order of caches in last 30 days

trainlove

Is it me, or has the site started to totally randomize the order of cache find logs (and note logs...) when one goes to My Account?

I know it used to be a reverse order of when you logged them, but the other day I did five or six caches, and wrote a note log, and the actual order that they show up on the "My logs (last 30 days)" for that day is completely random, not reverse, not forward, no relation to the order I wrote those logs.

People rely on consistancy. Please be so.

If not then please add a time and date stamp to ALL logs as they appear in that summary, and well how about in the actual logs too since it exists as all cache owners can attest to.

Edited to add:

And it also used to be that ALL travel bug activity would come first (within that day) before ALL geocache activity. Now that's also random.

Edited by trainlove
Is it me, or has the site started to totally randomize the order of cache find logs (and note logs...) when one goes to My Account?

I know it used to be a reverse order of when you logged them, but the other day I did five or six caches, and wrote a note log, and the actual order that they show up on the "My logs (last 30 days)" for that day is completely random, not reverse, not forward, no relation to the order I wrote those logs.<snip>

I too have been noticing all of what you mention, and I *guess I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hope that this is just a random (sic) occurrence, and that things will return to the way they were. What's the point of going for "special" caches for milestones if all the logs show up willy-nilly? ... Well, I guess we should be glad that they show up at all, otherwise we might as well join that subset of cachers that just go out and find caches without ever logging anything. :o

I know it used to be a reverse order of when you logged them, but the other day I did five or six caches, and wrote a note log, and the actual order that they show up on the "My logs (last 30 days)" for that day is completely random, not reverse, not forward, no relation to the order I wrote those logs.<snip>

I too have been noticing all of what you mention, and I *guess I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hope that this is just a random (sic) occurrence, and that things will return to the way they were. What's the point of going for "special" caches for milestones if all the logs show up willy-nilly? ... Well, I guess we should be glad that they show up at all, otherwise we might as well join that subset of cachers that just go out and find caches without ever logging anything. :o

I also reported an issue with regards to 'Geocaches' for my account. When I attempt to click to a previous month, it goes nowhere. GC.com even acknowledged my problem, stated they are working on it, BUT as with all companies with any measure of success, they soon become bored with their customers and feel they do not need to correct problems in a timely fashion or for that matter even keep the customer abreast of what they are doing! Highly irritated here! Semper Fi MAC! :D;):D

MAJOR_DAD

Edited by Major_Dad

I have been trying to tell you all to keep track for yourselves, and not rely on this site for the actual order of your finds.

Nobody believed me.

Everyone said their finds were in the correct order.

Me, too. I've been saying the same thing.

Since gc.com refuses to allow us to use date/time for logs, and only sorts them by date, then that is all people should expect. Anything further is liable to disappear at any time, and isn't reliable in any case.

If you want gc.com to allow you to store logs in order, then request that they add the functionality. As I have said numerous times, they are already STORING the time for every log as midnight! Changing the data saved will not require any additional server resources.

What's the point of going for "special" caches for milestones if all the logs show up willy-nilly?

When I attempt to click to a previous month, it goes nowhere. GC.com even acknowledged my problem, stated they are working on it

I have been trying to tell you all to keep track for yourselves, and not rely on this site for the actual order of your finds.

Nobody believed me.

Everyone said their finds were in the correct order.

Me, too. I've been saying the same thing.

Since gc.com refuses to allow us to use date/time for logs, and only sorts them by date, then that is all people should expect. Anything further is liable to disappear at any time, and isn't reliable in any case.

If you want gc.com to allow you to store logs in order, then request that they add the functionality. As I have said numerous times, they are already STORING the time for every log as midnight! Changing the data saved will not require any additional server resources.

I actually do keep track elsewhere, but have rely'd on some semblance of order at groundspeaks end. And in my spreadsheets I do keep a column for offsets from order for cases when a cache is not actually published by the time I get around to log it I.E. Some of the 5 dozen caches of The Great Northern Tier Geocaching Tournament...

As for the calendar being broken, of course they know about it, they had dozens of posts on it the several times it got broken, you would think they remember how they fixed it each time they have for the last several times. I most recently mentioned it in http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=206127 perhaps you should bump up that topic since nobody replied to it.

I don't believe database is broken, just that page. There is a correctly ordered list (at least the old order) when you look at My Geocaching Log (All) page and My Geocaching Details page. These can be found by picking Quickview| Watchlist|Geocaches along the top and Show all Logs for: Caches, above the logs.

We have a bug report open for the "last 30 days" logs on the profile page and will hopefully see some progress on that soon. Showing logs in a reverse chronological order should be the goal since I think that makes the most sense. For those of you that use this feature regularly I'm very sorry for the inconvenience while we sort it out.

B)

I too have been noticing all of what you mention, and I *guess I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hope that this is just a random (sic) occurrence, and that things will return to the way they were. What's the point of going for "special" caches for milestones if all the logs show up willy-nilly? ... Well, I guess we should be glad that they show up at all, otherwise we might as well join that subset of cachers that just go out and find caches without ever logging anything. :)

I also reported an issue with regards to 'Geocaches' for my account. When I attempt to click to a previous month, it goes nowhere. GC.com even acknowledged my problem, stated they are working on it, BUT as with all companies with any measure of success, they soon become bored with their customers and feel they do not need to correct problems in a timely fashion or for that matter even keep the customer abreast of what they are doing! Highly irritated here! Semper Fi MAC! :mad:;):mad:

MAJOR_DAD

Hmmm...no response...I wonder if this is a sign of Geocaching.com's demise? I guess I will just have to start 'TerraCaching' instead?

Hmmm...no response...I wonder if this is a sign of Geocaching.com's demise? I guess I will just have to start 'TerraCaching' instead?

