How Many Pro Geocachers are Among Us?

... Use my husbands remote control airplane with the camera attached, which he uses to take aerial photos for realtors...

Hah!

"Honey, I really need a remote control airplane so I can, uh, lessee, oh... take pictures of houses for realtors... yeah, that's it!"

"Of course dear, if you need a remote control airplane for you job you should get one."

Now THAT's a salesman! ;)

You missed my method - I replace caches I find with cheap knock-offs (gladware for ammo cans/film cans for bisons/etc.) and sell the contains for a good profit. It's kept me going for the last several years.
I once joked on a forum thread (one about stolen caches that was drifting into the humorous aspects of the matter) that I make a living by stealing all geocaches within a 90 mile radius of my home and selling them on Ebay. Amazingly, I received PMs and emails within the next few days from two Canadian geocachers (each from eastern Canada), each of whom expressed OUTRAGE over my "behavior" and over my post....
Vinny fails to mention the other emails he received in response to that post, requesting information on either becoming a customer or how to get into the business themselves! :sad:

Speaking of which, Vinny, you never sent me the packet of info you promised! ;)

I once joked on a forum thread (one about stolen caches that was drifting into the humorous aspects of the matter) that I make a living by stealing all geocaches within a 90 mile radius of my home and selling them on Ebay. Amazingly, I received PMs and emails within the next few days from two Canadian geocachers (each from eastern Canada), each of whom expressed OUTRAGE over my "behavior" and over my post. I have, in the aftermath of having received those two messages, wondered if Canadians from eastern Canada are perhaps humor-deficient. Scary....

I'm originally from eastern Canada and I think this thread is hilarious! :rolleyes:

Since moving from Canada, I have infiltrated myself into the U.S. and I get paid by the Canadian government to pretend I'm an American geocacher and to steal all of your secrets!! :( MWAH HA HA HA!

Catch me if you can! :)

Edited by rickabrie
You missed my method - I replace caches I find with cheap knock-offs (gladware for ammo cans/film cans for bisons/etc.) and sell the contains for a good profit. It's kept me going for the last several years.
I once joked on a forum thread (one about stolen caches that was drifting into the humorous aspects of the matter) that I make a living by stealing all geocaches within a 90 mile radius of my home and selling them on Ebay. Amazingly, I received PMs and emails within the next few days from two Canadian geocachers (each from eastern Canada), each of whom expressed OUTRAGE over my "behavior" and over my post....
Vinny fails to mention the other emails he received in response to that post, requesting information on either becoming a customer or how to get into the business themselves! :D

Speaking of which, Vinny, you never sent me the packet of info you promised! :rolleyes:

Too Tall John, allow me to remind you that in response to your request for the information packet on stealing caches and selling them and their contents on Ebay, you were sent an auto-reply email informing you that as of January 11, 2007, such packets are available only on Ebay via the "Buy It Now" option; the printed paper version of the document is priced $44.00 plus $14 S/H, and the protected PDF file version sells for $28.00.

Now, please stop whining about this matter.

Thank you for doing the needful.

Sheesh.

:(

:)

I once joked on a forum thread (one about stolen caches that was drifting into the humorous aspects of the matter) that I make a living by stealing all geocaches within a 90 mile radius of my home and selling them on Ebay. Amazingly, I received PMs and emails within the next few days from two Canadian geocachers (each from eastern Canada), each of whom expressed OUTRAGE over my "behavior" and over my post. I have, in the aftermath of having received those two messages, wondered if Canadians from eastern Canada are perhaps humor-deficient. Scary....

I'm originally from eastern Canada and I think this thread is hilarious! :rolleyes:

Since moving from Canada, I have infiltrated myself into the U.S. and I get paid by the Canadian government to pretend I'm an American geocacher and to steal all of your secrets!! :( MWAH HA HA HA!

AAAARRRRGGGHH! As a sincere industrious God-fearing, law-abiding, American patriot, I HATE it when these gol-darned infiltrators from the evil and sinister Canadian empire which lurks (evilly) at the north of our borders brag that they have infiltrated our society in order to further spread Canadian-born mayhem, confusion and disinformation, and to steal our caches and our cache ideas. Begone, ye Canuckian infidel, and repent, for you are nothing more than the puppet of an evil empire which has a secret agenda to rule the world! Go now and sin no more!

Vinny fails to mention the other emails he received in response to that post, requesting information on either becoming a customer or how to get into the business themselves! :ph34r:

Speaking of which, Vinny, you never sent me the packet of info you promised! :)

Too Tall John, allow me to remind you that in response to your request for the information packet on stealing caches and selling them and their contents on Ebay, you were sent an auto-reply email informing you that as of January 11, 2007, such packets are available only on Ebay via the "Buy It Now" option; the printed paper version of the document is priced $44.00 plus $14 S/H, and the protected PDF file version sells for $28.00.

