Flame me as you wish, I need the laughs this morning! :rolleyes::(

edited to add the emoticons so you all know I'm not upset as much as in a good mood and feel like arguing! :D So come on, tell me where I'm mistaken!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Some people take TBs and then find later that they took it in the wrong direction, so the comment in the log helps them know.

So would a mission card added to the travelers' baggie. Finding a trackable in the wild without a mission card means there's no way to know where it wants to go. And as I said, checking online beforehand isn't always helpful as TBs/coins change locations fast sometimes.

Some of our coins are sent out with a mission on the webpage but not on coin itself. This mission may be altered on ithe webpage if we wish to try to "steer" it somewhere interesting or bring it back home. It is therefore vital that folks don't add tags stating it's mission at the time that they moved it on.

I have been reading this thread with interest. But I have to add something here. If there is no tag/mission statement with the traveler how in the world am I supposed to know where it wants to go when I find it in a cache? I never check before I go out to see what travelers are in a cache so it has to have a mission statement. If there isn't any and I take it in the wrong direction then the owner has absolutely no right to rant at me. If the owner decides to change the mission then its easy to email the current holder and ask if they would print out a new mission sheet and put it with the traveler.

If there isn't any indication that the coin is a traveler I can see why some get kept. I have wondered many times if it was swag or a traveler. A simple card or printed mission sheet takes care of that.

I have been reading this thread with interest. But I have to add something here. If there is no tag/mission statement with the traveler how in the world am I supposed to know where it wants to go when I find it in a cache? I never check before I go out to see what travelers are in a cache so it has to have a mission statement. If there isn't any and I take it in the wrong direction then the owner has absolutely no right to rant at me. If the owner decides to change the mission then its easy to email the current holder and ask if they would print out a new mission sheet and put it with the traveler.

If there isn't any indication that the coin is a traveler I can see why some get kept. I have wondered many times if it was swag or a traveler. A simple card or printed mission sheet takes care of that.

Yep. If the owner didn't release their bug with a mission tag/sheet then they run the risk of someone not meeting that mission. As long as you aren't moving it some 400 miles without first checking the mission, you can only do the best you can with what you have.

Bottom line, you are releasing a game piece into the world, if you don't want it altered, you'd be better not even releasing it at all or at least stating no altering on the travelers' page!! Some of us realize this IS a game piece and is being released into the world with the expectation that something may actually happen to them! And yes, adding a slip of paper with your name on it is of very little concern to me!

What I find funny...people here constantly tell those whose travelers go missing "it happens", but are more anal about a slip of paper....just my humble opinion!

Flame me as you wish, I need the laughs this morning!

I don't buy into the "unless you specifically say not to, I can do what I want with your bug".

I have no intention of ranting at anybody. I just want to keep the missions flexible and I recognise the fact that folks may inadvertantly move a traveller in the wrong direction. I also don't expect others to have to print new mission sheets based on a change of objective.

As for mission sheets stopping coins going missing, that just doesn't add up in my mind. If you know about geocoins you'll check its page out. If you don't know about geocoins it clearly gives the tracking info on every coin I own and if someone is going to ignore this I find it hard to believe that they won't also ignore a card or mission sheet.

Part of the fun of setting geocoins travelling is the unpredictable nature of the activity. If I wanted it to be easy and predictable I'd stick them in the post :)

Edited by uktim

I have no intention of ranting at anybody. I just want to keep the missions flexible and I recognise the fact that folks may inadvertantly move a traveller in the wrong direction. I also don't expect others to have to print new mission sheets based on a change of objective.

As for mission sheets stopping coins going missing, that just doesn't add up in my mind. If you know about geocoins you'll check its page out. If you don't know about geocoins it clearly gives the tracking info on every coin I own and if someone is going to ignore this I find it hard to believe that they won't also ignore a card or mission sheet.

Part of the fun of setting geocoins travelling is the unpredictable nature of the activity. If I wanted it to be easy and predictable I'd stick them in the post :)

I have picked up coins that had absolutely NO indication they were travelers. Some were swag and some were travelers--no way to know that unless there was something to go by--at least a little card that simply says I am a traveler don't keep me. Some don't know about coins and wouldn't check to see even if there is a tracking number. Its just cool swag to them. Its much harder to ignore a mission sheet.

