Help with understanding coins

The_Wanderers

Sorry if this has been answered before but I have searched the forums for information of Geocoin etiquette and procedures and have not really found good answers (seems a bit vague). Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing with them. I understand that some are not trackable and can be kept and some are trackable (with a 6 character code). I also understand that some have a purpose and should be passed on to that purpose. Can one keep any that do not have a disignated purpose? Can I start just collecting these or is that not acceptable? For example, I just picked up a Minnesota Geocaching Association "Aurora Borealis" coin am not sure if I should keep it or pass it along.

I'm new to the coins and just want to do the right thing.

Thanks!

The_Wanderers

Sorry if this has been answered before but I have searched the forums for information of Geocoin etiquette and procedures and have not really found good answers (seems a bit vague). Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing with them. I understand that some are not trackable and can be kept and some are trackable (with a 6 character code). I also understand that some have a purpose and should be passed on to that purpose. Can one keep any that do not have a disignated purpose? Can I start just collecting these or is that not acceptable? For example, I just picked up a Minnesota Geocaching Association "Aurora Borealis" coin am not sure if I should keep it or pass it along.

Thanks!

The_Wanderers

If you find a coin in a cache, chances are that it belongs to someone else and is an activated traveling coin that is meant to move from cache to cache. (like a travel bug) Some coins have very small tracking numbers or the tracking number could be on the edge of the coin, so look closely to find out if it is a trackable coin. Once you find the tracking number you can look up the coin's mission and log the coin under trackables on geocaching.com.

IF the coin does happen to be nontrackable (no tracking number and no text that reads track at geocaching.com) then it is considered to be swag and can be kept but you should trade even or up for it. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

The_Wanderers

If you find a coin in a cache, chances are that it belongs to someone else and is an activated traveling coin that is meant to move from cache to cache. (like a travel bug) Some coins have very small tracking numbers or the tracking number could be on the edge of the coin, so look closely to find out if it is a trackable coin. Once you find the tracking number you can look up the coin's mission and log the coin under trackables on geocaching.com.

IF the coin does happen to be nontrackable (no tracking number and no text that reads track at geocaching.com) then it is considered to be swag and can be kept but you should trade even or up for it. :rolleyes:

I think the easiest way to tell if a trackable coin has been left to move on as a traveler or to keep as a trade item is to try logging it. If you get the coins info page complete with owner and goal-then it moves on. If you get the This trackable item hasn't been activated. Activate it now. then its a keeper. Of course you trade even for it, though. (Unless someone actually gives it to you).

If you consider that coins cost about $10 retail you can imagine that they are not free to take for the most part. On rare occasions they are not trackable (must say "Trackable on Geocaching.com" or "Trackable" somewhere to be trackable) and are mystery coins gifted to finders of the cache. Typically you want to trade even, trade up or leave it alone.

You can buy coins from retailers to create your own collection. Go to the Trackable Items tab on any Geocaching.com page and check out the Geocoins Home page for links to vendours and coin makers. There is always the secondary market where you can bid for geocoins but at much higher prices than you'd pay for them from the original vendour.

I also understand that some have a purpose and should be passed on to that purpose. Can one keep any that do not have a disignated purpose? Can I start just collecting these or is that not acceptable?

Also just to clarify that if the (activated) coin you find doesn't appear to have a mission, you can't keep it. If you grab it, log it and move it on shortly after, you will have done it's owner a good turn and probably got yourself an icon on your profile for doing it too :o

Russ

I realize that most of what follows will be "preaching to the chior"

I am also aware that in all likelyhood, the people who most need the information do not visit this forum

but I just gotta say it, so here goes . . .

much of the confusion and incorrect behavior concerning some trackable items can be laid at the feet of the owners of said trackable items

if trackable items have a tag or sleeve or envelope with instructions, things tend to go a lot smoother

to release a coin or bug and hope that everybody who encounters it will know the rules is "optimistic", to say the least

if it has a mission, it seems wise to attach a tag that describes that mission

if it is swag to be traded for, putting it in an envelope with a note that makes that clear would be recommended

it is an excellent idea to print the "this is not an ordinary trading item" page, and include it with the coin/bug

in short, if one lets people know what the item is and what the expectations for it are, then the odds improve that the item in question will be treated as desired

there - I'm done - I feel a lot better now - thanks for listening

I realize that most of what follows will be "preaching to the chior"

I am also aware that in all likelyhood, the people who most need the information do not visit this forum

but I just gotta say it, so here goes . . .

much of the confusion and incorrect behavior concerning some trackable items can be laid at the feet of the owners of said trackable items

if trackable items have a tag or sleeve or envelope with instructions, things tend to go a lot smoother

Hate to say it BUT - I use the flip plastic envelope to place my Mission and "This is NOT yours to keep" message... Plastic seal, add wide packaging tape...

And still I get messages from cachers that all they found was the tag....

it is an excellent idea to print the "this is not an ordinary trading item" page, and include it with the coin/bug

Excellent timing on this, where could I find said page? I sent out a couple of TBs when I was newer to this and they have gone missing. I now have a coin and was looking for the 'mission sheet' to go with it before I release it.

I've searched GC.com but can't find a template.

Excellent timing on this, where could I find said page? I sent out a couple of TBs when I was newer to this and they have gone missing. I now have a coin and was looking for the 'mission sheet' to go with it before I release it.

Display your TB's page, in the upper right there is a box called Trackable Item Options, in it there is a link called Print Info Sheet.

Display your TB's page, in the upper right there is a box called Trackable Item Options, in it there is a link called Print Info Sheet.

Oh man, I thought I looked everywhere! that was too easy. Thanks