Colorado and the Macbook......

SaliesDB

Hi people.

New to the Colorado and being in France means little help forthcoming from the shop I bought it in - who said Mr Garmin would work just fine with my Macbook. It doesn't.

I have a Colorado 300, and a TOPO 2 disc of the region I am in. I also have Parallels but hate using it as it always crashes or sinks the Mac. Is there another way to load my maps to the 300 using my Macbook, and how do I connect the 300 to my MacBook ? I've downloaded some Garmin software but it doesn't do much for the TOPO 2 disc.

Easy questions for someone to answer probably, sorry that I'm a dunce ! :yikes:

Thanx in advance to anyone who can help. I have tried looking through the forum for answers but nothing matches what I'm trying to find out. At least, not that I've found !

Thanks people for the advice and links,

I have downloaded both of those bits of software, but it would appear from the blog that Coggins posted a link to that I need a PC first to read the TOPO 2 disc - and that I do not have. I tried Parallels, but that crashed everything as normal, so now I'm stuck. We've only just moved here and so I don't have anyone who I can turn to to use a PC.

Any ideas ? I'm somewhat surprised that Garmin issues the maps on a CD and not on a SD card so it can be slapped in the bottom of the Colorado, and can be used on other machines. I ordered the French City Maps for my Nuvi from Amazon and am now slightly concerned that they will be in CD form too and I'll be unable to use them either.

Bother is a small word and utterly inadequate for what I feel right now.

Any ideas ? I'm somewhat surprised that Garmin issues the maps on a CD and not on a SD card so it can be slapped in the bottom of the Colorado, and can be used on other machines.

I can't speak for your particular maps, but I have City Navigator maps for the UK on SD card. I bought it when I bought my Colorado, and having it on an SD card means I can have open source maps in the internal memory and easily swap between the two.

I use my Colorado with both a PC and a Mac (two Macs actually - an iBook G4 and an Intel desktop machine). About the only issue I've had on the Mac is that sometimes the USB Mass Storage Devices don't both show up when I plug it in. (There seems to be no pattern to it - sometimes it's the internal memory, sometimes it's the SD card).

CRID - thanx for that. I have hopes now that my France maps will be on SD too, but it doesn't help the TOPO 2 issue. In fact, I've just bothered to re-check my order and can see that it is indeed on SD, so no worries there. Why don't the TOPO's come on SD ? Any reason for that ?

As a matter of interest, how do you see your Colorado on your Mac. I've downloaded both RoadTrip and MapManager, but neither of them recognise the Colorado when I try and plug it in. I can't download the software that came with the Colorado, so how did you manage to get the two chatting to each other ?

Thanx in advance for any further help.

As a matter of interest, how do you see your Colorado on your Mac. I've downloaded both RoadTrip and MapManager, but neither of them recognise the Colorado when I try and plug it in. I can't download the software that came with the Colorado, so how did you manage to get the two chatting to each other ?

I also own a 76CSx and that behaves in a different way when plugged in to a computer. Software can talk to it (GSAK sending waypoints, or using GPSBabel to download my tracks). If I want it to run in USB Mass Storage mode I have to tell the GPSr to do that using the menus.

The Colorado, on the other hand, automatically switches to Mass Storage Mode when you plug it in to a computer. You can download the waypoints and tracks (and presumably routes - I never use them) as a single GPX file straight from the device. You can also upload GC.com pocket query GPX files straight to the device for paperless caching. When you next start the device the child waypoints get imported and the geocache information is available.

Perhaps some software (especially if it's third-party) hasn't been modified to use this new interface method yet?

I think the only issues with the Mac accessing files on the Colorado (other than the Mass Storage glitch I've already mentioned) is the Mac's habit of putting hidden files all over the place. I think I read somewhere that deleting a file isn't necessarily enough unless you also empty the trash while the device is connected. (Presumably because it's still there as a hidden file, which the Colorado can still see).

