COINTEST: Pumpkins Turn to Jack O Lanterns!

ELTADA

In the spirit of Halloween, I would like to hold my very first cointest!

My husband carved an amazing pumpkin tonight in preparation for Halloween tomorrow (see below). So I would like to see other people's works of art on their very own pumpkin. I wonder if there will be any geocaching themed ones??

The rules:

1. One entry post per person (you can post comments or questions in addition to your entry)

2. Please only post pictures of jack o lanterns that you have created (or someone in your household has created)

3. Cointest will run until November 1st at 12 noon EST (my time) -- hopefully to give you time to take pictures and post.

4. My husband will be the judge and his ruling is final

5. I reserve the right to adjust the rules as necessary (since this is my first cointest!)

The winner will receive an unactivated Caching Memories geocoin -- I thought it was fitting because half the challenge is to get a picture of your pumpkin all aglow! Takes a bit of photography skill. I will be off to bed now but will check back in the morning to see if there are any questions.

Good Luck!

222949.jpg

Edited by ELTADA

Hello to all!!

My dear friend Eltada!!! Congrats for your first cointest, and thank you! B)

I wish I could play to, but we do not have Halloween here in Greece! :)

We only have the carnival on February!

So, no pumpkins here, no spooky things, nothing.... ;) Well, almost nothing! I eat sugar corns that were gifted to me! Does this count?? :mad:

Unfortunatelly, I do not have any photos to show! I will just place one that I found in the net, (even if that will disqualify me), becasue I liked it a lot and has a Kitten on it! :mad:

peek-a-boo_kitty.jpg

Happy Halloween to all!!!

Hello Eltada & Family! Thank you for this nice cointest! :)

Here in the Netherlands celebrating Halloween isn't very common yet, but it's becoming more and more popular, especially among young people.

My wife and I do have pumpkins in our autumn garden, but we don't have a pumpkin turned into a Jack O Lantern. So . . . no picture of it either! And no participation in your cointest!

But I do have a nice picture of pumpkins that have become heads and that even show very human behaviour! I'd like to share this funny picture with everybody on these forums. It's called:

Keep your beer, wine and spirits away from your pumpkins!

HappyHalloween.jpg

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYBODY!

well I carved this pumpkin before I read about the cointest. Got home from work tonight and realized we hadn't carved our pumpkins yet! Carved it up, then we were talking about if anyone had done any other geocaching themed pumpkins, did a search on the forums, and this thread came up! So, here is my unplanned entry. I might get around to uploading a better photo if I have time:

n504744010_1009401_8213.jpg

Thanks for the coin test! I was not feeling well this year so while we usually get all into the pumpkin carving experience, this year was pretty mild. So, I post it here not because it is impressive but, because I had never seen a "Kilroy" pumpkin before :) . It is actually three small pumpkins side by side ;)

60516779-8092-4eac-8ae2-d81729b7a826.jpg

The only way I could figure out to post a picture was to upload one to my gc.com gallery and then link it..... is there another way?

When I first started reading the forum, I had a hard time learning how to post an image. I will review the steps below for any newbies (or lurkers) who want to participate but don't know how to post a picture. Maybe it will help in other cointest/mission threads too.

1. You need to upload your picture to the web. I use DropShots but many use other sites like Shutterfly, KodakGallery, etc.

2. Open up the picture you have saved on the web as big as it will go and right click on it. Scroll down the menu that pops up to "Properties" and select that. You will see a window that is labelled "General". You will see a section that's called: Address (URL). Copy this url (should start with http and end with jpg -- most likely)

3. Start a post in the forum under the appropriate thread and click on the insert image button at the top of your post (it is shaped like a tree, to the right of the "insert email" button).

4. If a window pops up that says "You must enter a URL" (or something along those lines), you may have a pop up blocker on (I do and this confused me for awhile). You will need to temporarily turn this off to post an image. (for my browser, there is a bar at the top that says "This website is using a scripted window to ask you for information. If you trust this website, click here to allow scripted windows..." -- click it and select "Temporarily Allow Scripted Windows". Repeat step 3.

5. A window will pop up and prompt you to enter a URL...paste the URL of the image into the box. Making sure that you replace the http:// with your whole URL that you copied from your photo hosting website. It should start with http and end with jpg (most likely). Click on OK and your image should be inserted.

6. You can preview your post to see if the image is there before adding it to the thread.

If someone tries this and it doesn't work for them (or can see an error without trying it!)...please let me know.

Hopefully it is clear and will help someone!

Good evening and greetings from germany!

We also celebrate Halloween for a few years. So, here are my very first own Halloween pumpkins. Please are merciful, this was really my first attempt :) I know that I have no chance, but I hope that this ones makes you smile ;) I made them for my aunt and she was so happy

I love the flaming one from joefrog!!!!

kuerbis.JPG

kuerbis2.JPG

kuerbis3.jpg

Nothing fancy here. I just got home from work at 6:30 pm and cut this one out freehand in about 5 minutes - no drawn lines to follow, no pattern - just a quick & dirty freehand pumpkin carving. ;)

pumpkin002.jpg

Next year, if I have more time, I'll do better. :sad: But don't count on it. I frehanded last year's pumpkin too....

CF30

Oh, I can't tell you how much I am really enjoying all of your pictures! Halloween is my favorite holiday (yes even before Christmas) and I wasn't sure if it was celebrated in Australia or not. Well, I can tell you that it mostly is not. I took the kids around last night and they ended up with cough drops and muesli bars. It was a sad night for everyone as I did not do my carving this year either. I don't have last years pics as our computer is being shipped so it really is a treat for me to see these!

Thank you!!

We all carve pumpkins, except this year I was afflicted with a severe case of laziness, so I'll show mine from last year:

Jennifer's pumpkin (mom):

pumpkin08_jen.jpg

Jakob's pumpkin, age 12. We'll see if anyone recognizes his theme:

pumpkin08_jakob.jpg

Kristin's pumpkin, age 15. (A book she is currently obsessed with):

pumpkin08_kristin.jpg

Finally, my pumpkin from last year (on the left):

pumpkins.jpg

Cheers!

My husband reviewed the entries and he had a very tough time deciding on a winner.

He finally decided and the coin goes to.....

danoshimano!

CONGRATS! Could you please send me your address please?

(Honorable mention goes to tadpole379 as my hubby really liked your carvings too -- if you could send me your address as well, I don't have a coin right now but I would like to send you a runner's up prize)

Thanks for playing along everyone!

ELTADA

My husband reviewed the entries and he had a very tough time deciding on a winner.

He finally decided and the coin goes to.....

danoshimano!

CONGRATS! Could you please send me your address please?

(Honorable mention goes to tadpole379 as my hubby really liked your carvings too -- if you could send me your address as well, I don't have a coin right now but I would like to send you a runner's up prize)

Thanks for playing along everyone!

ELTADA

Thanks for the cointest!! I love to carve pumpkins, and it is cool to see everyone else's too! :)

email on the way!