The Most Dangerous Cache's in Manchester

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...&submit4=Go

There's 8 so far with more on the way if anyone is interested. About 5 are new and waiting for a first to find.

They're more for a laugh than anything else. I fancied something a bit different form the scenic routes around woodland and canals. I'd like to think that they're ingeniously hidden in and around the streets of Moss Side, Manchester. I've specifically chosen streets and locations notorious for alleged dodgyness.

The area is a bit rough so common sense will be paramount. In all fairness though i think they're as safe as any other cache site. I think that they're pretty challenging because of the amount of muggles that will be around. But hey, no matter how dodgy you look, you can't be much worse than the locals. Infact you'll probably blend in very well, sculking around and looking shifty!

Moss Side was on Channel 4's Secret Millionaire program a few weeks back and was understandably described as a toilet. I'm not making some political or social statement that Moss Side is like Sesame Street, but i feel comfortable putting these cache's out and would be surprised if anyone didn't feel comfortable searching for them.

Welcome to this forum, Complete Control.

As Lost in Space mentioned above, it's not considered "the done thing" to directly promote your own caches on the forum, but I appreciate that you are new to this UK forum and probably didn't realise that. (Yes, it's one of those 'unwritten rules' that folks like to mention regularly :yikes: )

Maybe any subsequent posters to this thread could comment on any other rather dodgy urban caches that they may have found in their travels?

mandarin

There's 8 so far with more on the way if anyone is interested. About 5 are new and waiting for a first to find.

They're more for a laugh than anything else. I fancied something a bit different form the scenic routes around woodland and canals. I'd like to think that they're ingeniously hidden in and around the streets of Moss Side, Manchester. I've specifically chosen streets and locations notorious for alleged dodgyness.

The area is a bit rough so common sense will be paramount. In all fairness though i think they're as safe as any other cache site. I think that they're pretty challenging because of the amount of muggles that will be around. But hey, no matter how dodgy you look, you can't be much worse than the locals. Infact you'll probably blend in very well, sculking around and looking shifty!

Moss Side was on Channel 4's Secret Millionaire program a few weeks back and was understandably described as a toilet. I'm not making some political or social statement that Moss Side is like Sesame Street, but i feel comfortable putting these cache's out and would be surprised if anyone didn't feel comfortable searching for them.

As a Southern 'Softie' I used to work for a Company based in trafford Wharf and frequently used to walk to the city centrewithout any mishap. i think this is what they used to call 'Moss Side' ?

Local based collegues used to raise an eyebrow or two but it proved in my opinion that it was the Northerners who were the 'softies' !

Certainly not adding these caches to my 'Extreme' bookmark listing !

Like the theme however - hope they don't get muggled.

Good luck to you.

:yikes::laughing::laughing::laughing::D

Welcome to this forum, Complete Control.

As Lost in Space mentioned above, it's not considered "the done thing" to directly promote your own caches on the forum, but I appreciate that you are new to this UK forum and probably didn't realise that. (Yes, it's one of those 'unwritten rules' that folks like to mention regularly :laughing: )

Maybe any subsequent posters to this thread could comment on any other rather dodgy urban caches that they may have found in their travels?

mandarin

Move the thread to the "GPS and Technology Forum" where no one in the UK will see it. That will show him. :yikes:

I worked in a very rough area of Puerto Rico a few years ago and chose to chose to mix and interact with the locals rather than shun them as most of my American colleagues did. They were horrified that I'd actually walked around and had been into one or two of the roadside 'shanty' bars. The locals knew from my accent that I wasn't American so the just assumed that I was a daft Australian and we got on fine. :)

After that... anywhere in the UK should be a walk in the park. However.... I've just noticed that the OP caches are all micros so I'll give them a miss, thank you very much ;)B):mad:

I think that this is a great idea! I live in South Norwood / Croydon in London and there are plenty of places for this kind of thing here! There is also a collection of caches that follows Jack the Ripper in central London so I could do one highlighting all the recent stabbings we've had in a 3 mile radius from home over the last year. The only problem with this idea would be that I would need approx 3 warehouse's full of micro's to be able to place a cache at each spot!

Maybe we could also put this topic in one of the other forums that asks people what they have in their cache bags eg: stab vest, taser, rape alarm, kilo of crack etc !

Good luck with the series, I reckon people will soon realise that these areas aren't that bad as it's usually the media that blow things out of proportion!

