May Long Weekend - 3 day event in BC

240 Jordy

N 49° 32.483 W 120° 44.300 - Tulameen, BC - May long weekend (3 day event). I have posted this on the www.bcgeocaching.com forums as well.

If you would like to come - please post as soon as event is published, if you have any questions please contact us at tulameenturtles@shaw.ca

Can not have event posted til 3 months before

Event is over the May Long Weekend! Starting Friday going til Sunday (or Monday if you'll stay!) Yes I know we're posting it very early - but want to ensure people can make their vacation plans - watch this page for future updates. Terrain rating will be based on what you make it - but to get to the event is a 1 with a 2. Geowoodstock VII is not on the same weekend - so you can do both events!

A 3 day caching event in the beautiful Tulameen, Coalmont, Blakeburn area.

We recommend arriving on Friday as activities will begin then. Caching will run from Friday through to Sunday and prizes given out Sunday night over the campfire. More information will be able to be seen on our blog as the event evolves. We are working with the author of the local history book on Blakeburn to highlight some of the area’s most prominent history.

You are then free on Monday to either finish caching in the area or head home.

The couch is spoken for (yes Scruff reserved for you)! However we do have space on our land for those who are tenting.

There are 2 inns that are in the area:

1. Mozey On Inn (Coalmont) (visit link)

2. Otter Inn (Tulameen) (visit link)

There is a provincial campground as well, or if you are used to "outback camping" millions of places in the area you can set up your tent or trailer (and no it won't rattle off it's attachment to your vehicles on most of the roads)

This event will be run similar to a Poker Run - we're still working out the final details, however will NOT be time based.

You will be searching for the existing caches in the area, and approximately 15-20 new caches that will be placed for the event. We are hoping that snow will be gone by that time for the higher elevation caches.

Caches will consist of 4 categories - of which you're welcome to them all:

1. Easy Drive up Caches that a Honda Civic can get to and no major hiking and very family (young kid) friendly

2. Caches that you require a stock 4x4 to get to

3. Caches that require you to hike approximately 1-2 KM to claim

4. Caches that you require a modified 4x4 to get to

Now if you're thinking I'll just go get as many of the easier ones I can to increase my odds - well we're putting a twist on it - if you spend the time on the more difficult ones you'll get more points for those.

There will be:

1. Traditional Caches

2. At least 1 Multi Cache

3. At least 1 puzzle Cache

4. At least 1 Letterbox Hybrid Cache

5. Caches with Terrain ratings from 1-5

6. Caches with difficulty ratings from 1-5

7. (no you can not fill every grid rating lol at we are not placing 87 caches)

If you are planning on doing any caches other then the Honda Civic ones you will be required to bring (and show us prior to getting your list) the following:

1. Bear Spray

2. Hand Held Radio(no not the am fm type silly)

3. First Aid Kit

4. Flashlights

5. Spare GPS Batteries

6. Who you are pairing up with (we would like to see a minimum of 3 cachers per team for these, 2 vehicles if going the 4x4 route - not mandatory but requested)

7. You must check in with us at the end of each day you are caching - we don't want to have go rescue someone who isn't lost (that's why the radios are necessary)

We hope to see you there, please contact us if you have any questions. We are posting this early as many people are already making their holiday plans. Admission will be by donation of a prize.

Dinner will be by potluck and all caches will be able to be turned into smilies

For those of us who live down in the states who would consider coming to this (I'm always looking for a n excuse to load up on Malteasers), what are the dates? Your holidays are different than ours! :)

eta: would anyone be willing to take on a pair of cachers from the US for the 4x4 realted ones? All I can offer in exchange is a really good puzzle solver ;)

Edited by brumbjorn

For those of us who live down in the states who would consider coming to this (I'm always looking for a n excuse to load up on Malteasers), what are the dates? Your holidays are different than ours! ;)

eta: would anyone be willing to take on a pair of cachers from the US for the 4x4 realted ones? All I can offer in exchange is a really good puzzle solver :D

It's May 15th (Friday)- 18th (Monday) - People can start caching on Friday if they'd like - or wait til Sat or do Sunday alone - (Week Before Geowoodstock)

We can provide transportation for the 4x4 ones (or lend you one of ours - know how to drive standard.. lol) - or probably fit you in a vehicle with a few people that we know should be coming.. :sad:

Bummer timing for us :) - and so close to home too!

We'll be leaving early on the 20th for GeoWoodstock in Tennessee so unfortunately the weekend prior (Victoria Day Weekend) will be spent doing last minute prep and packing. I sure wish this was some other weekend a little farther away from GW - we'd have been there for sure - with our off-road 4x4! Have fun!