No one said that you yourself ranted at someone but Rod clearly has had someone do that to him and that stopped him from moving travelers at all. If someone doesn't want me to replace or put their items in a baggie and/or add a mission sheet then I will just leave it for the next cacher to find. I would like that done to my travelrs when needed so I do it to the ones I find. I have absolutely no problem with a little tag added to my tbs or the coins that I have drilled. In fact it is an honor to know that they have been on that tour.

Have you ever cached with a kid or 4? You open the cache and quickly glance over the contents, then the kids get their turns. Sure, you're watching, but I can easily see how mistakes can be made, even if the adult knows about TBs/coins. That's just one example of how a baggie and mission info would be helpful. Most adults know about TBs, they know a bagged item usually means traveler and will take note if a child grabs it.

And I don't know about you, but I'd rather not line someone else's collection without at least giving the coin a sporting chance! Unpredictible? Life is unpredictible enough without wishing my traveler was going to some wonderful new destination...in the wild! :ph34r:

Have you ever cached with a kid or 4? You open the cache and quickly glance over the contents, then the kids get their turns. Sure, you're watching, but I can easily see how mistakes can be made, even if the adult knows about TBs/coins. That's just one example of how a baggie and mission info would be helpful. Most adults know about TBs, they know a bagged item usually means traveler and will take note if a child grabs it.

And I don't know about you, but I'd rather not line someone else's collection without at least giving the coin a sporting chance! Unpredictible? Life is unpredictible enough without wishing my traveler was going to some wonderful new destination...in the wild! :ph34r:

We do all our caching with a toddler. It's our responsibility to keep an eye on what she's doing, with or without tatty plastic bags to help us.

It's usually a case of trying persuade her that she doesn't really want to trade for a 1/2" pencil stub, a broken clothes pegs or a dead leaf that is lying on the floor by the cache :)

We do all our caching with a toddler. It's our responsibility to keep an eye on what she's doing, with or without tatty plastic bags to help us.

It's usually a case of trying persuade her that she doesn't really want to trade for a 1/2" pencil stub, a broken clothes pegs or a dead leaf that is lying on the floor by the cache :)

And I wouldn't doubt you do a good job of being watchful and protective. I just doubt everyone is like you!

I would add that I did get jumped all over by more than one ranting owner, but there were other reasons fro my quitting too. A big part!

I would say about 95% of the trackable items that I have found in caches have not had any kind of mission tag included with them. I love trackable items because I like to see where they have been and who has found them before me, so I usually pick them up when I find one in a cache. When I am traveling, I generally don't plan out exactly what caches I will find. I am not that tech-savvy, so I just download a bunch of caches into my GPS and go from there. I don't always have clues, info sheets, or a list of which caches may have TBs or coins in them. If I happen to find a traveler, I usually pick it up because I know I can give it some miles. This can sometimes be a problem though if it doesn't have a mission tag, because I may not be going in the same direction that the TBs wants to travel, but by the time I figure that out, it is usually too late.

I did just get a TB that had been bagged and tagged by the Geopigs and I think they did an excellent job with it. There was a laminated tag attached to the TB. One side of the tag read in big letters: Congratulations you have find a trackable item and it also listed the name of the TB and a photo. The back of the laminated tag was a printout of the info page that appeared on the TBs home page. In small letters on the bottom of the tag it said Mission Card courtesy of the Geopigs.

When the next person finds that TB in the cache, there is no doubt that it is a trackable TB and what its mission is.

It is it is common geocaching etiquette that no one should be attaching anything to anyone's trackable item, without first asking the owner's permission to do so. If there is no reply from the owner, nothing should be added. This includes plastic bags, and laminated tags. Ask first. It's a nice gesture, but the owner may not want it traveling that way. If it has lost its tag, or baggie, then sure, replace it. But if it didn't start out with one, ask first. Adding your own tags, or something personal of your own ALWAYS requires prior permission. Finding someone's trackable, with someone else's information on it, can confuse matters. Leave other people's trackables in the same condition as they were sent out. Unless that trackable item is asking for additions, nothing should be added without asking, and receiving an answer. There are a few people out there who add stuff to every bug they see without asking. They shouldn't do that, it's not their trackable.

