Garmin 60CSx Price

I am in the market for a new Garmin 60CSx. I've been shopping around, and have discovered that the prices really fluctuate depending on where you look. Best Buy carries it for $399, whereas Amazon has the same unit for $299. I thought I saw it at Dick's Sporting Goods for $279, but then when I checked back the next week it was $450.

I'm just wondering what you proud 60CSx owners paid for your model. Or what you think a fair price is these days. Aren't they phasing out the model?

Let me note that I find the warranty important, so something from Ebay is out of the question. :)

Edited by paulcalypse

Got mine from 25% off sale from REI a few weeks back. It was bundled with Topo 2008, and a carrying case. It was $350 shipped. I think around $300 should be your price point to shoot for if it's new. As far as phasing out, not sure. It's almost 3 years old I think, and even though there are fancier units coming out with more bells and whistles (Colorado and Oregon), I think the 60csx is the workhorse of the handheld Garmin line. Not sure they'd want to phase it out because of that. I'm sure other's who are in the know will also respond about that.

You want the best price? Here is what I found:

First, go to http://search.live.com/cashback and create an account. This will be important later. You can wait on this step but I woud recommend doing it first and also reading the rules.

Then go to Microsoft Live Search here http://www.live.com/

then run a search for the Garmin 60csx (or any other Garmin product).

when the search comes back you will see a link at the top that says "Live search cashback."

and below that you will see "get 25% off with PayPal."

When you click the link, it will take you to Ebay where you can find really good deals, just make sure the unit

is new and not refurbished. The one I chose was $299 and free shipping. When you choose the "buy it now" function, you will see the cashback offer in the PayPal window when you pay for it. At this point it gets better, you can now enter a PayPal coupon code: CFALLSAVINGS10P and this will get you an extra 10% off.

I started at $299.98 and is now at $269.98 with a cashback savings of $75. The only thing about this is that you will have to wait 60 days to get the cashback, but when it's all said and done, the 60csx will have only cost me $195. THAT'S A DEAL!!! But hurry, this is only good till Dec 31.

:);)

Has anybody compared the prices of 60CSx versus 60Cx ?

In the old days, the 60Cx was cheaper. However, I now wonder whether the larger supply of 60CSx makes it cheaper nowadays. But then, the higher demand for the S model might keep it more expensive.

By the way, in my opinion you don't really need the barometer or mag compass of the S model. Just more mechanical complexity to go wrong, although most people have had no trouble. With a decent satellite fix provided by the sensitive receiver, you get perfectly fine altitude readings with a 60Cx. Also, all you have to do to get a compass reading is walk 20 feet in one direction.

I am in the market for a new Garmin 60CSx. I've been shopping around, and have discovered that the prices really fluctuate depending on where you look. Best Buy carries it for $399, whereas Amazon has the same unit for $299. I thought I saw it at Dick's Sporting Goods for $279, but then when I checked back the next week it was $450.

I'm just wondering what you proud 60CSx owners paid for your model. Or what you think a fair price is these days. Aren't they phasing out the model?

Let me note that I find the warranty important, so something from Ebay is out of the question. ;)

That $450 price was probably a bundled price (GPS + maps and carrying case, for example).

You'll get the best price on-line, and the unit is a reliable one, so the chance of needing a return is very small. Stick to the better known on-line dealers, such as Amazon, GPS City, etc.

Also, all you have to do to get a compass reading is walk 20 feet in one direction.

Or just carry a real compass... :ph34r:

But then I wouldn't have the barometer to keep track of the weather. :ph34r:

And it isn't always possible to walk 20 feet briskly in one direction. (See that cliff over there?) :)

(And I carry a compass anyway, just in case the gps goes kerphlooey). :ph34r:

I realize you wanted to specifically avoid eBay for warranty issues, but on 20 October this year, I bought a new GPSMAP 60CSX for $249.00 plus shipping and it is not a refurb. You have me thinking now about whether I have any implied manufacturer's warranty so I will have to dig into that.

Anyway, for the money, I couldn't resist.

IPC$