Banned subjects

mcwomble

In defence of Graculus and as originator of this thread

i) My original submission was reviewed and I took Graculus's points on board and rewrote significant parts of it - one paragraph was omitted and two more rewritten.

Having had Graculus's subsequent response to the original submission I can fully understand the reasons why, what I had originally submitted were unadmissable.

ii) I resubmitted what I thought was a meek and mild version and sat awaiting Graculus' comments & response.

iii) This resubmission was picked up by Deceangi and was again rejected requiring me to make the published alteration. It was that alteration to what seemed to me an already meek and mild, which annoyed me somewhat and in a fit of pique I posted to the forums. I shouldn't have done, as many have pointed out, put it down to being a newbie!

My original intention behind the forum post was not to attack the decision but to

i) try and discover why some memorials (eg war memorials) are considered politically correct enough to be mentioned in cache reports whilst others are not and

ii) whether the incorrect versions ever become PC and is it a case of just passing time or numbers dead.

In both cases they commemorate the fact that people lost their lives and to me I distinguish no difference.

Since this thread has wandered off topic into an attack on the reviewers I wish I hadn't bothered with the boards and just kept quiet.

I cannot help but wonder if had I submitted the meek & mild version first including the reference to the shootings whether it would have been accepted without any fuss and whether the original submission had in all naive innocence raised the collective hackles. We'll never know, but I've learnt patience for next time.

I agree with the sentiment that this thread should be closed now.

Many thanks

James

(mcwomble)

My original intention behind the forum post was not to attack the decision but to

i) try and discover why some memorials (eg war memorials) are considered politically correct enough to be mentioned in cache reports whilst others are not and

ii) whether the incorrect versions ever become PC and is it a case of just passing time or numbers dead.

In both cases they commemorate the fact that people lost their lives and to me I distinguish no difference.

We're still trying to discover the answers to your perfectly valid questions but the reviewers won't explain. Until they do I can only conclude that mention of historical events on cache pages has now joined the long and ever-growing list of unwritten UK-specific prohibitions.

Since this thread has wandered off topic into an attack on the reviewers I wish I hadn't bothered with the boards and just kept quiet.

I cannot help but wonder if had I submitted the meek & mild version first including the reference to the shootings whether it would have been accepted without any fuss and whether the original submission had in all naive innocence raised the collective hackles. We'll never know, but I've learnt patience for next time.

I can't see any posts which could be interpreted as "an attack on the reviewers".

Thanks for posting this thread, which has helped open up some useful dialogue.