National Parks?

JamesWat

James

You're quite correct in that National Parks are run by state governments, each with their own set of rules. In NSW, geocaching is not allowed. Other states are lenient in their approach.

The approach in Tasmania (from what I understand) is that most geocachers won't place them in national parks because each park has an entrance fee.

As Andrew suggests, I'd go to the Tasmanian section of the GCA forums.

Darren

I dont know what the "rules" are in Victoria but there are 12 geocaches in Wilson's Prom NP and about 10 in The Grampians NP. There are fees to get into both these parks. I have noticed on Google Earth that there are other caches around the state in Parks which probably do not have entry fees - NP, CP and others.

Misty

As far as I understand, Victoria is tolerant of geocaching. The ranger I spoke to at Brisbane Ranges (near Geelong) appreciates knowing where geocachers intend to place them.

Best bet for Mexicans is to speak to the Head Ranger beforehand if you plan to place a cache in 'their' backyard. Locals maybe able to provide more information.

BTW - I found the cache near the lighthouse. Environmentally, very little to no impact from this cache.

James

You're quite correct in that National Parks are run by state governments, each with their own set of rules. In NSW, geocaching is not allowed. Other states are lenient in their approach.

The approach in Tasmania (from what I understand) is that most geocachers won't place them in national parks because each park has an entrance fee.

As Andrew suggests, I'd go to the Tasmanian section of the GCA forums.

Darren

im pretty sure we can hide geocaches in new south wales np. I have found a few in blue mountains, and others including royal....shoudl these not be there?, i ma looking at hiding one so i wanna get hte laws right?

please help

dogboy

From the NSW Parks website.

Geocaching is not permitted in protected areas managed by the NPWS.

As an activity organised from the internet, geocaching events have indefinite time frames and undefined numbers of participants, rendering management of the activity ineffective.

While it is recognised that geocaching shares some common attributes with orienteering and rogaining, there is also an insufficient nexus between geocaching as a recreational activity and the conservation purpose for which NPWS protected areas are reserved or dedicated.

A full copy of the policy is available at http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/policies...eringpolicy.htm