GPS and maps for the Isle of Man

Manx Cat

The Garmin Topo(graphical) maps of the UK don't show the IoM but the City Navigator does but only to street level. Memory Map (digital Ordnance Survey) also covers the IoM but these maps don't run on handheld GPS's, you can only run it on a PC or pocket pc (PDA).

Car satnav's can be used for 'caching but devices like TomTom don't have a 'goto' arrow like handheld GPS's which makes them not so easy to use. But.. an option (bit pricey) is to buy a pda like the Mio P360 which will run the Memory Map OS maps and can run TomTom as well. As a handheld with the OS maps you can add waypoints and get a 'goto' arrow. Prices? PDA about £180. Memory Map 1:50K (landranger scale) for Northern UK (inc IoM) £50. Not sure what TomTom costs for it.

Hope this helps!

Chris (MrB)

Welcome to the forums Manx Cat. As the Blorenges said a car satnav isn't ideal but some people do use them. Many cachers also use a GPSr without a map on the unit (I do) and just follow the arrow, and you can supplement this with a good old paper Ordonance Survey map.

A GPSr with maps isn't a necessity for geocaching, but it's a useful tool that many like to have :yikes:

Have you tried Open Street Map? (openstreetmap.org). There is a tool to convert OSM data to Garmin IMG files, called mkgmap. There are also some premade IMG files that other people have generated (saving the trouble if the technical aspects seem a bit daunting). I've just checked the map on my Garmin (generated from OSM data) and there are certainly roads mapped for the Isle of Man.