It is it is common geocaching etiquette that no one should be attaching anything to anyone's trackable item, without first asking the owner's permission to do so. If there is no reply from the owner, nothing should be added. This includes plastic bags, and laminated tags. Ask first. It's a nice gesture, but the owner may not want it traveling that way. If it has lost its tag, or baggie, then sure, replace it. But if it didn't start out with one, ask first. Adding your own tags, or something personal of your own ALWAYS requires prior permission. Finding someone's trackable, with someone else's information on it, can confuse matters. Leave other people's trackables in the same condition as they were sent out. Unless that trackable item is asking for additions, nothing should be added without asking, and receiving an answer. There are a few people out there who add stuff to every bug they see without asking. They shouldn't do that, it's not their trackable.

What about the MEGA events and other bigger events where you're REQUIRED to bag and label a traveler before dropping it off? Why do you suppose these venues require this?? Why do the PTB (who I would say KNOW this is going onas they often attend these events) not put a stop to this? My guess, because most everyone who's owned trackables, knows adding protection is the best way to assure a travelers safe and continued movement??

Can I ask, how would you KNOW it didn't have a baggie to begin with?? I've seen TONS of trackables out there without baggies, no mission statements or anything, we're to email every single owner and ask?? I'm guessing this will cause more trouble than good! Imagine...first, cacher A picks up a traveler without a baggie, emails owner who says "hey, sounds good, bag it and tag it". Then, cacher B, who is a hater of baggies picks it up, is concerned about the bag and emails the owner who then says "I told them to bag it". Then cacher C, who read this thread and is curious about the baggie.....when do you think the owner will get tired of this?? Same with the tags. When do owners decide getting emails asking the same question over and over say "enough"? When do the movers who get yelled at for moving a traveler in the wrong direction, place it in an event etc, say "enough"? :)

Maybe there should be a section added stating "safest ways to release travelers"? If the owners only do as they see (same as with hiding caches), many might not even KNOW how to protect their item! I'm of the "it takes a village to raise a child" mentality, I'm of the overly-protective mindset...and I'm sure I'm not alone! If I saw some child walking about without a jacket on a cold wintery day, I'd not ask the parents if it's OK to give him/her one! Some people just see adding a baggie or mission card as being helpful, and wouldn't imagine an owner being upset when someone is helpful! Many might not even know or realize some people like to "live life dangerously" with their travelers??

At any rate, no worries about me! :ph34r:

It's a game, you're releasing a GAME PIECE! The "unpredictible" happens, there truly aren't THAT many courteous players in this game! :ph34r:

You've just given me an idea for my next cointest... :ph34r:

We collected a fair few travellers, coins & TB's which we took on our recent trip out of OZ, any that did not have mission tags we made laminated tags, and coins had a laminated card with all the details put in the flips. We do not like to pick up a traveller and not know what it's intended mission is, so we made sure all of the ones we took were accounted for. We also brought some back, but not all were marked so it was a little confuseing when dropping them off again. We were away when the MaxB gang called in to SA and attended the pub lunch, would have liked to meet them, they sure get around, and move a lot of travellers. We only did a few and it was hard work, so we are in awe of these guys.

We'd like to think others look after our traveller's like we try to look after others, and make sure they get around.

Cheers

Gayle & Mark

What about the MEGA events and other bigger events where you're REQUIRED to bag and label a traveler before dropping it off? Why do you suppose these venues require this?? Why do the PTB (who I would say KNOW this is going onas they often attend these events) not put a stop to this? My guess, because most everyone who's owned trackables, knows adding protection is the best way to assure a travelers safe and continued movement??

Can I ask, how would you KNOW it didn't have a baggie to begin with?? I've seen TONS of trackables out there without baggies, no mission statements or anything, we're to email every single owner and ask?? I'm guessing this will cause more trouble than good! Imagine...first, cacher A picks up a traveler without a baggie, emails owner who says "hey, sounds good, bag it and tag it". Then, cacher B, who is a hater of baggies picks it up, is concerned about the bag and emails the owner who then says "I told them to bag it". Then cacher C, who read this thread and is curious about the baggie.....when do you think the owner will get tired of this?? Same with the tags. When do owners decide getting emails asking the same question over and over say "enough"? When do the movers who get yelled at for moving a traveler in the wrong direction, place it in an event etc, say "enough"? :)

Maybe there should be a section added stating "safest ways to release travelers"? If the owners only do as they see (same as with hiding caches), many might not even KNOW how to protect their item! I'm of the "it takes a village to raise a child" mentality, I'm of the overly-protective mindset...and I'm sure I'm not alone! If I saw some child walking about without a jacket on a cold wintery day, I'd not ask the parents if it's OK to give him/her one! Some people just see adding a baggie or mission card as being helpful, and wouldn't imagine an owner being upset when someone is helpful! Many might not even know or realize some people like to "live life dangerously" with their travelers??

