Regarding the Garmin handlebar mount:

sataraid1

Regarding the Garmin handlebar mount for the Map60 series ... I'm wondering exactly how the loop at the top secures the post on the back of the GPSr.

Is there some kind of spring, or latch? I'm just not seeing what holds it in place.

I'm considering getting one as the starting point for a portable external antenna kit, but don't want to spend the money until I'm sure it will do what I want.

Also, how does it attach to the bar bracket? Does it slide down and lock?

Thanks in advance.

Regarding the Garmin handlebar mount for the Map60 series ... I'm wondering exactly how the loop at the top secures the post on the back of the GPSr.

Is there some kind of spring, or latch? I'm just not seeing what holds it in place.

You have to have the little belt clip "button" (the little round piece you see in the picture you linked to) attached to the GPS - no big deal. That fits into the loop at the top, then the bottom of the GPS snaps into the latch at the bottom of the handlebar bracket. I found it to be very secure.

The piece that fits around the bar opens up pretty wide, so you don't have to slide it on (which would be impossible without removing your grips, levers, etc.). It comes with two rubber pieces of different thicknesses, so it can fit pretty much any size bar. The plastic bracket gets closed around the rubber piece and screwed down, so it is very secure. (Much better than the new handlebar brackets for the Colorado and I assume Oregon series - zip ties?!)

You have to have the little belt clip "button" (the little round piece you see in the picture you linked to) attached to the GPS - no big deal. That fits into the loop at the top, then the bottom of the GPS snaps into the latch at the bottom of the handlebar bracket. I found it to be very secure.

Okay, but what is actually locking it in place? The post fits through the hole, but what's keeping it from coming back out?

I see what appears to be a little bar across the top of the hole. Does that engage the groove in the post? And if so, then is it simply the upward force of the curved plastic at the bottom of the bracket that keeps it secure?

Thanks for the reply ... !

I'm considering getting one as the starting point for a portable external antenna kit, but don't want to spend the money until I'm sure it will do what I want.

Thanks in advance.

Screw the button into the threads on the back of the 60. Put the button through the loop at the top of the cradle, and then snap the lip at the bottom of the cradle into the notch on the bottom of the gps. The cradle then slides into the bar bracket and then snaps into place.

From my experience with this same exact mount I would not recommend it. The loop at the top cracks very easily and then when you hit a bump, the gps will come out of the mount. If you do use it, make sure you wrap the lanyard around the handlebars and take up enough slack so it can't fall into the spokes. I would highly recommend looking at a Ram Mount instead. They are MUCH more secure and MUCH more durable.

Edited by roadrage64

I see what appears to be a little bar across the top of the hole. Does that engage the groove in the post? And if so, then is it simply the upward force of the curved plastic at the bottom of the bracket that keeps it secure?

There's a groove around the side of the button. There's a "lip" inside the loop that snaps into the groove.

Thanks in advance.

My 60C went over 800 mi this summer in one of these mounts, on a Trek 7.5 FX. Never a problem and rock solid. I also wrap the lanyard around the handlebars before mounting, just in case. Good value for the money. Now my bike stays on roads and paved trails, smooth and easy riding. A mountain bike may need something else, but for touring it gets my vote!

Thanks for all the replies. I've got a bead on how the thing works now.

In my case, since I won't actually be using it on a bike, I'm not terribly concerned about off-road or heavy-duty use. I won't be using the handlebar grip part for this project at all. It's simply the least expensive option for obtaining the actual GPS holder itself.

In my case, since I won't actually be using it on a bike, I'm not terribly concerned about off-road or heavy-duty use. I won't be using the handlebar grip part for this project at all. It's simply the least expensive option for obtaining the actual GPS holder itself.

You can buy just the GPS cradle from RAM also, that would have 2 screw holes for attaching. If memory serves me correctly the RAM GPS cradle by itself may be just slightly cheaper than the Garmin handlebar mount. Just thought I'd mention it, in case it might fit your application better.

edit: link to RAM website 60C cradle http://products.ram-mount.com/rammount/pro...r=RAM-HOL-GA12U retail list price is $8.76 for just the cradle. RAM's cradle is more durable Garmin's.

Edited by eaparks

I think a lot of the Garmin stuff is interchangeable, at least it appears to be. I have two handlebar mounts, one for my Legend and one for my 60CSx. The part that goes on the bars is the same for both.

Perusing Fry's electronics a while back, they had an E-Trex series windshield mount, and it looked as if I could lock my 60CSx into it using the cradle from my handlebar mount.

What's the project? Just out of curiosity. We're geeks, we like geek projects.

The cradle is going to be the base of an external antenna holder for my Map60C. I bought one of the Gilsson external antennas (which works incredibly well but EATS batteries), and will fabricate a metal strip for the back of the cradle with a flat spot at the top to attach the magnetic antenna to. (The ground plane really does make a difference).

I'm thinking that with it attached to an easy-to-remove cradle, I can just slip the thing on and off as needed, and when it's on it's not bulky and hard to handle. In fact, I may install an extra belt clip post for easy attachment to the dash of the car.

Anyway, if there's really any interest, I will post pictures of the project in progress and when finished. I will probably order the GPS cradle today.

The cradle is going to be the base of an external antenna holder for my Map60C. I bought one of the Gilsson external antennas (which works incredibly well but EATS batteries), and will fabricate a metal strip for the back of the cradle with a flat spot at the top to attach the magnetic antenna to. (The ground plane really does make a difference).

I'm thinking that with it attached to an easy-to-remove cradle, I can just slip the thing on and off as needed, and when it's on it's not bulky and hard to handle. In fact, I may install an extra belt clip post for easy attachment to the dash of the car.

Anyway, if there's really any interest, I will post pictures of the project in progress and when finished. I will probably order the GPS cradle today.

I for one would like to see this...

I have an external antenna similar to the Gillson that I use for my Garmin iQue 3600 (integrated PDA/GPS). The way I use it on the dash is with the side from a metal electrical box (you know, the kind you can gang together to get two or three switches mounted side by side). It's galvanized metal and is the perfect size for a ground plane (a little under 4" square). I have it sitting on my dash on a small piece of that non-slip drawer liner that you can buy at Wal-Mart for a buck for a placemat size piece. I keep thinking I should glue the non-slip stuff to the underside of the metal piece but they never move on the dash so it never moves up my priority list.

For the metal piece, you can buy covers for junction boxes, or cut a chunk off a joist hangar. The magnetic bottom of the antenna grabs the metal piece securely and any sort of non-slip material will keep them nicely in place wherever you put them on the dash, unless you drive like Danica.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina