Sample contact letter?

Crid

I'm trying to find a sample contact letter, for contacting a landowner to ask about placing a cache on their land. I thought there was one somewhere on GC.com, but I don't seem to be able to find it. Is there one here? Or did I - as George Bush would say - "misremember" where I saw it?

I don't know that I have ever seen one, but here's how I would write it:

Format for Letter Requesting Permission To Enter Private Property

(to be printed on Official or Personal Letterhead)

(Insert Name of Private Landowner) (Insert Date)

(Insert Address of Private Landowner)

Dear (Insert Name of Private Landowner):

I play a free game called geocaching in which we hide geocaches for others to find. A geocache is some form of waterproof container which contains a paper log sheet. When we find an interesting location which we would like to introduce others to we hide a geocache nearby and post the geographic coordinates (latitude longitude) on the geocache listing website http://www.geocaching.com. Players read about geocaches on that site and hunt for them by using a GPS (Global Positioning Satellite receiver) to navigate to the posted coordinates and there look for the hidden geocache.

Hidden geocaches are expected to conform to certain guidelines before they can be listed online, examples being that no digging is allowed and the container must not contain anything offensive or illegal. Beyond the listing guidelines geocachers often choose to practice a clean-up-as-you-cache practice known as CITO – Cache In Trash Out and may adopt eco-friendly practices such as Leave No Trace where we do our best to avoid creating new trails.

All geocaches hidden on private land require us to get placement permission from the landowner or responsible party.

There is a (describe general location - waterfall one-quarter mile west of the gate to your property) at (give coordinates) that I think is a lovely place and one that I would like to introduce to my fellow geocachers.

I hereby request your permission to hide one geocache (describe exact location – under the flat rock 35’ north of the trail and 65’ east of the waterfall at the coordinates (give cache coordinates). I will list the wide shoulder of WhereItsAt Road near the corner fencepost at (give parking coordinates) as the recommended safe parking.

As I am sure that you are aware the State of Maine holds landowners legally harmless against liability due to injury since you are not charging access fees.

If you have any questions about this you may contact me (insert your name, address, phone and email).

If you consent to this request, please sign below and (list method of return, e.g., self-addressed stamped envelope provided, leave at a designated location, etc.).

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

(Signature and Printed Name of Requestor)

Approval: ________________________________________ Date:_______________

Landowner Signature

There is no official one that I'm aware of. I came up with one that a few people have used. You are free to use it as is, or alter it in any way you see fit.

Dear _______:

I'm writing to request permission to place a geocache in _______. If you are not familiar with the term geocache, it's the focal point of a sport called geocaching. This entails a person hiding a small container (the geocache), usually containing a log book and trinkets, then using a Global Positioning System receiver (GPSr) to mark the longititude and latitude of the geocache. The coordinates are then published on the Internet to allow others to find it.

Geocaching is a fun, family oriented activity that has the benefit of getting people outdoors and introducing them to areas of historic, natural, or scenic interest.

Managers of many parks and nature preserves have determined that geocaching is a beneficial, low impact activity and encourage the sport on their lands. They see the additional visitors and increased exposure that geocaching brings as a plus. Similarly, geocachers often discover exciting new places through the sport, while getting exercise and gaining an appreciation for these areas.

I believe that ________ is one of the special places that would be of interest to geocachers and would like to explore the possibility of my placing a geocache there. I will be calling you shortly to discuss this, or if you prefer you can contact me at _________.

Thank You,

Have a look at the Geocaching Association of Great Britain website. They have an extensive landowner database where you'll find what permission is needed, landowners who do not allow caching and also pro-forma letters for some of them. You may also find the newly created UK Resources website (wot I wrote :o ) useful as it has specific info for placing caches in the UK, Nature Reserves, SSSI's, churchyards and so on.

Chris (MrB)