Have I got a deal for you! I can get you the UPDATED printed paper version for just $43.95 (S/H only 12.99). What a savings!!!

Vinny fails to mention the other emails he received in response to that post, requesting information on either becoming a customer or how to get into the business themselves! :ph34r:

Speaking of which, Vinny, you never sent me the packet of info you promised! :ph34r:

Vinny, Vinny, Vinny... :)

You know full well that eBay banned me for life when they found out that I was going to geocaches and stealing back the geocoins I had sold on the site, only to sell them again. They were especially upset when they found I was changing the tracking numbers. (See official eBay policies.)

I would think that you would be more sensitive about such things, especially after you almost got banned for selling hamsters and goats there. (See official eBay policies.)

If you would, please enclose a copy of the requested material with my next shipment of Chemical X. You know I'm good for it.

I'm originally from eastern Canada and I think this thread is hilarious! :ph34r:

Since moving from Canada, I have infiltrated myself into the U.S. and I get paid by the Canadian government to pretend I'm an American geocacher and to steal all of your secrets!! :ph34r: MWAH HA HA HA!

AAAARRRRGGGHH! As a sincere industrious God-fearing, law-abiding, American patriot, I HATE it when these gol-darned infiltrators from the evil and sinister Canadian empire which lurks (evilly) at the north of our borders brag that they have infiltrated our society in order to further spread Canadian-born mayhem, confusion and disinformation, and to steal our caches and our cache ideas. Begone, ye Canuckian infidel, and repent, for you are nothing more than the puppet of an evil empire which has a secret agenda to rule the world! Go now and sin no more!

It snows up there. A lot. There is therefore no reason for humans to go there, unless they are preparing to invade The US.

We don't expect anyone to live at those latitudes so we haven't (yet) installed a border fence as we have so successfully done with our southern neighbors.

Fortunately their plan will fail, because if folks aren't smart enough to be born south of the Mason-Dixon line to start with then they're not smart enough to make a successful invasion... witness that in all these years Canada has yet to successfully invade anywhere but Florida. And New Orleans. Snow gets them up there, floods get them down here. :ph34r:

Our caches are safe. :ph34r:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
My main source of income since turning pro has been finding One Red Paperclip, I've gonethrough a few trades since then though, anyone wanna buy a slightly used Space Shuttle?, or can trade for a B2 Stealth.

The B2 would be nice for sneaking into those FTFs undetected, but they're kind of big and bulky.

I was thinking a helicopter would be ideal for dropping a team of cachers far away from parking.

The moderating team in the "Geocaching Topics" forum does not get paid to go find geocaches. We did, however, demand a large sum of money from Groundspeak -- most of which comes from Platinum Membership sales -- because we have to read all of Vinny's posts.

Quiggle gets a double share of the payments, since he/she/it (many reviewers are dogs) is Vinny's local cache reviewer. It is only fair.

Mainly I spend my portion on trips to Las Vegas.

That doesn't seem quite fair.

She deserves even more than that! :)

Well, I've made a decent amount of money beta-testing cache hides for people. But that doesn't pay all the bills, every month so far. So I also do a little caching tour guide service that seems to do fairly well.

I've thought about selling one of my cache hides to be adopted by the winning bid on ebay, but haven't been that desperate yet.

Collecting geocoins from cache's and then selling them off to other cachers so they can discover them and gain the icon's and then place them back out in cache's on the side is doing very well.

Thanks for the other idea's that I could charge for my services.

I've also found collecting the can's I find out while cache is a good way to score a little extra cash when I take them in to get the nickle deposit back.

I've been doing rather nicely selling a couple of caching aids. One's an external antenna for GPSr's called 'The Dowser' that's made from the twisty part of a coathanger -- I send it to 'em & just tell them that due to the wide variety of handhelds I can't be specific for their particular model, but they're very simple to attach & let them figure it out.

The other is marketed as the Most Evil Cache in the Universe - which of course I can't divulge the details of here for fear of design infringement. The kit consists of a 1/8-oz zip-lock bag full of water, with "special markings" on it. As proof the name isn't just fluff, you'll note that as yet not a single one has ever been reported as found. We can hardly keep up with the demand, & they go for $40 a whack. (I don't market it in the Antarctic or upper Yukon, for obvious reasons.)

But the real money maker has been a service I started offering some 2-1/2 years ago....a counseling service. Available in either per-use or subscription rates, I absorb the guilt associated with DNFs. Clients just mail their 'misses' in to me, along with their reasons, excuses, blames or faults - I'll take anything they want to give, & they don't have to bother Groundspeak or wear the mantle of shame or any other stigma associated with their failure - I bear it all for them. The business has been growing exponentially as word-of-mouth began to get around, as evidenced by fewer & fewer DNFs being filed on Groundspeak's online logging facility. In fact, due to the ever-increasing workload we've started opening a few franchises, & will soon have operations in every state & several foreign countries.

