Feature Request: User customizable Twitter updates

M-T-P

First, let me say thank you for creating http://coord.info and the sharing feature of the geocaching website. I'm glad to see geocaching moving into the interconnected and social world of Web 2.0. However, I would like to make one major suggestion.

Is there any possibility that you would allow members of Geocaching.com who use the "Share" feature to publish data to Twitter to customize how those messages are sent? It is very apparent that the designers of this feature ultimately had Facebook in mind as the final destination of these updates, but not all of us normally tweet in the "... is doing something" format. In fact, most Twitter users in general do not begin each tweet with a verb.

I'd really like the ability to control what message is sent to Twitter. For example, I would much prefer to tweet "I'm heading to geocache ..." instead of "is heading to ...." Other users might like to begin tweets with a verb and could leave the default message.

Ideally, I'd like to see a user configurable options screen that has 4 blanks (Found, DNF, Heading To, Leaving From). In each of these four blanks would be your prefilled "default" messages as such:

Found - "has found the geocache %NAME% %COORD%."

DNF - "did not find the geocache %NAME% %COORD%."

Heading To - "is heading to geocache %NAME% %COORD%."

Leaving - "has left the geocache %NAME% %COORD%."

Using this screen, users could customize each of those messages like this:

Found - "Found the geocache, %NAME%. %COORD%"

DNF - "I couldn't find %NAME%, %COORD%."

Heading To - "I'm heading out to geocache, %NAME% - %COORD%."

Leaving - "I'm leaving geocache, %NAME%."

This would also give those of us who use the Facebook App "Tweeter" to continue using our customized prefix messages. For example, all of my Facebook status updates from Twitter.com using Tweeter are prefixed with "says:" and look like "John Doe says: The weather in Texas is nice today!" Right now, these updates that begin with a verb look like "John Doe says: is heading to the geocaching ...."

Thanks so much for this fantastic new feature, and thanks for considering this request for future enhancement!

M-T-P (member since 12/2004)

Sharing....M-T-P is referring to the new feature where others can see your status on Twitter & Facebook, such as when you mark a cache found, tell that you're heading to a cache, returning from one and so on. This is done when logging caches with SMS/TextMarks.

Edited to greatly clarify what I wanted to say.

Edited by Skippermark

Since it appears that no Groundspeak employee commented on this thread to acknowledge this feature suggestion, is there a more appropriate place to send suggestions like this? Or better yet, is it possible to send a specific suggestion for a particular feature to the particular person(s) who developed that feature?

Thanks!

M-T-P