Wanted to post a quick update - we were up there this weekend and placed the first of the new caches to come for this event.

With the existing caches and the ones we are placing there will be a total of 55 caches that are part of this run, and in each of those caches 55 cards that can be used. There are also caches in the area that will not be part of the event. We're hoping then for of course .. drum roll - 55 teams.. lol (or more if people will come!)

With those 55 caches, a total of 40 grids of difficult/terrain can be completed and if we can make it into our chosen spot a 5/5 will be born - the challenge will to get there.

We will be providing each team that participates a "memory" book that is 8x11 and has a full page on the history of each cache and the area it's in as well and a CD to play as they go and get caches.. :laughing:

This looks like fun. I'll pencil it in, but I'll need to convince my wife since I'll already be away for the previous 3 weekends and the following 2. :anitongue: It'll be tight, since I'll be returning from a week offshore on the 15th! Maybe we can get a convoy from the island to head over.

That would be awesome -

We've set up a website for it - www.greatcoalrush.blogspot.com

We'll be posting updates on the caches involved, pictures, copy of the grid and everything there - along with who is confirmed, links to the community and anythinge else that people are finding helpeful..

Hope to see you there!

Looks awesome, Turtles... I hope to attend.

That would be awesome - we'd get to see the rescuer of Jingle Bells!!

The Mozey-on-inn is now full, so for those of you that are wanting a hotel over camping next stop is:

www.ottersleepinn.netfirms.com/

They likely won't notify us when they are full - so if someone books and gets a "full" answer can you let us know.

As well if you're coming for sure, please let us know so we can update the cacher list on the site. Since we're having things made for this it will help us anticipate quanities and activities..

See you there - by the way we've also updated the sight with the first cache we placed for it! And I'm working on posting the "approximate" grid for terrain/difficulty combinations as well. That should be done in a few days.

www.greatcoalrush.blogspot.com

For those that are interested in knowing it - below is a link that will provide you with caches being considered. They are the ones "inside" the triangle, but . There are currently 18-20 caches as well that aren't active yet that won't show in this.

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx...15-80ecccf87cff

Caches will consist of 4 categories - of which you're welcome to them all:

1. Easy Drive up Caches that a Honda Civic can get to and no major hiking and very family (young kid) friendly

Define "stock 4x4" please. There are many people out there who believe that an SUV is a 4-wheel drive. Most SUVs/cross-overs are actually all-wheel drives and not much more than urban traction.

Define "modified 4x4" please. Enormous range of vehicles here, anything from a true 4-wheel drive, H/L with all terrain tires and skid plates all the way to Hummers with snorkels and winch drives.

Define 1-2 km hike please. Flat/hilly worn trails that can be done with tennis shoes OR breath-taking steep terrain with moderate bushwacking OR serious mountaineering with major bushwacking?

BTW, this event sounds intriguing, even for a flatlander from Regina.

Edited by Roarmeister
Define "stock 4x4" please

if it's 4 wheel drive it's a 4X4 :D might have clearance issues though LOL ie: down you dam floorboards down LO or what are these bumps in the floor

Define "modified 4x4"

Anything other than a stock 4X4, be prepared for pretty rough going I think a locker axle is one of the requirments or just crazy enough to do what you have to do to get through it...

Define 1-2 km hike please

I'd say moderate bushwacking with pretty good elevation change. Tennis shoes could be used but not to smart to do so. It aint Saskatchewan toto :) Breath-taking terrain for sure Beautiful that is....

Please come join us.... You won't regret it...

Thank you Mercrocks - you said it so perfectly.. lol - but for our defnition

Define "stock 4x4" please. There are many people out there who believe that an SUV is a 4-wheel drive. Most SUVs/cross-overs are actually all-wheel drives and not much more than urban traction.

Maximum criteria for Stock is an unmodified Jeep with all terrain tires (our daily driver) - no running boards, no locker, no lift, no winch. As long as roads are not extremely muddy any "4x4" other then a sports van or all wheel drive will be fine. (as long as one does not mind BC Pinstripping) Stock Suzuki's FJ's etc would be fine

Define "modified 4x4" please. Enormous range of vehicles here, anything from a true 4-wheel drive, H/L with all terrain tires and skid plates all the way to Hummers with snorkels and winch drives.

We have a 6 inch lift, 35 inch BFG/Mud terrians with skid plate and rock sliders and are fine. (No Winch though) - We are not taking these caches to the extreme (Just wait til we get a true off road vehicle. We have a Suburban and it makes it through (ok He has had to be winched once on the trail when his rear axle broke 1/2 way up - not his fault) - See our Cache Can you spare a rear Axle - Falcon hill

4 wheel drive ATV's would be fine, no problems (right Merrocks) - he has a video of him on the hill

Define 1-2 km hike please. Flat/hilly worn trails that can be done with tennis shoes OR breath-taking steep terrain with moderate bushwacking OR serious mountaineering with major bushwacking?

