Garmin GPS 12XL - transferring info pc to gps?

Hi There.

I have just got my first GPS. A Garmin 12xl. (An old model I know but bought as new and supposedly reliable & accurate).

I am going to order a data cable for it to transfer info from pc to gps.

But what do I actually send?

How do I send and how do I enter/save the info on the GPS?

I'm guessing on the cache pages I click the send to GPS button?

The GPS would have to be in some sort of data receive mode?

Is it worth doing this or should I carry on entering co-ordinates manually?

Would easy gps software be any good or even usable with this GPS?

Lots of Questions I know, but someone out there will have possibly done it a thousand times!!

Thanks,

Neil

I believe the "send to gps" button will not work with the 12. You are better off downloading either the .loc file or .gpx file (have to be a paying member) and opening it in mapsource or easygps and then transferring to the gps. All you have to do is connect the gps to your pc and turn it on to transfer the waypoints from either of those programs.

Edited by IBcrashen

I have a prog gardown for you, it's dos based and will transfer waypoints to and from the 12xl

also easygps works with 12xl

Transfer is easy as long as the gps is in garmin/garmin mode.

Gps is very accurate, has small data field, but for more info on a waypoint you can use the date and timefields.

If you want the gardown prog tell me, I put it on skydisk so you can load it, easy-gps you find on, not sure if this version is working with 12xl, according to their site it should work.

http://www.easygps.com/

Edited by splashy

A good place for buying an economical data cable is on pfranc.com, http://www.pfranc.com/cables/index.shtml for your 12XL it looks like you would need the PD8 cable for $14. If your computer doesn't have a Serial Port connection you'l also need an USB to Serial Port converter. I used a 12XL for many many years, it is a very reliable and accurate work horse without all the bells and whistles that have emerged in the past few years.

You will definitely want to download/upload your waypoints from your PC. It is very time consuming entering directly to GPS. There are several good basic programs available for free that will work on the 12XL.

I used easy gps with my old GPS12 it worked great.

I just found out that my brother in law is sending me his old GPS12. Do you know of anyplace that has information on how to use it for Geocaching?

Thanks in advance

Roger

Gps 12 xl is from before geocaching era, don't expect to much, it will receive waypoints with 6 letter data that's about it.