Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx Vs 60Csx is it really worth the extra cash?

ethanbl

I currently have a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx, which I aboslutley love! It's a great unit. However, I have spotted a new GPSMAP 60Csx for 200.00 on my local craigslist, and i've been wondering if it's time to sell my Cx, and upgrade. I have heard stories of having to recalibrate the compass a lot on the trail, and I have heard that the Csx isnt that much better than the Cx, even though it's only just some added features, is it really worth it to upgrade? Before my Cx, I had a CS with the compass and altimiter, I miss the alitmeter, but not the compass, that's why I'm wary of upgrading. Please let me know!

Don't know....I have a 60CSx and I really like everything about it...even recalculating the compass as needed. It is a minor thing. I have mention before that sometimes after logging a cache and stating for the next cache location, I may have to make an extra turn such as, a 180 or 270 degrees, but that too is minor...I think the 60CSx is the "cat's meow"...So to speak...Happy caching and good luck.

Edited by Wild Thing 73

I don't use the compass that often, but $200 sounds like a steal (hopefully not literally?). Some observations:

I do find myself calibrating the compass often. You MUST recalibrate it every time you change the batteries. It takes less than a minute and is simple to do.

Besides the compass, the "s" model comes with a barometer/altimeter. Some Earthcaches I've done require you to log altitudes or changes in altitude. Don't know how you'd do that without an "s" unit.

It's also fun to look at the altitude plot when you're driving through the mountains.

The barometer can be set to acquire data even when the GPSr is off. This can be handy if you know anything about weather forecasting.

. . . while other people actually learn how to use the compass, and are very happy with it. :o

I know how to use the compass, and I like it. But, it's a pain because it frequently needs to be calibrated and keeps saying to hold it level, even though it is. I used to not mind doing the circle dance, but it got to be a pain every 3rd cache, so I shut it off.

At that price, I would grab it quick.

The compass does need to be calibrated after changing the batteries.To do that is only a matter of pushing two buttons, laying the unit in the palm of your hand, and spinning it around twice. It takes less than a minute. I've never had to recalibrate the compass during a day of use.

The unit does nag you to hold it level while the compass is turned on because it works like a "real" compass, and must be truly level to swing freely. That's just part of using a compass. If that annoys you , you can easily turn off the compass on the 60CSx, and turn it on again only when you feel the need to use it. All you need do is hold down one button a few seconds to turn it on/off.

You will appreciate the extra accuracy provided by having the compass, and even if you don't and use it with the compass off most of the time, you will enjoy having the altimeter/barometer again when you want to use that feature.

I just bought a new 60 csx on ebay for $280. I love it . Yes it is true about the compass needing the calibration done , but I dont think I will use it as much as the other features . I also bought a 8GB micro card that works great . I was worried it wouldnt work with the bigger sdhc cards , but it does .

If you are wondering if your just better off with the other version GPS , just check out garmin's website . You can compare all the mapping handhelds there and see if it is worth the extra features .

Edited by Buckdown

WE HAVE THE GARMIN 60CSX AND LOVE IT. BUT RECENTLY WE HAVE NOTICED THAT WHEN WE ARE COMING TO A CACHE THAT THE NEEDLE IS NOT POINTING IN THE DIRECTION OF THE CACHE BUT RATHER 90 TO 180 DEGREES OFF. IT IS FRUSTRATING AND SO FAR WE HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW TO CORRECT IT. WE'VE RECALIBRATED IT BUT IT HAPPENS REGARDLESS OF CHANGING BATTERIES OR NOT HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THAT PROBLEM. WE SEARCHED THE GARMIN SITE BUT COULDN'T FIND A SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM. MANY THANKS! :o

WE HAVE THE GARMIN 60CSX AND LOVE IT. BUT RECENTLY WE HAVE NOTICED THAT WHEN WE ARE COMING TO A CACHE THAT THE NEEDLE IS NOT POINTING IN THE DIRECTION OF THE CACHE BUT RATHER 90 TO 180 DEGREES OFF. IT IS FRUSTRATING AND SO FAR WE HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW TO CORRECT IT. WE'VE RECALIBRATED IT BUT IT HAPPENS REGARDLESS OF CHANGING BATTERIES OR NOT HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THAT PROBLEM. WE SEARCHED THE GARMIN SITE BUT COULDN'T FIND A SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM. MANY THANKS! :o

I HAVE ONLY SEEN THIS HAPPEN WHEN IT NEEDS TO BE CALIBRATED. IF YOU HAVE CALIBRATED IT AND IT IS STILL HAPPENING THEN PERHAPS YOU HAVE A DEFECTIVE UNIT.