1-2 km hike's - reccomend hiking boots as terrian can be a bit erosion and mucky. And possible snow drifts in the shady area. There are no 7 hour hike's with a 25% incline going up 1000 meters (we do those on our own.. lol) - Trails will be flagged for all, we're trying to avoid major bushwhacking with this many people as we may have city dwellers - but they're not paved trails either. But all will be flagged with flourescent green geocache flagging tape. No mountain climbing, yodelling, or extreme exertion required.

Not extremely Hilly - need good footwear though as one cache will be taking you to an old abandoned railway line that the coal carts used to run down and the drop off is about 1000 feet below..

4293607c-fb9a-4e87-93e1-5cbd6c2ea2bb.jpg

So minor bushwhacking, don't reccomend wearing shorts for those ones

BTW, this event sounds intriguing, even for a flatlander from Regina.

Thank you Mercrocks - you said it so perfectly.. lol - but for our definition

Maximum criteria for Stock is an unmodified Jeep with all terrain tires (our daily driver) - no running boards, no locker, no lift, no winch. As long as roads are not extremely muddy any "4x4" other then a sports van or all wheel drive will be fine. (as long as one does not mind BC Pinstripping) Stock Suzuki's FJ's etc would be fine.

We have a 6 inch lift, 35 inch BFG/Mud terrains with skid plate and rock sliders and are fine. (No Winch though) - We are not taking these caches to the extreme (Just wait until we get a true off road vehicle. We have a Suburban and it makes it through (ok He has had to be winched once on the trail when his rear axle broke 1/2 way up - not his fault) - See our Cache Can you spare a rear Axle - Falcon hill

4 wheel drive ATVs would be fine, no problems (right Merrocks) - he has a video of him on the hill

1-2 km hikes - recommend hiking boots as terrain can be a bit erosion and mucky. And possible snow drifts in the shady area. There are no 7 hour hikes with a 25% incline going up 1000 meters (we do those on our own.. lol) - Trails will be flagged for all, we're trying to avoid major bushwhacking with this many people as we may have city dwellers - but they're not paved trails either. But all will be flagged with fluorescent green geocache flagging tape. No mountain climbing, yodelling, or extreme exertion required.

Not extremely Hilly - need good footwear though as one cache will be taking you to an old abandoned railway line that the coal carts used to run down and the drop off is about 1000 feet below..

Thanks for the update - I just wanted you to clarify because one man's apples is another man's oranges and I didn't want people to misinterpret and go off half cocked! For the record I have a stock Escape and have pushed it over some fairly rough terrain that most people would think I'm crazy to be out on. I've got the "pinstripping" here to verify it!

As far as the hiking goes, I don't think this should be a problem for most people, even though I have a bum knee (ligament damage while mountain hiking) it still sounds within my range.

I used Google earth to assess the terrain - I haven't been in that particular valley before (Princeton the closest I've been). It seems to me that radio ranges would be broken up into basically 3-4 valley sections for communications - around the towns of Tulameen, Coalmont and Blakeburn and perhaps further up the lake area. What's the cell phone coverage in that area - pretty spotty I suspect?

I'll have to check to see if any other flatlander's from my area are interested in coming out as a team. Hey, I really mean flat - Regina is the bottom of a glacier lake bed. You know that old joke about the kid who ran away from home and the parents weren't worried because they could spot him 3 days out - it's NOT a joke! :laughing:

Thanks for the update - I just wanted you to clarify because one man's apples is another man's oranges and I didn't want people to misinterpret and go off half cocked! For the record I have a stock Escape and have pushed it over some fairly rough terrain that most people would think I'm crazy to be out on. I've got the "pinstripping" here to verify it!

As far as the hiking goes, I don't think this should be a problem for most people, even though I have a bum knee (ligament damage while mountain hiking) it still sounds within my range.

I used Google earth to assess the terrain - I haven't been in that particular valley before (Princeton the closest I've been). It seems to me that radio ranges would be broken up into basically 3-4 valley sections for communications - around the towns of Tulameen, Coalmont and Blakeburn and perhaps further up the lake area. What's the cell phone coverage in that area - pretty spotty I suspect?