At any rate, no worries about me! :lol:

It's a game, you're releasing a GAME PIECE! The "unpredictible" happens, there truly aren't THAT many courteous players in this game! :)

You've just given me an idea for my next cointest... :lol:

That's why we ask first, in case they just didn't know. But some will not be happy if you change their trackable on them without asking. As for mega events, I'd even ask the owner if they minded if their coin was dropped at a mega event. A lot might say "NOOOOoooo! Please don't do that, I'll never see it again! Can you please just drop it in a real cache near the event, instead? Or hand it directly to a reliable cacher?"

Take a look at archived events and see how many trackables are still languishing, just waiting to be logged out.

I picked up a coin yesterday that had 2 of these tags in the bag along with the coin .This was the first time I had personally seen them and was unaware of what they were. I came here to start a thread asking advice and found this one just before I did .

After reading the thread and seeing the division of opinion heres what I did -

I emailed the owner of the coin and told him that I had his coin and that these 2 items were in the bag along with it . I wanted him to know that they were there as I could find no reference to them on the coin's page. I don't know if the people who put the tags there told the owner or not - I was letting him know they were there. I then asked him what he wanted me to do - if he was happy about them being there I would take no further action and move the coin on as soon as possible .

If he was not happy about the tags I offered to do one of 2 things for him . I would either remove the tags and dispose of them or I would mail them to him so he could keep them or dispose of them . I am waiting for his reply and will abide by his wishes .

As to an owner getting repeat emails about what to do re bags,mission statements etc all they have to do is put a line on their travellers page saying -

This coin was released with / without a flip/bag/ mission statement and I do /don't want extra's attached to it.

That works for me because I always bring a new /unexpected TB or Coin home so that I can look it up and then decide how I can help it on it's way.

I think I've done the correct thing - I have informed the owner and will carry out his wishes when he replies .

Am I right or wrong?

We'll have to agree to disagree as I see this going in circles. Care to guess how many people have even read that guideline?? The OP obviously didn't, or they'd never have had to post the question! I've never read it, and I've moved a lot of travelers before quitting! :)

It's a game piece being released into the wild, it's supposed to be for fun! :lol:

Remember Tommy Trojan? At least they had the marbles to let you know what they expected of the person moving the item...right on a mission sheet which was in the baggie the bug/coin was in! At least when they emailed complaining, they had cause to! :)

I picked up a coin yesterday that had 2 of these tags in the bag along with the coin .This was the first time I had personally seen them and was unaware of what they were. I came here to start a thread asking advice and found this one just before I did .

I emailed the owner of the coin and told him that I had his coin and that these 2 items were in the bag along with it . I wanted him to know that they were there as I could find no reference to them on the coin's page. I don't know if the people who put the tags there told the owner or not - I was letting him know they were there. I then asked him what he wanted me to do - if he was happy about them being there I would take no further action and move the coin on as soon as possible .

If he was not happy about the tags I offered to do one of 2 things for him . I would either remove the tags and dispose of them or I would mail them to him so he could keep them or dispose of them . I am waiting for his reply and will abide by his wishes .

As to an owner getting repeat emails about what to do re bags,mission statements etc all they have to do is put a line on their travellers page saying -

This coin was released with / without a flip/bag/ mission statement and I do /don't want extra's attached to it.

That works for me because I always bring a new /unexpected TB or Coin home so that I can look it up and then decide how I can help it on it's way.

I think I've done the correct thing - I have informed the owner and will carry out his wishes when he replies .

Am I right or wrong?

According to the guidelines, you did as you were supposed to. Hey, imagine the very next cacher finding it without a baggie (or with as the owner's decision may be)....vicious circle! :)

I'd guess the owner of the item you have didn't realize they had to list an inventory and specific do's and don'ts....but is learning now, since you've emailed them! :)

When does it stop being fun? :lol:

Am I right or wrong?

According to the guidelines, you did as you were supposed to. Hey, imagine the very next cacher finding it without a baggie (or with as the owner's decision may be)....vicious circle! :)

I'd guess the owner of the item you have didn't realize they had to list an inventory and specific do's and don'ts....but is learning now, since you've emailed them! :)

When does it stop being fun? :lol:

If the line "This coin was released with / without a flip/bag/ mission statement and I do /don't want extra's attached to it." was on the mission statment / page the next cacher would not have to ask.

