Are paperless and GPS exclusive

sanna

I have read a few entries and am confused: :rolleyes: Perhaps I am looking at two unique products here but my husband wants to upgrade his GPSr so he can include street maps for navigation but he also wants to go paperless. Do I need to look at two different products or is there one that can satisfy both needs? Any recommendations for products is appreciated... He has over 4,800 finds and has done them ALL without street maps so would like to upgrade his GPSr and reduce paper printouts.

Thanks!

Oh I love my Legend HC (except for the blasted rubber grip that came unglued).

I use an iPod Classic 160GB (but an 80 would work great too) I just use a macro in GSAK that shifts cache pages to the Notes section. IT works for older iPods as well but it goes to the address book as there is no Notes section so it holds slightly less information. Just another option depending on what you are looking to spend.

Garmin Colorado or Oregon are the only two (Garmin brand) GPSr's that support both.

EDIT: My apologies to A.B.E.L., I may have misread the above and my prior comment, now deleted, was not appropriate.

In addition to those two Garmin models, the DeLorme PN-20 and PN-40 models provide caching capability that is totally paperless on a standalone basis.

When I say that, I mean that everything needed for paperless geocaching is in the box. Nothing else is required to be aquired, no other third party maps, no other third party software and no other hardware such as PDAs.

Check here:

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtp...p?section=10460

Standalone as bundled, no extra third party software or PDAs to buy.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Just a recap: For an all in one paperless geocaching/navigating device, you have these choices:

Garmin Colorado, Oregon, Nuvi 500 or 550 (I don't believe anyone mentioned the Nuvi's yet, and they also come preloaded with routeable maps) and Delorme PN-20 or PN-40. (If I left anything out, please feel free to add to the list :D)

If he's ok with using separate devices, then you'll have many more options. A friend of mine uses his iPod as mentioned above with his Vista HCx and it works out great. The only thing is that it doesn't do field notes, which is a feature that I've come to love about my Colorado.

I only have experience with the Colorado (and soon the Oregon), and I really like mine. I've never used the Nuvi's or the Delorme's. Though I would love to see the Delorme PN-40 in person, as it sounds very impressive. (nobody stocks them where I live, so I can't play with anything before I buy ;) , that and I don't think they've actually been shipped out yet anyway :o )

Happy hunting!

Edited by PhilAun

I use a Garmin GPSMap 60 handheld for the actual caching, but I use a Nuvi 200W both for onroad navigation and for paperless caching (requires the GSAK software, pocket queries, and a free GSAK macro to do the paperless with the Nuvi. There is a thread in this forum on the subject if you're interested in going this route)