COINTEST! Yet again

NeverSummer

Well, I'm still waiting to hear about getting the job I interviewed for last week. I'm getting antsy, but I think I have the perfect solution to the jitters:

COINTEST!

I've been very blessed with the kind words as I've been selling off some of my coins to make ends meet, and I'm more than happy to pass that good karma on to the community. Thank you, again, to each of you that has been wishing me well in my quest for a job and ending my unemployment in a very uncertain time.

So, here you go. Rules are simple:

1 post per DAY

1 Answer per post

Cointest will end once someone guesses the answer to this question:

What lighthouse (in the whole world) am I thinking of right now?

Bonus points for great photos of your guess, double ultra bonus points if you took the photo yourself!

Got it? Then:

READY...SET...GO!

Crooked River Lighthouse

Thanks for the contest!

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse.:

One advantage to being up this late is you get two guesses within 11 minutes of each other ;)

It would be an advantage, but the time stamps on your posts show that they were both posted on Oct 29...I'll consider this your get out of jail free card! :rolleyes:

Edited by NeverSummer

Crooked River Lighthouse

Thanks for the contest!

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse.:

One advantage to being up this late is you get two guesses within 11 minutes of each other :)

It would be an advantage, but the time stamps on your posts show that they were both posted on Oct 29...I'll consider this your get out of jail free card! :rolleyes:

Thanks,

I was using Groundspeak time. ;) Too confusing for me.

If this causes any problems I'll take the disqualification if one of my answers were correct.

Greg

Edited by Roaring_Fork

michigan.jpg

HAUNTED MICHIGAN

HAUNTED LIGHTHOUSES

The Shores of Michigan

What brings ghosts and lighthouses together? Perhaps they are haunted by

residual energy from the past... or the spriits of their former keepers, who cannot cross over

and leave their lights unattended..

There is no doubt that the Great Lakes, and the shores of Michigan, have more than their share of lighthouses. These lights have guided the way for sailors for generations....and may be still guiding the way today, for their ghosts.

lighths.gif

Ghosts and old lighthouses often seem to go together. Many lighthouses have ghosts, or at least tales of ghosts, that usually revolve around lonely lighthouse keepers or shipwrecks caused by some failure to keep the tower light burning. The commonly haunted spot in an old lighthouse is invariably the stairs to the tower.... why? Those who are familiar with a "residual" haunting will say that the energy expended on those stairs has left an imprint that repeats itself over and over again causing the sound of phantom footsteps to be heard. When the human occupants of the lighthouse try to track down a source for the sounds... there is usually no one there.

There are also those other lighthouses.... haunted by phantoms from the past that still reach out to the present day. The tower of Michigan's old Saginaw River Light is said to be a place where a ghost of the past may walk.... or at least it sounds as if he does. This lighthouse is said to be haunted, but no one really knows who the ghost might be. Many believe that it could be the spirit of an old lighthouse keeper who died in the building. Before passing on, he begged his family to keep the light going and to never let it go out. By all accounts, the family did just that and the light was kept burning for many years.

Shortly after the Coast Guard took over the light, strange things started to be reported here. Namely it was the sound of heavy boots on the iron staircase that were often heard. When the men would go to check and see who was on the stairs, they would find no one there. Another haunted spot is the Presque Isle Light near Alpena, Michigan. The tale is told here of a lighthouse keeper's wife who went insane because of the loneliness of her husband's position. It is said that he imprisoned the madwoman in a cell below the lighthouse and she spent her last days there, shrieking insanely. It is said that her screams can still be heard today.

During the 1930's and 1940's, the lighthouse at Thunder Bay Island, east of Alpena, Michigan was reputedly haunted by the ghost of a former keeper named "Morgan". It is believed that his spirits walks here because of his death many years ago. He died of loneliness in this desolate spot, a place so remote that the lighthouse was automated in 1980. The island is abandoned now...except for the ghost of "Morgan", who still roams the island's shoreline.

Well, I hope u r thinking of this one, as I think of this one a lot. My family and I used to spend our holidays in St. Peter Ording, when I was a child. I really liked the light house, even called it my friend :rolleyes:

When we spent our holidays there during easter time, we used to find little chocolate eggs around it :) My sister and I realized later (years after) that my dad used to drop them before ;)

1-672-28.jpg

How about the one on Lighthouse Island in Tionesta PA. The island was the site of a sand and gravel mining operation for many years, but was donated by J. Jack Sherman to the Hunting & Fishing Museum of PA as a building site along the beautiful Allegheny River. The island boasts of several interesting and scenic sites. It is located at the confluence of the Allegheny River and the Tionesta Creek. The riverbank surrounding the island averages 10-15 feet high, is rocky and steep, with dense vegetation and a narrow (0- 10' wide), rocky flat area adjacent to the water. The historic Timber Crib Dam, circa 1872 and nominated as a National Historic Structure, lies at the mouth of Tionesta Creek on the eastern shore of the island. A boat launch into the Allegheny River is open to the public free of charge at the upstream end of the island, while the downstream end of the island offers handicapped access to a recently constructed fishing pier.