How hard would it be and how long would it take ? A max of 5 minutes per TB not in my opinion a big change and no longer than it would take to reply to an email.

Your comment on lists and inventories blows what I said out of proportion . 5 minutes per TB/ coin would sort this whole problem out.

When does it stop being fun ? When people can't see and recognise a sensible idea for what it is .

Am I right or wrong?

According to the guidelines, you did as you were supposed to. Hey, imagine the very next cacher finding it without a baggie (or with as the owner's decision may be)....vicious circle! :lol:

I'd guess the owner of the item you have didn't realize they had to list an inventory and specific do's and don'ts....but is learning now, since you've emailed them! :lol:

When does it stop being fun? :)

If the line "This coin was released with / without a flip/bag/ mission statement and I do /don't want extra's attached to it." was on the mission statment / page the next cacher would not have to ask.

How hard would it be and how long would it take ? A max of 5 minutes per TB not in my opinion a big change and no longer than it would take to reply to an email.

Your comment on lists and inventories blows what I said out of proportion . 5 minutes per TB/ coin would sort this whole problem out.

When does it stop being fun ? When people can't see and recognise a sensible idea for what it is .

Really...5 minutes, huh? Imagine having 100 TBs/coins...at 5 minutes per. Now, imagine that number at 1000 travelers...yep, sounds like the fun is slowly going out of releasing travelers to me! What makes you think the owner wanted to "have to reply to an email" in the first place? What makes you think the owner wanted to have to list that "this travler is void of tags, bags and mission statements...or go back and add it to every single traveler?

As I said, when does it stop being fun? :lol:

A sensible idea? Really? Sensible to you, or the traveler owner?? :lol: Eartha say's to email the owner whenever we plan to drop a traveler into an event (not sure if that's simply MEGAs or not, but MEGAs have a much better track record than smaller events IMHO...and I can show examples if you need them), to email if we see tags, bags etc, so for your idea to work the owner would indeed need to make a list of do's and don'ts as well as an inventory, or face getting emails like yours....sounds like great fun for both the finder and the owners!

oh, and no need to get all wrinkled about this, you asked and I answered...I wasn't being mean. Maybe if I'd have answered with what you wanted to hear?? :D I used my emoticons, relax a bit! :D:):)

Am I right or wrong?

According to the guidelines, you did as you were supposed to. Hey, imagine the very next cacher finding it without a baggie (or with as the owner's decision may be)....vicious circle! :lol:

I'd guess the owner of the item you have didn't realize they had to list an inventory and specific do's and don'ts....but is learning now, since you've emailed them! :D

When does it stop being fun? :)

Really...5 minutes, huh? Imagine having 100 TBs/coins...at 5 minutes per. Now, imagine that number at 1000 travelers...yep, sounds like the fun is slowly going out of releasing travelers to me! What makes you think the owner wanted to "have to reply to an email" in the first place? What makes you think the owner wanted to have to list that "this travler is void of tags, bags and mission statements...or go back and add it to every single traveler?

As I said, when does it stop being fun? :lol:

A sensible idea? Really? Sensible to you, or the traveler owner?? :) Eartha say's to email the owner whenever we plan to drop a traveler into an event (not sure if that's simply MEGAs or not, but MEGAs have a much better track record than smaller events IMHO...and I can show examples if you need them), to email if we see tags, bags etc, so for your idea to work the owner would indeed need to make a list of do's and don'ts as well as an inventory, or face getting emails like yours....sounds like great fun for both the finder and the owners!

oh, and no need to get all wrinkled about this, you asked and I answered...I wasn't being mean. Maybe if I'd have answered with what you wanted to hear?? :D I used my emoticons, relax a bit! :D:):)

Rockin Roddy just so we are clear - I cache for fun . I'm happy and content with my life . I don't send emails to "face get". I am relaxed here - I thought I saw a solution to a problem and I offered it up .

Again your blowing it up out of all proportion - a look at your trackable list shows 2 TB's . It would take you 10 minutes to add the info if you wished to( actually 5 because one seems to be missing) - you may not want to- fine by me .Others may think its a good idea and do it . I don't want it set in stone and made into a cast iron rule - it was a sugestion.