I'll have to check to see if any other flatlander's from my area are interested in coming out as a team. Hey, I really mean flat - Regina is the bottom of a glacier lake bed. You know that old joke about the kid who ran away from home and the parents weren't worried because they could spot him 3 days out - it's NOT a joke! :laughing:

Cell phone service is very spotty up in there, but if you're at the top of a mountain you can get it. But radio is the preferred mode of communicatin. We don't have a VHF license yet so can't talk on the specifics - We'll follow up with a few people to find out. Hand held radio's work depending if you have a straight line, which if you're in the Valley's you won't - we're insisting people check in with us at night when they're back so we don't have to go searching.. lol

I sent you a PM on accomodations that have been offered up before I post it in general. So far we have over 25 confirmed cache monikers - some of those consisting of multiple people. All told think we're up to 40 people so far - which is awesome.

I've been updating the website for it www.greatcoalrush.blogspot.com and will be working some more this weekend to put up some of the original photos in the area and links to the historical stuff. As well we'll be having a coin made. So have a bit on my plate for the next few days.. :D

The first newspaper article on the event is going in to the Smilikameen times in the next bit as well..

The first 9 caches that are being included have all been placed and cards ready, most have been published but we have 2 to finish submitting - one that will take you down the tramline (we're doing it as a letterbox) and one in one of the fallen townsites where there are still a few standing buildings. We have stories to go with those as well..

For those considering coming, let us know as we can try to help you find accomodations. There are only 2 inns/motels in the area and one is booked full already. So it will be cabins after that or camping.. or going to Princeton which isn't too far

Hope to see you..

Cell phone service is very spotty up in there, but if you're at the top of a mountain you can get it. But radio is the preferred mode of communicatin. We don't have a VHF license yet so can't talk on the specifics - We'll follow up with a few people to find out. Hand held radio's work depending if you have a straight line, which if you're in the Valley's you won't - we're insisting people check in with us at night when they're back so we don't have to go searching.. lol

Hi There, I've been watching this for a while, even pondered coming over, but it looks like a no go... I'm very short of spare CASH, and now even more short of time since it looks as if like I'm sitting on GZ for this years SAREX event... which means that one way or another I'm going to be tied up prepping the event or prepping to participate, even though it is not this weekend. Anyway... I noted your comments on radios, but until your reference to VHF licences you haven't been very specific as to what your intentions are to USE.

Lots of cachers are Amateur Radio Operators as well, then there are Commercial radio licences, GRS (C.B. ) radios (AM and SSB), FRS and GMRS (UHF FM)which are unlicenced (in Canada). Non are interchangeable, even though some may be capable of the others frequencies in a few cases... licence restrictions prevent crossover, legally but it does happen in real emergencies. The big question is where are you aiming?

GMRS/FRS is likely the most affordable route, followed by commercial rentals, others may use existing licenced frequencies for logging roads (forestry commercial). Of course you can use several different systems at the same time, without crossing directly. CB tends to be better in hilly terrain than a lot of more expensive systems, less line of sight and it's inexpensive, plus a lot of people have them already.

Just a question...

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

I noted your comments on radios, but until your reference to VHF licences you haven't been very specific as to what your intentions are to USE. The big question is where are you aiming?

Just a question...

Doug

Good question Doug. And a good time to clarify for all others watching this event.

First off, it is only a suggestion that cachers attending the event bring some kind of communication devise in the event of an emergency. At the beginning of each day cachers need to report in to us and fill in the anticipated caching area on their registration form. There is also a plan B area to be filled in. At the end of each caching day if a team has not returned, we would then know what area to search and what type of “radio” they have, if any. Helpful information if we need to rely on our buddy Mercrocks and his SAR team. Tire tread patterns and shoe patterns are other safety measures we could use.

GMRS/FRS are primarily what we are referring to, as we know many cachers that do use them, we have 6 ourselves. However, these radios are limited in their range, but do well from mountain side to valley with line of sight.

We also use CB radios in our trucks and as you mentioned, these do better in mountainous terrains, however, not everybody has one, or is expected to bring one.

This event covers a very large area and there are no real ideal methods of keeping in touch with each team. We’re just trying to put some kind of safeguards in place and trust that the cachers attending are responsible adults and will not put themselves in any kind of unsafe circumstance.

Helpful information if we need to rely on our buddy Mercrocks and his SAR team. Tire tread patterns and shoe patterns are other safety measures we could use.

We’re just trying to put some kind of safeguards in place and trust that the cachers attending are responsible adults and will not put themselves in any kind of unsafe circumstance.

Since you have a SAR resource at hand, ask them for a Trip Plan Form... there are generic ones from PEP and other groups have 'customized' them for local use... I know that having one can greatly simplify the process of information gathering... lots of people fail to consider that details change almost daily, so the need to do a fresh one is very important... It also prevents forgetting to mention something that might prove critical in the event it gets used. If for some reason you can't get one locally, I'll be watching or else use the profile.

