Vehicle travel bug

Ms Muffet

I just received a magnetic bug for my car and have placed the magnet on the back of the car and activated the number. I know that others might see it and log it, though am not exactly sure how they do that. Do they indicate "discovered it" or just write a note?

Do I indicate that the bug has visited the caches I find? I would imagine it's inappropriate me to log visits to my own two caches ... or is it?

Thanks for any advice!

Ms Muffet

I don't think there are any rules about logging it to any cache you visit... that is what people usually do with personal travel bugs. I wouldn't bother with my vehicle one though, I'd rather just have logs from others who saw it. Your bug so it is up to you how and when you log it.

If I saw a bug on a car, I would log a 'discovered it' and list where I saw the vehicle.

I just received a magnetic bug for my car and have placed the magnet on the back of the car and activated the number. I know that others might see it and log it, though am not exactly sure how they do that. Do they indicate "discovered it" or just write a note?

Do I indicate that the bug has visited the caches I find? I would imagine it's inappropriate me to log visits to my own two caches ... or is it?

Thanks for any advice!

Ms Muffet

If they see your car TB they would log a Discover.

I have my personal TB tag on my key chain so I do log it through caches I visit since I always have my keys with me. I normally don't log my car TB through caches, but hey if the tags on your keychain...

I log my visits to the caches I find (I have the dog tag on my key chain). That's just to get a rough idea how many miles I have traveled in the name of GeoCaching.

I ask that if anyone sees my travel bug (PowerStroke) that they discover it... leave a note on who, what, when, where, why, etc.

Good luck!

I have a Travel Bug on my car, but as yet no one has discovered it :D , although many curious muggles have asked what it is (good way to introduce them to Geocaching).

Maybe I just drive too fast and my bug is a blur all the time!! :D

I will keep an eye out for yours! :D

I have a Travel Bug on my car, but as yet no one has discovered it :rolleyes: , although many curious muggles have asked what it is (good way to introduce them to Geocaching).

Maybe I just drive too fast and my bug is a blur all the time!! :ph34r:

I will keep an eye out for yours! :rolleyes:

I have a magnetic TB on my truck and I usually just "dip" it into the caches I visit. It kind of keeps a running record of where I've cached.. :unsure:

I am just waiting for a bumper sticker to arrive and then i will see how often it will get logged.

Don't be disappointed if it only gets discovered at events. I've had mine on my jeep for sometime now and it hasn't been discovered on the open road yet. Many dscoveries at events though. One day it will be seen by a cacher on the open road. :rolleyes:

I am just waiting for a bumper sticker to arrive and then i will see how often it will get logged.

Don't be disappointed if it only gets discovered at events. I've had mine on my jeep for sometime now and it hasn't been discovered on the open road yet. Many dscoveries at events though. One day it will be seen by a cacher on the open road. :huh:

icon_discovered.gif 11/11/2007 Harry Dolphin discovered it

Andy Bear and I were working on the Tour de Cache Delorme Challenge, and we were headed east on Rte 36 in Hazlet. DNFed the cache but found this travel bug! Spotted on the Caravan. "Hey! Andy Bear! Look at that travel bug. Move up a few feet so I can read the number."

First one of these I've seen.

Ah, ya never know!

it would have to logged as "discovered". if "found" then that cacher would have it listed in their inventory and would be expected to "drop" it off at another cache.

we have one on my wifes minivan. it was spotted on some interstate in GA while on vacation (we live in NY). it was also spotted in the Walmart parking lot.

now im wondering... my wife no longer caches so i take my car. i want to put the "back up" sticker on my car. since this type of TB isn't designed for tracking milage, i dont see the harm in having the same # on both vehicles. I would of course mentioned this in the description and ask any loggers to mention while one they found. I know this is taboo for traditional TB's so i am still hesitant.

Edited by scotttyx

it would have to logged as "discovered". if "found" then that cacher would have it listed in their inventory and would be expected to "drop" it off at another cache.

we have one on my wifes minivan. it was spotted on some interstate in GA while on vacation (we live in NY). it was also spotted in the Walmart parking lot.

now im wondering... my wife no longer caches so i take my car. i want to put the "back up" sticker on my car. since this type of TB isn't designed for tracking milage, i dont see the harm in having the same # on both vehicles. I would of course mentioned this in the description and ask any loggers to mention while one they found. I know this is taboo for traditional TB's so i am still hesitant.

It's not so much a matter of taboo as it is guidelines. A sticker on a car is making it a TB and you cannot release two tb's with the same tracking number. I have a magnetic tag and can move it around.

You'll have to pick which vehicle you want to use.

Tonight we saw what appeared to be a travel bug on a car, this is something which we have never seen or heard of, so we followed them home trying to get the tracking number. We were not sure if it was really even a travel bug so we did not walk up to the owners when they got home (they went in their garage). This particular TB had very small print, so we were not able to get the number. This could be why they do not get logged often. Next time I see one (or this one in Troutdale) I will probably approach the owner. Can you believe that after we saw it, we hit every green light on the way home, the one time in my life I wanted a red light and I couldn't get one.

If they see your car TB they would log a Discover.

If they steal your car then they would log it as a Grab or Retrieve depending on where your car was last located. But they would be fools to do that, LOL.

Mostly they get seen at events and at cache parking areas when you are not FTF.

Edited by trainlove

I just got a magnetic one for the Durango. Now I have a reason to wash the thing; so I can put on the magnet and geocaching decals, lol.