I worked in a very rough area of Puerto Rico a few years ago and chose to chose to mix and interact with the locals rather than shun them as most of my American colleagues did. They were horrified that I'd actually walked around and had been into one or two of the roadside 'shanty' bars. The locals knew from my accent that I wasn't American so the just assumed that I was a daft Australian and we got on fine. :)

After that... anywhere in the UK should be a walk in the park. However.... I've just noticed that the OP caches are all micros so I'll give them a miss, thank you very much B):mad::mad:

Hey cobber,

I see your still finding those micros MORE scary than a night out in "shanty-land!"

;):laughing:

As a Southern 'Softie' I used to work for a Company based in trafford Wharf and frequently used to walk to the city centrewithout any mishap. i think this is what they used to call 'Moss Side' ?

You're pretty ok around the trafford area, white city - a few of the corrie people live round that area - the main moss side area is 1.5mile east

You're pretty ok around the trafford area, white city - a few of the corrie people live round that area - the main moss side area is 1.5mile east

Exactly my point ----- have you not seen the number of murders and other serious incidents that occur involving these corrie St residents !

:);)B):mad::mad:

Are there any other caches like this in the UK, or elsewhere? or have i inadvertently forged a new type of cache?

Forget Multicache's and Virtual Cache's, this is 'A Dry and Sarcastic Social Comment Cache'.

Have you read his responses? They make very interesting reading :rolleyes:

I think the poor guy was a bit scared by the locals who where taking great interest in him foraging around the neighborhood. Infact and i quote, he finds the caches "not that enjoyable to do!". :) Well fancy that!

I sympathize with the guy but i think i offered a pretty good description of what he'd be getting himself into. I think maybe he didn't 'get' what they where about. He mentions dirt and rubbish being around the caches..? And he says there where too many people about..? That's pretty much why i did them!

Are there any other caches like this in the UK, or elsewhere? or have i inadvertently forged a new type of cache?

Forget Multicache's and Virtual Cache's, this is 'A Dry and Sarcastic Social Comment Cache'.

Have you read his responses? They make very interesting reading :rolleyes:

I think the poor guy was a bit scared by the locals who where taking great interest in him foraging around the neighborhood. Infact and i quote, he finds the caches "not that enjoyable to do!". :) Well fancy that!

I sympathize with the guy but i think i offered a pretty good description of what he'd be getting himself into. I think maybe he didn't 'get' what they where about. He mentions dirt and rubbish being around the caches..? And he says there where too many people about..? That's pretty much why i did them!

Goldpot - I did come out unscathed thanks ! :-), I got exactly where you were coming from and what the idea was, I think what you do need to think about is though you can still take people there to the same spots without routing around in their gardens ..... by the way did you get my message about the 'cautro' cache as you haven't replied ? what I was getting at is with a little more thought ie use of magnets instead of blu tack, and fixing caches to things instead of simply pushing them into the ground these could be a decent diffrent type of series, I agree we should show people diffrent parts of the country as it isn't all rolling hills and sunny beaches in idyllic settings, but it doesn't mean we want to get covered in mud and crud (on a driveby) or be looking for a cache literally 2 feet away from somebody living room... hope you see what I mean . . .?

Ps what happened to number #3 ? there's a 1-2 then 4-9... ? do you have to fight someone in a bareknuckle cage to get #3 ?

Edited by pete37038

You can either believe that Most Dangerous #3 was rejected or that it was such a great cache that it simply ceased to exist anymore. Either way i'll get it up for you asap.

Just as music and art's greatest moments came from dirty and basic (often home made) ethics, i'd like to think that i'm naturally following a similar path. For example, they may be heald in place with blu tac, but you certainly remembered them!

I'm listening and learning though. You are right about Cuatro, that was a bad oversight. I'm thinking of doing a string of larger caches titled 'Manchester's Finest Waste Grounds'. I might try being a little more professional with that series. No more blutac. And hey, there where no caches in peoples gardens! That was a concrete pathed void in front of someones house! There's a distinct difference!

I'm listening and learning though. You are right about Cuatro, that was a bad oversight. I'm thinking of doing a string of larger caches titled 'Manchester's Finest Waste Grounds'. I might try being a little more professional with that series. No more blutac. And hey, there where no caches in peoples gardens! That was a concrete pathed void in front of someones house! There's a distinct difference!

These are caches with a difference and one day I would like to try them. However I never like caches directly outside peoples houses (be it placed on their property or not). I tend to skip those. This is the case wether its Moss Side or Henley on Thames. The only ones I occasionaly do is when people set caches outside their own house and I still feel a bit awkward about those!

Edited by Foinavon