I want to hear honest sensible answers to my questions - I don't need or want to be shot down in flames - but I'm also big enough and smart enough not to let it get to me .This is my last post on the subject I dont need the hassle. Feel free to shoot me down in flames - I'll look in and read it but I won't reply to it again. ;):lol::lol:

When does it stop being fun ?- About now for me . How about you?

I have only ever seen this once, and while I don't want to rock the boat because I really do respect Rockin Roddy, I do have a little bit to add.

The one time I saw this, it was added to a travel bug and with the business card and the 1.5cm boundary of laminate. There was two things added, a certificate and a number.

The added items were 2 or 3 times larger than the travel bug. I was going to take it but I cache in the city and it would not have fit in most caches I go.

I had to leave the travel bug in the cache (I think it's still there) because it was too large to move to a smaller cache because of what the non-owner added.

The purpose of the travel bug was severely hindered by what was done to it without permission.

If it's done without doing this, I think it's great and fine!

Rockin Roddy just so we are clear - I cache for fun . I'm happy and content with my life . I don't send emails to "face get". I am relaxed here - I thought I saw a solution to a problem and I offered it up .

Again your blowing it up out of all proportion - a look at your trackable list shows 2 TB's . It would take you 10 minutes to add the info if you wished to( actually 5 because one seems to be missing) - you may not want to- fine by me .Others may think its a good idea and do it . I don't want it set in stone and made into a cast iron rule - it was a sugestion.

I want to hear honest sensible answers to my questions - I don't need or want to be shot down in flames - but I'm also big enough and smart enough not to let it get to me .This is my last post on the subject I dont need the hassle. Feel free to shoot me down in flames - I'll look in and read it but I won't reply to it again. :lol::):lol:

When does it stop being fun ?- About now for me . How about you?

2 huh...did you look at my coins too?? Or were we only talking about TBs...and only about me?? And only about now??

We shouldn't have needed a solution, but when you're now starting to email people because you feel the need to varify if a tag is supposed to be attached or not, or if it's supposed to have a bag or not or whatever, yes, I guess we do! That's why the OP bothered me too, I knew others would then start emailing owners upon seeing this, wasn't wrong so far!

Leave well enough alone would be my call, but some will still feel the need to ask! :)

eta: you're right, no fun. Going to play around on my night cache a bit!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Basically, people send out trackables. They set them up, when they release them, the way they want them. If they don't add a goal tag, chances are that trackable just wants to travel....anywhere. If they want a specific mission for their trackable, chances are they stipulated that on the trackable page, and added a goal tag. If they did have a goal, and didn't add a goal tag, and you aren't headed that way, any cache will do to drop it off. It doesn't mean you have to leave the trackable behind. Nobody expects one cacher to complete the goal for the trackable, they put them out there to see how and where they travel. Sometimes the most circuitous route is the most fun. Making all kinds of rules takes the fun out of it. This is why the only rule for a TB (or geocoin) is the one the owner sets for it. People adding things to other people's item can muddy the waters, making other people think the item belongs to the person who added to tag, and not the real owner. If it isn't yours, don't change it (unless asked to do so), and if you feel so strongly that you need to change someone else's trackable, ask first, and get an answer before doing so. It's that simple.

Basically, people send out trackables. They set them up, when they release them, the way they want them. If they don't add a goal tag, chances are that trackable just wants to travel....anywhere. If they want a specific mission for their trackable, chances are they stipulated that on the trackable page, and added a goal tag. If they did have a goal, and didn't add a goal tag, and you aren't headed that way, any cache will do to drop it off. It doesn't mean you have to leave the trackable behind. Nobody expects one cacher to complete the goal for the trackable, they put them out there to see how and where they travel. Sometimes the most circuitous route is the most fun. Making all kinds of rules takes the fun out of it. This is why the only rule for a TB (or geocoin) is the one the owner sets for it. People adding things to other people's item can muddy the waters, making other people think the item belongs to the person who added to tag, and not the real owner. If it isn't yours, don't change it (unless asked to do so), and if you feel so strongly that you need to change someone else's trackable, ask first, and get an answer before doing so. It's that simple.