I live in an area where we are sort of off the main road and there isn't really anyone reason to come to our neighborhood unless you are there for something. There is a short cut from one main road to another, but most people don't know it is there unless you live in the area. The other week I was leaving our area and there was a window cling on the back window of a truck that was the geocaching logo. I have been watching for that truck for weeks now to see if one of the neighbors cache; but I almost rearended it because I got excited, lol. I called my wife and said, "Guess what I just saw???" She wasn't as excited or impressed as I was. I might actually wreck if I saw a bug and was trying to write down the code.

I just received my magnetic TB the other day. I was so excited. I activated it right away. I've been really busy so just tonite I finally remembered to slap it on my car. I go to the back of my car and stick it on...it falls off onto the pavement. :( So...I pick it up and hold it against the liftgate. Plop. Falls to the pavement again. I'm not really comprehending. I keep trying to get it to stick. I look all over it to see if there is a peel off thing or something. Nope. Finally I go to the side of my car and...voila! It sticks!

It's beginning to dawn on me...the back end of my car is NOT METAL! :yikes: All these years and I never knew that. It looks the same as the rest of my car...feels the same. But I am assuming it is made of some kind of composite material.

I am so disappointed. :( I don't think it will get much notice on the side of my car. Little pile of money down the drain. I would have preferred a window cling but I didn't see those until after I already bought and received my magnet. I never thought to check to see if a magnet would stick to my car!

I would sell or give it away but I activated it. It would have at least made for a really good FTF prize or swag.

I guess I will look for someone around here who will adopt it.

Flame-retardant: I'm not criticizing the magnet TBs. I'm just lamenting about not being able to use it the way I was expecting to. :(

I would sell or give it away but I activated it. It would have at least made for a really good FTF prize or swag.

Flame-retardant: I'm not criticizing the magnet TBs. I'm just lamenting about not being able to use it the way I was expecting to. :yikes:

Same here. I had to stick my magnetic tag behind the rear passenger window. I would have rather stuck it on the tail-end but hey that's the current car model.

How much did you spend? Send me an email, I might be willing to buy it off you.

Flame-retardant: I'm not criticizing the magnet TBs. I'm just lamenting about not being able to use it the way I was expecting to. :yikes:

Same here. I had to stick my magnetic tag behind the rear passenger window. I would have rather stuck it on the tail-end but hey that's the current car model.

How much did you spend? Send me an email, I might be willing to buy it off you.

I can't see that there is anything stopping you having a decal made with the number on the magnetic travel bug on it; you could then either stick it to the tailgate or the window of your vehicle - you own the travel bug and its number, you would just need to make a change to the online details once you have done it!

I can't see that there is anything stopping you having a decal made with the number on the magnetic travel bug on it; you could then either stick it to the tailgate or the window of your vehicle - you own the travel bug and its number, you would just need to make a change to the online details once you have done it!

Time is stopping me. :) It would be easier to just bite the bullet and order a window-cling and sell/give the magnet TB away than to jump through hoops trying make this work for me. I don't have a lot of free time to run around getting a decal made.. I barely have time to go out caching a little bit.

But thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate that.

Oddly enough, a friend of mine just gave me a little "I love fox terriers" bone magnet so I now realize I can't put that on the back of my car either!

Owned my car for 10 years and didn't know the back end isn't metal. :blink:

Ok, Here Goes. I realize I am new here. But...not new to Geocaching........

If Vehicle Travel Bugs are mostly sighted at Events.....

Why? Can't each Geocacher at the Event (that see the VTB) "grab" it...

Then drop it back into the same Event?

Now, Once the Event is over the "Owner" grabs it back....

Still equals no miles. Yet each attendee (that see the VTB) gets the stat for the VTB.....?????

Edited by Marshall

Ok, Here Goes. I realize I am new here. But...not new to Geocaching........

If Vehicle Travel Bugs are mostly sighted at Events.....

Why? Can't each Geocacher at the Event (that see the VTB) "grab" it...

Then drop it back into the same Event?

Now, Once the Event is over the "Owner" grabs it back....

Still equals no miles. Yet each attendee (that see the VTB) gets the stat for the VTB.....?????

The logging options are exactly the same as any other travel bug. The owner could drop the bug into an event cache and get the mileage. People could retrieve it or Grab it away.

However the Discover option simply makes it easy for all involved. You log the Discover and you won't need to post a note on the cache dropping it back in.

The owner could just leave it out to an unknown location to get it out of their drop inventory and if you saw the bug on the road you can Discover it without the owner having to move it back to the great unknown.

My only Dissapointment (if you could call it that) with my magnetic TB is that it is so small. On the back tailgate of my truck it virtually disappears, so it being noticed while on the road is just about nill. I think the only way it would be seen is if someone is in gridlock traffic behind me, or notices it in a parking lot. I'm going to have a much larger vinyl decal made like on the VW Bug in post #23. That should give me a much greater chance of having the truck discovered while actually on the road where I spend most of my time.

...the back end of my car is NOT METAL!

Would you be opposed to a more permanent solution? There are a number of adhesives that would plant that sucker on there just fine. Heck, if you still have the dealership logo on the car, yank that off and use your TB magnet (with application of some gunk) to cover the same spot. I believe you can even purchase the commonly used adhesive that holds most dealership logos at a car parts store. You want something that *could* be removed in the future but with some effort and without ripping a chunk of your car off.

how do you "dip" it?

I have a Travel Bug on my car, but as yet no one has discovered it :( , although many curious muggles have asked what it is (good way to introduce them to Geocaching).

Maybe I just drive too fast and my bug is a blur all the time!! :D

I will keep an eye out for yours! <_<

I have a magnetic TB on my truck and I usually just "dip" it into the caches I visit. It kind of keeps a running record of where I've cached.. :huh: