unregistered TB Found...

MuggleN0More

Make sure first that you've tried all the numbers on the coin correctly. 0 vs O, 5 vs S, 8 vs B, 1 vs I etc.... (it's always a 0, never an O). Does it have anything attached to it, or was it just a tag, or a tag and a copy tag?

I will try your suggestion. Also, it is a tag attached to a laminated piece of paper with instructions. I will let you know if the O=0!

Make sure first that you've tried all the numbers on the coin correctly. 0 vs O, 5 vs S, 8 vs B, 1 vs I etc.... (it's always a 0, never an O). Does it have anything attached to it, or was it just a tag, or a tag and a copy tag?

I will try your suggestion. Also, it is a tag attached to a laminated piece of paper with instructions. I will let you know if the O=0!

You were right! Thank you for the hint. It came form Surrey United Kingdom! We are located in California. We will send it east as it's owners specified. :o

Is the bug listed as being in the cache? Can you tell who dropped it?

It was sent to a local cacher from another who wanted to log some miles on it. The bug was listed and that is why we thought it so odd that it seemed to be unregistered. We got it though. As suggested by Eartha we had the 0 and O mixed up. :o Silly us.

Hi There! I did read the response to this, but this seemed the better to quote...

My Question... Are there any exclusions to characters in use... By this I mean, only zeroes never OHs, only ones, never "I"s, etc. That is one approach to 'uniqueness'. Another would be something to make the character unmistakable... 7s with horizontal bar across stem, zero with a line, slash or dot etc...

Just wondering... I normally check any alphanumeric for variants by habit... and still get occasional burns!

Doug 7RXC

Hi There! I did read the response to this, but this seemed the better to quote...

My Question... Are there any exclusions to characters in use... By this I mean, only zeroes never OHs, only ones, never "I"s, etc. That is one approach to 'uniqueness'. Another would be something to make the character unmistakable... 7s with horizontal bar across stem, zero with a line, slash or dot etc...

Just wondering... I normally check any alphanumeric for variants by habit... and still get occasional burns!

Doug 7RXC

Do TBtravel bug numbers have the same restrictions on characters that GCcache numbers have in the base 31 ssytem in use?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3293866

There was a recent post right here in the geocoini forums where someone couldn't find, anywhere on his keyboard, a 0 with a dash through it. He had never run across the fact that that is just a 0 zero and not an O Oh. And of course his keyboard does not have Swedish or Scandinavian characters, LOL.

Another satisfied customer. :D

I think he'd be even more satisfied if it were an unactivated 'gift' travel bug tag. But then he'd have to go and find the activation code.

This happened to us when we very first started caching (waaayyy back in march :D ). We waited for a while for someone to activate it and then I used the activation code from the travel bugs that I had just purchased and just like that, Newport was born (adopted) TB21NE0. He has traveled pretty far too....

Like I said we were new, now I probably would wait more than a couple of weeks to try and activate it, but how long do you wait before you figure it as a gift?

Do TBtravel bug numbers have the same restrictions on characters that GCcache numbers have in the base 31 ssytem in use?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3293866

There was a recent post right here in the geocoini forums where someone couldn't find, anywhere on his keyboard, a 0 with a dash through it. He had never run across the fact that that is just a 0 zero and not an O Oh. And of course his keyboard does not have Swedish or Scandinavian characters, LOL.

Hi There... thanks for that reference... I also picked up either the same or similar as a quote from Eartha re another recent thread... I suspected that some characters had been omitted OR dealt with by some other means such as position in the series... something like the Vehicle Identification Numbers... certain characters are ok in some places but not others... also dependent on the brand...

Of course you raised another question... are all the characters Ascii or one of the international fonts... :laughing:

Doug

I was in Webster, NY in 11/7 doing some caching and found "Trailblaze" GCM32E, adjacent to the Hojack Trail. My printout said that there was a TB waiting for me named "Fred the Head". The only TB in the cache was a rubber/plastic pumpkinhead watch/watchband. I figured it was Fred and took it home only to find out through the logs that Fred was something else and headed for Texas some 3 years ago (even tho it's still listed in NY). I tried to retrieve pumpkinhead but got the response that it hasn't been activated yet. Looking back though the log entries it seems that "geohunter_ny" placed a TB there in Oct. and has only 2 finds. I'm getting the impression that this person is new. I do not have the proper activation code for this TB. I wrote to this person and have gotten no response either. Does anyone know what to do in this case or actually know this cacher. It'd be a shame to let it go by the wayside if I can find answers.

PEACE

I was in Webster, NY in 11/7 doing some caching and found "Trailblaze" GCM32E, adjacent to the Hojack Trail. My printout said that there was a TB waiting for me named "Fred the Head". The only TB in the cache was a rubber/plastic pumpkinhead watch/watchband. I figured it was Fred and took it home only to find out through the logs that Fred was something else and headed for Texas some 3 years ago (even tho it's still listed in NY). I tried to retrieve pumpkinhead but got the response that it hasn't been activated yet. Looking back though the log entries it seems that "geohunter_ny" placed a TB there in Oct. and has only 2 finds. I'm getting the impression that this person is new. I do not have the proper activation code for this TB. I wrote to this person and have gotten no response either. Does anyone know what to do in this case or actually know this cacher. It'd be a shame to let it go by the wayside if I can find answers.

PEACE

Let me do some poking around but if worse comes to worst you can get the bug activated. You can always adopt it back out to the owner.