It's very profitable when you can have one part of your business driving the operations of another, and the MECU and DNF Clinics provide just the hand-in-hand vertical integration we hoped for.

Rollin' in it,

~S*H

I've been doing rather nicely selling a couple of caching aids. One's an external antenna for GPSr's called 'The Dowser' that's made from the twisty part of a coathanger -- I send it to 'em & just tell them that due to the wide variety of handhelds I can't be specific for their particular model, but they're very simple to attach & let them figure it out.

The other is marketed as the Most Evil Cache in the Universe - which of course I can't divulge the details of here for fear of design infringement. The kit consists of a 1/8-oz zip-lock bag full of water, with "special markings" on it. As proof the name isn't just fluff, you'll note that as yet not a single one has ever been reported as found. We can hardly keep up with the demand, & they go for $40 a whack. (I don't market it in the Antarctic or upper Yukon, for obvious reasons.)

But the real money maker has been a service I started offering some 2-1/2 years ago....a counseling service. Available in either per-use or subscription rates, I absorb the guilt associated with DNFs. Clients just mail their 'misses' in to me, along with their reasons, excuses, blames or faults - I'll take anything they want to give, & they don't have to bother Groundspeak or wear the mantle of shame or any other stigma associated with their failure - I bear it all for them. The business has been growing exponentially as word-of-mouth began to get around, as evidenced by fewer & fewer DNFs being filed on Groundspeak's online logging facility. In fact, due to the ever-increasing workload we've started opening a few franchises, & will soon have operations in every state & several foreign countries.

It's very profitable when you can have one part of your business driving the operations of another, and the MECU and DNF Clinics provide just the hand-in-hand vertical integration we hoped for.

Rollin' in it,

~S*H

Star Hopper, thanks for your comprehensive and detailed reply. This, along with all the other responses, comprise the kind of informative and illustrative replies that I was hoping for when I started this thread! And so, I extend my thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread so far!

BTW, your counseling service sounds almost like an analogue of a Catholic confessional, or, in the eastern systems, a "karma eater", one who absorbs and digests the bad karma of others. Quite amazing! I am impressed!

My limo driver gets paid to cache.

When I am out caching I sit in the back drinking my beverage of choice and point to where the caches probably are.

My driver finds the cache and puts my name in the log.

I pay him a bonus for every cache he I find.

Brings to mind "Money For Nothing".......'That's the way ya do it!'

I bet you'd be surprised how many sigs have been logged that very way!

(& then likely as not, come in here & wax eloquent about how much they love a good hike.)

*LMBO*

~*

I spent some time as a kid in Eastern Canada. Our family was forced to have our sense of humors surgically removed before we moved in.

I spent some time as a kid in Eastern Canada. Our family was forced to have our sense of humors surgically removed before we moved in.

I appreciated that you bumped this all-important thread in light of the fact that someone recently resurrected a thread dating back to 2003 on the topic of professional geocachers. (And now I get to write the bizarre thing that have been dying to write...) Thank you for doing the needful.

I also receive a small comission for resurecting threads that have faltered and been forgotten long ago.

I've recently heard a tale of a guy who makes a good living out of his Geocaching related activities, although its a very shady tale. It was relayed to me by an aquaintance of mine.

Aparently what this guy has done is to get a hold of a ton of information about geocaches. he then tempts people to try them out, "go, on whats the harm", "all the cool kids are doing it" "first one's free".

He continues to supply free information until the people are addicted. then, he carefully lets them know that what hes been giving them is only a taster, you know, just the entry level stuff. Then he tells them all about the "special stuff" he keeps in back.

The people are all exited cause their cravings are getting stronger and what they've been getting just doesn't seem to be enough anymore. So, then he tells them, you can have as much as you can handle, any time you want, but, and here's the rub, they gotta pay him for it. Of course, by this point, the helpless peeps are so desperate for their next fix, they can't type in their 16+4+3 digits fast enough!

This sordid tale doesn't end here, oh no, once these poor helpless addicts are hooked and receiving their regular fix, they find they need to start paying another guy, who doesn't come from all that far away from the first, for updates and enhancements to their computer systems and gadgets to keep the fixes coming. this second guy (known only as Willie Fences :ph34r: ) is so sneaky, he's even got a slice of the action from the competition, a bunch of fruit growers who make their money selling eye related stuff. ( I did hear that even Forest Gump gets a slice of this action).

So now, I hear that the first guy is starting to drop hints about something stronger to satisfy the real addicts. Its got something to do with Platinum, but that's all I've heard so far..........

:ph34r:

Edited by Volvo Man