PAULCALYPSE - I have never had any joy setting up Boot Camp with my MacBook. It never partitions the disc correctly and I have had to reboot the machine each time. It's a glitch with my machine and after trying several different approaches according to others who know better I won't bother again. This is the reason I bought Parallels, but again I've always had problems with that too. I simply can't get any version of Windows to run on my Mac. So saying, what I really need is for someone to show me another way of getting my Colorado software and maps to work on my Mac. But thanks for the thought !

CRID - thanx for all that info too. All good and i have no doubt I'll get to the stage when I can compare notes with you but as my Mac doesn't even recognise the Colorado at the moment I'm a long way from discussing the merits of mass storage devices with you.

Does anyone know when Garmin will be releasing mapping software for Macs ? I can't believe that I have $100 worth of maps here and I can't use them......grrr . What do people who buy a Garmin and have no computer do if they want a map ???

Edited by SaliesDB

Thanks people for the advice and links,

I have downloaded both of those bits of software, but it would appear from the blog that Coggins posted a link to that I need a PC first to read the TOPO 2 disc - and that I do not have. I tried Parallels, but that crashed everything as normal, so now I'm stuck. We've only just moved here and so I don't have anyone who I can turn to to use a PC.

Any ideas ? I'm somewhat surprised that Garmin issues the maps on a CD and not on a SD card so it can be slapped in the bottom of the Colorado, and can be used on other machines. I ordered the French City Maps for my Nuvi from Amazon and am now slightly concerned that they will be in CD form too and I'll be unable to use them either.

Bother is a small word and utterly inadequate for what I feel right now.

The reason might be that Garmin didn't make those maps and doesn't have any control over the format, it looks as if IGN (Institut Géographique National) is the maker:

5265242.jpg

(Click picture for link)

These maps look like they will have to be converted as I wrote before.

Next, you should first download, install and run the Macintosh WebUpdater. You will see if your computer can connect to your GPS with this software, and it will also get updated to the most recent software if you can. Start there, use the cable that came with your Garmin. This will help to show if you have a GPS or computer problem incapability. If I could make that work, then I would try out a free set of routeable OMS roadmaps such as these: LINK with MapInstaller.

The IGN maps look pretty good, I'd find a way to convert them.

c57bbd57-7e47-4519-944b-8dedff47b251.jpg

Edited by coggins

I lie like a cheap watch..... it's just asked me to update the software, so I have done. All good, will await your next advisory !

By the way, is there any way you can change the screen orientation on the Colorado, so you can have the map sideways ? I'm sure there must be and I'm being a bit thick......

I also went to the link you provided for the road maps to try and I get nothing but a page of code that I don;t think I can save in a format suitable for MapInstaller ?

Edited by SaliesDB

Okay Senor Coggins - WebUpDater downloaded and I have a Garmin icon on my desktop for the first time. Nothing else has happened, no messages or software notifications. Now what ?

Thanx, too ;)

Check the link to the OMS mapset in my last post. This will install it for both RoadTrip and MapInstall. Let's see if we can get some maps to your unit.

I lie like a cheap watch..... it's just asked me to update the software, so I have done. All good, will await your next advisory !

By the way, is there any way you can change the screen orientation on the Colorado, so you can have the map sideways ? I'm sure there must be and I'm being a bit thick......

I also went to the link you provided for the road maps to try and I get nothing but a page of code that I don;t think I can save in a format suitable for MapInstaller ?

You need to save that file to you computer. I'm going to boot up my Mac to give it a look...

Press down and hold the "control" key as you click on the link, and then select "Save Link As..." and pick your desktop to save it to.

Edited by coggins
Press down and hold the "control" key as you click on the link, and then select "Save Link As..." and pick your desktop to save it to.

You should end up with the .tgz file on your desktop:

dc3bd3e5-c4a4-4d7a-a378-ec7913e76695.jpg

Click on it, and it will decompress and you will have a .gmapi file looking like this:

d1ebcc52-29eb-4414-ac61-3667cde4983b.jpg

Click on that file to install it for use, you will get this window where you will click the "Install" button:

5b9659f8-fd4d-4b15-b4c1-7120943319c5.jpg

After it's installed, you will get this window where you will click "Quit":

110689a6-4653-4967-b29b-23a7ce9c8e99.jpg

Open up RoadTrip. Once it opens, in the upper right corner, you will have to select the OpenStreetMap France mapset:

cac113f8-46eb-48f4-abc4-a52df5e50146.jpg

Check the upper left corner and see if your Garmin is listed as a device-make sure it's plugged in and turned on

(here my eTex Vista HCx is listed):

57e96f91-1a27-463b-a59a-ddc8959b0745.jpg

Give this a shot and then next we will get you into the MapInstaller to load up maps into your unit.

But first, you will want to backup your Colorado: LINK

Edited by coggins

CRID - thanx for all that info too. All good and i have no doubt I'll get to the stage when I can compare notes with you but as my Mac doesn't even recognise the Colorado at the moment I'm a long way from discussing the merits of mass storage devices with you.

I'm wondering if you're experiencing the same Mass Storage glitch that I'm experiencing. I've got an SD card in my Colorado, so when I plug it in it SHOULD show as two drives. For some reason sometimes one of the drives (and it could be either of them) fails to show up. It's a very odd glitch which never seems to happen when I plug the Colorado into my PC.

It also reminds me of another glitch I had trying to use my 76CSx in Mass Storage mode on a couple of Macs. On one (an Intel-based one), it worked fine. On the other one (an iBook G4) it failed to show up at all. That turned out to be that the device didn't have a volume name and presumably OSX decided it was having none of that. I set the volume name using the Mac that could see it and then it showed up quite happily on the iBook after that.

It might also be worth checking the setup on the Colorado, because you can set its communication mode to different settings. Go to the main menu, then Setup, then System. Go down to Interface and make sure it's set to Garmin Serial.

Senor COGGINS - all done. Map on Roadtrip and the program recognizes the Colorado. All backed up too. Mucho Bueno ! What next........I am very grateful to your help so far, belive me. Hope someone else will find this beneficial sometime too !

Only thing I can say about the map is that is doen't appear too complete in places but it will do fine for students like me !

CRID - maybe. Colorado shows up okay on the desktop now, after downloading WebUpDater. Maybe I shall speak to you sooner than I think thanks to el Professoro Coggins.

In RoadTrip, make a new folder:

1. File (menu)

2. Create New Folder (here named Pyrénées)

3. Select that folder

I zoomed into Toulouse and did the following...

I used the Waypoint tool to make two waypoints

1: Boulevard D'arcole

2: Rue de Bayard

Then used the Route tool to make a route between the two waypoints:

Boulevard D'arcole to Rue de Bayard

821e3574-eda8-4552-8c3a-6b328b9613e2.jpg

Here's what it all looks like on the map:

b01158e3-0dd0-49a5-988f-a77bc9cd26a0.jpg

Now select the send button to send to your GPS, once the transfer is complete, you will then see the following at the bottom of the window:

c72b5d21-498f-4d9b-ba01-9df3d5201fcd.jpg

The following message will appear, where you will select "Send Maps":

fe36a184-287e-41d5-afb7-bc327f00635a.jpg

This will open MapInstall, here you select "Continue":

b4114db5-5c63-415c-8edd-6d8be0506031.jpg

Next, you will get the main MapInstall window, you can see that the map is split into several 'tiles' with one in a darker blue color as it has been selected. You can select other tiles to send as well by clicking on them to turn them to the darker blue color (you can see a lighter blue tile surrounded in yellow-this is one I'm going to add, well maybe not). The bottom of the window will show you how much memory is available in your GPS. When you are ready to send the maps, select the "Send Maps" button in the lower right corner:

2d7c0f9c-f888-4fe9-b3f2-b41c736c12a9.jpg

Next, your computer will assemble the tiles into one file to transfer to your GPS:

94cfbde9-7cc4-4212-8b24-946cf464b9c5.jpg

Once that is done, it will send the mapset to the GPS:

78126315-8014-4575-8621-5461deabb7e3.jpg

Once it is done, you will get this window where you will select the "Done" button in the lower right corner:

26e252ca-a48f-42bd-945b-ec344cea1e3f.jpg

From there MapInstall will close and you will be back in RoadTrip. Now you will have the two waypoints, the route between them and the road maps for the area (and others if you selected others with MapInstall).

Work on that for a bit and see how that goes. I have an idea on how to convert your mapset from a PC format to a Mac one in your case that may work out well for you.

Here's what I ended up with on my GPS:

6f959d4a-3a15-4ffa-bfd7-b87da2cf00ab.jpg

Are located in Région Aquitaine?

Edited by coggins

Senor COGGINS - all done and working fine. I have the map installed on the Colorado and working. Way cool, though longwinded, huh ?

What next , o most mighty one ? I'm all ears for your trick of getting the other Mapset onto the Garmin too !

Thanks a bunch again, too !

Sort of, you can have North up or Track up. So set it to track up and rotate the unit so North is pointing to the right or left side. I believe that's about all you can do. A Colorado user will have to confirm the process and steps.

I'm all ears for your trick of getting the other Mapset onto the Garmin too !
  1. I also have Parallels but hate using it as it always crashes or sinks the Mac.
  2. I have never had any joy setting up Boot Camp with my MacBook.
  3. but it will do fine for students like me !
  4. We've only just moved here and so I don't have anyone who I can turn to to use a PC.

You will need to be creative and overcome one of these problems.

1. Get Parallels to work and convert the maps under Windows.

2. Get Boot Camp to work and convert the maps under Windows.

3. See if you can use the school's resources to convert the maps under Windows.

4. Make a new friend with a PC and have them convert it for you.

It looks like you've tried the first two. Maybe the third one would be less trouble? Then there's the fourth one. You could always host or attend a local Event Cache meet & greet. Everyone that attends will have some sort of computer access. Most of those will be PC's I would bet, and would be willing to help out a fellow cacher.

6.gifPyrénées Meet & Greet

An Event cache by SaliesDB

Edited by coggins

1. Get Parallels to work and convert the maps under Windows.

2. Get Boot Camp to work and convert the maps under Windows.

3. See if you can use the school's resources to convert the maps under Windows.

4. Make a new friend with a PC and have them convert it for you.

Hi senor Coggins,

Thanx for the help so far.

Parallels - I've tried it so many times now, even re-installing it on a couple of occasions that I know nothing I can do will help. Likewise with Boot Camp, which I actually had a Mac developer look at when I was last in the US. He grunted after a couple of hours and simply said it was one of those things - maybe I had a "friday" machine. I suspect I've tried to partition the drive about 8 times with no joy, and in point of fact, I have had nothing but trouble with this particular Macbook from the day I bought it - but it's the first Macintosh product that's been a bad'un for me. I had a complete meltdown within a week of buying it (I was in NZ at the time) and it didn't get resolved until I got back to the US. I'm leery about pushing new stuff into it.....

Schools - ha ha ! Sorry to say I am somewhat past school age, and the reference to "student" was simply a jest in reference to my status here as a "tadpole" and yours as a teacher to those in need of help. I wish I could go back to school - would my hair grow back ? Can I plead my case for some new knees and a complete set of teeth again ? :)

As for making friends, I guess that will have to be the way to go. I'm assuming I can transfer files to a SD card and then put them into the Mac AND the Garmin like that ? Or do I need to load them to the Garmin via the Mac and USB ? I speak pretty good French, so I'll find someone with a PC and see what I can do. I'm out in the sticks here though so it may take a while. Most of my neighbours smell of clean country air and bring me eggs and cider, but one of them will have a PC somewhere no doubt. Just have to hope it's running Windows of some sort and not Fortran.

Your observations about screen orientation seem correct. I can find no way to turn the screen around, which I think is quite a loss. It'd be easier to use the machine that way, for me at least. The thumb falls into place on the wheel far more naturally. Never mind.

I notice quite a gap between the battery cover and the case on my Colorado. Is that normal ? The gap's about a matchstick thick ...... I can't see the waterproof claim holding up for more than a second if that's the case.

Have a great Sunday and hope to hear from you....... thanx again.