Oh believe me, I remember how they work!! :lol: I also remember very well the emails from the irate owner demanding I return the TB "immediately". Yeah, that'll get me moving to help you out! :)

Also, adding a tag might make someone think it belonged to the tagger? How? The TB page clearly name's the owner! And, what difference would it make if it did confuse the mover? (just curious as I'm not seeing that as a problem, I'm almost always confused :lol:)

And I do agree, ask, it's simple. Where I have the problem here is someone emailing an owner because they are curious about a TB/coin they don't even own! If it happens enough, there could be problems, and seeings it's happened twice now and only because of curiousity, I question it!

Wouldn't a better solution to emailing the owner (if you feel so strongly as to ask about a tag, bag or whatever) be to leave a comment in your log? It still gets to the owner, yet not so intrusive as emailing directly. :lol: I personally wouldn't be bothered by a tag enough to email, leave a comment in a log or even think twice about seeing it, but I suppose some feel the need, so a simple log entry saying "hey, there's a crazy MaxB tag on your traveler" or "baggie is ripped"...you know, like we do with a cache needing maintenance, that might work? Just a thought!

And TropicalParidise, as I stated before, I'm loving just to debate this, no skin off my back side either way kiddo! You should never worry to speak your opinion, my friend, I may not agree, but we're still friends in the end!! :lol: Sometimes, I just speak my mind a little strong! :)

I have seen where a tag HAS been the cause of me not to leave a TB/coin in a certain cache...and it did happen to be a MaxB tag at that! I didn't worry about it though as I knew I could leave it elsewhere!! I understand what you're saying though!!

And I do agree, ask, it's simple. Where I have the problem here is someone emailing an owner because they are curious about a TB/coin they don't even own! If it happens enough, there could be problems, and seeings it's happened twice now and only because of curiousity, I question it!

You're losing me here.

You're losing me here.

I'd always ask if I were to want to add something, but I'd never bother to ask about something already added. It's really nothing that I should be concerned about! Emailing an owner just because I wondered if the tag (already in place) bothered them, that seems a bit TB policeish to me! And IF I were so very concerned about someone else's traveler, I'd merely add my concerns in my log, not be so bold as to email personally. I mean, is it really any of my business to begin with???

You're losing me here.

I'd always ask if I were to want to add something, but I'd never bother to ask about something already added. It's really nothing that I should be concerned about! Emailing an owner just because I wondered if the tag (already in place) bothered them, that seems a bit TB policeish to me! And IF I were so very concerned about someone else's traveler, I'd merely add my concerns in my log, not be so bold as to email personally. I mean, is it really any of my business to begin with???

Thank you. That makes better sense. I agree that you are not obligated to get involved with something of this sort, or that simply posting a log would suffice. Of course the bug owner would have to engage another cacher to assist them with removing an unwanted tag. I have contacted a person who told me that they are okay with leaving it on, so I did. And I could understand that if every subsequent finder contacted the owner to see if they wanted the tag left in place it could be a tad bit annoying.

Still, not a reason to go ahead and alter someone’s TB. In fact it speaks against it.

Edited by BlueDeuce

You're losing me here.

Thank you. That makes better sense. I agree that you are not obligated to get involved with something of this sort, or that simply posting a log would suffice. Of course the bug owner would have to engage another cacher to assist them with removing an unwanted tag. I have contacted a person who told me that they are okay with leaving it on, so I did. And I could understand that if every subsequent finder contacted the owner to see if they wanted the tag left in place it could be a tad bit annoying.

Still, not a reason to go ahead and alter someone’s TB. In fact it speaks against it.

I think we're in agreement here, my friend! :) I still say that adding a simple tag is no more than leaving a sig card for the owner, some people do collect those! Asking first is best though!

If you put your concerns in your retrieved log, the owner might just have the time to ask for any assistance, or could leave a log asking the removal, addition or whatever! At any rate those trying to be good samaritans know they did their part while not directly bothering the owner!

We just picked up a tb from a cache that had been lost for some time,,decided to come back to the wild,, the message on the tb page said to e mail them,, so I did ,, and they sent out a new copy of the copy,,lol

the tags being spoke of here are attached,,they would like me to send them the tb tag back,,so I will gladly add the tb tags from Max B and Lost Scouts s.m.t.b.p. to our personal collection of sig items,,:D

with out having to deprive the tb of the tags,we have been granted the unusual gift of adding these tags to our collection of sigs,,to have10,500 tbs moved is crazy numbers,,not to mention the 12 million miles,,

if i moved this many tbs,,not to mention the time spent to log that many,,,i may add a card too ,,with permission of course!!

thx max b and lost scouts!!