Yep you read it right, a lighthouse on a river & creek. The first I ever heard of this.

c783b343-26ad-4710-9e2c-188ded629600.jpg

The cache AGT-Forest-Lighthouse Island Cache

I love it! Great guesses (mostly due to the photos and stories some have shared!)

BUT, none right so far! (Go figure, right? Only HOW many lighthouses in the world?)

So, your hint:

North America

I'll be back after heading out on an unemployed midday cycling cache run!

Cheers!

Split Rock light house on the North shore of Lake Superior!

MY MY! Looks like we have a winner! I stepped away to log some cache stuff and get dinner going and missed this one completely!

Congrats, Dardevle! Send me your info and I can get it on its way!

split-rock-lighthouse-020308-web.jpg

Edited by NeverSummer

By the way, this Lighthouse is tops on my list. My family has visited many lighthouses around the United States and Canada, and having lived in Minnesota, this was always near and dear to my heart. I'm feeling plenty homesick for a Minnesota fall and winter...as well as my regular trips to the North Shore of Lake Superior.

Thanks, everyone for participating!

dardevle gets an Outer Banks Lighthouse Benchmark Antique Nickel coin! Hooray! (I've frequented Hatteras and Bodie, and well as many other OBX lighthouses.)

Might it be the landlocked Mt. Greylock lighthouse in WESTERN Massachusetts? :o

This lighthouse was originally to be placed in Boston Harbor but instead it was assembled on Mount Greylock, the highest point in the state at 3491 feet above sea level.

BTW ... I realize there was already a winner. I just thought I'd share this oddity among lighthouses with everybody.

6efea399-db4b-470e-9001-57eaba595189.jpg

Edited by Western Mass Clan

Might it be the landlocked Mt. Greylock lighthouse in WESTERN Massachusetts? :o

This lighthouse was originally to be placed in Boston Harbor but instead it was assembled on Mount Greylock, the highest point in the state at 3491 feet above sea level.

BTW ... I realize there was already a winner. I just thought I'd share this oddity among lighthouses with everybody.

Sure! Keep 'em coming!...but if we do, we should move the conversation to Off Topic once dardevle gets a chance to check in!

Block Island Lighthouse off the coast of Rhode Island (never been there, would love to go)

Block4.jpg

I know this is a repeat, I'll think of another.

This is was my guess. I was their about a month after this picture was taken what a sight. Is well worth the trip. Just book the trip and go, any time of the year.

butler.jpg

Inventory of Historic Light Stations

Massachusetts Lighthouses

Back to Inventory - Home Page

Back to Inventory - List of Massachusetts Lighthouses

BUTLER FLATS LIGHT

State: MASSACHUSETTS

Nearest City: NEW BEDFORD

County: BRISTOL

U.S.C.G. District: 1

Year Station Established: 1804

Butler Flats Light

Photo by Jeremy D'Entremont

Existing Historic Tower:

* Year Light First Lit: 1898

* Is the Light Operational? YES (PRIVATE AID TO NAVIGATION)

* Date Deactivated: N/A

* Automated: 1978

* Foundation Materials: CAST IRON/CONCRETE CAISSON

* Construction Materials: BRICK

* Markings/Patterns: WHITE TOWER/BLACK BASE & LANTERN

* Shape: CONCIAL ON CYLINDRICAL BASE

* Relationship to Other Structures: INTEGRAL

* Tower Height: 53

* Original Optic: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL

* Year Original Lens Installed:

* Present Optic: RB-300 MAXLUMINA ROTATING BEACON

* Year Present Lens Installed: 1998

* Height of Focal Plane: 53

* Fresnel Lens Disposition:

* Has tower been moved? NO

Previous Tower(s):

* 1. Construction Date:

* Description:

* Fate/Disposition:

Modern Tower? NO

Existing Sound Signal Building? NO

* Fog Signal Type: (INACTIVE)

Existing Keepers Quarters? YES

* Year Constructed: 1898

* Number of Stories: 0

* Architectural Style: INTEGRAL

* Construction Materials: BRICK

Other Structures: NONE

Current Use: PRIVATE AID TO NAVIGATION

Owner/Manager: U.S. COAST GUARD LEASE TO CITY OF NEW BEDFORD

Open to the Public? NO

Web Site:

National Register Status: LISTED; Reference #87001528

Name of Listing: BUTLER FLATS LIGHT (LIGHTHOUSES OF MASSACHUSETTS TR)

On State List/Inventory? YES; Year Listed:

Miscellaneous:

REPLACED LIGHT AT CLARK'S POINT; DESIGNED BY F. HOPKINSON SMITH; REPLACEMENT LIGHT BUILT ON BREAKWATER IN 1975

Congrats Dardevle, my friend!!!! :laughing:

Thank you neverSummer for the cointest!

BTW....why ..... Never Summer??? you do not like Summers???? :yikes:

Just to post a photo, here is a famous lighthouse of my island!!! :laughing:

That is the St. Nicolas fort from the Knight period (St. John knights), and the lighthouse is from the Ottoman times!

Rodosmadraki.jpg

StNikolasfortlighthouse.jpg

Here are some other light houses in Greece!

One in Chania Crete....

ChaniaGRCE.jpg

And one in Andros island, in Cyclades! It has the name Tourlitis! WOW!!!

TourlitisGRCEandros.jpg