What do you mean, no response?

Just look at the 3 things that OpinioNate said were put on the docket yesterday. That doesn't mean it will be done today, or even this year. But it's on their RADAR.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=206946

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=206961&hl=

and more importantly, for you at least:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=206127&hl=

There are other threads you know.

I'm so happy that the 3 things I recently mentioned are being looked at, it's a rare day that my desires get noticed by them, I think it only happened a couple other times in the past. On theotherhand, other things I say get constantly noticed by them, LOL.

You might want to check out the Terracaching site, if only to see how good we have at geocaching.com. I'm registered at both, but hardly do any terracaching due to the unmitigated and unrelenting kludginess and frustration of that site. And I am at least nominally a techie!

I'm so happy that the 3 things I recently mentioned are being looked at, it's a rare day that my desires get noticed by them, I think it only happened a couple other times in the past. On theotherhand, other things I say get constantly noticed by them, LOL.

Those "other things" just get noticed by Keystone and me. adminbricksmiley.gif

;)B):)

Major_Dad must have missed Nate's "Moderator" image below his avatar, his "Site Wide Moderators" group ranking and "Groundspeak Lackey" forum title. I am glad they are going to work on this too. I am one of the freaks that logs everything in order so I appreciate that page being in order. At least INATN does get the milestones right for me, which I really like.

Well the listing on the members page might be screwy, but the logid's are still correct which means my FindStatGen listing is still correct. I've never really depended on the account page listing so it being scrambled really doesn't bother me. Now if they were to screw up the logid's ...

Jim

I know the order, I know the order!!!

I don't have enough finds to say this for absolute sure, but it seems to be the age of the cache.

If its in order of GC code or placed date I'm not sure because all the data (finds) I have happen to have those items in the same order.

This being true, its very obviously a mis-coded sql statement.

If its in order of GC code or placed date I'm not sure because all the data (finds) I have happen to have those items in the same order.

actually since placed date can be fuzziwudged, and GC number itself used to not be sequential, but ordered by state, it's probably by the lesser known ID number which I think IS sequential.

I like to point to this message for the known (by me) kinds of links to geo-information:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3617561

Edited by trainlove
actually since placed date can be fuzziwudged, and GC number itself used to not be sequential, but ordered by state, it's probably by the lesser known ID number which I think IS sequential.

If there were GC numbers assigned by state, they only affect a few caches from the very beginning. I have never seen one where the ID did not coincide with the waypoint, and I've been to GC76.

Well the listing on the members page might be screwy, but the logid's are still correct which means my FindStatGen listing is still correct. I've never really depended on the account page listing so it being scrambled really doesn't bother me. Now if they were to screw up the logid's ...

There are many ways to screw up your logid order over which you have no control. Ever forgotten to log a cache and had to do it later? Ever had a log deleted by the owner?

Date and time of find would work so much better than logids.

Do you mean date and time you entered a log into the system? I log mine days behind sometimes (like right now I am behind by well over a week on some), so that seems like it would not work.

If instead you mean that you would have to enter a date and time for the find itself when you make a log, what about the logs made previously?

Like I say, as one who logs in order religiously, I am just trying to understand.

Do you mean date and time you entered a log into the system? I log mine days behind sometimes (like right now I am behind by well over a week on some), so that seems like it would not work.

If instead you mean that you would have to enter a date and time for the find itself when you make a log, what about the logs made previously?

I mean the latter. That entering the date and time of the find would be an option. I understand that this will not fix the existing logs unless you went back and did them by hand, and I know that is a problem. But, at least for those of us who care about the order of our logs, it would be fixed going forward. TO my mind, this has been a consistent problem with the database schema since the beginning. Changing it sooner rather than later will minimize the conversion problems.

For those who don't care, it could be left at midnight by default.

Gotcha'. What a drag though. I would still want the log id part to come into play, since my milestones still stay in order. I would not want to abandon it. There are a couple of milestones out of order though, because of forgetting to log a cache on milestone day, so I see your point. You have a bunch of found caches like me (and a third again more than me), and I would hate to have to go back and edit almost 2,700 logs.

Gotcha'. What a drag though. I would still want the log id part to come into play, since my milestones still stay in order. I would not want to abandon it. There are a couple of milestones out of order though, because of forgetting to log a cache on milestone day, so I see your point. You have a bunch of found caches like me (and a third again more than me), and I would hate to have to go back and edit almost 2,700 logs.

I'm not suggesting that log ID be abandoned; I am suggesting that date and time of logs be added as an option. An automated way to update past logs would be gravy.

In my scheme, the logs would be ordered first by date and time and then by logid. So if you didn't use the date/time feature the ordering would work exactly as it does now.

In your case, where the number of out-of-order caches is small, you could go back and put in the times only for those days on which you have an out-of-order logid. So you could fix your online database permanently with only a few changes.

One other feature that would be very nice to have online that I have implemented offline: I make a map with my finds for the last 30 days shown as a path. It is easy, looking at the path, to see out-of-order finds, because they tend to make big excursions. An alternate implementation would allow us to get a PQ of our finds for just the last 30 days more often than once a week, and then people could use offline apps to do it as I do. The advantage of such a thing more than once a week is that you could use it every day to review your finds and ensure the correct order.

I mean the latter. That entering the date and time of the find would be an option. I understand that this will not fix the existing logs unless you went back and did them by hand, and I know that is a problem.

I think that eventually I would get around to doing this, if it were an option.

I WOULD NOT do it if it entailed adding the dreaded 'This log edited by AZcachemeister on such-and-such date and time.' note.

I hate that! :ph34r:

I understand the reason for it, but I don't have to like it! :)