The Quabin Resivor in Belchertown Mass.

:) On my watch list I have certin Caches I watch and one of them came up as, "Cachers are tearing up the area around the Cache.This is very Disheartnig to see. This is a wonderful place to go and have quiet fun with nature. GeoCaching may be a privledge for us right now, but if Cachers are going to tear up the land we will lose our privledge to use the Land........... Edited by The Finder Of All Stuff

:) On my watch list I have certin Caches I watch and one of them came up as, "Cachers are tearing up the area around the Cache.This is very Disheartnig to see. This is a wonderful place to go and have quiet fun with nature. GeoCaching may be a privledge for us right now, but if Cachers are going to tear up the land we will lose our privledge to use the Land...........

Wow, that's too bad, I always try not to break branches and step on bushes when I'm on the hunt. I'd love to do some caching out by the Quabbin, maybe next spring/summer. Gotta work my way out west!

Are you talking about THIS cache. I went back today after a DNF in the rain a couple days ago. I couldn't believe the damage done to the stone walls in the area. At least the cache owner was responsible and decided to remove he cache before any more damage was done.

I HATE stone walls. When I come upon a stone wall, I take a quick look around, check where my hand fits easily and move on. I will not take apart a wall just for a smiley. Most of these walls have been around for a long time, it's a shame when one gets messed with for a game. IMO, no cache hidden in a stone wall should be HIDDEN, make it an easy find so this doesn't happen. In a perfect world, we wouldn't even hide them in these places...

*edit... thumbs up to the CO for doing the right thing and removing the cache. I hope they did repair the wall like the log states. Might want to talk to the right people and let them know that the majority of cachers are bothered by a few's actions.

Edited by sportside

I grew up in the area and have spent many hours hiking throughout the Quabbin. I have traveled around our country quite a bit and this is still my favorite place and I still call this area home. In the past I have even been down on the Prescott Peninsula as I was a member of the Swift River Historical Society. Back then there was a member who grew up on the Peninsula, it wasn't a Peninsula when she lived there, it was a hill where her farmstead was, we as a group would travel down the fire access roads by bus with her. I have done quite a few of the caches in the Quabbin when I return to the area for work or to visit family. I would ask all cachers to police themselves when in the Quabbin as the State Police don't really seem to want anyone in the Quabbin, the Rangers are pretty relaxed and enjoy seeing visitors. This area has been called the Accidental Wilderness and I would hate to see Geocaching or any other access to this area restricted by carelessness! Thanks for listening