It is a very good idea for any cacher (or anyone else) into remote areas, or even into local bush to file a form with a reliable friend and then check back in with them on your return.

It doesn't have to be a burden. It can be a lifesaver.

Doug

Hello Turtle clan,

I have some of those Trip Plan Forms if you wan't them.....

And Yes as always carry the 8 essentials and TELL Someone where your going....

-15° and 8" of snow this morning.... Ye HA off to plow the driveway....

R

We will take you up on that offer of at least one (which means you need to stop by for burgers again) - we have more snow here in Vancouver then up there.. lol of course the 3 feet I shovelled off the back deck last weekend at the cabin has melted down to about 1 1/2 feet. We're headed back on the 1st - btw - suprised you haven't grabbed one of those 6 FTF's sitting out there right now.. lol

On a note for the event - planning is going well, The historic haunted Coalmont Hotel is willing to open for guests for the weekend - they have 5 rooms available however all must be booked together - so we're making arrangments. (only one bathroom for all 5 rooms though)

If you are interested please contact us.

Songs for the CD are being finalized, the book is coming together and the over 3000 envelopes required are being sealed 1 by 1.

The list of 55 caches that will be a part of this have been finalized, and we're working on compiling the full list of caches in the area for you. Up to about 60 confirmed people so far.. and the list keeps growing

www.greatcoalrush.blogspot.com

Hope to see you there! Will be updating the webpage after the holidays!

We are happy to announce that we now officially have a GPS donated as a prize, thanks to a fellow cacher - Savant9. It is a Garmin Etrex Legend

We are still looking for further sponsors of the event as well.

RSVP's are starting to come in and we're now up to 100 confirmed people (each will attend on the page numbers 2-5 people) so those confirmed plus others that still have to post the will attend but have confirmed via e-mail or verbally.

Guaranteed to be an awesome time! :D

Edited by Tulameen Turtles

A quick update - for all info please see WWW.GREATCOALRUSH.BLOGSPOT.COM

1. The coin has been ordered now, we are taking down names for reservations (coin to be paid and picked up at the event) - we are only ordering a 100 on the first round

2. We will be playing Poker on Saturday Night - limit of 30 players right now - if you'd like to play please let us know so we can put your name down

3. The hall has been paid for for the Sunday night Awards Dinner and that event will be posted about 3 weeks prior to the final date.

We've recently heard that we have a 4x4 club coming from Alberta (and very excited.. :rolleyes:

And for all you campers - We have arranged a group camp location - this location can hold at least 30 - 26 foot trailers so space should be good. It's on private land and is being held specifically for us!

It is adjacent to the Granit Creek Campground, we will be posting coordinates under the Friday Night Meet & Greet Event - GC1JHV4 - This way people can find it. Will be submitting that cache tonight as we want people to be able to find it.

We will be hosting the meet & greet there as well as it's big enough to hold all the vehicles!

We're hoping that anyone coming that is not staying on our lot, or in a hotel/cabin will stay here as we would prefer for everyone to be together (better socialization) and this way we know the trailers can turn around. Cost is $10 a night and you get your first bundle of firewood free. We will be collecting the funds and providing it to the owner of the land.

If you would like a guarnateed spot held for you - again e-mail us:

tulameenturtles@shaw.ca

Things are gearing up and over 3000 cards have been placed in happy envelopes - and we have everything ready to go be placed (do you have any idea how much space this many ammo cans take up.. lol)

Guest list is building and we're nearing things.

On Saturday Mr. Turtle will be providing a trail host on the Whipsaw Run - so those who want to ATV/ 4x4 it through there please coordinate with us (we want everyone safe in & out) or ask any questions (Mercrocks - you up for going on Sat?)

So if you want your name down for anything - let us know!

Check out the website - will be doing an update over the next few days again!

Edited by Tulameen Turtles

On Saturday Mr. Turtle will be providing a trail host on the Whipsaw Run - so those who want to ATV/ 4x4 it through there please coordinate with us (we want everyone safe in & out) or ask any questions

(Mercrocks - you up for going on Sat?)

Ha Ha,

Sorry to throw snow in your eyes BUT...

Winter is at least 3 weeks leaving this year (another inch today, plus 3" to 6" yesterday in town)

I don't think that Whipsaw will be doable in MAY :PB):)

BC4x4.com Whipsaw run ran into snow on July 1'st

You might be able to do Dicks from Whipsaw side and Falcon Hill from Loadstone but I don't want to be the first to try in between :D

I think I'll pass and stick to the festivities closer to home....