My compass has done some weird things when it needs to be calibrated. I've had it point 180 degrees the wrong way (like yours does) even though I'm walking towards the cache and the distance is going down.

Try calibrating it to see if that works.

From what i understand, having the compass turned on helps in finding a regular cache when you're standing still. So my question is, how often do you find yourself standing still when looking for a cache? I know i don't, at least not very often. But if i do stop for some reason and then want to know which way to go afterwards, i simply take a step or two which causes the arrow go back to pointing towards the goto i have punched in. I have a unit with the sensors and except for being curious or just playing around with them, have never used either the compass or the altimeter!

That being said, if you're shopping for a new unit then you certainly can't go wrong with a csx for only $200 since the cx model usually goes for even higher...

From what i understand, having the compass turned on helps in finding a regular cache when you're standing still. So my question is, how often do you find yourself standing still when looking for a cache? I know i don't, at least not very often. But if i do stop for some reason and then want to know which way to go afterwards, i simply take a step or two which causes the arrow go back to pointing towards the goto i have punched in. I have a unit with the sensors and except for being curious or just playing around with them, have never used either the compass or the altimeter!

I agree in that I rarely stand still when searching, especially for a regular. The compass is neat because if your GPS is showing that you're zero feet from the cache and then it settles down and then shows 30 feet off, you know what direction to head, but as you said, just take a couple steps and you'll know which way to head. I liked the compass when approaching a split in the trail. If you're unsure of what way to go, you can stop and the compass will point in the right direction, but if it's off and you take the wrong trail, you'll pretty much know it right away because the arrow will show the error after a few steps.

From what i understand, having the compass turned on helps in finding a regular cache when you're standing still. So my question is, how often do you find yourself standing still when looking for a cache? I know i don't, at least not very often.

You've mentioned just one of several situations where the compass is useful. Sight-N-Go waypoint marking is another (that's why the 60CSX has those "rifle sight" marks on the face).

I've been in heavy brush areas where it's simply not possible to take enough steps in a straight line to get a good directional reading without the electronic compass.

Orienting the map is another. When you're parked in the car, and start a driving route, the GPS is often of little help in telling you if you should turn left or right out of the parking lot onto the street. Activate the compass while on the map screen, and it become obvious.

From what i understand, having the compass turned on helps in finding a regular cache when you're standing still. So my question is, how often do you find yourself standing still when looking for a cache? I know i don't, at least not very often.

You've mentioned just one of several situations where the compass is useful. Sight-N-Go waypoint marking is another (that's why the 60CSX has those "rifle sight" marks on the face).

I've been in heavy brush areas where it's simply not possible to take enough steps in a straight line to get a good directional reading without the electronic compass.

Orienting the map is another. When you're parked in the car, and start a driving route, the GPS is often of little help in telling you if you should turn left or right out of the parking lot onto the street. Activate the compass while on the map screen, and it become obvious.

Yes, i know what you are saying. I have gotten into a parked vehicle, punched in a goto, and didn't know which direction to start off in. Like you, i have also cached in thick brush where i wasn't able to move easily. Still, neither of these circumstances has ever presented any kind of a problem. In the car, drive a few feet. In the brush, if i made my way into it, then i can at least make my way back the way i came and therefore get a reading.

I do agree that a correctly calibrated compass can be helpful in situations like these but the OP's question is whether it is worth the extra cash. A person needs to weigh the good with the bad. For me, the having to calibrate after every battery change, the obnoxious "hold level" alert, and the extra cost make it not worth it. I used a unit with the electronic compass for years and i can safely say that whether the compass was turned on or off made no difference in the finding of any of the caches i found. If anything, i can see it as being more of a hindrance if a person happens to forget to calibrate it... ;)